Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
OT: Ticket sales low for ACC title game
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
OT: Ticket sales low for ACC title game
Ticket sales low for ACC

Approximately 13,000 seats are available for Dec. 2 title game, worrying officials.

By GARRY SMITS, The Times-Union

Local ticket sales for the Dec. 2 Atlantic Coast Conference championship football game at Alltel Stadium are lagging so much that Gator Bowl Association president Rick Catlett said it's possible the league might not renew an option to bring the game back to Jacksonville for 2008 and 2009.

"We need local sales to pick up to ensure the game stays in Jacksonville," Catlett said Tuesday. "The current level of sales may not ensure that."

Catlett termed the estimated local sales of 36,000 tickets as "surprising" in comparison to last year's game between Florida State and Virginia Tech, when 72,249 fans watched the Seminoles win the first ACC title game.

Counting guarantees of 10,000 tickets for each team and 4,000 for the league office, the current number of tickets sold or guaranteed is around 60,000. That's 13,000 short of stadium capacity.

Coastal Division champion Georgia Tech already has clinched a spot in the game, which will be at 1 p.m. and televised on ABC.

With one weekend left in the ACC season, Wake Forest, Maryland and Boston College are tied for the Atlantic Division lead with 5-2 records. Boston College plays at Miami on Thursday night, and Wake Forest plays at Maryland on Saturday.

Catlett said Georgia Tech has so far generated ticket sales of around 14,000, easily surpassing its guarantee.

"We hope that whoever plays Georgia Tech will have the same level of enthusiasm," Catlett said. "Unfortunately, by the time someone clinches, there will only be a week left to the game."

Before the season began, ACC commissioner John Swofford said a sellout - or a crowd close to the one that watched last year's FSU-Virginia Tech game - would ensure that the title contest returned to Jacksonville for another two years. Catlett said the final figure would have to approach 70,000 before he felt comfortable that the ACC would keep the game at Alltel Stadium.

"I don't think the league is going to have the confidence to bring the game back unless the community starts buying tickets in a hurry," Catlett said.

Swofford repeated his stance that if the game is a sellout, or "close," it likely will remain in Jacksonville in future years.

"The closer were are to a sellout, the easier that decision is," Swofford said. "We will evaluate all aspects of the game's first two years. I know a year ago we were pleased with the overall management of the game and the reception the city gave the two teams and the ACC."

Swofford said if the game was well short of a sellout, the decision on whether to renew the option or move the game will be made sometime after the first of the year.

"I won't put a timetable on it, but if there are things to discuss, we would make a decision very soon," he said.

Catlett conceded that having the Seminoles in the first ACC championship game sparked local sales to within an eyelash of a sellout. But in experiencing down seasons, FSU and Miami, the ACC's other marquee team, were out of contention for a division title weeks ago.

"The community was enthusiastic about FSU in the game, and Virginia Tech's fans supported it, as usual," Catlett said. "But what FSU and Miami fans in this area have to realize is that they need to support this game every year. Otherwise, the next time their team plays in the game, they're might have to buy a ticket in another city."

Swofford said the ACC is looking for support within the host city, no matter what the matchup is.

"If there's a local team, that would generally be better [for the host city]," he said. "What we want to do is generate a situation where the game is healthy, no matter who is playing in it."

Gator Bowl officials are having fewer problems for their Jan. 1 game at Alltel Stadium. Catlett said around 60,000 tickets have been sold (counting the team guarantees of 12,750) with more than five weeks left before the game is played.

The Gator Bowl continues to covet a matchup between Oklahoma and Clemson, under a new arrangement that allows the selection committee to pick a Big 12 or Big East representative to face an ACC team.

The Gator Bowl also could select West Virginia at 11-1 if the Mountaineers beat Rutgers on Dec. 2. If that happens, Louisville would be the Big East's BCS representative by virtue of a head-to-head victory over West Virginia to break a tie in the conference standings.

garry.smits@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4362
11-22-2006 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

60,000 plus already sold...that's not bad...especially with the non-FLA teams challenging for the top spot.

Isn't 60,000 a larger number than any Big East Football Stadium can hold? Maybe all of them except WVU?

If the Big East could draw 50,000-60,000 to their Champ Game (if held), that would be considered a HUGE success (especially since the Conf only averages around 39,000 per game...with special THANKS to WVU for helping that average!)
11-22-2006 09:47 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

The folks who manage the Gator Bowl, ACCCG and Alltel Stadium want the game to return every year, but Swofford and co said that would only be (just about) guaranteed IF the first two games played there did near sell outs. Conventional wisdom had the game being played in Charlotte, closer to more of the universities even if a tad (sic) cooler in December, and the folks at BOA Stadium would love to host the game. Jacksonville was chosen, however, because it's more touristy to some and the ACC is trying to deepen their presence in Florida.

