Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"ESPN3/MAC Digital Network" VS. "ESPN/SEC Cable Network"
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
This is what bothers me about the MAC deal. In many ways it is a mirror of the "ESPN/SEC Cable Network" - we'll call it the "ESPN3/MAC Digital Network".

- ESPN/SEC controls the entirety of the SEC
- ESPN/MAC controls the entirety of the MAC

- SEC has a dedicated ESPN sponsored channel on cable
- MAC has a dedicated ESPN sponsored channel on WatchESPN

- Cable companies pay carriage fees for SEC Network
- Internet providers pay carriage fees for ESPN3 where WatchESPN hosts the MAC Digital Network

- SEC is required to invest millions for on-campus studios for high-quality self-production to feed ESPN
- MAC is now required to invest million for on-campus studios for high-quality self-production to feed ESPN3

- SEC has unlimited upside in revenue that can grow with increased distribution and carriage fees and holds equity in the Network
- MAC gets a FIXED PAYMENT and NO UPSIDE in the WatchESPN Digital Version of the ESPN3 MAC Network

ESPN is making the MAC share in the investment and risks associated with starting this new studios to feed content produced by the MAC at the MAC's expense but is not sharing the potential revenue rewards with the MAC.

Recent articles show that the SEC schools invested between $2 million to $5 million a piece for their ESPN quality studios and the MAC will have to do the same except our payment is fixed at $700,000 per year.

It will take 4 of the 13 years of re-investing that $700,000 to pay for the new equipment required to feed ESPN not to mention staffing. Why couldn't the MAC asked to share in the ESPN3 carriage fees for this new "Digital Network"

WatchESPN could easily ask for modest carriage fees separated out from their existing ESPN3 carriage fees they charge the ISPs for access to ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the MAC could share in the revenue as Digital Rights and ESPN3 grows on the upside. Internet TV and viewing is in its very beginning at will grow dramatically over the next 13-years and the 15 new Digital Conference Networks on WatchESPN are the pre-cursor to this. Just substitute "cable company" with "internet company" and "ESPN" distribution and carriage fees with "ESPN3" distribution and carriage fees and "Cable Network" with "Digital Network".

You want access to the MAC Digital Network on WatchESPN? sign up with an ISP that offers this Network or buy the subscription package that carries it as the "Sport Pack".

The MAC completely Whiffed on this opportunity and will have to live with it for the next 13 YEARS !

MAC also made silly negotiations and contracts with Temple and UMass and got used by them too.

AAC, Sun-Belt, and C-USA - don't make the same mistake in your TV contract negotiations.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 05:51 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-19-2014 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: "ESPN3/MAC Digital Network" VS. "ESPN/SEC Cable Network"
(08-19-2014 05:24 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  This is what bothers me about the MAC deal. In many ways it is a mirror of the "ESPN/SEC Cable Network" - we'll call it the "ESPN3/MAC Digital Network".

- ESPN/SEC controls the entirety of the SEC
- ESPN/MAC controls the entirety of the MAC

- SEC has a dedicated ESPN sponsored channel on cable
- MAC has a dedicated ESPN sponsored channel on WatchESPN

- Cable companies pay carriage fees for SEC Network
- Internet providers pay carriage fees for ESPN3 where WatchESPN hosts the MAC Digital Network

- SEC is required to invest millions for on-campus studios for high-quality self-production to feed ESPN
- MAC is now required to invest million for on-campus studios for high-quality self-production to feed ESPN3

- SEC has unlimited upside in revenue that can grow with increased distribution and carriage fees and holds equity in the Network
- MAC gets a FIXED PAYMENT and NO UPSIDE in the WatchESPN Digital Version of the ESPN3 MAC Network

ESPN is making the MAC share in the investment and risks associated with starting this new studios to feed content produced by the MAC at the MAC's expense but is not sharing the potential revenue rewards with the MAC.

Recent articles show that the SEC schools invested between $2 million to $5 million a piece for their ESPN quality studios and the MAC will have to do the same except our payment is fixed at $700,000 per year.

It will take 4 of the 13 years of re-investing that $700,000 to pay for the new equipment required to feed ESPN not to mention staffing. Why couldn't the MAC asked to share in the ESPN3 carriage fees for this new "Digital Network"

WatchESPN could easily ask for modest carriage fees separated out from their existing ESPN3 carriage fees they charge the ISPs for access to ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the MAC could share in the revenue as Digital Rights and ESPN3 grows on the upside. Internet TV and viewing is in its very beginning at will grow dramatically over the next 13-years and the 15 new Digital Conference Networks on WatchESPN are the pre-cursor to this. Just substitute "cable company" with "internet company" and "ESPN" distribution and carriage fees with "ESPN3" distribution and carriage fees and "Cable Network" with "Digital Network".

