Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why Not Rutgers?
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Why Not Rutgers?
Why not Rutgers?
If Rutgers doesn't belong, Louisville doesn't belong.
by Todd Helmick
NationalChamps.net
November 6, 2006

Let the BCS nightmare begin. This Thursday on ESPN, undefeated Louisville (#3 in the BCS) heads to New Brunswick, NJ to do battle with undefeated Rutgers (#13 in the BCS). The big question this week: Does Louisville belong in the national championship game if they run the table?

Well, listening to ESPN all weekend, the big answer is absolutely - Louisville belongs. But when people like the well-respected Kirk Herbsteit and Mark May are asked the same question about Rutgers (should they run the table), the smirks on faces were tough to disguise.
11-07-2006 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

It's a matter of perception. Many on their high horse feel UofL hasn't "earned the right" to play for a national championship at this point in their program. They view it as if the program needs to hit certain levels as you rise up a chain and then in the distant future should be "allowed" to play for a title if you happen to go undefeated again.

That is because UofL has limited history in college football. The only reason UofL isn't being slammed anymore than they already are is because they are 64-19 this decade, and people have seen them with 11 wins twice this decade prior to this year. That helps, even if the same people think most of the wins were over weak teams.

Realizing that everything I said in the 1st paragraph about UofL also applies to Rutgers, take away what UofL has gained this decade with an impressive record. That is why Rutgers faces that, fairness aside. John Saunders said it on the Sports Reporters on Sunday morning. Rutgers was given no chance at the title before the first game was played, when they had 2 votes in the Coaches Polls (46th place). UofL was given a chance by starting 13th.

Basically many think UofL hasn't put in enough "sweat equity" to deserve a chance at this point. Those same people think Rutgers has put in even less, despite their longer BCS status.
11-07-2006 12:43 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

CollegeCard Wrote:It's a matter of perception. Many on their high horse feel UofL hasn't "earned the right" to play for a national championship at this point in their program. They view it as if the program needs to hit certain levels as you rise up a chain and then in the distant future should be "allowed" to play for a title if you happen to go undefeated again.

That is because UofL has limited history in college football. The only reason UofL isn't being slammed anymore than they already are is because they are 64-19 this decade, and people have seen them with 11 wins twice this decade prior to this year. That helps, even if the same people think most of the wins were over weak teams.

Realizing that everything I said in the 1st paragraph about UofL also applies to Rutgers, take away what UofL has gained this decade with an impressive record. That is why Rutgers faces that, fairness aside. John Saunders said it on the Sports Reporters on Sunday morning. Rutgers was given no chance at the title before the first game was played, when they had 2 votes in the Coaches Polls (46th place). UofL was given a chance by starting 13th.

Basically many think UofL hasn't put in enough "sweat equity" to deserve a chance at this point. Those same people think Rutgers has put in even less, despite their longer BCS status.

Yea it definitely sucks to have people think that we haven't earned the right to play for a national championship. We earned that right a long time ago. We've been through alot more than any of the so-called elite. We started this whole crazy thing 137 years ago yesterday and we might not have a winning tradition yet. But you better believe we're going to become the absolute juggernaut we were always destined to be. But we came from nothing and we don't forget where we came from and we earned it with every lopsided loss, every backhanded compliment and dis in the media, every joke by every college football fan, and the undying loyalty of our fans who sat in monsoons, blizzards, and everything else often just to watch us lose. Screw the good ol boys network, we are the birthplace of college football.
11-07-2006 05:53 AM
OSUofL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Rutgers a ratings nightmare, This guy is reaching.
11-07-2006 06:05 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators

OSUofL Wrote:Rutgers a ratings nightmare, This guy is reaching.

I was so angry about the other stuff, I forgot to mention this as well. He's definitely reaching. In the last couple of years, ESPN/ABC has been putting us on more and more as our ratings nationally and especially Philly and New York continue to increase dramatically. We also brought 10K to Phoenix last winter when few expected a bowl game and therefore weren't budgeted for it. (I being the homer and believer I am did plan on it so last summer while working squirreled away enough money.)
11-07-2006 06:10 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

I believe most people cite Rutgers' light OOC schedule as a reason for being undeserving, not their lack of tradition. Not their fault really. NC usually has a somewhat decent team, and Illinois has been OK up until the past couple years.
11-07-2006 08:08 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

OSUofL Wrote:Rutgers a ratings nightmare

On the contrary, I think it would be a ratings bonanza. Everyone will be watching to see Rutgers or Louisville can "upset" the team they play.
11-07-2006 08:11 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
rutgers invented this game
I believe the guy who wrote this article was a waterboy at Florida State for five years. Yes, they redshirt their waterboys, just joking. But he is an ACC hack, so his perspective on Rutgers and the Big East would be skewed by what happened a few years ago. He can't be enjoying this season.

If, just if, Rutgers beats Louisville and the critics start talking this stupid junk, Greg Schiano and his team should come back like "We invented this game and now it's our turn to have a shot at the title if we finish 12-0 whether you other yammering smucks like it or no. You don't like it? Too bad!"
11-07-2006 08:17 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Best hope for Rutgers this year...really impacts next year.

