I Root For: Cincinnati
BEast adds two bowls

05-01-2006 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sm00r Offline
1st String

I Root For:

If the conference gets to where it wants to be in a few years regarding overall strength of teams, I can't see these bowls lasting very long.

05-01-2006 04:33 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Good its a Saturday and further South and within a drive for about 1/2 the Big East ....Bad its the weekend of Christmas!

05-01-2006 04:35 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Agreed,

The International Bowl has a fighting chance for survival because of the January 6th date. The Birmingham Bowl is dead on arrival. Who wants to go to Birmingham two days before Christmas to watch the 4-5 C-USA team against the 6th place Big East team?

05-01-2006 05:30 PM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators

WacoBearcat Wrote:Agreed,

The International Bowl has a fighting chance for survival because of the January 6th date. The Birmingham Bowl is dead on arrival. Who wants to go to Birmingham two days before Christmas to watch the 4-5 C-USA team against the 6th place Big East team?

Me! 04-rock

I've been to both Motor City Bowls and the NO Bowl, I am starved for success for UC FB.

05-01-2006 07:28 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

I would go too, but the problem is getting the 10,000 you need to attend on dates that are not convenient for the masses. Anyone who fought their way home from Ft. Worth can relate.

05-02-2006 07:22 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Am I missing something here or am I doing the math wrong.

There are now 31 bowl games which would include 62 teams. There are only 118 Division 1A teams which by mathematical reason would mean that only 59 teams will have a .500 record or better and get the minimum of 6 wins needed to be bowl eligible.

Additionally, the Big East has aligned itself 6 Bowls for a conference of 8 teams. I'm not sure if that is even realistically possible. That means that they are going to have to win most of their out of conference games just to have a shot to get 6 of the 8 teams with at least 6 wins.

05-02-2006 08:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

nachoman91 Wrote:Am I missing something here or am I doing the math wrong.

There are now 31 bowl games which would include 62 teams. There are only 118 Division 1A teams which by mathematical reason would mean that only 59 teams will have a .500 record or better and get the minimum of 6 wins needed to be bowl eligible.

Additionally, the Big East has aligned itself 6 Bowls for a conference of 8 teams. I'm not sure if that is even realistically possible. That means that they are going to have to win most of their out of conference games just to have a shot to get 6 of the 8 teams with at least 6 wins.

Unless games against 1-AA opponents count? I thought the same thing about the Big East. 3/4 of the teams will go to a bowl game if eligible. But that's the key - getting eligible. There may not be enough qualified candidates for all of these bowl games. I like watching them, and I'm all for a team getting to play in a bowl game, especially if it's UC, but it's bordering on absurd at this point.

05-02-2006 08:11 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Notre Dame could possibly take one of the Big East Bowls if they are not BCS bound. It also could be that a ninth memeber may be added sooner rather than later.

05-02-2006 08:21 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators

Bearcat T Wrote:I would go too, but the problem is getting the 10,000 you need to attend on dates that are not convenient for the masses. Anyone who fought their way home from Ft. Worth can relate.

Good news, Birmingham is 7.5 hours drive from Cincinnati (a lot closer than Fort Worth).

05-02-2006 08:48 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Crewdogz Wrote:
Bearcat T Wrote:I would go too, but the problem is getting the 10,000 you need to attend on dates that are not convenient for the masses. Anyone who fought their way home from Ft. Worth can relate.

Good news, Birmingham is 7.5 hours drive from Cincinnati (a lot closer than Fort Worth).

I'd go to that one. It would probably be a heck of a lot warmer than Detroit, also. Although Ft. Worth must have been pretty darn cold.

05-02-2006 09:14 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

yea, it was 70 for several days b-4 and 17 degees wind chill during the game! You just never know that time of the year in most places. It was about 30 for the Boise game and snow on the ground both trips to Detroit.
I think The only pretty day for a recent UC bowl game was in New Orleans and it was inside!

05-02-2006 09:45 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

The more bowls for us the better. It helps put us on par, perception wise, with conferences like the Big Ten, ACC and SEC, etc., to have the same number of bowls as them, even if they aren't necessarily as lucrative or celebrated.

05-02-2006 12:11 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I know this thread is kind of old (a few days ago) but do these bowls kick in this year? If that's the case UC has a chance to getting to 6-6 and getting to a bowl. That would help UC's rebuilding/recruiting emmensely as well as helping the Big East conference.

05-06-2006 05:53 PM
3rd Wise Man Offline
1st String

I Root For: X

i believe there are 119 teams now and with a twelfth game teams can be bowl eligible at 6-6.

31 bowls is ridiculous. we have bowls that feature teams that if they were playing each other during the regular season the game wouldn't even be on national television. everyone talks about all the money the bowls bring in. with the exception of eight bowls (maybe not even that many) the #16 seeds in the ncaa basketball tournament get a bigger payout than all the rest of the bowls. most of the bowl games generate the lowest tv ratings and overall attendance for the season. from a money standpoint and even from a gamesmanship standpoint, they'd be better off with just allowing teams who don't make the top eight bowls to play an additional regular season game. whoever hosts the game must return the game during the regular season the following year. at least that way teams would be able to draw a halfway decent crowd and probably make more money. $250k, which is what the ten lowest tier bowls pay, isn't much money at all for div1 football. uc probably made three or four times that by their one road game at penn state last season.

05-08-2006 12:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.