Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause a split
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause a split
NRLB ruling, CBS news analyst said, ruling only pertains to private schools and not public universities schools. Will this cause a split of the private from the public?

WE WON!
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 06:38 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
03-26-2014 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chuck A Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UIC Flames
RE: 'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause a split
(03-26-2014 05:46 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  NRLB ruling, CBS news analysis said ruling only pertains to private schools and not public universities schools will this cause a split of the private from the public.?

If anything it will cause universities, if they have to pay, to drop sports altogether. Then they'll just focus on academics. I'm sure the B1G wouldn't have a problem with Northwestern being gone from the conference.
03-26-2014 06:13 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
RE: 'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause a split
maybe they will just go non-scholarship like the ivy's, but somehow always find "academic" scholarships for the players...

I actually like the idea of ALL college sports moving towards non-scholarship injunction and public colleges becoming affordable or as close as free for all as possible (similar to the high school setup) I think high schools should go to 3 years too with the 4th year of high school being an optional college prep year that would allow college to be reduced by a year as well. but back on subject, this will have a huge ripple effect, I hope for the best.
03-26-2014 06:28 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(03-26-2014 06:13 PM)Chuck A Wrote:  
(03-26-2014 05:46 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  NRLB ruling, CBS news analysis said ruling only pertains to private schools and not public universities schools will this cause a split of the private from the public.?

If anything it will cause universities, if they have to pay, to drop sports altogether. Then they'll just focus on academics. I'm sure the B1G wouldn't have a problem with Northwestern being gone from the conference.

USC will just focus on academics? Hmmm... that will be interesting to see.
03-26-2014 06:29 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
If I were Northwestern I'd start charging students to play football. You might not get the best kids but you'd have plenty to make a roster. Make a membership fee like a gym or a rec league. There is no reason the players need to be employees. They could be clients of your rec league and gym.
03-26-2014 06:33 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
11 P5 openings all at once if the privates have to drop sports?

Talk about the **** hitting the fan!
03-26-2014 06:34 PM
Advertisement

Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause ...
With all due respect, I think you are being naive if you think that only private schools will ultimately be impacted if this decision survives the court challenges which, IMO, are sure to follow. While it is reported that THIS decision only impacts private schools, IF college athletes are indeed determined to be employees of the university, then, IMO, what is to stop state employee unions from organizing athletes at public universities as state employees (much the same as the many other state employees who are unionized)?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 06:41 PM by Eagle78.)
03-26-2014 06:35 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
If scholarship athletes are employees then are students on academic scholarship also going to unionize?
03-26-2014 06:37 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-26-2014 06:37 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  If scholarship athletes are employees then are students on academic scholarship also going to unionize?

I had to maintain a B average to keep my scholarship. That's oppression! It seriously cut into my drinking time.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 06:46 PM by orangefan.)
03-26-2014 06:45 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I think the best part of this is how it actually forces the NCAA to at least talk about the matter; something that was a reaction to the years of the organization either sitting on or just flat out denying ever existed.

This may start with football, but hoops are just around the corner, because it's so much worse. You can be a good player and be a great student...but you have no rights if a coach doesn't want you. And that the school doesn't have to go to bat for you...that's the worst part.
03-26-2014 07:12 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
(03-26-2014 06:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  11 P5 openings all at once if the privates have to drop sports?

Cutting out Baylor, TCU and SMU wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.07-coffee3

Just kidding.. No one get upset
03-26-2014 07:37 PM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

(03-26-2014 07:37 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  
(03-26-2014 06:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  11 P5 openings all at once if the privates have to drop sports?

There are plenty of state supported schools willing to take there place, that's for sure. The P5 privates may end up being in the same boat with the Ivies. Love to be a fly on the wall in the President office of these schools, some of them I would think are contemplating and discussing contingency plans (of possibly bailing on big time football ) if NWU loses their appeal before the larger NRLB board. Fasten your seatbelt boys, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 09:26 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
03-26-2014 08:47 PM
C Marlow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: PITT
Personally, I'd love to see all div1 athletes get the right to unionize. It would suck for college athletics but would be a net benefit to the schools in the long term. Since most schools lose money on athletics...

