USA Today: L'ville ready to go full speed at Big East title
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
USA Today: L'ville ready to go full speed at Big East title
Louisville ready to go full speed at Big East title

Posted 8/8/2006 1:23 AM ET

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY

Michael Bush has been getting fan mail. Video-game players across the nation have been telling the Louisville running back they're growing accustomed to seeing his video alter-ego rushing across TV screens and into the end zone.

"I'm turning into a household name," the Cardinals senior says. "That's nice."

Video games might not always be true to life, but the part about Bush running into the end zone is on target. Despite being sidelined for two games in 2005, Bush set a school record for rushing touchdowns with 23 and led the nation in scoring, averaging 14.4 points a game. His 1,143 rushing yards led the Big East.

Any coach would love to have the 6-2, 247-pound back with surprising speed for his size.

The great part for Cardinals coach Bobby Petrino is Bush might not even be the top offensive weapon on the team. That distinction, in some minds, belongs to quarterback Brian Brohm, who was named the Big East offensive player of the year after completing almost 69% of his passes for 2,883 yards and 19 touchdowns with only five interceptions.

Brohm, who suffered a torn knee ligament in the 10th game and had reconstructive surgery in December, says he's ready to go full speed as the Cardinals seek their first Big East title in their second season in the league and first Bowl Championship Series berth.

Bush and Brohm are being marketed by the school's sports information office as the "Derby City Duo." Two guys from Louisville, playing for their hometown school, both being touted for the Heisman Trophy.

"He can have it if he wants," Bush says while pointing a thumb in Brohm's direction. "It really wouldn't matter to me if neither one of us won it. I'd trade in the Heisman Trophy for a BCS game."

The motto around the Louisville football offices this offseason has been "Finish."

It's emblazoned on shirts and in the players' minds after Virginia Tech scored 22 points in the fourth quarter to win last season's Gator Bowl (a game Brohm missed), and most especially because West Virginia rallied from a 24-7 fourth-quarter deficit to beat the Cardinals 46-44 in triple overtime, an outcome that helped keep the Cardinals out of the BCS.

"We put it on ourselves," Brohm says. "It was a game we had won in the fourth quarter. We don't want to give up a fourth-quarter lead ever again."

That figures to be easier with an offense that topped 40 points eight times last year and continues to be one of the nation's most prolific.

"The thing that's so good," Petrino says, "is Michael has the ability to not only control the clock at times but can make the big plays. And also the way we can throw with Brian gives us the balance you've got to have."

Brohm had an arduous offseason rehabilitation program for his knee, but he and Petrino say he's healthy and expected to pick up where he left off.

"The first two months were the toughest," Brohm says. "There was a lot of tedious stuff that was very painful, but after that the pain started going away and we started strengthening the knee, and that's when I got ahead. I'm not worried about it. Once that first hit comes, it will be more assuring that it's healed.

"Watching those games last year and not being able to play was tough," Brohm continues. "But it gave me motivation for this year. It motivated me to go hit the rehab real hard and try to get back to 100% for this year. We have the opportunity to be a better team."

That will be especially true if Bush can reach his personal goals.

"I'd say that's 30 touchdowns and 1,500 yards," the running back says without blinking an eye. "Without missing two games, I might have done that last year.

"We've all got high expectations for everything else. Might as well have it for that, too."

Bush says the Cardinals are comfortable with predictions that have them looking up at West Virginia in the Big East preseason picks after Louisville was considered the team to beat last season.

"Last year we had an 'X' on our backs. Everybody was ready to get us," Bush says. "This year maybe the tables turn."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/f...ille_x.htm
08-09-2006 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

DIP WV Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia

You'll have to find another tit, Cardinals. This is West Virginia's tit.
08-09-2006 01:07 AM
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

DIP WV Wrote:You'll have to find another tit, Cardinals. This is West Virginia's tit.

lol, I didn't realize the title cut off til you posted that...lol
08-09-2006 02:02 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.