Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
CUSA newbies not doing bad...
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
CUSA newbies not doing bad...
UC, UofL, and USF have really done a nice job (UofL was great last year) this year of getting right into the middle of it and making some noise...

I think we have shown that we belong and that we add value to the league and the best part....esp. for UC/USF, the best is yet to come (UofL is already playing at a high level).......

I know at least for UC, they have most of the team coming back next year and have been wooing some good recruits for next year as well.

I'm a proud member of the New BE!!!

GO UC, Go BE!!
11-26-2006 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

All the new members have done well of fitting in, inculding Depaul and MU. One has to give the BE office a ton of credit for picking "the right schools". The choice of USF especially is looking like a great move because at the time that was the one that was most questioned by the media and fans. Also some credit should go to Uconn who put together a new football program, staduim and fan base in a very short amount of time. They are going to be pretty good as well next yr

Jackson
11-26-2006 04:10 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU

I was nervous about this league in the aftermath of the raid but I am no longer concerned. I personally would rather see an all-sports league but not knowing the detailed finances of the matter I can not rightfully say that it is the way to go. Seems an all-sports league would be easier to manage, market and cater to members but I am no expert. And I really don't like the carpetbagger ND connection.

I am blindly biased but in my mind one of "the right schools" was not invited - Memphis.

Jackson - the loss yesterday hurts but perhaps it will make the Mountaineers stronger for the next two seasons. Maybe it will give us a marquee bowl match-up with the hated VT.
11-26-2006 04:39 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Jackson1011 Wrote:All the new members have done well of fitting in, inculding Depaul and MU. One has to give the BE office a ton of credit for picking "the right schools". The choice of USF especially is looking like a great move because at the time that was the one that was most questioned by the media and fans. Also some credit should go to Uconn who put together a new football program, staduim and fan base in a very short amount of time. They are going to be pretty good as well next yr

Jackson

I wouldn't include DePaul in that mix just yet.

I was all for Louisville and Cincinnati but had my doubts about South Florida. I now admit I was wrong about the Bulls. They will add a lot to the league. Tranghese was right about them.

The two bb schools were to satisfy the Catholic schools and to make the split easier in 2010. Don't think that split will take place in 2010, but look for it to happen now around 2012.

Still, Marquette has definitely been a great addition to basketball and DePaul does give us another foothold in the Chicago market.

If we can't get other BCS teams to consider jumping ship, I think in 2012 we split with ECU as #9.

Cheers,
Neil
11-26-2006 04:46 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Re: CUSA newbies not doing bad...
Bearcats#1 Wrote:UC, UofL, and USF have really done a nice job (UofL was great last year) this year of getting right into the middle of it and making some noise...

Just shows how much having those 3 little letters (B-C-S) can help with recruiting. (especially for UC and USF...as UL was already pretty strong program at time of invite).
11-26-2006 04:57 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

USF has reaped the biggest windfall from this. Their program is poised to take off. UCF must be green with envy.
11-26-2006 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.

Jackson1011 Wrote:Also some credit should go to Uconn who put together a new football program, staduim and fan base in a very short amount of time. They are going to be pretty good as well next yr

That should not be understated. They moved to the Big East a year ahead of schedule because of the realignment and could have stumbled out of the gate, but didn't.
11-26-2006 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Actually to be honest with you i think USF has just started to benefit from being in BE and BCS. Our recruiting while better hasnt exploded YET. A few more games like yesterday's and you guys will be shocked at what USF could become. Its only a matter of time and the clock is ticking.
11-26-2006 05:10 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

omnicarrier Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:All the new members have done well of fitting in, inculding Depaul and MU. One has to give the BE office a ton of credit for picking "the right schools". The choice of USF especially is looking like a great move because at the time that was the one that was most questioned by the media and fans. Also some credit should go to Uconn who put together a new football program, staduim and fan base in a very short amount of time. They are going to be pretty good as well next yr

Jackson

I was all for Louisville and Cincinnati but had my doubts about South Florida. I now admit I was wrong about the Bulls. They will add a lot to the league. Tranghese was right about them.

The two bb schools were to satisfy the Catholic schools and to make the split easier in 2010. Don't think that split will take place in 2010, but look for it to happen now around 2012.

Still, Marquette has definitely been a great addition to basketball and DePaul does give us another foothold in the Chicago market.

If we can't get other BCS teams to consider jumping ship, I think in 2012 we split with ECU as #9.

Cheers,
Neil

People need to listen to Tom Jurich. That man knows what he is talking about. Why do you think he was one of the biggest supporters of adding USF? South Florida does not have to leave the state of florida to get studs. They were already winning some games before they got the invite. What Leavitt is doing there is pretty remarkable and giving the limited resources he has compared to what Louisville, Cuse, UCONN, or WVU have its crazy. I look for USF and UC to have the most to gain from the BCS label. Louisville was already on its way to building something before we left CUSA. We are going head to head with the big boys in the SEC for recruits and winning some of those battles. To me USF and UC will benefit the most, because the Greater Cincy area has alot of studs and Dantonio should be able to keep some of those guys home. The more they win the more balanced our league gets. Like I said both of those teams are sitting in recruiting hot beds.
11-26-2006 06:07 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:If we can't get other BCS teams to consider jumping ship, I think in 2012 we split with ECU as #9.

-- Just out of curosity...but why did you think ECU will be added (not that I mind the idea)?

Jackson
11-26-2006 10:02 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:If we can't get other BCS teams to consider jumping ship, I think in 2012 we split with ECU as #9.

-- Just out of curosity...but why did you think ECU will be added (not that I mind the idea)?

Jackson

As you know, I am no supporter of the Pirates, but of the non-BCS programs I think they make the most sense.

