Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Welcome (back) to Memphis!
Bookmark and Share
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Folks, glad we are in the same conference again, and welcome to Memphis for the tourney. Lot of you have already been here, but for those who haven't, here's a few ideas for while you're visiting:

FOOD

Rendevous: yeah it's famous and right downtown near FedEx Forum. But it has a rep for a reason. Ribs are freakin fantastic, but also check out the sausage and cheese plate.

Flight: real unique place, where food is served in smaller portions, and in three's. So, you'd get three smaller entrees, three smaller veggies, deserts, etc. named by magazine as one of the nation's best

Gus' Fried Chicken: Doris Burke mentioned Gus on the ESPN telecast today. Yeah, it's that good.

Payne's BBQ: off the beaten path, on Lamar Ave. it's "Memphis"... My boys LOVE the Smoked Sausages and BBQ sandwiches. I live in Collierville on the other side of town, but I will drive 25 minutes to go there and load up.

ATTRACTIONS:

Natl Civil Right Museum: the old Lorraine Motel, where MLK was assassinated. Just underwent a massive renovation, haven't been there since it's reopened.

Peabody: nice place to hang out in the lobby bar, and catch the ducks do their march twice a day.

Graceland: look,Elvis ain't my cup of tea, but there's a reason why it draws hundreds of thousands of tourists.

Stax Museum: home of Soulsville. Former recording studio that was home to Isaac Hayes, Staples Singers, Sam and Dave, and many more. TRUE musical history here.

Beale Street: home of the blues. Plenty of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. FedEx Forum is steps away.

There's lots more, but thought I'd share a few thoughts with my Bearcat friends.

PS. Please leave Strickland and Jackson at home. ?

03-08-2014 07:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: Welcome (back) to Memphis!
Went to the CUSA tourney in 1996...GREAT time.

03-08-2014 07:12 PM
Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Loved Beale Street when I went to the Great Midwest Conference tournament.

03-08-2014 07:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Donators
Merrick

Thanks for stopping over and the great info

Best of luck vs Uconn and the NCAAs

Glad to see UC & Memphis back as conference mates

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

03-09-2014 06:01 AM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
Yes, indeed, nice to be playing our old friends again. I go back to the early sixties when Iwas 7-8 yrs old and we played in the old MVC with Bradley, Drake, NTS, I think Memphis and ST Lou, the Ville, the Shockers...that was a bad ass conference and playing the Tigers is always fun.
My favorite memory is when Penny was running his mouth at Nicky as they headed off the floor at halftime of the regional final and Nicky just held up four fingers at him. hahaha

Oh yeah, geat fun to be had in memphis, great fun.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 09:21 AM by beck.)
03-09-2014 09:20 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Here's a good site for restaurants and things to do. http://www.memphisdowntowner.com/restaurants/001.html

My recommendations:
FOOD
-I'll cosign Merrick's suggestion of Rendezvous, Flight(good lunch too) and Gus'(worth the inevitable wait)
-Central BBQ now has a downtown location right next to the Civil Rights Museum, really good BBQ/ribs/wings/local beer
-Flying Fish has good catfish/general seafood, last time I was there they had $1 rolling rocks too, I think it was between 5-7 but don't quote me
-Huey's is great if you just want a burger, annually voted best in Memphis and your kids(and you) can shoot toothpicks at the ceiling
-Itta Bena on Beale is good if you don't mind dropping a little coin
-Aldo's Pizza is great if you want pizza, good patio with bar inside
-Majestic Grille, place is always crowded but it's not my favorite, I appear to be in the minority so I thought I'd throw it in
-Dyer's on Beale also has a delicious burger, literally right next to the Forum
-Kooky Canuck has one of those burger challenges, if you eat the insanely large burger you get it free, decent family spot
-Chain restaurants, if you want something familiar there is a Texas de Brazil, Fridays, Hooters and Denny's off the top of my head

BARS
-Beale, obviously plenty of bars on Beale, not to mention just drinking on the street itself
-Flying Saucer, if you're into beer then the saucer is the place to go, they have about everything you could want, if you go check out the firesale(the nightly special)
-Local, across from Aldo's Pizza, as the name implies it's a local bar, really great bar food and a patio
-Bardog is another local bar, also with great bar food, personally my favorite bar downtown

