Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa vs. UCLA question
Bookmark and Share
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
Tulsa vs. UCLA question
Unless it pertains to TU I don't keep up with with college basketball much as I probably should.

My question is:

What do you think Tulsa needs to do to be competitive against UCLA? (Other than the obvious score more points than them 05-nono )
03-17-2014 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Tulsa vs. UCLA question
I think it being in California sure doesn't help. A part of me wanted to pick Tulsa until I saw where the game was.....though of course anything can happen. Good thing for Tulsa is that UCLA is hardly unbeatable. They're quite vulnerable.

But I believe someone is going to have to ball-out for Tulsa to pull the upset. I'm talking 25+ points.
03-17-2014 12:53 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I'll go out in a limb and take Tulsa by 5
03-17-2014 01:00 PM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Just a little brief scouting job on UCLA:

12th in PPG, 10th in FG%, 5th in assists nationally tells me they're pretty efficient offensively. They're 129th in RPG. Defensively, the rank 200th in PPGA and 4th in SPG. Just looking at these numbers tells me they're guard-heavy. 7 of their top 8 players have played in at least 33 of their 34 games and the 8th has played in 31, so they've been healthy all year. 4 guys average at least 10 per with the most scoring 17 per. Another 4 average at least 6 per. Balanced attack. Kyle Anderson leads the team in both rebounding (8.8 per) and assists (6.6 per). They shoot 49% from the floor, 39% from 3, and 75% from the FT stripe. They're on a 3 game winning streak, finished 2nd in the P12, and won the P12 tournament. Looking at their results, they didn't do much OOC but took care of business in it. Tulsa would have to play really well to come out with a W.
03-17-2014 01:03 PM
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
Lot of info there. Thanks herdfan
03-17-2014 01:07 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
UCLA's head coach has a history of losing in the dance. I'd give Tulsa a very good chance to win.
03-17-2014 01:11 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Good point. Forgot about that.
03-17-2014 01:25 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Every Tulsa win is more money for the rest of us, so I'll take Tulsa in this one.
03-17-2014 01:32 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

(03-17-2014 12:47 PM)Jesterondirt Wrote:  Unless it pertains to TU I don't keep up with with college basketball much as I probably should.

My question is:

What do you think Tulsa needs to do to be competitive against UCLA? (Other than the obvious score more points than them 05-nono )

UCLA is at least 10 points better than Tulsa. Only way Tulsa wins is if they play very well and UCLA has an off night.
03-17-2014 01:44 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
(03-17-2014 01:44 PM)USMSTUD Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 12:47 PM)Jesterondirt Wrote:  Unless it pertains to TU I don't keep up with with college basketball much as I probably should.

My question is:

UCLA is at least 10 points better than Tulsa. Only way Tulsa wins is if they play very well and UCLA has an off night.

With their size advantage, we need to break fast and press hard. Thier bigs will be suseptable to the short jumper, which should be our game plan. And we will have to hit threes at an acceptable rate for two reasons, one is that on a miss, our guards have a good chance to rebound the long ones then attack off the dribble and the other is that it brings their bigs away from the basket, or should. Our guards need to attack the inside and draw fouls whenever possible. A fast guard on a semi slower big is to our advantage. Defensively, we should play hard pressure out front and double team the ball "hard" instead of hedge so much.

imo
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 02:14 PM by rabidTU2.)
03-17-2014 02:12 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Tulsa has the talent and the coaching to hang with UCLA. But all those sophomores, wow… this is the biggest stage they have ever played on, and keeping their nerve will be a separate challenge all by itself.
03-17-2014 04:06 PM
Advertisement

MondoMiner Offline
Adelantado and Captain-General

I Root For: Los Mineros
(03-17-2014 01:32 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  Every Tulsa win is more money for the rest of us, so I'll take Tulsa in this one.

You do realize that your pick has no bearing on the outcome of the game, right? 03-wink
03-17-2014 11:54 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

UCLA will win. No offense, but I don't think Tulsa is that good. They just got hot in the tournament.
03-18-2014 08:08 AM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2014 08:08 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  UCLA will win. No offense, but I don't think Tulsa is that good. They just got hot in the tournament.

Counting the conference tournament, Tulsa finished the season on a 17-3 run.
03-18-2014 08:42 AM
Nevadanatural Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
That's ok, we Tulsa fans have heard this before. In fact just a couple of weeks ago the guy that does the Miner Rush thing wrote this:

"I do believe Tulsa can hang with the top teams, but I don't think they are one just yet."

And:

"I think if LA Tech and Tulsa played again, like today, LA Tech rolls"

I think UCLA has the advantage and will probably win but Tulsa is pretty good.
03-18-2014 08:43 AM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
(03-18-2014 08:08 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  UCLA will win. No offense, but I don't think Tulsa is that good. They just got hot in the tournament.

Actually Tulsa had been hot for the previous 5 weeks before the Tournament Championship. Tulsa has a streak of 11 wins in row with 6 wins in a row on the road included. The Tournament win was not a fluke.
03-18-2014 08:48 AM
Advertisement

goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
Re: RE: Tulsa vs. UCLA question

Lol sounds like some sour grapes - UCLA has a good chance to win, but that's why we play the game. Plus if we're "not that good" - what does that say for you guys and the rest of C-USA?

I still don't get the bitterness towards Tulsa from some folks here.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-18-2014 11:58 AM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(03-17-2014 02:12 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 01:44 PM)USMSTUD Wrote:  

My question is:

With their size advantage, we need to break fast and press hard. Thier bigs will be suseptable to the short jumper, which should be our game plan. And we will have to hit threes at an acceptable rate for two reasons, one is that on a miss, our guards have a good chance to rebound the long ones then attack off the dribble and the other is that it brings their bigs away from the basket, or should. Our guards need to attack the inside and draw fouls whenever possible. A fast guard on a semi slower big is to our advantage. Defensively, we should play hard pressure out front and double team the ball "hard" instead of hedge so much.

imo

Agreed. Tulsa must run early and run often. Since UCLA is very efficient on offense, pressing would probably be a good idea.
03-18-2014 12:13 PM
Funslinger Offline
All American

Tulsa is probably the most talented roster in the conference from top to bottom. And one of the youngest.
03-18-2014 12:17 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Best of luck to Tulsa this week. Best team in the conference at the end of the year. Think they have a real chance to beat UCLA.
03-18-2014 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.