Problem is Jacksonville isn't the easiest locale to reach as flights aren't as common or cheap as popular destinations like Miami or Orlando. Plus it will take some time before the league can make a dent in a discernably SEC (UF, UGA) market.

Once the other participant in the game is made known I'm sure more folks will buy in. I hate to say it but most fringe fans are perhaps pulling for the "bigger" schools of Maryland or BC to pull this one out. I can certainly see why fans of those schools are also waiting to decide whether or not to buy tickets. Which remains a small matter. Even at 60,000 the game will profit.
11-22-2006 09:57 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

KnightLight Wrote:60,000 plus already sold...that's not bad...especially with the non-FLA teams challenging for the top spot.

Isn't 60,000 a larger number than any Big East Football Stadium can hold? Maybe all of them except WVU?

If the Big East could draw 50,000-60,000 to their Champ Game (if held), that would be considered a HUGE success (especially since the Conf only averages around 39,000 per game...with special THANKS to WVU for helping that average!)

I'm not going to assume you're flaming, but this comes off like it. At least, the "HUGE" part does, to me. Be careful there, Pot.
11-22-2006 09:59 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

If 60,000 is low then you are doing something right. They don't even know who's going to play yet. If Maryland or Wake are in it the game will be a hard sellout. If BC plays there will still be 65,000 or more fans. Not bad in my book.
11-22-2006 10:11 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

In todays Miami Herald the OB is talking about inviting either Louisville or West Virginia, expecting not many ACC fans from the ACC champ BC, WF or GT
11-22-2006 04:10 PM
Advertisement

njndirish Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame

Who wants to see Wake Forest-Ga Tech, I don't
11-22-2006 04:12 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

Cubanbull Wrote:In todays Miami Herald the OB is talking about inviting either Louisville or West Virginia, expecting not many ACC fans from the ACC champ BC, WF or GT

Here's the link, and I don't see ANY wording that suggests such concern. Unless you're referring to another article, Cubanbull, that's some real smooth spin you're shoveling.
11-22-2006 04:34 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Gunner
Dont get uptight i live in Miami and it has been discussed on the sports stations that the OB is NOT overjoyed about having WF, BC or GTech in their Bowl.
Wether you want to admit it or not, none of those schools are known for bringing many fans with them
11-22-2006 04:40 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

KnightLight Wrote:60,000 plus already sold...that's not bad...especially with the non-FLA teams challenging for the top spot.

I don't know why you even tried to compare this to the Big East. What you need to concentrate on is the fact that officials ARE NOT happy and that the ACC could lose their championship game home soon after getting the game.
11-22-2006 05:37 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

3601 Wrote:If 60,000 is low then you are doing something right. They don't even know who's going to play yet. If Maryland or Wake are in it the game will be a hard sellout. If BC plays there will still be 65,000 or more fans. Not bad in my book.

I think they're concerned that there could be a drop off in ticket sells compared to last year.
11-22-2006 05:38 PM
Advertisement

Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

njndirish, Wake Forest is a very entertaining team to watch. You have to admire the fact that they have had a great season despite losing their starting QB & # 1 running back very early in the season. On a given day, Wake could beat just about any team in the country, including Notre Dame. As far as GaTech goes, they have the best wideout in the country. I wouldn't mind watching that guy play.
11-22-2006 05:54 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

BC
They might be entertaining BUT they are NOT the name teams that The ACC or Jax were counting on to bring crowds and TV viewerships. I dont think they ever expected this type of match up in any of their sceneraios
11-22-2006 06:00 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Cubanbull Wrote:BC
They might be entertaining BUT they are NOT the name teams that The ACC or Jax were counting on to bring crowds and TV viewerships. I dont think they ever expected this type of match up in any of their sceneraios

Exactly. I doubt that the ACC scooped up Miami and Virginia Tech just so they could have Wake Forest vs Georgia Tech in the ACC championship game in a stadium that could potentially be 10,000 seats below capacity.
11-22-2006 06:05 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

GT's allotment sold out before it even went on sale to the public. Awaiting further ticket allotments to go on sale myself.

There will probably be easily over 25,000 GT fans... likely upwards of 30 to 35,000. Given that we STILL don't know who the Atlantic champion will be, ticket sales are just fine.

The image that GT doesn't travel well is a false one. We travel exceptionally well (if given a decent reason to ... far west bowls don't count), especially given the small size of GT. We set a record for attendance in the Peach and Gator bowls... and probably outnumbered Notre Dame fans 2 to 1 or worse at the '99 Gator Bowl (which was a record attendance at the time at that game).

