Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is ACC football on the verge of greatness?
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation Is ACC football on the verge of greatness?
This is a portion of Stewart Mandel's answer to one question in his college football mailbag:

Quote:Q: With Clemson's big win over Georgia, it seems like the perception of ACC football may be changing. This would be especially true if Miami can pull off the upset over Florida this weekend. Could the ACC finally be considered a great football conference in the near future? With the addition of Louisville and the "partial" addition of Notre Dame, it seems like the league is on an upward trajectory.
-- Ben Stafford, Denver, Colo.

A: I'm hesitant to predict all-out greatness because I feel like the league has teased us many, many times in the past. However, while watching the Jameis Winston Show on Monday night, it occurred to me that the ACC may have a chance to enjoy the long-awaited national spotlight it envisioned back when it went all-in on football in 2003. Florida State, as I suspected, is really freaking good. I knew the 'Noles had top-five-caliber talent, but so much was dependent on the performance of their redshirt freshman quarterback. Well, it turns out that redshirt freshman already has the poise and command of a fourth-year junior to go with his size, cannon of an arm and running ability. Meanwhile, Clemson has knocked off consecutive top-10 SEC foes dating back to last year's bowl game. Behind Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins, the Tigers boast one of the most dangerous offenses in the country.

...if Florida State and Clemson do meet each other as unbeatens, they would likely be two top-five teams playing in an ACC game with national championship implications in the second half of the season. That last happened in 2005 (Miami-Virginia Tech). If the 'Canes were to beat Florida this week, suddenly they'd join the national conversation, too. So there's definitely an opportunity this year for the ACC to make some noise before even bringing Louisville into the fold.

So close, I can almost smell it.
09-04-2013 03:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
RE: Is ACC football on the verge of greatness?
(09-04-2013 03:59 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  This is a portion of Stewart Mandel's answer to one question in his college football mailbag:

Quote:Q: With Clemson's big win over Georgia, it seems like the perception of ACC football may be changing. This would be especially true if Miami can pull off the upset over Florida this weekend. Could the ACC finally be considered a great football conference in the near future? With the addition of Louisville and the "partial" addition of Notre Dame, it seems like the league is on an upward trajectory.
-- Ben Stafford, Denver, Colo.

A: I'm hesitant to predict all-out greatness because I feel like the league has teased us many, many times in the past. However, while watching the Jameis Winston Show on Monday night, it occurred to me that the ACC may have a chance to enjoy the long-awaited national spotlight it envisioned back when it went all-in on football in 2003. Florida State, as I suspected, is really freaking good. I knew the 'Noles had top-five-caliber talent, but so much was dependent on the performance of their redshirt freshman quarterback. Well, it turns out that redshirt freshman already has the poise and command of a fourth-year junior to go with his size, cannon of an arm and running ability. Meanwhile, Clemson has knocked off consecutive top-10 SEC foes dating back to last year's bowl game. Behind Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins, the Tigers boast one of the most dangerous offenses in the country.

...if Florida State and Clemson do meet each other as unbeatens, they would likely be two top-five teams playing in an ACC game with national championship implications in the second half of the season. That last happened in 2005 (Miami-Virginia Tech). If the 'Canes were to beat Florida this week, suddenly they'd join the national conversation, too. So there's definitely an opportunity this year for the ACC to make some noise before even bringing Louisville into the fold.

So close, I can almost smell it.

You and me both Brother!!!!!!04-cheers

This New and Improved ACC is going to ROCK!!!!!!!04-rock
FlossY out...07-coffee3
09-04-2013 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
I think Stewart described it well... cautiously optimistic is probably the best place to be until the Clemson-FSU game.
09-04-2013 04:11 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Clemson has been in the ACC for many decades and FSU has been in over 20 years. They are the ones carrying the ACC right now. There is nothing "new and improved" about it so far. The new was the team that FSU hammered on national TV on Labor Day.

It's still FSU, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech. Hopefully UNC and GT get better and the other new ones improve as well. But right now it isn't the new members that are carrying the banner
09-04-2013 04:45 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(09-04-2013 04:45 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Clemson has been in the ACC for many decades and FSU has been in over 20 years. They are the ones carrying the ACC right now. There is nothing "new and improved" about it so far. The new was the team that FSU hammered on national TV on Labor Day.

It's still FSU, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech. Hopefully UNC and GT get better and the other new ones improve as well. But right now it isn't the new members that are carrying the banner.

Why does being new or not matter when it comes to perception of the conference's football strength?
09-04-2013 04:55 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Swinney's take
http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/2013/08...nd-debate/

Quote:He swatted at the notion Clemson played this game for conference pride.

“We have all the respect in the world for the SEC but it’s not about a league. It’s about a program,” he said. “These guys don’t feel like they take a backseat to anybody.

And in the ACC teleconference today when asked if it was a statement win for the ACC:

Quote:"I don't know if it's a statement for the ACC. It's a statement for Clemson. That's just what I believe."
09-04-2013 05:08 PM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

(09-04-2013 04:55 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 04:45 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Clemson has been in the ACC for many decades and FSU has been in over 20 years. They are the ones carrying the ACC right now. There is nothing "new and improved" about it so far. The new was the team that FSU hammered on national TV on Labor Day.

It's still FSU, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech. Hopefully UNC and GT get better and the other new ones improve as well. But right now it isn't the new members that are carrying the banner.

Why does being new or not matter when it comes to perception of the conference's football strength?