They are demonstating their commitment to their athletics programs. They have a good fanbase. They secure the Tire Bowl. They allow the Big East to market to both North Carolina and Virginia.

Cheers,
Neil
11-26-2006 10:13 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

kardphan Wrote:
omnicarrier Wrote:

Jackson

Cheers,
Neil

People need to listen to Tom Jurich. That man knows what he is talking about. Why do you think he was one of the biggest supporters of adding USF? South Florida does not have to leave the state of florida to get studs. They were already winning some games before they got the invite. What Leavitt is doing there is pretty remarkable and giving the limited resources he has compared to what Louisville, Cuse, UCONN, or WVU have its crazy. I look for USF and UC to have the most to gain from the BCS label. Louisville was already on its way to building something before we left CUSA. We are going head to head with the big boys in the SEC for recruits and winning some of those battles. To me USF and UC will benefit the most, because the Greater Cincy area has alot of studs and Dantonio should be able to keep some of those guys home. The more they win the more balanced our league gets. Like I said both of those teams are sitting in recruiting hot beds.

I'm glad Jurich also saw USF's potential, but he had little or nothing to do with them being invited to the Big East.

Tranghese was targeting USF before the ACC raid even occurred. He was impressed with their win over Pitt in 2001 and coveted the Tampa market. He was also saw them as a natural rivalry with Miami.

Had he had his way, the BE would have expanded to 16 with Louisville and USF. He hoped USF would be a good traveling partner for Miami and help secure them in the league while he wanted to develop a rivalry between Louisville and VT in football.

Those additions would have given the league 10 football schools and 6 basketball schools.

Shalala wanted a 12-team all-sports conference, something Mikey T couldn't accomplish since he represents ALL Big East teams, not just the football schools. When BC bolted, it was Mikey T that pushed for USF and got them on board within a week and a half time frame.

Cheers,
Neil
11-26-2006 10:24 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI

omnicarrier Wrote:Tranghese was targeting USF before the ACC raid even occurred. He was impressed with their win over Pitt in 2001 and coveted the Tampa market. He was also saw them as a natural rivalry with Miami.

Had he had his way, the BE would have expanded to 16 with Louisville and USF. He hoped USF would be a good traveling partner for Miami and help secure them in the league while he wanted to develop a rivalry between Louisville and VT in football.

Those additions would have given the league 10 football schools and 6 basketball schools.

Shalala wanted a 12-team all-sports conference, something Mikey T couldn't accomplish since he represents ALL Big East teams, not just the football schools. When BC bolted, it was Mikey T that pushed for USF and got them on board within a week and a half time frame.

Cheers,
Neil

I have finally caught up reading the board after my extended break and watching Pitt lose its finaly three games. 03-hissyfit

Interesting points here Omni. I had read a quote Tranghese that Miami was not really interested in being aligned with USF. I'm not sure if that was because USF was a tier 4 school or they were worried USF would start to take away recruits if Miami ever slipped in FB.
11-28-2006 09:03 AM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC

Jackson
Agreed!!!!!!!Go UConn...................
11-29-2006 09:41 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Re: CUSA newbies not doing bad...
KnightLight Wrote:
Bearcats#1 Wrote:UC, UofL, and USF have really done a nice job (UofL was great last year) this year of getting right into the middle of it and making some noise...

Just shows how much having those 3 little letters (B-C-S) can help with recruiting. (especially for UC and USF...as UL was already pretty strong program at time of invite).

It also helps to have a coaching staff and administration with realistic goals. UCF tried to buy their way into the "bigtime" and to date all you have is 10-24 record with your new 'name' coach and a potential financial disaster if the program's growth on the field doesn't match your growth in expenses.

It may work for UCF, but you have a lot to lose if it doesn't. We both know that the clock is ticking...
11-29-2006 09:47 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

bitcruncher Wrote:USF has reaped the biggest windfall from this. Their program is poised to take off. UCF must be green with envy.

USF was doing a decent job before the Big East in developing a solid program and winning games. However, Big East membership accelerated the growth process 10-fold. USF has yet to really show what the Big East has done for the program b/c many of the young players playing right now were recruited before we played one down of Big East football.

The future of the program and every other BE school is when recruiting a 4-star recruit is no longer a big deal. UL is close to being at that level, with PITT close behind. The rest of us are still not there...and that goes for both the BE old guard and newbies.

UCF....is finally figuring out that USF has known what it was doing since day one. I still laugh at all those light years behind references from just 5 years ago. lmfao
11-29-2006 09:52 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

omnicarrier Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

As you know, I am no supporter of the Pirates, but of the non-BCS programs I think they make the most sense.

They are demonstating their commitment to their athletics programs. They have a good fanbase. They secure the Tire Bowl. They allow the Big East to market to both North Carolina and Virginia.

Cheers,
Neil

I'll vote for ECU for a couple of reasons:

1. Most Big East teams have a history with ECU. Syracuse, WVU, UL, USF, UC have a long history with the Pirates. There are some dormant rivalries that can be easily awoken if they became BE#9

2. They havea solid fan base. During the dark days of John Thompson they still averaged close to 30K. Actually their demise started with Princess Bower....but they still drew good crowds.

3. A good ECU team would give the BE another presence along the Eastern Seaboard.

4. ECU could be the best school in North Carolina. So what? Well when 25% of the ACC's teams are quartered in North Carolina that is a big blow to the ACC and a majore boost for a league the BE needs jump over for respect.

5. East Carolina is home to the world's best BBQ.....hands down. Love that spicy, vinegary BBQ.

6. USF is 3-0 against the Pirates all-time and with the emergence of the BigEast, the Bulls need an easy win ;^)
11-29-2006 10:04 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.