Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it time to add UConn to the ACC?
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Is it time to add UConn to the ACC?
Let's get it done and add Connecticut and Cincinnati to get 16 full members, with Notre Dame as the 17th member. 07-coffee3
04-08-2014 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
RE: Is it time to add UConn to the ACC?
We are waiting for Notre dame @15 before we invite anyone at this moment in time.

Flossy out...04-wine
04-08-2014 01:53 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Where is the money coming from to not only cover UConn's piece of the pie, but expand the rest of the conference enough to make it worth our while?
04-08-2014 02:15 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Expansion is about
[Image: football.jpg]

and the market$ delivered by the invited football programs.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 03:18 AM by CrazyPaco.)
04-08-2014 03:11 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-08-2014 01:31 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Let's get it done and add Connecticut and Cincinnati to get 16 full members, with Notre Dame as the 17th member. 07-coffee3

That is a $40M/year proposition. Would ESPN bankroll it? As fun as it might be to have those 2 in hoops (and the Bearcats in football), that's a lot of money!
04-08-2014 03:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-08-2014 03:15 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 01:31 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Let's get it done and add Connecticut and Cincinnati to get 16 full members, with Notre Dame as the 17th member. 07-coffee3

That is a $40M/year proposition. Would ESPN bankroll it? As fun as it might be to have those 2 in hoops (and the Bearcats in football), that's a lot of money!

No, they get UConn men's and women's basketball on the super cheap by them staying in the American. They don't want to have to pay for their football like it is a BCS program.
04-08-2014 03:20 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
If the ACC is successful in the quest to rid itself of divisions in Football and an ACC TV network could get approved soon , I could see Us adding both UConn and Cincinnati into the fold. It would still be 2 years away before They could enter and a lot can happen in that time frame. Both offer a sound package with multiple strengths in various sports. I would at least weigh the benefits and discuss the options before Big12 makes a move.
04-08-2014 05:08 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-08-2014 05:08 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  If the ACC is successful in the quest to rid itself of divisions in Football and an ACC TV network could get approved soon , I could see Us adding both UConn and Cincinnati into the fold. It would still be 2 years away before They could enter and a lot can happen in that time frame. Both offer a sound package with multiple strengths in various sports. I would at least weigh the benefits and discuss the options before Big12 makes a move.

I could see this ONLY if there is an ACC Network to go with it.

Meanwhile, if UConn wants into the ACC, they should be negotiating with ESPN, not with the ACC.
04-08-2014 05:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
No. When will it stop?!?!
04-08-2014 05:33 AM
LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
Invite UConn? Sure, if Kevin Ollie agrees to coach their football program too! Lol.

In all seriousness, their men's and woman's bball programs are dynamic. However, UConn needs to start winning in football in order to be considered since football is the new bread winner.
04-08-2014 05:35 AM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(04-08-2014 05:08 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  If the ACC is successful in the quest to rid itself of divisions in Football and an ACC TV network could get approved soon , I could see Us adding both UConn and Cincinnati into the fold. It would still be 2 years away before They could enter and a lot can happen in that time frame. Both offer a sound package with multiple strengths in various sports. I would at least weigh the benefits and discuss the options before Big12 makes a move.

Why not add UConn and UMass so the ACC gets hockey while we're at it..........
04-08-2014 05:59 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(04-08-2014 05:59 AM)wildthing202 Wrote:  

Why not add UConn and UMass so the ACC gets hockey while we're at it..........

Only if it can be played in the Hot Summer months ! 04-cheers
04-08-2014 06:21 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

No offense Wilkie.....but have you lost your mind?
04-08-2014 07:23 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
No. 05-nono
04-08-2014 07:25 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
If we cannot add UConn can we trade them for BC?

[Image: 31899757.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 07:48 AM by WNCOrange.)
04-08-2014 07:48 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

This is a horrible idea.
05-ban
04-08-2014 07:54 AM
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
I'm all about football, but if divisions were scrapped, adding two more sub-par football teams wouldn't necessarily make the schedule any worse than it is. But I just don't see where the money comes from. There's no strategic value to taking them, even if the ACC pay stays the same. Who cares if the Big 12 takes them (they won't, they make zero sense in the Big 12 model)?

If in some bizarro world ESPN decided that they would pay for ACC basketball like they do other conferences' football, or decided they could launch an ACC Network that would significantly increase revenues and could get it on in Ohio, NYC and New England by adding those two, it would be worth looking at. But I don't see that happening.

I just don't see any reason to proactively add them.
04-08-2014 08:46 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
If we don't have to play them in football then I don't care. I think they are good enough in most sports to contribute to the ACC but I have no interest in watching their football team.
04-08-2014 08:49 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-08-2014 08:46 AM)Lou_C Wrote:  I'm all about football, but if divisions were scrapped, adding two more sub-par football teams wouldn't necessarily make the schedule any worse than it is. But I just don't see where the money comes from. There's no strategic value to taking them, even if the ACC pay stays the same. Who cares if the Big 12 takes them (they won't, they make zero sense in the Big 12 model)?

If in some bizarro world ESPN decided that they would pay for ACC basketball like they do other conferences' football, or decided they could launch an ACC Network that would significantly increase revenues and could get it on in Ohio, NYC and New England by adding those two, it would be worth looking at. But I don't see that happening.

I just don't see any reason to proactively add them.

If divisions were scrapped and we went to pods it would make it easier to pick them up without adding a 16th team. The problem would still be as you say the cash. With UConn being located in the same state as ESPN and now being the best hoops program of the last 25 years who knows? Maybe ESPN will finally get off their asses and offer more money to add UConn to an already stellar ACC hoops lineup.
04-08-2014 08:55 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-08-2014 07:25 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  No. 05-nono

I beg to disagree!
04-08-2014 09:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.