Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High School Football [split] 2014 football schedule
Bookmark and Share
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
High School Football [split] 2014 football schedule
Three Friday night games during high school football season, two at home?

Lovely. I am already down to only three game I have a chance to get to. One is Miami (OH), which shouldn't be much more than a scrimmage. The others are East Caroiina and Houston, which aren't too bad.

03-11-2014 04:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

RE: 2014 football schedule
(03-11-2014 04:25 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Three Friday night games during high school football season, two at home?

Lovely. I am already down to only three game I have a chance to get to. One is Miami (OH), which shouldn't be much more than a scrimmage. The others are East Caroiina and Houston, which aren't too bad.

You and your MAC football...can't blame you, I'd rather watch that than the GCL stuff they've got down here anyways.

03-11-2014 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I like Friday night games a whole lot more than Thursday night games. I haven't been to a high school football game since I was a freshmen or sophomore in high school. Once I realized the kids playing on the team were a bunch of jerks, its somewhat hard to root for them.

If you are in high school or have a family member on the team, I understand the desire to attend games. I went to my high school because my parents had a home in the district, I went to UC because I wanted to.

Anyway, I like the schedule.

03-11-2014 04:44 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(03-11-2014 04:44 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I like Friday night games a whole lot more than Thursday night games. I haven't been to a high school football game since I was a freshmen or sophomore in high school. Once I realized the kids playing on the team were a bunch of jerks, its somewhat hard to root for them.

If you are in high school or have a family member on the team, I understand the desire to attend games. I went to my high school because my parents had a home in the district, I went to UC because I wanted to.

My thoughts exactly. I've NEVER understood what the infatuation with high school football is around here. Seeing 70 year old men wearing Purple walking to Elder High School on a Friday night makes me laugh, because that crap doesn't happen ANYWHERE else.

03-11-2014 04:51 PM
AZBCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-11-2014 04:51 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 04:44 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I like Friday night games a whole lot more than Thursday night games. I haven't been to a high school football game since I was a freshmen or sophomore in high school. Once I realized the kids playing on the team were a bunch of jerks, its somewhat hard to root for them.

My thoughts exactly. I've NEVER understood what the infatuation with high school football is around here. Seeing 70 year old men wearing Purple walking to Elder High School on a Friday night makes me laugh, because that crap doesn't happen ANYWHERE else.

You've clearly never been to Texas...

03-11-2014 05:03 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati

Not that you two are the worst offenders, but I've NEVER understood the negativity (snobbery? elitism?) by some towards those who attend high school football games. I think it would be cool to see "70 year old men wearing Purple walking to Elder High School on a Friday night". Good for them to walk out of the house to attend something they enjoy. It's cheap entertainment and it helps build and establish a community.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 05:55 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
03-11-2014 05:06 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I see no difference between a guy who is out of high school going to high school games and a guy who is out of college going to college games. Except the guy going to high school games has a better chance of actually knowing some of the players and their families.

03-11-2014 05:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Plus I actually do stats for the local high school team and write about the games for the local newspaper. Friday night games are an automatic no go for me.

03-11-2014 05:29 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(03-11-2014 05:03 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  

I have, and I know that people care for high school football, but not at the expense of college football like it is here. That's what I meant to comment on moreso than just people going to high school football games.

I just always felt like people who had to go back to high school games probably go back to relive the glory days more than anything else. I felt bad for the people who came back to watch my high school play football and didn't have any relation to the team other than the fact that they went there years ago (no family members, friends, etc. on the teams). I don't know, just a personal preference, but I feel like investing $75,000 into an education allows one to develop a much stronger connection to activities such as collegiate athletics, alumni functions, fraternity/sorority alumni engagement. Then again, some people spend that much on high school around here (which is a completely different issue for me), so maybe they have the same thought process.

03-11-2014 05:34 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(03-11-2014 05:29 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Plus I actually do stats for the local high school team and write about the games for the local newspaper. Friday night games are an automatic no go for me.

You have to agree that you are in the vast minority when it comes to occupational obligation. Minster or New Bremen?

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 05:36 PM by BearcatMan.)
03-11-2014 05:35 PM
Bearcatbdub Online
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
The town I grew up in HS football is huge tons of people going to the games that have no kids playing or who aren't in school. High school football is Americana, nothing wrong with that.

03-11-2014 05:36 PM
AZBCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I do agree if you have a choice between the two, I would hope you can sacrifice one or two nights of high school football to come see the Cats. But the fact that high school football has such a strong following in Ohio communities is what makes it such a fertile recruiting ground. If football is what the whole community follows at any age, then that's what the kids will play. My nephew plays soccer in small Ohio town, but is a big kid (almost too big for soccer at this point). The pressure to switch over to football is enormous and I won't be surprised if he eventually does.

