Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A more kind and more gentle NCAA
Bookmark and Share
Zoroaster Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
A more kind and more gentle NCAA
Now that Hugs is gone and Queen Nancy reigns over the bearcat nation.... were we not supposed to be treat more fairly.

How does this happeen adn we are still waiting Hall and Adam

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feed...19348.html

10-25-2006 07:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pobearman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I believe Hall and Adam's issues are not academic but whether they played in unsanctioned or pro leagues. However, your point is valid considering the job they did on the football players.

10-25-2006 07:39 PM
Zoroaster Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati

pobear..that and just the speed at which they address Thabeet... Don't we have some concept in this coutry folks are entitled to a fair and speedy trial????

Well at least we did have those concepts.

10-25-2006 07:43 PM
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people

I was ready to be patient until the NCAA quickly decided another foreign player's status (Thabeet). I have a bad feeling about both these guys. Just like Pilgrim, Banks, and Abdul. They all start out the same way, "we should know something in a day or so...next week...two weeks...by the end of december...next year."

Mick's comments have changes over the last two weeks. First, it was if we played tomorrow Adam would be the only player sitting out. Then it was Hall and Adam H have issues which should be resolved soon. Now it is "if they both aren't ineligible this year, we can be a good team." When did the entire year become a possibility??? I don't like the sound of this and this wont be a small loss. This is losing two potential starters and big men at that. Adam H has been here for months all the while his eligibility was being resolved. I can't figure out why it would take 3 or 4 months to address this and resolve it.

10-26-2006 08:15 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators

Mike Ryan said he has a feeling Mick Cronin is changing his tune because BOTH will be ineligible.

10-26-2006 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people

Ahh must be nice to be a UConn Husky fan. This is the way it is supposed to work I guess. This kid gets credit for courses taken in Tanzania but Abdul took three High school English classes in the US and lost an entire year b/c two of the classes were accepted but one was not. Abdul's case really was revolting when you think about it.

UConn's Thabeet declared eligible
Posted: Wednesday October 25, 2006 4:58PM; Updated: Wednesday October 25, 2006 4:58PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Connecticut freshman center Hasheem Thabeet has been declared eligible by the NCAA to play this season, UConn coach Jim Calhoun said Wednesday.

Thabeet, a 7-foot-3 center from Tanzania, had been seeking a ruling from the NCAA on whether he met some core curriculum requirements.

Basketball Incentive Patches
Iron-on basketball patches. Reward youth basketball team players for coming to practice...
http://www.soccerhelp.com

Find NBA Fan Gear Galore at Fansedge
Fansedge sells a complete line-up of team basketball, collectibles and other fan...
http://www.fansedge.com

The case was complex because Thabeet was educated in both Tanzania and the United States. He attended Cyprus Community Christian School in Houston last year.

"We always had enough confidence the academic background Hasheem had in Tanzania would hopefully withstand the criteria set up by the NCAA," Calhoun said. "It was very difficult to match the two up. Obviously I couldn't be happier for Hasheem, and me and our basketball team."

Thabeet is expected to be UConn's starting center. The team had been practicing two separate styles, not knowing if they would have a true center, Calhoun said.

"He will have an impact," Calhoun said. "He will be in the top one, two in having an impact, not in the Big East, in the country. He will, at times, make it very difficult to shoot lay-ups. He has the ability to change games."

Thabeet already has completed six hours worth of courses at the university and is enrolled in five other courses, Calhoun said earlier this month.

Calhoun was notified Tuesday evening of the NCAA's decision, and relayed the news to Thabeet.

"He has a great smile and this one didn't stop," he said. "He smiled the whole time."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published

10-26-2006 08:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Thats my take on it too. I'd plan to write them both off for this season. Gunna be a long, long year, friends.

If they really deserve to be ineligible, so be it. But the extent to which the NCAA seems to castigate UC through arbitrary decisions is unbelievable. Talk about having an axe to grind. We are still paying the price for the bad boy, renegade program image.

If the administration truely believes Adam and Hernol don't deserve ineligibility, I hope this time UC decides to protect these kids rights in federal court. Injunctive relief might put the NCAA on notice to stop to this crap once and for all.

10-26-2006 08:44 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Murph29 Wrote:Obviously I couldn't be happier for Hasheem, and me and our basketball team."

I'm sure you are, coach.

The longer this crap goes on the more pi$$ed off I get. Why is UC always on the short end of the stick with this stuff?

10-26-2006 08:46 AM
BillyDon Offline
All American

I Root For:

Donators
Re: A more kind and more gentle NCAA
Zarathustra Wrote:Now that Hugs is gone and Queen Nancy reigns over the bearcat nation.... were we not supposed to be treat more fairly.

How does this happeen adn we are still waiting Hall and Adam

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feed...19348.html
To give you an example of how some things work here is what some schools do. UK last year hired the highest priced lawyer they could find and who had worked for the NCAA to get Morris back. Just recently the AD of KS went to Indianapolis to the NCAA offices to talk about Walker. Has Mike Thomas been to Indianapolis to the NCAA about Hall and Adam H. ? What do you think? Don

10-26-2006 08:53 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators

I think some schools might push harder than UC does to get recruits cases looked at. I read that the Kansas St. AD flew out to meet with the NCAA with regards to Bill Walker. If you make the matter more public, the NCAA is forced to handle it as a priority. Jim Calhoun raised hell about Thabeet and that made national news. The NCAA recently bent rules with regards to a Clemson football player taking care of his younger brother, because that story was in ever single newspaper and had a huge write up in SI. If the NCAA can put something on a backburner and has had problems with a school like UC in the past, then good luck with a fastly resolved positive answer.

EDIT: You beat me to that point Don. I was too lazy to type this again so I went to the site that I posted it before to copy and paste it. ;-)

10-26-2006 09:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.