VENTURING OUT
-Overton Square is just a short drive/cab away and has several restaurants/bars, if you want to get out of downtown for a night/day any Memphian would highly recommend hitting the square
-Memphis Zoo, we have a great zoo
-Brooks Museum of Art is right outside the zoo, right now they're doing a Dali exhibit if that's your thing
-Music, plenty of it around town, quick google search will find them

Well that's all I've got off the top of my head, hopefully it helps. Hope y'all bring a lot of fans to our city. Best of luck!

03-09-2014 10:15 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EffinBJ Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincinnati
Classy posts, memphis guys. Thank you!

03-09-2014 10:23 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Rob and Merrick, great stuff 04-bow Thank you for the visit.

I will concur on Stax, Civil Rights, and obviously Beale St. I also like Sun Studio and the Asian-Judaic Art Museum. Graceland was a good one-time thing, but also a huge money-grab. I think $8 for parking alone.

I went to the Interstate near the LB stadium, after our Liberty Bowl vs. Vandy. It really is good. And Huey's is definitely a good burger. I think that is near the baseball stadium?

03-09-2014 10:42 AM
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-09-2014 10:15 AM)Rob Wrote:  Here's a good site for restaurants and things to do. http://www.memphisdowntowner.com/restaurants/001.html

My recommendations:
FOOD
-I'll cosign Merrick's suggestion of Rendezvous, Flight(good lunch too) and Gus'(worth the inevitable wait)
-Central BBQ now has a downtown location right next to the Civil Rights Museum, really good BBQ/ribs/wings/local beer
-Flying Fish has good catfish/general seafood, last time I was there they had $1 rolling rocks too, I think it was between 5-7 but don't quote me
-Huey's is great if you just want a burger, annually voted best in Memphis and your kids(and you) can shoot toothpicks at the ceiling
-Itta Bena on Beale is good if you don't mind dropping a little coin
-Aldo's Pizza is great if you want pizza, good patio with bar inside
-Majestic Grille, place is always crowded but it's not my favorite, I appear to be in the minority so I thought I'd throw it in
-Dyer's on Beale also has a delicious burger, literally right next to the Forum
-Kooky Canuck has one of those burger challenges, if you eat the insanely large burger you get it free, decent family spot
-Chain restaurants, if you want something familiar there is a Texas de Brazil, Fridays, Hooters and Denny's off the top of my head

BARS
-Beale, obviously plenty of bars on Beale, not to mention just drinking on the street itself
-Flying Saucer, if you're into beer then the saucer is the place to go, they have about everything you could want, if you go check out the firesale(the nightly special)
-Local, across from Aldo's Pizza, as the name implies it's a local bar, really great bar food and a patio
-Bardog is another local bar, also with great bar food, personally my favorite bar downtown

VENTURING OUT
-Overton Square is just a short drive/cab away and has several restaurants/bars, if you want to get out of downtown for a night/day any Memphian would highly recommend hitting the square
-Memphis Zoo, we have a great zoo
-Brooks Museum of Art is right outside the zoo, right now they're doing a Dali exhibit if that's your thing
-Music, plenty of it around town, quick google search will find them

Well that's all I've got off the top of my head, hopefully it helps. Hope y'all bring a lot of fans to our city. Best of luck!

Holy cow, Rob named some that I hadn't thought of, but he's spot on! If you go to Central BBQ, try the jerk chicken wings...yeah, the Q is good, but the jerk wings are incredible! And I'm embarrassed I didn't mention Overton Square!

03-09-2014 11:32 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
I really enjoyed Memphis when we went down for the Liberty Bowl. Its hard not be a fan of Elvis after visiting Graceland

03-09-2014 11:38 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-09-2014 10:42 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Rob and Merrick, great stuff 04-bow Thank you for the visit.

I will concur on Stax, Civil Rights, and obviously Beale St. I also like Sun Studio and the Asian-Judaic Art Museum. Graceland was a good one-time thing, but also a huge money-grab. I think $8 for parking alone.