And FWIW, the ACC-CG should be moved to Charlotte. It's more central for everybody involved, has a better venue, and the weather isn't that much colder than Jax.

Regarding the Orange Bowl... If GT reaches the Orange Bowl, we'll be there in good numbers as well. The reason the BE bid is almost certainly OB bound at this point is the simple fact of BCS pecking order. The Fiesta picks last... so they get the most undesirable bid... Boise State. The OB picks next to last... so they get the next most undesirable bid.... which will be the BE bid. Arkansas, Florida, ND, USC ... all more desirable than whoever the BE bid is ... or indeed most teams in the nation for that matter.
11-23-2006 11:33 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Oh boy. The ACC is probably regretting they didn't add West Virginia instead of Boston College right now.
11-23-2006 11:38 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Regarding the Orange Bowl... If GT reaches the Orange Bowl, we'll be there in good numbers as well. The reason the BE bid is almost certainly OB bound at this point is the simple fact of BCS pecking order. The Fiesta picks last... so they get the most undesirable bid... Boise State. The OB picks next to last... so they get the next most undesirable bid.... which will be the BE bid. Arkansas, Florida, ND, USC ... all more desirable than whoever the BE bid is ... or indeed most teams in the nation for that matter.

The most "undesireable" bid in the BCS this year will be the ACC champ - even Boise will be a better selection than the ACC champ.

And by the way, you are greatly (and I do mean greatly) overexaggerating how well GT will travel.

Cheers,
Neil
11-23-2006 11:44 PM

omnicarrier Wrote:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Regarding the Orange Bowl... If GT reaches the Orange Bowl, we'll be there in good numbers as well. The reason the BE bid is almost certainly OB bound at this point is the simple fact of BCS pecking order. The Fiesta picks last... so they get the most undesirable bid... Boise State. The OB picks next to last... so they get the next most undesirable bid.... which will be the BE bid. Arkansas, Florida, ND, USC ... all more desirable than whoever the BE bid is ... or indeed most teams in the nation for that matter.

The most "undesireable" bid in the BCS this year will be the ACC champ - even Boise will be a better selection than the ACC champ.

And by the way, you are greatly (and I do mean greatly) overexaggerating how well GT will travel.

Cheers,
Neil

No exaggeration. Look up the bowl attendance info for yourself. And the OB has an agreement with the ACC to send the ACC Champion there every year (if available). Similar to the Fiesta-Big12 and Sugar-SEC agreements. And Boise is easily the most undesirable.... get real.
11-23-2006 11:47 PM

David Krysakowski Wrote:Oh boy. The ACC is probably regretting they didn't add West Virginia instead of Boston College right now.

In a word: No.

WV is not a good fit for the ACC. Neither is BC, but at least they offer the Boston market.
11-23-2006 11:49 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:GT's allotment sold out before it even went on sale to the public. Awaiting further ticket allotments to go on sale myself.

There will probably be easily over 25,000 GT fans... likely upwards of 30 to 35,000. Given that we STILL don't know who the Atlantic champion will be, ticket sales are just fine.

The image that GT doesn't travel well is a false one. We travel exceptionally well (if given a decent reason to ... far west bowls don't count), especially given the small size of GT. We set a record for attendance in the Peach and Gator bowls... and probably outnumbered Notre Dame fans 2 to 1 or worse at the '99 Gator Bowl (which was a record attendance at the time at that game).

And FWIW, the ACC-CG should be moved to Charlotte. It's more central for everybody involved, has a better venue, and the weather isn't that much colder than Jax.

Regarding the Orange Bowl... If GT reaches the Orange Bowl, we'll be there in good numbers as well. The reason the BE bid is almost certainly OB bound at this point is the simple fact of BCS pecking order. The Fiesta picks last... so they get the most undesirable bid... Boise State. The OB picks next to last... so they get the next most undesirable bid.... which will be the BE bid. Arkansas, Florida, ND, USC ... all more desirable than whoever the BE bid is ... or indeed most teams in the nation for that matter.

The Big East is the 2nd most undesirable bid? Get that ACC crap out of here. You are an ACC homer, and I want to see West Virginia or Louisville kick Tech's butt in the Orange Bowl. It's the ACC that an embarrassment to the BCS this year, not the Big East. Yea, the country really is really waiting with baited breath to watch Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, or Maryland. Oh by the way, there is a good chance that the Big East gets 2 BCS bids this year. Your ACC crap really stinks.
11-23-2006 11:50 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.