Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$EC Network to charge $1.30 per subscriber
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
$EC Network to charge $1.30 per subscriber
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...C-Net.aspx

Within the SEC footprint, ESPN is asking for $1.30 per subscriber for the new SEC network. Outside the footprint, it'll be only 25 cents per subscriber. To compare, IIRC the BTN gets $0.85 per subscriber in the footprint and $0.15 per subscriber outside of it.

Wow. I guess my cable bill will be going up. Was there really any doubt of that though?
01-13-2014 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: $EC Network to charge $1.30 per subscriber
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. The Big Ten Network wasn't available from most companies before football season started (in Columbus, of the big 3 at the time (Insight, Time Warner, WOW!), only Insight had an agreement before the season started).
01-13-2014 12:53 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-13-2014 12:42 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...C-Net.aspx

Within the SEC footprint, ESPN is asking for $1.30 per subscriber for the new SEC network. Outside the footprint, it'll be only 25 cents per subscriber. To compare, IIRC the BTN gets $0.85 per subscriber in the footprint and $0.15 per subscriber outside of it.

Wow. I guess my cable bill will be going up. Was there really any doubt of that though?

Be lucky to get .15 outside the footprint unless they are really putting a lot of good games down into the network. SEC schools aren't as big and alumni as widely distributed as Big 10. It will be interesting to see if the DISH network deal gets leaked. Disney and Dish have apparently agreed on everything except things like Hopper.
01-13-2014 12:55 PM
TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
(01-13-2014 12:42 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...C-Net.aspx

Just another example of why I want a la carte cable service. This is something I may want if there are some Sunbelt teams playing SEC opponents during football season. Otherwise it will be just another channel I have to pay for just so someone else can enjoy it.
01-13-2014 12:55 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor

Something for the board to consider:

That is most likely an expected average rate. So expect Birmingham and Atlanta to pay more and St. Louis and Dallas to pay less just like the BTN price varies by market and the .85 you see is an average figure.
01-13-2014 12:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-13-2014 12:56 PM)S11 Wrote:  

Something for the board to consider:

That is most likely an expected average rate. So expect Birmingham and Atlanta to pay more and St. Louis and Dallas to pay less just like the BTN price varies by market and the .85 you see is an average figure.
This is what they are "asking" not necessarily what they will get.
01-13-2014 12:58 PM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
I wonder what impact this will have in Texas.
When local providers were talking about Longhorn network, non Horn fans complained to cable companies that they would drop their service if they were required to pay for it.

Could we see the Anti-Aggies camp getting up in arms about the SEC channel and keeping it from being part of the standard package?
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 01:04 PM by chrisattsu.)
01-13-2014 01:02 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-13-2014 12:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Be lucky to get .15 outside the footprint unless they are really putting a lot of good games down into the network. SEC schools aren't as big and alumni as widely distributed as Big 10. It will be interesting to see if the DISH network deal gets leaked. Disney and Dish have apparently agreed on everything except things like Hopper.

That will be interesting, because the reason DirecTV got its panties in a wad about Pac-12 Networks is that the Pac-12 made a deal with DISH before DirecTV, and DirecTV apparently thinks they ought to be the market-maker who sets the price for everyone else rather than being asked to pay what everyone else is already paying.
01-13-2014 01:06 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

I have zero desire for access to the SEC Network and hate that it is foisted upon me against my will.
01-13-2014 01:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(01-13-2014 01:02 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  I wonder what impact this will have in Texas.
When local providers were talking about Longhorn network, non Horn fans complained to cable companies that they would drop their service if they were required to pay for it.

Could we see the Anti-Aggies camp getting up in arms about the SEC channel and keeping it from being part of the standard package?
The SEC Network is not just about one school. It's about coverage of all SEC conference football games. The Aggies will not own or run it. Much better product.
01-13-2014 01:16 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(01-13-2014 01:13 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

I have zero desire for access to the SEC Network and hate that it is foisted upon me against my will.

Come on TerryD.... You know Notre Dame is joining the SEC some day. Might as well familiarize yourself with the SEC now... 03-lmfao
01-13-2014 01:22 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(01-13-2014 01:06 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

That will be interesting, because the reason DirecTV got its panties in a wad about Pac-12 Networks is that the Pac-12 made a deal with DISH before DirecTV, and DirecTV apparently thinks they ought to be the market-maker who sets the price for everyone else rather than being asked to pay what everyone else is already paying.

According to this, DISH has a tentative deal already for carriage of the SEC Network, and U-Verse already has one inked.

Quote:The SBJ also noted that Dish Network has agreed to carry the channel starting with its August launch, but noted that the deal has not been completed. Currently, the only announced distribution agreement for the network is with AT&T U-Verse.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/ne...Journal%29
01-13-2014 02:04 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Money money money!

