Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ideal Conference Draft - 2014
Bookmark and Share
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Ideal Conference Draft - 2014
JR reminded me of that Ideal Conference Draft that some of us did many months ago, and now may be a good time to kick the tires and get it running again since other news and topics are slow. The game is simple:

1. 4 commissioners pick 16 schools each (64 school league). It will be a snake draft, and trades may occur after the first 8 rounds and then after the 16th round. We will all then pick 2 more teams each just to see what a 72 school league would look like.

2. We will judge each conference at the end based on geographical, cultural, competitive, academic, and revenue generating fit. This is not just a football draft; it is all encompassing. Personally, I think it would be better just to let those who did not do the drafting give their judgments and feedback.

We have enough guys here that we could do a few drafts if enough people want to jump in, and you could arrange it any way you like (4x16, 3x20, 5x16, etc.), especially if we end up with an odd number of people wanting to play.

I'm in as a commissioner for a 4x16 draft. Jump on in!
02-19-2014 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: Ideal Conference Draft - 2014
(02-19-2014 05:47 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  JR reminded me of that Ideal Conference Draft that some of us did many months ago, and now may be a good time to kick the tires and get it running again since other news and topics are slow. The game is simple:

1. 4 commissioners pick 16 schools each (64 school league). It will be a snake draft, and trades may occur after the first 8 rounds and then after the 16th round. We will all then pick 2 more teams each just to see what a 72 school league would look like.

2. We will judge each conference at the end based on geographical, cultural, competitive, academic, and revenue generating fit. This is not just a football draft; it is all encompassing. Personally, I think it would be better just to let those who did not do the drafting give their judgments and feedback.

We have enough guys here that we could do a few drafts if enough people want to jump in, and you could arrange it any way you like (4x16, 3x20, 5x16, etc.), especially if we end up with an odd number of people wanting to play.

Not sure if we ever decided the winner last year, but I am in too. Lets do it.04-cheers
02-20-2014 12:52 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(02-20-2014 12:52 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(02-19-2014 05:47 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  JR reminded me of that Ideal Conference Draft that some of us did many months ago, and now may be a good time to kick the tires and get it running again since other news and topics are slow. The game is simple:

Not sure if we ever decided the winner last year, but I am in too. Lets do it.04-cheers

Me, neither, and that is largely my fault for not reporting some items from my teams. In any case, the drafting process is the fun part to me!
02-20-2014 10:55 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Yeah, it got too complicated for me past the draft. The draft was fun but then it got tedious. I would do it again if we were just doing the draft but I will hold off and see if you have any new takers that would like to be apart of it this time around.
02-20-2014 08:44 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(02-20-2014 08:44 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Yeah, it got too complicated for me past the draft. The draft was fun but then it got tedious. I would do it again if we were just doing the draft but I will hold off and see if you have any new takers that would like to be apart of it this time around.

Good to hear from you, H1. The drafting part is definitely fun, and we can just talk about it afterward. It is an interesting process to think through! I basically ended up with the Big 10 conference last time, and I loved my setup.
02-20-2014 09:51 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

Lets do it. I am bored. Lol

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
02-22-2014 12:45 AM
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
So is it bbb, H1, Medic and JR? If you do a 5X16, I would do it.
02-24-2014 11:23 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-24-2014 11:23 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  So is it bbb, H1, Medic and JR? If you do a 5X16, I would do it.

Nope, if we have enough other interested people I'll sit this one out. (I think I won last year anyway.) It's fun though so have a go.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 03:24 PM by JRsec.)
02-24-2014 03:23 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

zombie and JR, let's give it a few more days and see if a few more want to join in. If so, we can run two of them on separate threads of 4x16 each.
02-24-2014 04:39 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(02-24-2014 03:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-24-2014 11:23 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  So is it bbb, H1, Medic and JR? If you do a 5X16, I would do it.

Nope, if we have enough other interested people I'll sit this one out. (I think I won last year anyway.) It's fun though so have a go.