You want access to the MAC Digital Network on WatchESPN? sign up with an ISP that offers this Network or buy the subscription package that carries it as the "Sport Pack".

The MAC completely Whiffed on this opportunity and will have to live with it for the next 13 YEARS !

MAC also made silly negotiations and contracts with Temple and UMass.

AAC, Sun-Belt, and C-USA - don't make the same mistake in your TV contract negotiations.

I have said for a while that if ArkStfan is correct and ESPN wants to use G5 content to drive ESPN-3 carriage rates---the G5 don't really need ESPN to do that. A G5-Digital Network could do all that and probably result in more value, better coverage, and better treatment--than ESPN will ever give them. If you could get the to coperativelu build a G5 digital network along with an actual cable network, the G5 could likely do VERY well.

The G5 could continue to sell first tier rights packages to major networks and house all the other second and third tier content on their own G5-network or on the digital network. That would maintain most of the current network income while creating a much more lucrative model to monetize the rest of the G5 content that the networks are not willing to pay anything for. That's a ton of programming and a ton of content to keep people demanding their internet carrier to make sure they have access to.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 05:46 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2014 05:43 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-19-2014 05:24 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  It will take 4 of the 13 years of re-investing that $700,000 to pay for the new equipment required to feed ESPN not to mention staffing. Why couldn't the MAC asked to share in the ESPN3 carriage fees for this new "Digital Network"

They very well may have asked. But ESPN very well could have said "no". And if the MAC didn't have a better offer, they would have signed up with ESPN anyway.
08-19-2014 06:23 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Did you say that espn should ask for a carriage fee above and beyond what they get now so the ISP's can get MAC games? They can't even do that for SEC games. Plus, espn has a lot of ground to make up to ISP's after they split off watchESPN and took away the most important value that espn3 offered when it was launched and got the ISP's to pay for. If they went half and asked for more money, because of this deal, they'd be laughed at.
08-19-2014 06:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If Fox Sports Go had started a year sooner, perhaps the MAC could move to Fox Sports Net and be "nearly national" like C-USA is now on cable, and Fox could use Go to show more games online. Fox Sports 1 & 2 could be in play as well. The SEC left behind a lot of inventory on FSN, and I feel the ACC may be about to do the same when it starts a network.
08-19-2014 08:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(08-19-2014 06:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 05:24 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  It will take 4 of the 13 years of re-investing that $700,000 to pay for the new equipment required to feed ESPN not to mention staffing. Why couldn't the MAC asked to share in the ESPN3 carriage fees for this new "Digital Network"

They very well may have asked. But ESPN very well could have said "no". And if the MAC didn't have a better offer, they would have signed up with ESPN anyway.

The MAC reopened their TV deal with ESPN during a look-in. Other networks were not permitted to bid.
08-19-2014 08:24 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(08-19-2014 08:24 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The MAC reopened their TV deal with ESPN during a look-in. Other networks were not permitted to bid.

The MAC should have played out the remainder of their contract, and looked into other options. ESPN3 will not market the MAC to a national audience. I think the creation of conference networks like the SEC, PAC12, and Big10, will open up Saturday time slots on Fox Sports, and CBS Sports.
08-19-2014 08:36 PM
Attackcoog Online

(08-19-2014 08:36 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

The MAC should have played out the remainder of their contract, and looked into other options. ESPN3 will not market the MAC to a national audience. I think the creation of conference networks like the SEC, PAC12, and Big10, will open up Saturday time slots on Fox Sports, and CBS Sports.

Moving content to those networks will also be opening a lot of slots on ESPN. In fact, these new conference networks should effect ESPN most of all. ESPN owns half or more of every P5 conference--and they have 4 ESPN branded cable networks to fill along with selected slots on ABC.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 08:47 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2014 08:46 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(08-19-2014 08:46 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 08:36 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

Moving content to those networks will also be opening a lot of slots on ESPN. In fact, these new conference networks should effect ESPN most of all. ESPN owns half or more of every P5 conference--and they have 4 ESPN branded cable networks to fill along with selected slots on ABC.

