Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

okay, some of the basketball prognosticators..
Bookmark and Share
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
okay, some of the basketball prognosticators..
... are NUTS.

listening to CBS Sports basketball show on TV, and they said the BigXII could have 7 teams in the tourney.

They're saying that "West Virginia and Baylor" could compete for that 7th slot. So I just looked at the numbers..

West Virginia: 6-5 in conference. 2-7 vs. Top 50 (2 and 7!) RPI - 73 and only 4 games over .500 overall?!?

Baylor 2-8 in conference 8 LOSSES in conference, 12-9 ([b]3 games over .500) overall, 61 RPI and 3-7 vs. TOp 50.

And they're prognosticator worthy? Heck, I was willing to say 5 (Kansas , Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa state, Kansas State (and an outside shot for Okie State being 3-5 vs. top 50), but 7!?!?
02-09-2014 09:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
RE: okay, some of the basketball prognosticators..
(02-09-2014 09:39 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  ... are NUTS.

listening to CBS Sports basketball show on TV, and they said the BigXII could have 7 teams in the tourney.

They're saying that "West Virginia and Baylor" could compete for that 7th slot. So I just looked at the numbers..

West Virginia: 6-5 in conference. 2-7 vs. Top 50 (2 and 7!) RPI - 73 and only 4 games over .500 overall?!?

Baylor 2-8 in conference 8 LOSSES in conference, 12-9 ([b]3 games over .500) overall, 61 RPI and 3-7 vs. TOp 50.

And they're prognosticator worthy? Heck, I was willing to say 5 (Kansas , Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa state, Kansas State (and an outside shot for Okie State being 3-5 vs. top 50), but 7!?!?

So much money in the tourney. It is the next target for the big five. They'll cut as many of us out as possible and when they get the media on their side it will be easy.
02-09-2014 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tampa Bay Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
What is USM's resume look like at this point? To me, it looks as if the NCAA committee cares more about "good" wins than not having "bad" losses. If USM doesn't get in this will be why.
02-09-2014 10:41 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
If the Golden Eagles win the 1 seed, they will be in as an at-large...even if it's in the First Four. Honestly, I think that's the only way CUSA becomes a 2-bid league at this point.
02-09-2014 11:02 AM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
A major sports network not knowing WTF they're talking about, so they just hype up teams in the major conferences!?

I've never seen this before!!!
02-09-2014 11:05 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-09-2014 11:05 AM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  A major sports network not knowing WTF they're talking about, so they just hype up teams in the major conferences!?

I've never seen this before!!!

....turns the stomach inside out, doesn't it?

gotta love having control of the greed factor

It's time to for John Q. to take the media out of anything decisive when it comes to determining fate.....unfortunately, they are incompetent too in this arena

.....the bias is out of control
02-09-2014 11:48 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(02-09-2014 11:02 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  If the Golden Eagles win the 1 seed, they will be in as an at-large...even if it's in the First Four. Honestly, I think that's the only way CUSA becomes a 2-bid league at this point.

Looking at it selfishly, would rather not go in a play-in situation (would be better to take the top NIT seed) but agree with the overall point.....
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 11:54 AM by stinkfist.)
02-09-2014 11:53 AM
DaSaintFan Offline

(02-09-2014 10:41 AM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  What is USM's resume look like at this point? To me, it looks as if the NCAA committee cares more about "good" wins than not having "bad" losses. If USM doesn't get in this will be why.

Tampa, it's not a resume comparison.. But come on, if you can't even make .500 in your own conference (Baylor), why the hell should your name come up for tournament candidacy?
02-09-2014 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

CUSA is the number 13 rated conference.

