I Root For: LOUISVILLE
Playoff proposal
1 through 4 byes
5 through 12 seeded
5vs12 winner plays #4 winner plays 1,8,9 winner Champions game
6vs11 winner plays #3 winner plays 2,7,10 winner
7vs10 winner plays #2
8vs9 winner plays #1

Eleven games for twelve teams. The top 4 receive a bye....add the Gator and the Capital one and add the next four biggest bowls for the first four games...let the lesser bowls bid to host four first round games.

Bowl 5vs12
Bowl 6vs11
Bowl 7vs10
Bowl 8vs9
Gator 4vs 5/12 winner
Capital One 3vs 6/11 winner
Cotten 2vs 7/10 winner
Fiesta 1vs8/9 winner
Orange 4,5,12 winner vs 1,8,9 winner
Sugar 3,6,11 winner vs 2,7,10 winner
Rose Championship game
Rotate each year...except the gator and capital one could never host the championship game. Other lesser bowls would be played as always.
Four games week 1
four games week 2
two games week 3
one game week 4
11-29-2006 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

How would you select the teams? What about all 1A conference champions?
11-29-2006 07:01 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

1- Ohio St. (B10)
16 - MTSU (SB)

8- Boise St. (WAC)
9- Arkansas (at large)

5- LSU (at large)
12- Oklahoma (B12)

4- Florida (SEC)
13- BYU (MWC)

3- Michigan (at large)
14- Ohio (MAC)

6- Louisville (BE)
11- Ga. Tech (ACC)

7- Wisconsin (at large)
10- Notre Shame (at large)

2- USC (P10)
15- S. Miss (C-USA)

You have the conference Champs plus at large bids. If you took the Top 16 BCS teams this is who got left out when you include Conf. Champs outside the BCS Top 16... Auburn, Rutgers, Va. Tech, WVU and Tennessee. They are all fairly competitive games as far as I can see. It's kind of like the #1 & 2 seeds have byes. Let all the teams not involved in the playoff go to other bowls that aren't included in the BCS playoff.
11-29-2006 07:24 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

works
11-29-2006 07:28 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

1) Start season earlier, really should be 11 games but good luck getting that
2) Conf champ games played on Thanks weekend
3) 8 team playoff with higher seeds getting home games
4) 7 bids go to conf champs, 1 bid goes to at large team
5) Play first 2 rounds, first 2 weeks of DEC on campus
6) Final 2 teams from playoff games, play in rotated bowl for title
7) Losers from playoff games get kicked into current bowl system

As for the 7 bids to conf champs and only 1 at-large, i like it because it makes the season have real value, don't win your league, your most likely not going to the playoffs. Ditto, the on campus playoffs which would add alot of interest + you can't expect fans to travel to multiple bowl sites. The problem is the 12 game regular season schedule, needs to be 11 again but this format is still workable at 12.
11-30-2006 12:31 PM
DIP WV Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia

Fans couldn't afford early rounds being played at neutral sites. Have it be like the NFL playoffs, all but the championship game are played at one teams home field. Have the bowls remain in tact as a sort of NIT for football.

Quote:start season earlier, really should be 11 games but good luck getting that
Not that it's gonna happen anyways, but every game they add to the regular season diminishes the chances of someday having a playoff. Why sacrifice the million + dollars you make on a 7th home game just for a playoff that you risk not even making in any given year?
11-30-2006 12:41 PM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

Quote:Fans couldn't afford early rounds being played at neutral sites. Have it be like the NFL playoffs, all but the championship game are played at one teams home field. Have the bowls remain in tact as a sort of NIT for football.

This is why you can
11-30-2006 12:51 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

If home team has a stadium with a seat capacity of less than 60k will it be play at the other team home?

No they wouldn't since teams would have earned the right to host home playoff games during the regular season, ie this year wake forest, small stadium, might host nebraska even though nebraska's stadium is much bigger but if wake had a higher seed, they get the game. Besides, the real $ would come from TV money not tickets.
11-30-2006 12:59 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL

Quote:Fans couldn't afford early rounds being played at neutral sites. Have it be like the NFL playoffs, all but the championship game are played at one teams home field. Have the bowls remain in tact as a sort of NIT for football.
I agree about the expense for fans having to travel from city to city, but I don't agree with home games for some teams, I don't agree with a 16 team playoff (too many; 8 would have to be the limit), and I don't like the idea of byes for any teams.