Yeah, in the interest of being inclusive I too said I would sit this one out if enough folks were interested that it could go on without me. Also, I thought one of the best parts of the last round was the end when there were slim pickings. 4x16 pretty much means the last couple of rounds are still pretty easy. 6x16 will make folks really dig and think through those last couple of picks.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 07:30 PM by He1nousOne.)
02-24-2014 07:28 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas
I'll do it if my living in Asia would not cause any problems with the time zone difference. Usually I can be online in the evening US time (early afternoon in Asia).
02-25-2014 02:01 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(02-25-2014 02:01 AM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  I'll do it if my living in Asia would not cause any problems with the time zone difference. Usually I can be online in the evening US time (early afternoon in Asia).

Sure, no problem! It is a slow trickle process. We usually get one or two rounds done a day unless everyone just happens to be available.
02-25-2014 11:12 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(02-24-2014 07:28 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(02-24-2014 03:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Yeah, in the interest of being inclusive I too said I would sit this one out if enough folks were interested that it could go on without me. Also, I thought one of the best parts of the last round was the end when there were slim pickings. 4x16 pretty much means the last couple of rounds are still pretty easy. 6x16 will make folks really dig and think through those last couple of picks.

That was pretty fun, wasn't it? Let's see what our numbers look like at the end, and we can do a few variations. I just emailed a few guys. How about we plan to get started on Thursday. If you all know anyone that would enjoy this, send them this way.
02-25-2014 11:13 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(02-25-2014 02:01 AM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  I'll do it if my living in Asia would not cause any problems with the time zone difference. Usually I can be online in the evening US time (early afternoon in Asia).

I remember the years I spent at Clark AB, Rep of Phiippines. They are twelve hours ahead of central time. We watched the noon games at midnight. At least the kids were all asleep. lol
02-25-2014 02:07 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
I'm up for it if you have more than four "conferences" -- might be interesting to mix it up this time and have six or seven conferences each drafting 10 schools.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2014 05:09 PM by Wedge.)
02-25-2014 05:08 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(02-25-2014 05:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  I'm up for it if you have more than four "conferences" -- might be interesting to mix it up this time and have six or seven conferences each drafting 10 schools.

Sure, we can do some variations. We're giving until Thursday for folks to jump on, and we'll see our numbers then. A number of 10 team conferences would be an interesting blast to the past.
02-25-2014 05:20 PM
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
This is a good group and this can be fun, so I'll play when there's an opening.
02-26-2014 11:24 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
I'm down for any of it.
02-27-2014 12:38 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

Alright, it's Thursday, so let's begin! We have 9 participants, so we can do a couple of variations. Wedge brought up doing a draft of 10 team conferences, and H1 suggested a 6x16 team conferences to stretch our thinking a bit. Let's all do the 10 team draft so everyone is involved. For the 16 team draft, let's do a 6x16 and a 4x16 and let one of you who has ample time participate in both. I would still like to do the the 4x16, and obviously H1 would like the 6x16, so everybody else reply with your preference. Whoever speaks up first gets the spot until they fill up.

I just drew names to determine the order of the 9x10 draft, and it is as follows. Again, this is a snake draft, and we will give a day or two to trade after the 5th round and then after the last (10th) round. We can banter about each conference at the end based on geographical, cultural, competitive, academic, and revenue generating fit. This is not just a football draft; it is all encompassing. Let's have some fun! Without further ado... USAMEDIC, you are on the clock for pick #1! The rest of the draft order is below:

USAMEDIC
ncbeta
bigblueblindness
BewareThePhog
Wedge
Zombiewoof
He1nousOne
JRsec
jhawkmvp (you are the first pick of the 2nd round, as well, so just post both at the same time. This actually worked out well for you since you are in such a time zone difference.)
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 10:46 AM by bigblueblindness.)
02-27-2014 10:45 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

All, I had misread JR's post... he is sitting this one out. So, we have 8 total. Let's keep the 8x10 so everyone is participating together, but we can change the 16 team. I would still like to do a 4x16, and we could easily do two different drafts to get all 8 people involved. However, if some of you would still like to do a 5x16 or 6x16 instead, I'm sure a few of us, including me, would be glad to do both. Just let us know.
02-27-2014 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.