Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Liberty well positioned for FBS ambitions" per USA Today
Bookmark and Share
Dukeman Online
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
There is a lengthy article in the USA Today covering the Liberty FBS initiative.

Tempus est etiam maiora conari
08-20-2014 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Cash is not a problem for liberty. Their perception amongst FBS conferences is. Still... They are doing a lot more than JMU to put themselves in position. We just aren't in a good spot right now.
08-20-2014 08:19 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
RE: "Liberty well positioned for FBS ambitions" per USA Today
Semper ubi sub ubi
08-20-2014 08:35 AM
EastCoastCoach Offline
Water Engineer

Once FBS conferences shake off the religious jitters, Liberty will be attractive to any non power 5 conference. People forget TCU, BYU, Baylor, and SMU went through similar biases, although it was a different era. The ghost of Falwell Sr. still haunts that place.
08-20-2014 08:49 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

How is liberty well positioned if they lack an invite? No league but the sun belt is a realistic option for them and after the recent rules changes, I don't see the sun belt needing to expand any further.
How much money you have from fake online degrees doesn't mean jack when you don't have a seat at the table.
08-20-2014 08:54 AM
EastCoastCoach Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2014 08:54 AM)Potomac Wrote:  How is liberty well positioned if they lack an invite? No league but the sun belt is a realistic option for them and after the recent rules changes, I don't see the sun belt needing to expand any further.
How much money you have from fake online degrees doesn't mean jack when you don't have a seat at the table.

So true, however one thing you underestimate is the almighty and Liberty had that on it's side. The almighty being the $$$$$. If LU begins a to bring in money similar to major football powerhouses, whether it is because of online degree money or drug money (lol), someone will take them in. It's only matter of time: trust me. Money talks and you know what walks.
08-20-2014 09:02 AM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2014 09:02 AM)EastCoastCoach Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 08:54 AM)Potomac Wrote:  How is liberty well positioned if they lack an invite? No league but the sun belt is a realistic option for them and after the recent rules changes, I don't see the sun belt needing to expand any further.

So true, however one thing you underestimate is the almighty and Liberty had that on it's side. The almighty being the $$$$$. If LU begins a to bring in money similar to major football powerhouses, whether it is because of online degree money or drug money (lol), someone will take them in. It's only matter of time: trust me. Money talks and you know what walks.

Yeah, they clearly bought this USA today article. Don't tell me someone chose to cover this without some bribe along the way.
08-20-2014 09:05 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2014 09:05 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Yeah, they clearly bought this USA today article. Don't tell me someone chose to cover this without some bribe along the way.

That was my first thought as well. Of all the schools to say are ready to move, they focus on a school that was already ready but got the stiff arm from the only conference that was willing to consider them. Their money is a huge plus for them, but their agenda is a huge minus, not to mention they haven't done anything at the FCS level.
If they were such a great school to get, why are they stuck in the Big South? They can't even upgrade in the FCS.
08-20-2014 09:28 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2014 08:19 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Cash is not a problem for liberty. Their perception amongst FBS conferences is. Still... They are doing a lot more than JMU to put themselves in position. We just aren't in a good spot right now.

We are in a better spot than anyone. I'm not sure what you're talking about with that comment. Financials are not what is holding us back. It would be more expensive for us to stay in FCS than go to FBS. If we don't move Bridgeforth will be empty in a couple of years. We also have the best program of any of the schools looking to move.
08-20-2014 09:30 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

Odu moved - it was about money and market. They had a very young program as did Charlotte. It's not about where you've been but where you're going
08-20-2014 09:32 AM
JMU Offline
All American

(08-20-2014 08:03 AM)Dukeman Wrote:  There is a lengthy article in the USA Today covering the Liberty FBS initiative.

Tempus est etiam maiora conari

Please see "Newest Conference Rumor" thread... nothing new here.
08-20-2014 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2014 09:32 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Odu moved - it was about money and market. They had a very young program as did Charlotte. It's not about where you've been but where you're going

And Lynchburg is a "market"? For what? And Liberty isn't going anywhere...although inside their delusional heads they are already the "Notre Dame of the South"
08-20-2014 09:38 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2014 09:32 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Odu moved - it was about money and market. They had a very young program as did Charlotte. It's not about where you've been but where you're going

The only thing liberty is good at is never making the playoffs. They're going nowhere.
This article is a desperate attempt by Falwell to get attention. Stubborn, he is.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 09:40 AM by Potomac.)
08-20-2014 09:39 AM
jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

Yeah let's keep telling ourselves that Liberty is not ready or a conference will never take them. And then poof, Liberty becomes FBS and we remain FCS. Then the JMU administration will be scurrying again to respond to the uproar.
08-20-2014 09:50 AM
2XDuke Offline
Water Engineer

(08-20-2014 09:50 AM)jmad1son Wrote:  Yeah let's keep telling ourselves that Liberty is not ready or a conference will never take them. And then poof, Liberty becomes FBS and we remain FCS. Then the JMU administration will be scurrying again to respond to the uproar.

Respond? That doesn't sounds like something I'd expect.
08-20-2014 09:56 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Because that is what Liberty wanted their Carr report to say. Worthless as the paper they're printed on.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 10:09 AM by olddawg.)
08-20-2014 10:08 AM
Advertisement

PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(08-20-2014 09:50 AM)jmad1son Wrote:  Yeah let's keep telling ourselves that Liberty is not ready or a conference will never take them. And then poof, Liberty becomes FBS and we remain FCS. Then the JMU administration will be scurrying again to respond to the uproar.

Yup. Would anyone on here actually put money on JMU moving up before Liberty? I know I wouldn't.
08-20-2014 10:32 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2014 10:32 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  

Yup. Would anyone on here actually put money on JMU moving up before Liberty? I know I wouldn't.

Yes, I would.
08-20-2014 10:49 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

(08-20-2014 10:32 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  

Neither would I. At this point, I would think the odds are probably in their favor.
08-20-2014 10:50 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I guess I'm thinking that based on the recruits we've been getting, there's some smoke and hopefully a fire. I just don't think we get those guys to give verbals this early if they're being told that we don't have anything in the works. Wishful thinking, I know. And, I know kids have been told that for a couple years now but this is more tangible than before. We never had this many commits this early that were pretty highly recruited with this many stars. I know, I know, rivals stars are overrated as a means of judging players but it's basically the metric that everyone uses so you have to at least acknowledge it to some extent.
08-20-2014 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.