Rutgers can make a BCS Bowl Game this year (maybe not the Champ Game...but a top bowl never-the-less).

If they continue to play well...guess where Rutgers will be ranked come next August?

That's right...IN the polls...IN the Top 25...and probably in the Top 15 (maybe even Top 10).

If you can start out HIGH in the polls, you have a much easier chance at making it to the title game...vs a team that wasn't ranked at all.

Even though 2006 is a magical year for Rutgers right now...the REAL magic may come in 2007 (BCS Champ Game Bowl spot!).

KL
11-07-2006 10:44 AM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

Personally, I'd love to see a Rutgers vs. Ohio State/Michigan matchup for all the marbles, if indeed the Scarlet Knights were to win out. It would definitely be a HUGE ratings draw.
11-07-2006 12:08 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

MongoSlade Wrote:Personally, I'd love to see a Rutgers vs. Ohio State/Michigan matchup for all the marbles, if indeed the Scarlet Knights were to win out. It would definitely be a HUGE ratings draw.

Mongo... What are you smoking.

What we really want to see is Michigan, Ohio State, Louisville, and Texas lose.

We want the BCS to be forced to have Rutgers and Boise State play for the national championship.

That would wake up the debate for a playoff.
11-07-2006 05:38 PM
njndirish Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame

chess Wrote:What we really want to see is Michigan, Ohio State, Louisville, and Texas lose.

We want the BCS to be forced to have Rutgers and Boise State play for the national championship.

That would make the BCS computer explode
11-07-2006 06:40 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

winning a BCS championship is hard to do in one year. Especially for a pre-season unranked team. Winning a BCS championship usually takes a couple years.
11-07-2006 07:50 PM
Advertisement

cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

I wrote this yesterday and forgot to submit it...so this point may have already been made.

I think Rutgers would most certainly deserve a shot at the national championship if they ran the table. I think they would be a rating bonaza bringing in the Northeast and a certain amount of curiousity from the remainder of the nation. The problem is the national championship game is between the first and second ranked teams in the BCS so it doesn't matter what this jerk or any of us think. Rutgers started the year outside the polls and I really don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell they will make up enough ground over the next four weeks to reach #2 in the BCS rankings.
11-08-2006 10:24 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators

cardtopper Wrote:I wrote this yesterday and forgot to submit it...so this point may have already been made.

I think Rutgers would most certainly deserve a shot at the national championship if they ran the table. I think they would be a rating bonaza bringing in the Northeast and a certain amount of curiousity from the remainder of the nation. The problem is the national championship game is between the first and second ranked teams in the BCS so it doesn't matter what this jerk or any of us think. Rutgers started the year outside the polls and I really don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell they will make up enough ground over the next four weeks to reach #2 in the BCS rankings.

I'm a Mets fan remember as well as a Rutgers fan. And being a Mets fan is probably the only thing thats equivalent to being a Rutgers fan to me. My Pats and my Devils come close however. If its one thing that being a Mets fan has taught me, its Tug McGraw's "Ya Gotta Believe!". I have believed since my first football game as a Freshman that sooner rather than later, when but certainly not if, Rutgers would win a national championship.
11-08-2006 10:34 AM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

brista21 Wrote:
cardtopper Wrote:I wrote this yesterday and forgot to submit it...so this point may have already been made.

I'm a Mets fan remember as well as a Rutgers fan. And being a Mets fan is probably the only thing thats equivalent to being a Rutgers fan to me. My Pats and my Devils come close however. If its one thing that being a Mets fan has taught me, its Tug McGraw's "Ya Gotta Believe!". I have believed since my first football game as a Freshman that sooner rather than later, when but certainly not if, Rutgers would win a national championship.

The little engine that could? If they beat Louisville, I'll be in their corner as well. I've predicted all year they would beat Louisville but I'm still pulling for my cards.
11-08-2006 10:41 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

chess Wrote:
MongoSlade Wrote:Personally, I'd love to see a Rutgers vs. Ohio State/Michigan matchup for all the marbles, if indeed the Scarlet Knights were to win out. It would definitely be a HUGE ratings draw.

Whatever it is I'm smoking, I want as much as possible -- Gimme Rutgers vs. Ohio State/Micihgan.
11-08-2006 12:40 PM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

MongoSlade Wrote:
chess Wrote:

Whatever it is I'm smoking, I want as much as possible -- Gimme Rutgers vs. Ohio State/Micihgan.

As a Rutgers alumni I agree. :iagree: 04-high5
11-08-2006 01:40 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
only reason rutgers is ranked so low
After last week's game, the pollsters moved undefeated Louisville into formerly unbeaten West Virginia's #3 spot. Who's to say that after this week's game, the pollsters can't move an undefeated Rutgers into a formerly unbeaten Louisville's spot?

The only reason Rutgers is ranked so low is because they started the year unranked, and the pollsters don't want to believe that they are for real. How would they be voting if it were Kentucky or Indiana or Duke or Baylor in this situation instead?
11-09-2006 06:39 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

Unfortunately, Rutgers will never move into Louisville's spot - even if they win tonight's game. The system is setup to prevent teams like Rutgers from gaining that much ground, even if they deserve to.
11-09-2006 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.