I just wish they would try some type of playoff as just a one-year experiment to at least see what happens; this is too big of an issue not to at least try it once (if it doesn't work, then go back to the old way).
11-30-2006 07:43 PM
GQPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I like Bluesox's plan but i would have the opening round of the 8 team tourney held at a single neutral site, mainly in domed stadiums/artificial turf. Have 2 games on saturday, 2 games on sunday....games starting at noon and 8pm. Fans would buy block tickets, giving them access to all four games (your money is gonna be made through tv revenue so the live gate won't be as important). I think this would generate a lot of excitement, much like opening weekend of the NCAA besketball tourney. The eight bids....six to the conference champs of the current bcs conferences, 1 bid to the highest rated champ from the CUSA, MWC, MAC and WAC, and the last bid going to an at large team.

What it would look like this year:

Ohio State vs Boise State
Wake Forest vs Michigan
Louisville vs USC
Florida Oklahoma
11-30-2006 09:42 PM
DIP WV Offline
2nd String

You can't have purely an 8 team playoff. You would have to at least keep the bowls or maybe multiple lesser tournaments being played on ESPNU or whatever. I don't think switching from 60 of 119 teams playing in the postseason down to 8 of 119 is going to fly.

You know who would hate it is the power conferences. Say you take only the conf. champs, do you think a school like Florida or Auburn would prefer going to the post season once every four years or so, or do you think they prefer going every year playing in New Years Day or BCS Bowls, as it currently is?

You'd have SEC powerhouses going to the playoffs with the same frequency as North Texas. That's not really fair.
11-30-2006 10:57 PM
Advertisement

GQPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

DIP WV Wrote:You can't have purely an 8 team playoff. You would have to at least keep the bowls or maybe multiple lesser tournaments being played on ESPNU or whatever. I don't think switching from 60 of 119 teams playing in the postseason down to 8 of 119 is going to fly.

You know who would hate it is the power conferences. Say you take only the conf. champs, do you think a school like Florida or Auburn would prefer going to the post season once every four years or so, or do you think they prefer going every year playing in New Years Day or BCS Bowls, as it currently is?

You'd have SEC powerhouses going to the playoffs with the same frequency as North Texas. That's not really fair.

For the conferences with a championship game, that would be a de facto post season game. That is essentially a play in game with winner assured a further postseason. They only have to be better than five other teams to get to the post season. If they aren't able to do that don't really need to be playing after the regular season is over (this is purely a personal opinion. Keeping around some bowls as consolation would be ok i guess but i don't really place much worth or stock in a bowl game that is meaningless like 95% of today's bowls. 60 of 119 teams in Bowls? that is one hell of a racket. currnetly the very concept of post season play is laughable. The eight team playoff would actually make the post season something rare and cherished. ) You use North Texas as an example..... they would be in the playoffs far less frequently than those powerhouses you speak of. Not only would they need to win their conference but they would also need to have some BCS formula say that their team is stronger than the champs from the other non-BCS conferences in order to get the one slot available to the lesser leagues.

As far as the revenue generated.... i would divide the monies into 8 shares. The BCS conferences would get full shares with the non bcs leagues dividing up the remaining 2 shares. This would give the non bcs leagues access to the championship and a stable revenue stream to fund their programs. The non BCS programs could also have some level of self governence, deciding who isn't carrying their weight and could be excluded from revenue sharing (ie the bottom half of the MAC, most of the sunbelt.)
11-30-2006 11:53 PM
DIP WV Offline
2nd String

Quote:they would be in the playoffs far less frequently than those powerhouses you speak of.
I thought we were talking conference champs straight up. What I'd like to see is a 16 team tourney with the conference champs of the BCS schools. All the remaining top 16 schools are chosen to fill out the remaining spots. If that means no Non-BCSs, so be it, if it means 2 or 3 so be it.

Then have a 2nd NIT Tournament. 16 teams picked based on whatever the committee deems best (probably name).

Post season appearances are a little more sacred again, selecting only 32 teams, but not quite as exclusive as 8 would be.
12-01-2006 12:36 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

You can't have purely an 8 team playoff. You would have to at least keep the bowls or maybe multiple lesser tournaments being played on ESPNU or whatever. I don't think switching from 60 of 119 teams playing in the postseason down to 8 of 119 is going to fly.

Actually, under my 8 team playoff plan, i would keep all the current bowls. All the teams not invited to the 8 team playoff would go directly to bowl games, also the 6 teams who lost in the first two rounds of the playoffs, which occur the first two weeks of dec, would than go to bowl games after their playoff defeat, ie say ohio state lost in the 1st round of the playoffs this year, than they would still go to a bowl game. Further, the last 2 remaining teams from the playoff would go to a rotatated bowl, rose, sugar, orange and fiesta, for a national title game, so there would be alot of bowls, just the timeframe for some teams getting picked for bowls would be shorter. The only school that would have a problem would be ND. You probably would make the 7th spot in the playoffs open to ND or any other indy, and also a conf champ from the MWC,WAC,Cusa,etc, ie whoever is ranked highest, gets the spot but i'd probably make it where ND would have to be in the top 10 or 12 to KO a conf champ. Also, the bowl tie ins could be an issue.
12-01-2006 12:21 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

