Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merck to fire 8500 employees
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Merck to fire 8500 employees
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01...cmpid=yhoo

That's a pretty big number, IMO. All in R&D too.

Other than Toys R Us hiring seasonal sales people, and evil oil companies, who is actually growing?

Enjoy the decline, it's progressives' dream come true.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 11:36 AM by DrTorch.)
10-01-2013 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: Merck to fire 8500
It's more like a shareholder's dream. Look at what the stock is doing.
10-01-2013 07:33 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
Except most shareholders are employees, retard.
10-01-2013 07:56 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I knew a guy a loooong time ago who actually made cocaine for Merck. Don't remember why exactly.
10-01-2013 08:12 AM
DrTorch Offline

(10-01-2013 07:33 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  It's more like a shareholder's dream. Look at what the stock is doing.

That's a peculiar and inconsistent response from somoene who "champions the little guy" and who defends labor unions and gov't employees.
10-01-2013 08:25 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Except most shareholders are employees, retard.

The retard aside, I have never seen that metric but it would be a good one for a company. Most companies have share buyback progams but I don't think it's a set number. MRK has 2.93 B shares outstanding. I know you are simple but do you really think Merck has 2.93 billion employess? What percent of floating stock would the employess carry. Less than 3% is my guess Jer Jer.
10-01-2013 08:27 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-01-2013 08:27 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Except most shareholders are employees, retard.

The retard aside, I have never seen that metric but it would be a good one for a company. Most companies have share buyback progams but I don't think it's a set number. MRK has 2.93 B shares outstanding. I know you are simple but do you really think Merck has 2.93 billion employess? What percent of floating stock would the employess carry. Less than 3% is my guess Jer Jer.

Seriously doubt an employee would only have 1 share of stock so your math is a little off. However, most shares are probably held by institutinal investors and not individuals so your point is taken. Actually, it's advised that employees do not own so much of their company's stock. Enron should ring a bell.
10-01-2013 08:29 AM
Machiavelli Offline

btw it's up over a dollar in pre marke trade. That's adding..... let's see Jer Jer.... If we add a dollar to a stock and we have 2.93 B outstanding shres. What did this move make the stock? Come on Jer Jer..... I think you can do it and then Torch. Do you really think you can get in front of that bus? Then on top of that.... are you really that stupid to blame progressives? Follow the money morons.
10-01-2013 08:30 AM
Machiavelli Offline

up a 1.33 as I type.
10-01-2013 08:32 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Employee cutbacks always have an immediate upward effect on stock prices. The problem is that cutting R&D may have a negative long term impact. However, Merck announced that they were going to "focus" R&D on the areas which have the biggest paybacks. So maybe we'll get a better erectile dysfunction drug but some poor guy suffering from an orphan disease will probably not see a pharmaceutical treatment in his lifetime.

Pharmaceuticals have been the greatest contributor to health in the last 50 years than any other medical treatment. Just look at the new drugs like statins and even AIDS treatments that have directly led to longer life spans.
10-01-2013 08:41 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Employee cutbacks always have an immediate upward effect on stock prices. The problem is that cutting R&D may have a negative long term impact. However, Merck announced that they were going to "focus" R&D on the areas which have the biggest paybacks. So maybe we'll get a better erectile dysfunction drug but some poor guy suffering from an orphan disease will probably not see a pharmaceutical treatment in his lifetime.

Pharmaceuticals have been the greatest contributor to health in the last 50 years than any other medical treatment. Just look at the new drugs like statins and even AIDS treatments that have directly led to longer life spans.
10-01-2013 08:41 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Up 1.57................... Let's see Jer Jer. Can we somehow figure out how much this move made the company. I know you can do it Jer Jer!
10-01-2013 08:43 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

(10-01-2013 08:30 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  btw it's up over a dollar in pre marke trade. That's adding..... let's see Jer Jer.... If we add a dollar to a stock and we have 2.93 B outstanding shres. What did this move make the stock? Come on Jer Jer..... I think you can do it and then Torch. Do you really think you can get in front of that bus? Then on top of that.... are you really that stupid to blame progressives? Follow the money morons.