More for us!
01-13-2014 02:14 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(01-13-2014 12:55 PM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  

Just another example of why I want a la carte cable service. This is something I may want if there are some Sunbelt teams playing SEC opponents during football season. Otherwise it will be just another channel I have to pay for just so someone else can enjoy it.

Exactly. Sports are the last hold outs. I cut the cord a year and half ago and do not miss it. I have Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video plus online content. Will likely switch ISPs before next football season so I will have ESPN3. Not to mention I have 59 OTA channels with a poorly located indoor antenna. One I locate in the attic or roof that number will go up. ESPN and other sports providers are failing to see the canary in the coal mine. For music it was Napster 15 years ago. They shut them down but failed to realize that it was what was next. Now we all download music online for a fee. For sports Firstrow is that canary. Eventually cable providers will figure out how to deliver ala carte programming over the internet. Those who dont will go the way of the guy who used to deliver records and movies to brick and mortar stores.
01-13-2014 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
It's called disparity and that is why the Big 12 and ACC will have a hard time keeping pace with the PAC, Big 10 and SEC. It is also why our local spin doctors are already on this one. I don't think Direct TV is going to have an issue with this either. They have too much business in the Southeast to piss them off. Talk all you like, but in the end it is what it is.

That said, if things don't improve with the overall economy then the whole cable network issue will become a moot one. It is a luxury and as middle middle class to low middle class to poor households continue to experience the hidden inflation in food (30% in the last two years), a totally unpredictable medical expense market (due to shifts in health care coverage because of the federal plan and its inconsistencies), and continued job losses in the private sector (hidden by rolling the long term unemployed off of the lists) then more folks will be dropping cable all together. Besides, other than live sporting events and a little bit of news there is not a danged thing on the tube that people didn't see twenty to fifty years ago, or want to watch. In my opinion that is the biggest threat to cable sports networks. Right now you have to buy an upper tier to get them. If that doesn't change then all of them will be in danger within a couple of years time.
01-13-2014 02:50 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(01-13-2014 02:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  It's called disparity and that is why the Big 12 and ACC will have a hard time keeping pace with the PAC, Big 10 and SEC. It is also why our local spin doctors are already on this one. I don't think Direct TV is going to have an issue with this either. They have too much business in the Southeast to piss them off. Talk all you like, but in the end it is what it is.

That said, if things don't improve with the overall economy then the whole cable network issue will become a moot one. It is a luxury and as middle middle class to low middle class to poor households continue to experience the hidden inflation in food (30% in the last two years), a totally unpredictable medical expense market (due to shifts in health care coverage because of the federal plan and its inconsistencies), and continued job losses in the private sector (hidden by rolling the long term unemployed off of the lists) then more folks will be dropping cable all together. Besides, other than live sporting events and a little bit of news there is not a danged thing on the tube that people didn't see twenty to fifty years ago, or want to watch. In my opinion that is the biggest threat to cable sports networks. Right now you have to buy an upper tier to get them. If that doesn't change then all of them will be in danger within a couple of years time.

Dish and Direct do big business in the SEC footprint between people who don't have a wired option to those in smaller communities where IPTV providers like ATT and Verizon aren't an option and with less high density housing more people go with them for competitive reasons. Yeah the SEC Net will do fine with the sat providers.
01-13-2014 04:06 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Interesting for the cord cutting folks is that ESPN and Fox are requiring MLS and US Men's Soccer to include the "watch anywhere" rights in their new negotiations.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...a/MLS.aspx
01-13-2014 04:08 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-13-2014 02:04 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 01:06 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

According to this, DISH has a tentative deal already for carriage of the SEC Network, and U-Verse already has one inked.

Quote:The SBJ also noted that Dish Network has agreed to carry the channel starting with its August launch, but noted that the deal has not been completed. Currently, the only announced distribution agreement for the network is with AT&T U-Verse.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/ne...Journal%29

U-Verse makes sense. Here, they have pushed the fact that they have PTN (and, it goes without saying, DirecTV doesn't), so they'll do the same in the southeast where, IIRC, U-Verse isn't that strong yet.

As for your cable bill going up... maybe, depending on how much your carrier has to pay for SECN. Cable co's and DirecTV (don't know about Dish and U-Verse) imposed a surcharge on their LA-area customers to cover the costs of the new Lakers and Dodgers channels. But, the combined cost of those channels is reportedly between $5 and 7/month/subscriber.
01-13-2014 04:25 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
To quote Mr Chappelle...

"We're rich, b****!!"

04-cheers
01-13-2014 04:41 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-13-2014 01:02 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  I wonder what impact this will have in Texas.

I expect ESPN to try to sell the LHN and SECN as a pair in TX.
01-13-2014 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.