Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most likely expansion outcomes
C Marlow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: PITT
Most likely expansion outcomes
I think the most probable outcomes for expansion will be very similar to what we see today. I think the P5 will stay intact as we see it today. I don't foresee the demise of the BigXII nor the ACC. It looks like all the schools in the P5 like their current connections. I doubt that four by 16 or five by 14 is the endgame based on current ties between the schools. The PAC is stuck at 12 unless the BigXII folds. It appears the Big XII schools like associating with each other, so I don't expect to see it fold. The ACC schools signed a GOR after numerous feelers sent to various schools from the B1G and BigXII, so those schools also want to stay connected. Plus, the ACC stays at 14 until ND commits, and I don't see that happening any time soon. The only P5 who may want to expand would be the BigXII. Only slam dunk candidate, if there is one, would be BYU. And that is a stretch at this point.

IMHO, I think P5 conf expansion is done. BigXII is the only one that might do it, but no current school seems to want that as of today.
03-02-2014 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Most likely expansion outcomes
I think the Big <12 will probably expand at some point, but they clearly are in no rush to do so.

I think PAC-12, SEC, B1G, or ACC only expands if a bona fide "game change" possibility steps forward (i.e., Texas, Notre Dame, Florida State, etc.).
03-02-2014 12:30 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
i think the b12 will lose several members at some point. could happen tomorrow, could happen when the gor expires, could happen in 25 years.......

but that is the ultimate future of the b12 in some point in time.
03-02-2014 12:40 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think the big 10 and sec would like to add some acc and/or big 12 school's while the pac 12 would like big 12 school's. If the acc doesn't lose anybody than the target will be the big 12. I'm not sure if anybody can pry open the acc but i'd go with the big 10 able to crack the big 12 with offers to KU and OU. Also, have a hard time seeing texas happy in the big 12 longterm. The move that could save everybody would be a football only merger of the big 12/acc with 4 pods of 6 expandable to 4 pods of 7 with invites to cincy, uconn, byu and ND (playing 6 games).
03-02-2014 01:26 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(03-02-2014 12:30 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I think the Big <12 will probably expand at some point, but they clearly are in no rush to do so.

I think PAC-12, SEC, B1G, or ACC only expands if a bona fide "game change" possibility steps forward (i.e., Texas, Notre Dame, Florida State, etc.).

I think the Big12 is still feeling buyers remorse from adding TCU and West Virginia. TCU can't consistently compete in the Big 12, and WVU is too far away from the rest of the league. They need to get back to 12 teams, but there just aren't any P5 programs in their region that would accept an invitation (Texas & Oklahoma have way too much power in the BIG12), and I don't think they don't feel any of the G5 programs would advance their conference.

If Memphis could figure out how the game of football is played, they and Louisville would be the best options. Just my opinion.
03-02-2014 01:40 PM
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
Ask me after the Maryland v. ACC lawsuit.
03-02-2014 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(03-02-2014 01:40 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  If Memphis could figure out how the game of football is played, they and Louisville would be the best options. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree. In a world where Memphis had been solid at football for the past 5 years, a metro-trifecta of Cincy/Louisville/Memphis would have fit nicely into the B12, leaving the ACC to choose between WVU and UConn.

As things stand right now, I don't see any major movement for the next 7-10 years.
03-02-2014 02:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I agree with you guys. If Memphis were ever able to field a consistently competitive team in football, they'd be a perfect candidate. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
03-02-2014 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2014 02:00 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 01:40 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  If Memphis could figure out how the game of football is played, they and Louisville would be the best options. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree. In a world where Memphis had been solid at football for the past 5 years, a metro-trifecta of Cincy/Louisville/Memphis would have fit nicely into the B12, leaving the ACC to choose between WVU and UConn.

As things stand right now, I don't see any major movement for the next 7-10 years.

I too agree. 7-10 years sounds about right. Time is needed for programs to jockey for positions before another major round of P5 invitations get extended.
03-02-2014 02:06 PM
john01992 Offline

as for the b12.......

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

if i was the b12 commish that's who i would add
03-02-2014 02:07 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-02-2014 02:07 PM)john01992 Wrote:  as for the b12.......

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

Thank goodness you aren't the B12 commish. 04-rock
03-02-2014 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(03-02-2014 02:08 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

Thank goodness you aren't the B12 commish. 04-rock

LOL. i have my reasons and have explained them before. 04-chairshot
03-02-2014 02:11 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(03-02-2014 01:40 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 12:30 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I think the Big <12 will probably expand at some point, but they clearly are in no rush to do so.

I think the Big12 is still feeling buyers remorse from adding TCU and West Virginia. TCU can't consistently compete in the Big 12, and WVU is too far away from the rest of the league. They need to get back to 12 teams, but there just aren't any P5 programs in their region that would accept an invitation (Texas & Oklahoma have way too much power in the BIG12), and I don't think they don't feel any of the G5 programs would advance their conference.

If Memphis could figure out how the game of football is played, they and Louisville would be the best options. Just my opinion.

I really don't see them having buyers remorse. WVU and TCU both just happened to have horrific timing with going into rough patches. WVU does potentially have additional issues competing so far outside their own natural footprint. If the Big 12 builds a bridge out to them say UCF, USF, Cincy and Memphis for instance then WVU will start to rebound being better able to recruit Florida, Ohio and Tennessee. Its not going to help them with their NJ and Eastern PA recruiting where they've always picked off some good ones though.
03-02-2014 02:12 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

I don't think any of those options would ever get a serious look. When the BIG12 finally expands, the biggest factor in choosing programs will be if adding them benefits Texas and OU. TCU gave Texas and OU and easy road game between the two schools, in a talent rich region.