I went to the Interstate near the LB stadium, after our Liberty Bowl vs. Vandy. It really is good. And Huey's is definitely a good burger. I think that is near the baseball stadium?

It is and it is.

03-09-2014 03:13 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Damn it I wish I could make this trip!

03-09-2014 03:25 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Platinum Plus used to be a top attraction for Memphis roadies, but alas, it has gone the way of the dodo bird.

03-09-2014 05:29 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(03-09-2014 05:29 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Platinum Plus used to be a top attraction for Memphis roadies, but alas, it has gone the way of the dodo bird.

You dirty old man :)

03-09-2014 07:13 PM
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Where is everyone staying? I know the Alumni Assoc. is having a reception on Thursday at the Westin.

03-10-2014 07:41 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Not going to make it this year, but attended there a while back when they hosted the tourney and it was awesome. I'm sure they will be in the rotation and I'd be happy to attend there again.

Beale St is pretty awesome with everything packed together. The arena is really cool and I think this tourney should have good rep from at least the top 5 schools.

03-10-2014 08:19 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-09-2014 07:13 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 05:29 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Platinum Plus used to be a top attraction for Memphis roadies, but alas, it has gone the way of the dodo bird.

You dirty old man :)

Ha! I wasn't so old when we started going there 2 decades ago on UC roadies. Is there a statute of limitations on being a letch? If so, pleading no contest.

That place was like Tiajuana East. As God is my witness, last time we went, there was a storm trooper vice raid which is certainly entertaining as heck to watch as long as you walk with angels.

03-10-2014 08:53 AM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
I can't make it this year, but I will second the endorsement of Gus' Chicken. Also, I love Corky's BBQ. You can't go wrong with either of them.

03-10-2014 12:37 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(03-10-2014 12:37 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I can't make it this year, but I will second the endorsement of Gus' Chicken. Also, I love Corky's BBQ. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Corky's was always my favorite BBQ joint down there, with Rendevous a close 2nd. Although I didn't exactly hit them all, but did probably hit 6-7 of them over a couple years when I had to frequent Memphis for work.

Always enjoyed going to BB Kings as well. Boscos brewery was also another favorite I hit often. Was a huge fan of their Flaming Stone beer.

03-10-2014 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
(03-08-2014 07:08 PM)Merrick Wrote:  Folks, glad we are in the same conference again, and welcome to Memphis for the tourney. Lot of you have already been here, but for those who haven't, here's a few ideas for while you're visiting:

FOOD

Rendevous: yeah it's famous and right downtown near FedEx Forum. But it has a rep for a reason. Ribs are freakin fantastic, but also check out the sausage and cheese plate.

Flight: real unique place, where food is served in smaller portions, and in three's. So, you'd get three smaller entrees, three smaller veggies, deserts, etc. named by magazine as one of the nation's best

Gus' Fried Chicken: Doris Burke mentioned Gus on the ESPN telecast today. Yeah, it's that good.

Payne's BBQ: off the beaten path, on Lamar Ave. it's "Memphis"... My boys LOVE the Smoked Sausages and BBQ sandwiches. I live in Collierville on the other side of town, but I will drive 25 minutes to go there and load up.

ATTRACTIONS:

Natl Civil Right Museum: the old Lorraine Motel, where MLK was assassinated. Just underwent a massive renovation, haven't been there since it's reopened.

Peabody: nice place to hang out in the lobby bar, and catch the ducks do their march twice a day.

Graceland: look,Elvis ain't my cup of tea, but there's a reason why it draws hundreds of thousands of tourists.

Stax Museum: home of Soulsville. Former recording studio that was home to Isaac Hayes, Staples Singers, Sam and Dave, and many more. TRUE musical history here.

Beale Street: home of the blues. Plenty of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. FedEx Forum is steps away.

There's lots more, but thought I'd share a few thoughts with my Bearcat friends.

PS. Please leave Strickland and Jackson at home. ?

You can't leave The BBQ Shop in Midtown off the list!

03-10-2014 09:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.