Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Politics meets sports at Military Bowl
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Politics meets sports at Military Bowl
Marshall University invited Senator Joe Manchin to be an honorary team captain but not that other guy Jay Rockyfailure. Could it be Rockyfailure's positions on about every policy go against the WV economy?
12-26-2013 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
RE: Politics meets sports at Military Bowl
It probably has more to do with the fact that Manchin, when he was Governor, strong armed the 7 game series between Marshall and WVU. He was/is very supportive of sports at both universities, and is a friend to Marshall. I don't know that Rockefeller ever did much for Marshall (at least that I can remember.)
12-26-2013 05:15 PM
airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(12-26-2013 05:15 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  It probably has more to do with the fact that Manchin, when he was Governor, strong armed the 7 game series between Marshall and WVU. He was/is very supportive of sports at both universities, and is a friend to Marshall. I don't know that Rockefeller ever did much for Marshall (at least that I can remember.)

Hopefully he, Manchin doesn't last after his current term.
12-27-2013 10:44 AM
Bear Marshall Offline
Water Engineer

(12-27-2013 10:44 AM)airbornepirate Wrote:  
(12-26-2013 05:15 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  It probably has more to do with the fact that Manchin, when he was Governor, strong armed the 7 game series between Marshall and WVU. He was/is very supportive of sports at both universities, and is a friend to Marshall. I don't know that Rockefeller ever did much for Marshall (at least that I can remember.)

Joe isnt going anywhere. He was a very popular governor and is a very popular senator here.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 12:59 PM by Bear Marshall.)
12-27-2013 12:59 PM
Advertisement

airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

(12-27-2013 12:59 PM)Bear Marshall Wrote:  

Joe isnt going anywhere. He was a very popular governor and is a very popular senator here.

We shall see. Luckily for him there was a lot of time between what he proposed earlier this year and when he is up for re-election.
12-27-2013 01:01 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(12-27-2013 01:01 PM)airbornepirate Wrote:  

We shall see. Luckily for him there was a lot of time between what he proposed earlier this year and when he is up for re-election.

It doesn't really matter who is elected to office in WV. That state is always going to struggle.

It basically functions as the Africa of the United States. Billions of dollars of mineral resources have been extracted by relatively few individuals/corporations that have invested little to nothing of real means back into the state to grow it beyond its resource/tourism based economy. That is why the coal bunch is so vocal. They have nothing else to lean on.

I love the state, it is beautiful. My family is from WV and most still live there, so I have spent an extensive amount of time there. Truly an outdoorsmans dream on the east coast, but it has been run by generations of short sighted morons. It will take generations of real difference makers to turn things around.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 01:18 PM by Niner National.)
12-27-2013 01:17 PM
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

Yeah, Manchin is the next Byrd. I like him better than the carpet bagger but not by much.
12-27-2013 02:22 PM
Advertisement

airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

(12-27-2013 01:17 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

It doesn't really matter who is elected to office in WV. That state is always going to struggle.

It basically functions as the Africa of the United States. Billions of dollars of mineral resources have been extracted by relatively few individuals/corporations that have invested little to nothing of real means back into the state to grow it beyond its resource/tourism based economy. That is why the coal bunch is so vocal. They have nothing else to lean on.

I love the state, it is beautiful. My family is from WV and most still live there, so I have spent an extensive amount of time there. Truly an outdoorsmans dream on the east coast, but it has been run by generations of short sighted morons. It will take generations of real difference makers to turn things around.

I think that part can be said about a lot of cities and states...and the NCAA
12-27-2013 02:40 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(12-27-2013 02:40 PM)airbornepirate Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 01:17 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 10:44 AM)airbornepirate Wrote:  Hopefully he, Manchin doesn't last after his current term.

I think that part can be said about a lot of cities and states...and the NCAA
True. The private sector plays a very big role.

Charlotte has always been very fortunate that its powerful business leaders have been advocates for luring other industries to the city and surrounding areas. Some on their own, others through political office, and others through non-profit or consulting roles.

Not every city or state is so lucky to have leaders in the private sector like Hugh McColl, the Harris and Bissel families, the Belks, the Levines, and so many others that were critical to growing Charlotte financially, economically, culturally, and even developmentally. Without them, Charlotte would still likely be an insiginificant small southern city.
12-27-2013 02:52 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Did anyone see the 1980s Marshall shirt he was rocking yesterday? I think I saw some old woman wearing that one day at Wally World.
12-28-2013 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(12-26-2013 04:56 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Marshall University invited Senator Joe Manchin to be an honorary team captain but not that other guy Jay Rockyfailure. Could it be Rockyfailure's positions on about every policy go against the WV economy?

Why would anyone support a person who claims that blacks were happy before the civil rights movement?
12-29-2013 03:43 AM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies
(12-27-2013 12:59 PM)Bear Marshall Wrote:  Joe isnt going anywhere. He was a very popular governor and is a very popular senator here.

False.
12-29-2013 07:54 AM
MU42 Offline
1st String

IMO, Joe is going to make a go at a presidential run. He is on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, etc what seems like everyday. He is one of the few in DC that actually works with the other side and many Americans are sick of the same crap every year when all you here is how bad the other person is. I don't care how bad they are anymore, they are all bad and I have accepted that. I want to hear solutions to problems. Will he win, probably not, but I could see him as a VP candidate with Hilary because we all know that is who is going to get the nomination on the democrat side. One of the reasons Obama won was because it would be historical to not have an old white man as president. Hilary will run on the premise that she will fix everything the way Bill did, and oh by the way, I'm a woman vote for me.
12-29-2013 10:25 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2013 10:25 AM)MU42 Wrote:  IMO, Joe is going to make a go at a presidential run. He is on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, etc what seems like everyday. He is one of the few in DC that actually works with the other side and many Americans are sick of the same crap every year when all you here is how bad the other person is. I don't care how bad they are anymore, they are all bad and I have accepted that. I want to hear solutions to problems. Will he win, probably not, but I could see him as a VP candidate with Hilary because we all know that is who is going to get the nomination on the democrat side. One of the reasons Obama won was because it would be historical to not have an old white man as president. Hilary will run on the premise that she will fix everything the way Bill did, and oh by the way, I'm a woman vote for me.

I give him credit for being a vocal critic of the current administration's bad policies can't be winning him any friends in his party.
12-29-2013 06:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.