I heard ESPN Classic was going away. I don't really see new opening on the ESPN networks. I think they will still feature P5s in those games, and use them to market these new subscription conference networks. I believe the MAC and Sun Belt will continue to see a few weekday ESPN games, and mostly Saturday conference game on ESPN3. I think most Saturday time slots not featuring P5s will likely go to the AAC. Unless the MAC received an obscene amount of money from ESPN, or an agreement for a majority of their games to air on the ESPN channels (not ESPN3), I think they got hosed in this deal.
08-19-2014 09:12 PM
All American

(08-19-2014 09:42 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  I am curious to know what happened to the MAC ESPN Regional Game of the Week package. This was the regionally syndicated package that ran on Saturday during September and October when the midweek slate opened. Is it fair to assume these will just be ESPN3 games now? Or will they sell these to another broadcaster or move them to ESPNews? That was a nice little package in my opinion as it got weekend league games on in I think upwards of 20 or 30 markets.

They are gone, ESPN doesn't want any sports on free OTA antenna TV. It threatens their pay-TV model of charging obscene prices. ESPN3's function is to merely soak all that up. They have completely abandoned ESPN Regional and all syndication. Big 12, Big East/AAC, SEC, now MAC all gone of the OTA airwaves. If you want to watch sports, it has to go through them. CBS Sports is the pawn in all this siphoning away whatever content ESPN can't physically put on their channels and getting it basically for free from ESPN who keeps control. I am rooting for Sinclair's ASN.

This is also why I think CUSA is in for rocky times during their negotiation.

The current CUSA contract has $7 million coming from CBS's old contract that they will no longer bid on CUSA. CBS has been phasing out CUSA games steadily and why wouldn't they when they can get leftovers from ESPN dirt cheap. There goes half of CUSA's money unless Fox doubles-down. I wouldn't be surprised if after this season CBs drops the 7 games left they are broadcasting at $7 million now for CUSA and replaces them with 7 MAC games they get for basically free.

Its a 2 horse race in college athletics between Fox and ESPN. CBS is happy with cheap scraps and NBC has went a different route and is loaded down with MLS, Premier League Soccer, and NASCAR during football season and loaded to the gunnels with NHL during basketball season.

CUSA will take whatever Fox offers by no other choice.
08-19-2014 09:59 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: "ESPN3/MAC Digital Network" VS. "ESPN/SEC Cable Network"

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-19-2014 10:09 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(08-19-2014 09:59 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  They have completely abandoned ESPN Regional and all syndication. Big 12, Big East/AAC, SEC, now MAC all gone of the OTA airwaves.

The ACC is still syndicated to OTA stations via ESPN Plus (ESPN Regional).
08-20-2014 09:20 AM
All American

(08-20-2014 09:20 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 09:59 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  They have completely abandoned ESPN Regional and all syndication. Big 12, Big East/AAC, SEC, now MAC all gone of the OTA airwaves.

The ACC is still syndicated to OTA stations via ESPN Plus (ESPN Regional).

Wont for long
08-20-2014 09:24 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
(08-19-2014 09:59 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  CUSA will take whatever Fox offers by no other choice.

I think you are right about the network CUSA will eventually agree with but that doesn't mean the deal will be a disappointment. ESPN will bid if for no other reason than to run up the price on their competition. They can't offer CUSA the exposure (since they have many other properties vying for similar time slots) but they can offer $$$.

Whatever network CUSA gets the best offer from I hope CUSA doesn't sign a deal longer much longer than 5 years.
08-20-2014 10:08 AM
Attackcoog Online

(08-20-2014 10:08 AM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 09:59 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  CUSA will take whatever Fox offers by no other choice.

I think you are right about the network CUSA will eventually agree with but that doesn't mean the deal will be a disappointment. ESPN will bid if for no other reason than to run up the price on their competition. They can't offer CUSA the exposure (since they have many other properties vying for similar time slots) but they can offer $$$.

Whatever network CUSA gets the best offer from I hope CUSA doesn't sign a deal longer much longer than 5 years.

I would think NBC-Sports would probably step up to buy the CUSA content currently controlled by CBS-Sports. That would be a good fit for NBC and would give NBC-Sports thier first FBS football conference (assuming they fail to get Big-10 football). That said, I doubt they pay much for those rights, NBC is notoriously cheap when not bidding for premier content.