You've completely lost it. You, like Obama, hide behind social engineering when all you really give two craps about is making yourself some quick cash. I did that math right.

BTW - my math says that about 10 Million shares were held by these 8500 employees, but since that's a drop in the bucket who cares? If people had 1990's money to set aside for retirement, it would be closer to 40 million shares... still negligible, right Mach?
10-01-2013 08:44 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Jerry. You think those 8500 people owned 10,000,000 shares?

Where do you get those numbers?

Pulledoyofmyasses.com?
10-01-2013 08:47 AM
DrTorch Offline

(10-01-2013 08:44 AM)Jerry Falwell Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 08:30 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  btw it's up over a dollar in pre marke trade. That's adding..... let's see Jer Jer.... If we add a dollar to a stock and we have 2.93 B outstanding shres. What did this move make the stock? Come on Jer Jer..... I think you can do it and then Torch. Do you really think you can get in front of that bus? Then on top of that.... are you really that stupid to blame progressives? Follow the money morons.

You've completely lost it. You, like Obama, hide behind social engineering when all you really give two craps about is making yourself some quick cash.

That's what it has always been about for mach. He's Fred Kinnan, only not even that honest.
10-01-2013 08:48 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Fred Kinnan

Fred is one of the book's most outspokenly cynical characters. Like Floyd Ferris, he doesn't mind cutting through the crap and admitting to what's really going on, which people like James and Eugene Lawson find horrible and upsetting. Fred sums himself and his role in the world up quite nicely here:

"I'm a racketeer – but I know it and my boys know it, and they know that I'll pay off. Not out of the kindness of my heart, either, and not a cent more than I can get away with.... Sure it makes me sick sometimes, it makes me sick right now, but it's not me who's built this kind of world – you did – so I'm playing the game as you've set it up and I'm going to play it for as long as it lasts – which isn't going to be long for any of us." (2.6.1.111)

Unlike Dr. Ferris, Fred is very much a pragmatist. He isn't ideological at all; he's just trying to survive in whatever system happens to be in power. While Ferris quotes party lines and rhetoric (however ironically) Kinnan makes sarcastic and cutting comments that blast meaningless rhetoric to smithereens and send people like James into hysterics.

"Say," asked Kinnan, "how is the emergency to end if everything is to stand still?"

"Don't be theoretical," said Mouch impatiently. (2.6.1.187-8)

Fred Kinnan has some of the funniest dialogue in the book. Granted, it's dark humor, but it's still funny.

Fred is also the first to concede something akin to defeat to John Galt, pragmatist that he is. Overall, Fred Kinnan really stands out among the looters for being willing to say what many of them are thinking: they're in it for the power, and they're all doomed.

I haven't read the book but that sentence I bolded describes me to a tee. I will always find a way to survive and profit off of any situation. DAMN I THINK TORCH NAILED IT!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 08:56 AM by Machiavelli.)
10-01-2013 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

and I've often wondered even to myself if I could flip sides on the abortion debate if D's were pro life and R's were pro choice. Back when we were losing elections because of it I think I easily could have switched. I'm pragmatic... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th............ The ends do justify the means with me.................. It's always the end game with me. Very very insightful Torch.
10-01-2013 09:03 AM
Machiavelli Offline

I had you at +2 and I could only give you +1 more.
10-01-2013 09:06 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Now back to how stupid Jerry is.................................
10-01-2013 09:12 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

(10-01-2013 08:47 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Jerry. You think those 8500 people owned 10,000,000 shares?

Where do you get those numbers?

Pulledoyofmyasses.com?

Actually I considered how much stock the average American has (I shouldn't have to tell you it's a sad number), figured half of it was corporate stock as they had a stock option plan in their benefits, and what the shares are selling at.

Math isn't hard when you have realistic numbers and can draw realistic conclusions, but please continue showing your true colors Comrade. The point is that a lot of people lost their jobs and you're throwing a party over making $100.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 10:22 AM by Jerry Falwell.)
10-01-2013 10:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.