03-11-2014 06:54 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: High School Football [split] 2014 football schedule
(03-11-2014 06:54 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  I do agree if you have a choice between the two, I would hope you can sacrifice one or two nights of high school football to come see the Cats. But the fact that high school football has such a strong following in Ohio communities is what makes it such a fertile recruiting ground. If football is what the whole community follows at any age, then that's what the kids will play. My nephew plays soccer in small Ohio town, but is a big kid (almost too big for soccer at this point). The pressure to switch over to football is enormous and I won't be surprised if he eventually does.

The High School Football "community" is a small town mentality. I never understood the obsession in Cincinnati. I played for my high school team in Columbus, even made it as far as the Div 1 Semi's... I have no need, want or desire to go back and watch a game.

Unless I had a kid on the team High School sports would always be a distant second option to watching college football.

03-12-2014 07:01 AM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Why in the hell are you only calling out Elder people? It happens all over Cincinnati, not just there. And to say it doesnt happen elsewhere is completely false. Go to just about any small town and high school football is everything to those people.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 07:21 AM by Marcus.)
03-12-2014 07:17 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2014 05:36 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  The town I grew up in HS football is huge tons of people going to the games that have no kids playing or who aren't in school. High school football is Americana, nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. I cant believe people actually have a problem with it, if that is how people enjoy spending their free time.

03-12-2014 07:22 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
Interesting, I never considered some would see people going to HS football games (or basketball or any other sports) a negative.

I have only been to a couple HS games in Anderson, but they do get a really good crowd. Seems to me it is as much (or for some MORE) about seeing and meeting up with friends from the community as watching the actual game.

Not sure whether that is "small town". IMO probably more a sign of connection in the community than anything else considering you can examples of that kind of support in the middle of a city or in a "small town".

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 07:56 AM by Eastside_J.)
03-12-2014 07:55 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
It's not seen as a negative, its seen as a threat by a few. Thus, the vitriol.

Surprised 1/3 of the home schedule is on a Friday night. Between the weak conference slate, the 2 MAC teams being the only OOC home games, PBS and a couple Friday evenings, would not be surprised to see renewals slide a bit for one year.

03-12-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2014 05:35 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 05:29 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Plus I actually do stats for the local high school team and write about the games for the local newspaper. Friday night games are an automatic no go for me.

You have to agree that you are in the vast minority when it comes to occupational obligation. Minster or New Bremen?

Minster. Use to work with LaSalle Coach Moore every week.

03-12-2014 11:49 AM
dalbc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & LBSU
(03-11-2014 05:34 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I have, and I know that people care for high school football, but not at the expense of college football like it is here. That's what I meant to comment on moreso than just people going to high school football games.

I just always felt like people who had to go back to high school games probably go back to relive the glory days more than anything else. I felt bad for the people who came back to watch my high school play football and didn't have any relation to the team other than the fact that they went there years ago (no family members, friends, etc. on the teams). I don't know, just a personal preference, but I feel like investing $75,000 into an education allows one to develop a much stronger connection to activities such as collegiate athletics, alumni functions, fraternity/sorority alumni engagement. Then again, some people spend that much on high school around here (which is a completely different issue for me), so maybe they have the same thought process.

I lived in Dallas for quite some time. While crowds in excess of 10,000 were the norm (our high school's stadium held 12,000+), the stands didn't include many 70 year olds. In my experience, the Dallas-area football crowds comprised the kids in the school system and their families. I can't remember seeing my neighbors attend a single game once their kids graduated from high school. I suspect the average age of an attendee at a Cincinnati area high school football game is much higher than other areas.

I don't find that to be either good or bad ... just different. Having lived in several places around the country, I do though believe the attachment to high schools in Cincinnati unique and, frankly, rather strange (and somewhat amusing).

03-14-2014 06:43 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-14-2014 06:43 PM)dalbc Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 05:34 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I lived in Dallas for quite some time. While crowds in excess of 10,000 were the norm (our high school's stadium held 12,000+), the stands didn't include many 70 year olds. In my experience, the Dallas-area football crowds comprised the kids in the school system and their families. I can't remember seeing my neighbors attend a single game once their kids graduated from high school. I suspect the average age of an attendee at a Cincinnati area high school football game is much higher than other areas.

I don't find that to be either good or bad ... just different. Having lived in several places around the country, I do though believe the attachment to high schools in Cincinnati unique and, frankly, rather strange (and somewhat amusing).

I've lived in other larger cities and concur. Someone made the point earlier that it is a small town mentality and I would agree (I've also lived in those type of towns)-- the Elder and Colerain following reminds me a heck of lot of Steubenville and Massillon. I work with a guy in his 60s who has season tickets to Elder football and football games. He travels to all of the road games, including those out of town. He is proud to state he has never bought a ticket to watch the Bengals, Reds or a college game.

There are quite a few like this in his age group. The interesting thing to see will be if those younger than that age group carry it on like generations past. The past few years have made me think that is not the case. A lot more people are moving out of those neighborhoods and moving to different parts of the city and/or leaving town completely. The Pro and College teams have been very successful the past decade and the 40 year old and younger crowd are more likely to follow those sports over HS.

03-14-2014 10:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.