Still, it won't be all bad for CUSA. Even if the value drops to half of the old 7 million dollar CBS-Sports deal, NBC-Sports would be available in 80 million homes, would have tons of open Saturday broadcast slots, and would have access to Comcast RSN broadcast slots as well. A deal with NBC-Sports, even with a low pay day, might mean that most all thier inventory would get televised. It probably would mean a significant increase in televised basketball games as well. Additionally, as NBC's only FBS conference, they would likely be treated very favorably on the network and might even receive a little cross platform advertising on the main broadcast network.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 10:38 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-20-2014 10:35 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

(08-20-2014 10:35 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I would think NBC-Sports would probably step up to buy the CUSA content currently controlled by CBS-Sports. That would be a good fit for NBC and would give NBC-Sports thier first FBS football conference (assuming they fail to get Big-10 football). That said, I doubt they pay much for those rights, NBC is notoriously cheap when not bidding for premier content.

Still, it won't be all bad for CUSA. Even if the value drops to half of the old 7 million dollar CBS-Sports deal, NBC-Sports would be available in 80 million homes, would have tons of open Saturday broadcast slots, and would have access to Comcast RSN broadcast slots as well. A deal with NBC-Sports, even with a low pay day, might mean that most all thier inventory would get televised. It probably would mean a significant increase in televised basketball games as well. Additionally, as NBC's only FBS conference, they would likely be treated very favorably on the network and might even receive a little cross platform advertising on the main broadcast network.

NBC-Sports could be an option as well. That is the point for CUSA's next TV deal--there should be multiple suitors and options. A modest bump, better exposure and multiple ways to view the content should be an attainable goal for CUSA.
08-20-2014 10:49 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-20-2014 10:49 AM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  NBC-Sports could be an option as well. That is the point for CUSA's next TV deal--there should be multiple suitors and options.
Though there were multiple suitors and options at the time of the last contract, with a conference alignment that was objectively worth more on a relative comparison.

If NBC goes back into that market, and CBS reverses their present course with CUSA coverage, then there might be as many or more suitors as last time, which would bode well for a contract bump. If NBC and CBS aren't interested, then it would require a substantial bump on the Fox contract just to stay even.
08-20-2014 03:35 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-20-2014 10:49 AM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 10:35 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

NBC-Sports could be an option as well. That is the point for CUSA's next TV deal--there should be multiple suitors and options. A modest bump, better exposure and multiple ways to view the content should be an attainable goal for CUSA.

Good luck with that. The Comcast/NBCSN track record (except for NFL and Olympics) is to bid low and acquire content at the lowest price possible. If there's another bidder involved, NBCSN won't participate in bidding up the price; they'll just walk away.
08-20-2014 04:31 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-20-2014 04:31 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Good luck with that. The Comcast/NBCSN track record (except for NFL and Olympics) is to bid low and acquire content at the lowest price possible. If there's another bidder involved, NBCSN won't participate in bidding up the price; they'll just walk away.
Yup, that's how the cycling Tour of California and, in Colorado, Pro Tour Challenge joins the NBCSN Tour de France coverage ... when NBC runs out of filler games to show, they add filler sports to make up the time. There's a substantial degree of infomercial to the NBCSN broadcasts of both of the top-end US cycling stage races, with AFAIR the advertising dominated by race sponsors, team sponsors and state tourism promotion.
08-20-2014 04:54 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

(08-20-2014 03:35 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 10:49 AM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  NBC-Sports could be an option as well. That is the point for CUSA's next TV deal--there should be multiple suitors and options.
Though there were multiple suitors and options at the time of the last contract, with a conference alignment that was objectively worth more on a relative comparison.

If NBC goes back into that market, and CBS reverses their present course with CUSA coverage, then there might be as many or more suitors as last time, which would bode well for a contract bump. If NBC and CBS aren't interested, then it would require a substantial bump on the Fox contract just to stay even.

I don't think CUSA last (read: current) TV deal is a failure. The situation has changed quite dramatically since the last contract was negotiated but not all the changes have been negative.

(08-20-2014 04:31 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Good luck with that. The Comcast/NBCSN track record (except for NFL and Olympics) is to bid low and acquire content at the lowest price possible. If there's another bidder involved, NBCSN won't participate in bidding up the price; they'll just walk away.

Sure but it is likely different networks will bring different appealing aspects to the table. NBC Sports will likely be able to offer CUSA more exposure than, for instance, ESPN in terms of games on actual cable TV since their inventory is lower than ESPN's for college football. But even though it is unlikely CUSA would sign with ESPN, ESPN may offer lots of money to either add to ESPN3 or simply raise the price on whoever eventually wins the rights.

But multiple bids allows CUSA to search out (or negotiate) a deal which ideally offers a combination of the best of both worlds. Even a hypothetical increase in money and exposure would still pale in comparison to any P5 team and will keep CUSA behind the AAC and likely the MWC.
08-20-2014 08:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.