The B12 is the number 1 rated conference.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

WVU is probably not going to get into the tournament, because they had an OOC loss to VT and Purdue which are not good. However, Baylor actually has a pretty good argument for being in the NCAA, because almost all of their losses are in conference. Their only other loss was to Syracuse. So all of Baylor's losses have either been in the number 1 conference and to the number 1 team by a few points. No CUSA team can even get by the smell test that Baylor passes easily.
02-09-2014 12:27 PM
stinkfist Online

(02-09-2014 12:27 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

CUSA is the number 13 rated conference.

The B12 is the number 1 rated conference.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

WVU is probably not going to get into the tournament, because they had an OOC loss to VT and Purdue which are not good. However, Baylor actually has a pretty good argument for being in the NCAA, because almost all of their losses are in conference. Their only other loss was to Syracuse. So all of Baylor's losses have either been in the number 1 conference and to the number 1 team by a few points. No CUSA team can even get by the smell test that Baylor passes easily.

unfortunately, that same metric you are referencing does not acknowledge individual teams performance....last year, USM was left out with low 30 pre-tournament RPI

the media IS bias...
02-09-2014 12:51 PM
GoblueOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Miners!!

Nobody to blame but CUSA out of conference scheduling . Have you seen how pathetic our fellow conference members schedule have looked the past few years? If you remember Memphis would always schedule a tough non conference because they knew that playing in CUSA would dilute their SOS. If we do not play against better teams when we are able to then how do we expect to elevate this conference into something respectable.

I have watched plenty of basketball this year, more so than most seasons. Wife has been cool about DVR, yes no more housewives! The big12 is weak, Kansas is the exception although they are vulnerable to have a stinker. UTEP almost got them this year, when we were still playing bland with no leaders. AAC is a decent, Cinci and Louisville look pretty good, Memphis, SMU and UConn are decent at best. Look at their wins, nothing spectacular except they get the luxury of playing each other and improving their RPI. UConn has no business in the top 25. The Gonzaga win helped Memphis greatly because otherwise they did not either. The bottom line is if they do have 5 make it into the dance that would be excellent since only 2 of them have a chance of advancing. I pray we make it and get a shot at any of those teams. I am pretty sure USM can play competitively against Louisville today and thats all that matters right now. Peak in March and let the chips fall where they may. LA tech will also give those team a good run for their money. I will be putting my money where my mouth is as well. No more ugly losses UTEP (NO), Tech (ULL), USM (WKU i guess, crummy non conference though) and we might be breaking the top25. Okay, now Im just ranting on, we make the tournament we can beat most imposters, and I will leave it at that.04-rock
02-09-2014 02:24 PM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
^^^Agreed.

The first thing we need to do as a conference is ban non-D1 games. It was embarrassing that we played two of them this year, and didn't do our team or the league any favors.
02-09-2014 02:43 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Seriously, I don't see any positive in playing non-D1 teams as if you lose to them you'll look bad and if you beat them it'll be no big deal. It's just like a young man fighting an old man, you can't win either way.
02-09-2014 03:05 PM
DaSaintFan Offline

It has nothing to do with who we're playing at the moment. I wouldn't care if you're playing a conference with 6 or 7 of the best teams in the country, if you can't go .500 in conference, you DON'T deserve to be talked about as an at-large team.
02-09-2014 03:26 PM
GoblueOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-09-2014 03:26 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  It has nothing to do with who we're playing at the moment. I wouldn't care if you're playing a conference with 6 or 7 of the best teams in the country, if you can't go .500 in conference, you DON'T deserve to be talked about as an at-large team.

