Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question on politeness
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Question on politeness
On more than one occasion I have had people, who have a high probability of coming from a different religion, wish me a Merry Christmas.

I don't wish to pry into their private lives, so I am unsure of their actual religous beliefs.

But that leaves me puzzled on how to respond to their greeting. Do I say "Merry Christmas" in return?

What's appropriate?
12-19-2013 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Question on politeness
(12-19-2013 04:10 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  On more than one occasion I have had people, who have a high probability of coming from a different religion, wish me a Merry Christmas.

I don't wish to pry into their private lives, so I am unsure of their actual religous beliefs.

But that leaves me puzzled on how to respond to their greeting. Do I say "Merry Christmas" in return?

What's appropriate?

If someone wishes you a Merry Christmas and you assume but do not know for a fact that they are a different religion, I would they are just being polite and it would be ok to wish them a Merry Christmas as well. After all, they started the exchange and you have no way of knowing for sure that they don't celebrate Christmas. Many people celebrate it even if they are not Christian.
12-19-2013 04:14 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Question on politeness
Merry Christmas. My wife's family doesn't celebrate for the same purpose as we do, but they still celebrate it. The people you're dealing with are probably the same.
12-19-2013 04:15 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(12-19-2013 04:10 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  On more than one occasion I have had people, who have a high probability of coming from a different religion, wish me a Merry Christmas.

What's appropriate?

A simple, "Thank you", seems appropriate.
12-19-2013 04:17 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish them one as well.

I try not to get into their motivations beyond just hoping I have a Merry Christmas.
12-19-2013 04:20 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
I default in excepting “Merry Christmas” as secular…. it’s pretty much become such, like using the phrase “good Samaritan”
12-19-2013 04:21 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(12-19-2013 04:20 PM)Smaug Wrote:  When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish them one as well.

I try not to get into their motivations beyond just hoping I have a Merry Christmas.

Wasn't questioning their motivations. Just trying to discern what is an ideal response to their friendly gesture.
12-19-2013 04:22 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-19-2013 04:22 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(12-19-2013 04:20 PM)Smaug Wrote:  When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish them one as well.

Wasn't questioning their motivations. Just trying to discern what is an ideal response to their friendly gesture.

I get you. If you're a celebratory sort, "Merry Christmas to you, too!" suffices.

If not, I guess a simple "Thank you" is appropriate.
12-19-2013 04:24 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Could be vague and respond with the socially homologous “happy holidays
12-19-2013 04:30 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
I think most people will interpret Merry Christmas as an expression of good will. If you know, for instance, that they are Muslim, and it is Eid, then I think they will appreciate Mubarak Eid from non-muslims, Persians Happy Nowruz. Jews might be a bit sensitive to "Happy Easter" (it's not uncommon to hear the Jews killed Jesus bit and also Easter is central to a history of anti-semitism in Europe... besides, for Jews, that's Passover), but I think most people of any religion would accept "Merry Christmas" as a gesture of goodwill, even detached from religious meaning.
12-19-2013 04:42 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma

What's appropriate?

I do not get this question. If they are wishing you a Merry Christmas, they celebrate it. Say Merry Christmas back and be done with it.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 04:53 PM by oklalittledixie.)
12-19-2013 04:51 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(12-19-2013 04:51 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

What's appropriate?

I do not get this question. If they are wishing you a Merry Christmas, they celebrate it.

I'm not comfortable assuming that. You might be right. But I'm unsure.
12-19-2013 05:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Nothing rude about replying "Merry Christmas" to someone who has already said it.

If you're uncomfortable with that, just say "Thank you! Same here" or something like that...
12-19-2013 05:12 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2013 05:08 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

What's appropriate?

I do not get this question. If they are wishing you a Merry Christmas, they celebrate it.

I agree with dixie. Even if they don't celebrate it, they can't get offended if they said it to you first.
12-19-2013 05:14 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-19-2013 05:08 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

What's appropriate?

Come on man. You are a conservative. Don't fall into the liberal-generated politically correct trap. It's a never ending pit. Rent the movie "Demolition Man" on Netflix. It takes place in a world where the politically correct have gotten their way. It's not a fun world to live in.

Christmas is an American tradition. Most everyone in this country understands that. The majority celebrates it and less people are offended by hearing it than you think.

I have a Muslim friend in SF that says it to people because it's the holiday being celebrated. She is not from this country, and obviously does not celebrate Christ's birth, but she does try to be American and celebrate American traditions.

I say it to people I don't know and could care less if they are offended. If they are, it's their problem. If they don't like it, they shouldn't live in a country where it is a federal holiday.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 05:38 PM by oklalittledixie.)
12-19-2013 05:25 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12

What's appropriate?

Of course you should say "Merry Christmas" in return. Why would you even have to ask that question?
12-19-2013 05:30 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
When offered a "Merry Christmas" I respond with the same.

When offered a "Happy Holidays" or some such I respond with a "Merry Christmas".

If I'm doing the initial offering it's always "Merry Christmas".

If one is offended when they are wished well, then I think it is the offended ones problem.

So Merry Christmas to all and peace to men of good will!
12-19-2013 05:32 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-19-2013 05:32 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  When offered a "Merry Christmas" I respond with the same.

When offered a "Happy Holidays" or some such I respond with a "Merry Christmas".

If I'm doing the initial offering it's always "Merry Christmas".

If one is offended when they are wished well, then I think it is the offended ones problem.

So Merry Christmas to all and peace to men of good will!

Happy Festivus! Kwazy Kwanzaa! May the Force be With You!
R'amen! :)

And Merry Christmas
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 05:37 PM by dbackjon.)
12-19-2013 05:36 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I think it is okay to respond to a person with exactly the same greeting they said to you.
12-19-2013 05:39 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(12-19-2013 04:10 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  But that leaves me puzzled on how to respond to their greeting. Do I say "Merry Christmas" in return?

What's appropriate?

I would expect nothing less than a "And a Merry Christmas to you as well"
12-19-2013 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.