Also, you would stop the farce of these "student athletes" pretending to care about school. Minor league football will me around the corner. Net benefit for the pros and the colleges long term, but will be short term pain.
03-26-2014 09:12 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
If they start to get paid to play will that mean that video games can be made again?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-26-2014 09:19 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(03-26-2014 05:46 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  NRLB ruling, CBS news analyst said, ruling only pertains to private schools and not public universities schools. Will this cause a split of the private from the public?

WE WON!

My understanding from reading other stories is that this only applies to the privates because they will be under the federal law. The same thing will happen to the publics but only on a state by state basis as a group files with each state board. And the appeals will take several years. We're a long way from thinking about a split.
03-26-2014 09:25 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-26-2014 08:47 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  

There are plenty of state supported schools willing to take there place, that's for sure. The P5 privates may end up being in the same boat with the Ivies. Love to be a fly on the wall in the President office of these schools, some of them I would think are contemplating and discussing contingency plans (of possibly bailing on big time football ) if NWU loses their appeal before the larger NRLB board. Fasten your seatbelt folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
I can't see USC or Notre Dame dropping football unless all the other privates have.
Maybe the BE and BC, SU, Duke, WF, Miami, Vandy, Rice, SMU, Tulsa and Northwestern team up in a 20 team TV contract for basketball (Tulane, Baylor and TCU have football stadiums to pay for).
03-26-2014 09:27 PM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

(03-26-2014 09:25 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(03-26-2014 05:46 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  NRLB ruling, CBS news analyst said, ruling only pertains to private schools and not public universities schools. Will this cause a split of the private from the public?

WE WON!

My understanding from reading other stories is that this only applies to the privates because they will be under the federal law. The same thing will happen to the publics but only on a state by state basis as a group files with each state board. And the appeals will take several years. We're a long way from thinking about a split.
I'm no labor lawyer, I would think Universities in right to work states like Texas it wouldn't matter much. May be wrong. According to CBS article the state supported schools the athletes would have to go to their state LRB, to ask for unionization. Like to see how that plays out in Texas, can you imagine UT & A&M players asking the state LRB for permission to unionize...LOL
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 09:34 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
03-26-2014 09:31 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Next... salaries, paid vacations, retirement and Obama care...... Put a uni on them and call them GM. Are they negotiating practice times too? Maybe a free education for their kids, kind of similar to their free education? Mom and day will pay the dues...right?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 09:38 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
03-26-2014 09:31 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
'We won!' NRLB ruling only pertains to private universities, will this cause ...
(03-26-2014 08:47 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  

There are plenty of state supported schools willing to take there place, that's for sure. The P5 privates may end up being in the same boat with the Ivies. Love to be a fly on the wall in the President office of these schools, some of them I would think are contemplating and discussing contingency plans (of possibly bailing on big time football ) if they lose there appeal before the larger NRLB board. Fasten your seatbelt folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Sorry, but, IMO, this is a simplistic and inaccurate view of this. First of all, regardless of what happens in an appeal, this will, IMO, go into the courts and, given the magnitude of issue at hand, will likely be a lengthy process. Second, why do you think that only private universities will ultimately be impacted? According to the reporting, THIS case applies only to private universities as the athletes attempting to form a bargaining unit are at a private university where federal law applies. If ultimately successful, what makes you think that athletes at a state university won't bring the same petition to join a state employee union via their state labor board?

The reality, IMO, is that this has the potential to impact ALL collegiate athletics in BOTH private and state universities.

From what I understand, the decision states that athletes CAN vote to join a union. Even if this goes through, that doesn't mean that the athletes at every school will actually vote to join a union.

Finally, NO ONE knows the full impact of such a change so, IMO, I highly doubt any school is actively considering dropping football at this early stage. (BTW, what makes you think that this will stop with FB? Why not BB, for example?)
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 09:46 PM by Eagle78.)
03-26-2014 09:35 PM
Tbringer Offline
Banned

I Root For: FBS
It is going to be interesting to see how the various private schools handle this.

In the ACC:
Duke
Syracuse
Wake
BC
Miami
ND

In the Big Ten:
Northwestern

In the Pac 12:
USC
Stanford

In the BIG 12:
TCU
Baylor

In the SEC:
Vanderbilt

This change could impact some of these schools financially in serious ways. Of course there are even more in the G5 conferences such as Tulane.

It will be awhile for this to get through the courts, but if the athletes are successful it could have major implications down the road for some.
03-26-2014 09:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.