I still think WVU was a bad addition. I doubt the BIG12 will make that mistake again, so the Florida schools don't seem to be real options. New Mexico offers nothing to Texas or Oklahoma. They don't have a market. They aren't in a recruiting hotbed. They don't get the fans of Texas or OU excited. I like Rice, but I can't see Texas adding them to the BIG12, when they can schedule them for a OOC game any time they want. Plus, Texas, along with A&M, already controls more of the Houston market then Rice, just like those two control more of every major market in Texas. I can't see Texas or Oklahoma letting another Texas team into the BIG12. It just wouldn't benefit them.
03-02-2014 02:23 PM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-02-2014 02:12 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

I really don't see them having buyers remorse. WVU and TCU both just happened to have horrific timing with going into rough patches. WVU does potentially have additional issues competing so far outside their own natural footprint. If the Big 12 builds a bridge out to them say UCF, USF, Cincy and Memphis for instance then WVU will start to rebound being better able to recruit Florida, Ohio and Tennessee. Its not going to help them with their NJ and Eastern PA recruiting where they've always picked off some good ones though.

WVU football recruiting is the best it has ever been.....which is especially remarkable given the season we just had.
03-02-2014 02:28 PM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
jmo.. the B1G and SEC have time on their side. When the money situation starts to separate them from the other conference(s)... movement will be made.

At this point its all about increasing revenue by adding to your footprint with a network. Otherwise, you are at the total mercy of your Tier 1 provider to try and keep up with the Jones, and the Tier 1 provider only wants schools that provide viewers for advertising revenue (which also will increase for the SEC and B1G as they add flagship schools to their inventory).
03-02-2014 02:34 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-02-2014 02:23 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

I don't think any of those options would ever get a serious look. When the BIG12 finally expands, the biggest factor in choosing programs will be if adding them benefits Texas and OU. TCU gave Texas and OU and easy road game between the two schools, in a talent rich region.

I still think WVU was a bad addition. I doubt the BIG12 will make that mistake again, so the Florida schools don't seem to be real options. New Mexico offers nothing to Texas or Oklahoma. They don't have a market. They aren't in a recruiting hotbed. They don't get the fans of Texas or OU excited. I like Rice, but I can't see Texas adding them to the BIG12, when they can schedule them for a OOC game any time they want. Plus, Texas, along with A&M, already controls more of the Houston market then Rice, just like those two control more of every major market in Texas. I can't see Texas or Oklahoma letting another Texas team into the BIG12. It just wouldn't benefit them.

Yup. Tulane would be more likely than Rice. Tulane has the academic profile of Rice, but a bigger student body and offer the Big12 a new market and new quality recruiting grounds. Personally, I think the Big12 would move toward WV. Cincy and ECU would go a long way towards linking the conference with the island of W Virginia. That gets the B12 to 12. No need for more.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 02:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-02-2014 02:37 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2014 02:12 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

TCU benefited from playing in the MWC. They didn't play a BIG12 quality schedule when they won the Rose Bowl. I don't think they have hit a rough patch. I don't think Patterson has lost his ability to coach. I don't think they have the same talent as the better teams in the BIG12, and I don't see that changing. I also don't think they can stand up to the grind of a BIG12 schedule. And, in the long run, I don't think they will be able to consistently recruit well enough to compete in the BIG12. I believe TCU's current situation is going to be the new normal for them. I believe these issues made them a very safe pick for Texas and Oklahoma.

As for WVU, I can't see the BIG12 expanding to 14 or 16 teams, just to throw a lifeline out to them. They appear to be stuck in a bad situation. As time passes, and their supporters become even more restless, they will probably seek another situation. I just don't see them spending an extended period of time in the BIG12.
03-02-2014 02:38 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2014 02:37 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 02:23 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

ucf
usf
new mexico
rice

Yup. Tulane would be more likely than Rice.

I disagree. Tulane is Oklahoma's Rice. Adding them would mean nothing to Texas, and Oklahoma can schedule them in OOC games any time they want.
03-02-2014 02:41 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-02-2014 12:14 PM)C Marlow Wrote:  I think the most probable outcomes for expansion will be very similar to what we see today. I think the P5 will stay intact as we see it today. I don't foresee the demise of the BigXII nor the ACC. It looks like all the schools in the P5 like their current connections. I doubt that four by 16 or five by 14 is the endgame based on current ties between the schools. The PAC is stuck at 12 unless the BigXII folds. It appears the Big XII schools like associating with each other, so I don't expect to see it fold. The ACC schools signed a GOR after numerous feelers sent to various schools from the B1G and BigXII, so those schools also want to stay connected. Plus, the ACC stays at 14 until ND commits, and I don't see that happening any time soon. The only P5 who may want to expand would be the BigXII. Only slam dunk candidate, if there is one, would be BYU. And that is a stretch at this point.

IMHO, I think P5 conf expansion is done. BigXII is the only one that might do it, but no current school seems to want that as of today.

I agree. I think we are set for a couple of decades. By 2035 when the last of the agreements expire (and probably the 2nd Pac 12 and Big 12 contract), the media market will be much changed and things will happen then. But I won't venture a guess. It all depends on how things change.

Texas, FSU, North Carolina and Notre Dame all looked carefully and made the choices they made over the last few years. I don't see any reason to believe any will make a different decision 10 years from now unless something changes (media market-which I think will take longer than a decade for a major difference, O'Bannon case, concussions causing some schools to re-think football). So I don't expect changes in the P5 anytime soon. Now I expect the G5 to continue to jockey around and change over the next decade.
03-02-2014 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.