Multiple posters have said "the new and improved" ACC is going to rock when the article is talking about mostly teams that have been here for awhile.

Also what ND does really doesn't reflect on the ACC. They are a partner but they aren't an ACC football team
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 05:13 PM by Ragu.)
09-04-2013 05:12 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

And Swinney is right on. It is about the program and not the league. Pitt, Syracuse and Duke fans taking credit for what the tops teams are doing would be just as stupid as Miss St and Kentucky fans chanting "SEC SEC" especially after Kentucky just lost to Western Kentucky for the 2nd year in a row...
09-04-2013 05:14 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
RE: Is ACC football on the verge of a return to greatness?
Fixed the title for you.

If FSU, Miami, and Clemson can become forces this year and if the promise of UofL and VT is realized, then the ACC will be a force to be reckoned with.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 05:48 PM by Dasville.)
09-04-2013 05:47 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(09-04-2013 05:12 PM)Ragu Wrote:  

Multiple posters have said "the new and improved" ACC is going to rock when the article is talking about mostly teams that have been here for awhile.

Also what ND does really doesn't reflect on the ACC. They are a partner but they aren't an ACC football team

The ACC has 5 opportunities to beat ND. A ND win means little to the ACC, but an ACC win over ND means a lot! If we beat them multiple times in one season on national TV, that carries some weight!
09-04-2013 05:54 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I think if Miami wins this weekend we start to rock that ship in the right direction. A win over Florida puts us Top 15 at least and like some have speculated into the BCS spotlight too. Assuming we win...

If we do, it could be one of the biggest wins we've had since the 2001 national championship game over Nebraska.
09-04-2013 06:19 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
I think by "new" they just mean since the addition of Miami who was the major football player the ACC added (along with VT). Since that point it's felt like the ACC has underachieved compared to the hype of having Miami on board.

I'm also going to throw this out there - for as good as FSU is, Pitt is likely awful. It's going to take a few weeks to sort out who's who in the zoo. I just look at FSU and think they did what they should have in the opener, perhaps a bit better than expected. Still, there's a real chance Pitt is a terrible team. It's hard to gauge how good FSU is based on just that one game.
09-04-2013 06:59 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(09-04-2013 06:59 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  I'm also going to throw this out there - for as good as FSU is, Pitt is likely awful. It's going to take a few weeks to sort out who's who in the zoo. I just look at FSU and think they did what they should have in the opener, perhaps a bit better than expected. Still, there's a real chance Pitt is a terrible team. It's hard to gauge how good FSU is based on just that one game.

Terrible? If you are then Chryst isn't the right coach.

A lot easier to gauge how good FSU is than it is to gauge the 15-20 teams in the top 25 that played scrubs the first week.
09-04-2013 07:27 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
ACC greatness? You hear this same crap every year.
09-04-2013 08:22 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(09-04-2013 08:22 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  ACC greatness? You hear this same crap every year.

I kind of agree. To quote Bill Parcells, "Don't tell me about the pain; Show me the baby".

Lets see if all members of the ACC (new & old) pick it up in football. I hope Syracuse does...
09-04-2013 08:33 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(09-04-2013 05:54 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 05:12 PM)Ragu Wrote:  

The ACC has 5 opportunities to beat ND. A ND win means little to the ACC, but an ACC win over ND means a lot! If we beat them multiple times in one season on national TV, that carries some weight!

And 5 games on national tv against a quality opponent in front of a significant audience. Another selling point for everyone's recruiting effort.
09-04-2013 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2013 08:22 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  ACC greatness? You hear this same crap every year.

You should know better than to spew that garbage... in the past, some ACC teams would've lost to FCS teams and/or lower-ranked FBS. That didn't happen this year (and, oh by the way, it DID happen to every other P5 conference - including the SEC).

I think it's very hypocritical to complain about how being in the ACC drags down your program, but then when YOUR team wins, it isn't an ACC win. Bull. Either every team affects every other, or they don't - you can't have it both ways (IMO they do affect each other, but don't take my word for it, ask some team that was lousy before joining the SEC - like S. Carolina)

You guys (and you know who you are) seem to be able to find something bad to say even in the best of situations. Give me a break!
[/rant]
09-04-2013 09:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

09-04-2013 09:05 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-04-2013 09:04 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

You should know better than to spew that garbage... in the past, some ACC teams would've lost to FCS teams and/or lower-ranked FBS. That didn't happen this year (and, oh by the way, it DID happen to every other P5 conference - including the SEC).

I think it's very hypocritical to complain about how being in the ACC drags down your program, but then when YOUR team wins, it isn't an ACC win. Bull. Either every team affects every other, or they don't - you can't have it both ways (IMO they do affect each other, but don't take my word for it, ask some team that was lousy before joining the SEC - like S. Carolina)

You guys (and you know who you are) seem to be able to find something bad to say even in the best of situations. Give me a break!
[/rant]

What exactly did the ACC have to do with Clemson's win over UGA other than two paint spots on the field and some embroidered letters on our jersey?
09-04-2013 10:10 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2013 10:10 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  What exactly did the ACC have to do with Clemson's win over UGA other than two paint spots on the field and some embroidered letters on our jersey?

Straw man argument. The real question is: "what does the success of ACC football have to do with Clemson getting into the BCS Title Game or the 4-team playoffs"? Answer: strength of schedule. If the rest of the conference loses OOC, it won't matter whether you beat them. On the other hand, as long as the rest of the ACC does well, your team's victories matter, nationally.
09-04-2013 10:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.