Boeheim Talks--Lots of Good Stuff on Former Coaches/Players
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Boeheim Talks--Lots of Good Stuff on Former Coaches/Players
http://syracusefan.com/threads/fans-can-...age.58212/

Coach Boeheim was in NYC taping the YES Network CenterStage

Thanks to Forza Azzuri this is what he said

Quote:Really great interview. Very glad I went.

The interview covered JB's entire career - from growing up in Lyons through the move to the ACC.

Although I had already heard many of the stories, here are some of the stories that I had never heard, as well as JB's answers to certain questions posed by Michael Kay.

JB played against Tom Coughlin's high school (Waterloo) in hoops. It was unclear to me if he actually played against Coughlin since Coughlin is a couple years younger. JB was also Coughlin's RA when Coughlin was at Syracuse. JB said that Coughlin was one of the quietest, most mild-mannered guys on his floor - something at odds with his demeanor as an NFL coach.

Kay asked JB if he could turn back the clock and change the outcome of one game, what would it be? His answer was the sectional final his senior year against East Rochester - a triple overtime loss. He did say that had he not won it all in 2003, he is not sure that his answer would not have been the 87 game.

In his mind, his biggest recruiting miss was Sam Perkins.

Not sure what year this was but his coach at Scranton moved to the Pistons and offered JB a spot on the team. JB turned down a spot in the NBA because he knew he wasn't good enough to last in the NBA and because he had a good coaching situation at Syracuse at the time.

He clearly has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. Kay asked him if he was ever jealous of another coach. JB said that he envied Coach K's "mental approach to coaching". He did not elaborate on what that meant but clearly holds him in the highest regard.

Kay asked him what one coach he would not want to see on the other sideline for a NC game and his answer was Pitino.

His three top collegiate players in the last fifty years are Ewing, Mullin and Carmelo. Interestingly, his first two answers came out without hesitation. He paused and thought for a few before naming Carmelo. While he was thinking, I whispered "Carmelo" to the guy sitting next to me - so I got that right.

Said that the Pearl completely changed the nation's perception about SU. He said that he went out to California before Pearl and kids would have no idea where Syracuse was. After Pearl, he would go out there and baggage handlers in the airport would be telling him, "You're the Pearl's coach."

The one player that he never coached but really would have liked to is Chris Mullin. JB called him the smartest college basketball player he's ever seen.

He said that you cannot be a successful coach unless you are the most competitive guy in the room. And among all the most competitive guys in the room (ie. successful coaches), he called Calhoun the most, most competitive.

Of his early contemporaries in the Big East, he has the fondest memories of Carnasecca. Said he competed like he!! during each and every game but, when the game was over, he was a complete gentlemen each and every time.

Asked to name his biggest overachiever, he named GMAC - called him the toughest player he's ever coached.

He is writing a book with Jack McCallum which is due out next September.
09-25-2013 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
RE: Boeheim Talks--Lots of Good Stuff on Former Coaches/Players
(09-25-2013 10:58 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  http://syracusefan.com/threads/fans-can-...age.58212/

Coach Boeheim was in NYC taping the YES Network CenterStage

Thanks to Forza Azzuri this is what he said

Quote:Really great interview. Very glad I went.

The interview covered JB's entire career - from growing up in Lyons through the move to the ACC.

Although I had already heard many of the stories, here are some of the stories that I had never heard, as well as JB's answers to certain questions posed by Michael Kay.

JB played against Tom Coughlin's high school (Waterloo) in hoops. It was unclear to me if he actually played against Coughlin since Coughlin is a couple years younger. JB was also Coughlin's RA when Coughlin was at Syracuse. JB said that Coughlin was one of the quietest, most mild-mannered guys on his floor - something at odds with his demeanor as an NFL coach.

Kay asked JB if he could turn back the clock and change the outcome of one game, what would it be? His answer was the sectional final his senior year against East Rochester - a triple overtime loss. He did say that had he not won it all in 2003, he is not sure that his answer would not have been the 87 game.

In his mind, his biggest recruiting miss was Sam Perkins.

Not sure what year this was but his coach at Scranton moved to the Pistons and offered JB a spot on the team. JB turned down a spot in the NBA because he knew he wasn't good enough to last in the NBA and because he had a good coaching situation at Syracuse at the time.

He clearly has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach K. Kay asked him if he was ever jealous of another coach. JB said that he envied Coach K's "mental approach to coaching". He did not elaborate on what that meant but clearly holds him in the highest regard.

Kay asked him what one coach he would not want to see on the other sideline for a NC game and his answer was Pitino.

His three top collegiate players in the last fifty years are Ewing, Mullin and Carmelo. Interestingly, his first two answers came out without hesitation. He paused and thought for a few before naming Carmelo. While he was thinking, I whispered "Carmelo" to the guy sitting next to me - so I got that right.

Said that the Pearl completely changed the nation's perception about SU. He said that he went out to California before Pearl and kids would have no idea where Syracuse was. After Pearl, he would go out there and baggage handlers in the airport would be telling him, "You're the Pearl's coach."

The one player that he never coached but really would have liked to is Chris Mullin. JB called him the smartest college basketball player he's ever seen.

He said that you cannot be a successful coach unless you are the most competitive guy in the room. And among all the most competitive guys in the room (ie. successful coaches), he called Calhoun the most, most competitive.

Of his early contemporaries in the Big East, he has the fondest memories of Carnasecca. Said he competed like he!! during each and every game but, when the game was over, he was a complete gentlemen each and every time.

Asked to name his biggest overachiever, he named GMAC - called him the toughest player he's ever coached.

He is writing a book with Jack McCallum which is due out next September.

Nice find Mark. It doesnt surprise me at all that Pitino is the coach that JB would least like to coach against in a championship game since Pitino is like 10-6 vs JB.
09-29-2013 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
unghadd Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Boeheim Talks--Lots of Good Stuff on Former Coaches/Players
Never knew SU was that close to signing Perkins. Centerstage is my favorite talk show. Kay is one of the best sport interviewers in america.
10-01-2013 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.