Agree completely , they do not deserve to go, now that we have established that, it has no bearing on if they will receive an at large bid. I do care, steel hardens steel, but I have accepted the fact that even with the BCS dead the P5 will always get the freebies. The sad truth is they can lose all day to Kansas, longhorns,and sooners, them losing is still valued higher by these so called bracktology experts than you beating ECU. No offense ECU, thats the reality of where this conference is perceived, lucky for the pirates they get to move on to a conference that ,like it or not, is viewed as better. I can ***** about SOS all day, still does not change the fact that is one of the tools they use to hand out invites, nothing to do with merit. Not trying to open up a can of worms but the only way we can sniff an at large bid is to schedule better as a conference and not lose to teams we are not supposed to lose to.
02-09-2014 05:00 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(02-09-2014 02:24 PM)GoblueOrange Wrote:  

Nobody to blame but CUSA out of conference scheduling . Have you seen how pathetic our fellow conference members schedule have looked the past few years? If you remember Memphis would always schedule a tough non conference because they knew that playing in CUSA would dilute their SOS. If we do not play against better teams when we are able to then how do we expect to elevate this conference into something respectable.

I have watched plenty of basketball this year, more so than most seasons. Wife has been cool about DVR, yes no more housewives! The big12 is weak, Kansas is the exception although they are vulnerable to have a stinker. UTEP almost got them this year, when we were still playing bland with no leaders. AAC is a decent, Cinci and Louisville look pretty good, Memphis, SMU and UConn are decent at best. Look at their wins, nothing spectacular except they get the luxury of playing each other and improving their RPI. UConn has no business in the top 25. The Gonzaga win helped Memphis greatly because otherwise they did not either. The bottom line is if they do have 5 make it into the dance that would be excellent since only 2 of them have a chance of advancing. I pray we make it and get a shot at any of those teams. I am pretty sure USM can play competitively against Louisville today and thats all that matters right now. Peak in March and let the chips fall where they may. LA tech will also give those team a good run for their money. I will be putting my money where my mouth is as well. No more ugly losses UTEP (NO), Tech (ULL), USM (WKU i guess, crummy non conference though) and we might be breaking the top25. Okay, now Im just ranting on, we make the tournament we can beat most imposters, and I will leave it at that.04-rock

03-lmfao

Memphis currently features a top 30 RPI with wins over: #5 OSU, @#12 Louisville, #23 Gonzaga, LSU

Memphis still has games remaining: @Cincy, @UConn, Louisville, SMU

If that's just "decent" then UTEP must be terrible.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 05:59 PM by UofMemphis.)
02-09-2014 05:14 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Another one of those Just because you have played good teams but lost arguments. All you can do is shake your head.
02-09-2014 05:18 PM
Tampa Bay Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
UTEP fan is drunk on CUSA kool aid.
02-09-2014 05:45 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-09-2014 03:26 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  It has nothing to do with who we're playing at the moment. I wouldn't care if you're playing a conference with 6 or 7 of the best teams in the country, if you can't go .500 in conference, you DON'T deserve to be talked about as an at-large team.

That's just dumb. Conference is just about one half of a season. There is really no reason it should be so significant that that potentially one games difference completely determines the other half.

What if a team went 14-0 OOC similar to what UCF did a few years ago when they started hot beat UConn and got in the top 25 and went 6-10 in CUSA except this time the hypothetical team went 7-9 in the the #1 conference and won a game or two in conference tourny. You are potentially talking about a 22-10 team that would probably be top 30 RPI and just because they didn't win one more conference game than OOC game they shouldn't be allowed?

It's a narrow minded view of things. You build a resume (an entire one) let it do your talking and in that example they would be plenty worthy.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 06:05 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-09-2014 06:01 PM
GoblueOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-09-2014 05:45 PM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  UTEP fan is drunk on CUSA kool aid.

Perhaps you have trouble reading? I said our conference is weak and does not deserve any at large bids due to poor scheduling and more importantly poor performance.

I find it amusing you still come over to this lowly CUSA board begging for attention. You play a stronger schedule because you have a stronger conference not very difficult to figure out Einsteins.

Hope to see you in the dance and will gladly show you how decent you are. Just because you lose to a higher ranked team or play them close does not all of the sudden make you a good team, the weakness of RPI and SOS. Its all good not trying to piss on Memphis , actually like your team and have nothing but respect but without conference rpi bump you are not a top25 team period.
02-09-2014 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.