DIP WV Wrote:You can't have purely an 8 team playoff. You would have to at least keep the bowls or maybe multiple lesser tournaments being played on ESPNU or whatever. I don't think switching from 60 of 119 teams playing in the postseason down to 8 of 119 is going to fly.
I don't see why we need 60 teams playing in the post season when most of those schools barely have winning records. A post season game is a reward for a great season, not a pat on the back for approaching mediocrity. That sounds suspiciously like the 'leave no kid behind rule.' Rules like that water the curriculum down so much that nobody learns anything. Or, in the case of the college football season, makes games with 2 teams with 6-6 records playing for the right to have a losing record after their bowl game. Who wants to be on a team that played in a bowl game and finished with a losing record? That is an accomplishment I can do without.
12-01-2006 03:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
army56mike Offline

army56mike Wrote:1- Ohio St. (B10)
16 - MTSU (SB)

8- Boise St. (WAC)
9- Arkansas (at large)

5- LSU (at large)
12- Oklahoma (B12)

4- Florida (SEC)
13- BYU (MWC)

3- Michigan (at large)
14- C. Michigan (MAC)

6- Louisville (BE)
11- Ga. Tech (ACC)

7- Wisconsin (at large)

2- USC (P10)
15- S. Miss (C-USA)

You have the conference Champs plus at large bids. If you took the Top 16 BCS teams this is who got left out when you include Conf. Champs outside the BCS Top 16... Auburn, Rutgers, Va. Tech, WVU and Tennessee. They are all fairly competitive games as far as I can see. It's kind of like the #1 & 2 seeds have byes. Let all the teams not involved in the playoff go to other bowls that aren't included in the BCS playoff.

Ohio St. wins their 1st rounder in the Hoosier Bowl.
Arkansas wins their 1st rounder in the Cotton Bowl.

Oklahoma wins their 1st rounder in the Alamo Bowl.
Florida wins their 1st rounder in the Gator Bowl.

C. Michigan upsets Michigan in the Motor City Bowl.
Louisville wins their 1st rounder in the Music City Bowl.

Notre Shame wins their 1st rounder in the Liberty Bowl.
USC wins their 1st rounder in the Holiday Bowl.
12-01-2006 07:13 PM
Advertisement

DIP WV Offline
2nd String

Quote:I don't see why we need 60 teams playing in the post season when most of those schools barely have winning records. A post season game is a reward for a great season, not a pat on the back for approaching mediocrity.
I don't want 60 teams but I sure as heck don't want just 8 either. I want to see 32. A 16 team playoff for the NC and a 16 team playoff for the NIT.

If you have 8 teams only, you could have a top 10 program who shares the same fate as Temple.
12-02-2006 12:29 AM
army56mike Offline

army56mike Wrote:
army56mike Wrote:1- Ohio St. (B10)
16 - MTSU (SB)

8- Boise St. (WAC)
9- Arkansas (at large)

5- LSU (at large)
12- Oklahoma (B12)

4- Florida (SEC)
13- BYU (MWC)

3- Michigan (at large)
14- C. Michigan (MAC)

6- Louisville (BE)
11- Ga. Tech (ACC)

7- Wisconsin (at large)

2- USC (P10)
15- S. Miss (C-USA)

Ohio St. wins their 1st rounder in the Hoosier Bowl.
Arkansas wins their 1st rounder in the Cotton Bowl.

Oklahoma wins their 1st rounder in the Alamo Bowl.
Florida wins their 1st rounder in the Gator Bowl.

C. Michigan upsets Michigan in the Motor City Bowl.
Louisville wins their 1st rounder in the Music City Bowl.

Notre Shame wins their 1st rounder in the Liberty Bowl.
USC wins their 1st rounder in the Holiday Bowl.

Ohio St. wins the quarterfinal in the Sugar Bowl.
Florida wins the quarterfinal in the Orange Bowl.

Louisville wins the quarterfinal in the Gator Bowl.
USC wins the quarterfinal in the Rose Bowl.
12-02-2006 12:36 AM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

And you want to give up CFB from 12-19 to 1-8 for what a playoff. Louv doesn't make playoffs, thier not even making 10 team BCS. You still have Wisc, Ark, Auburn, VT, B12 loser, BYU in front of Louv. Louv would end up in Armred Foreces Bowl playing TCU.
12-02-2006 07:39 AM
army56mike Offline

templefootballfan Wrote:And you want to give up CFB from 12-19 to 1-8 for what a playoff. Louv doesn't make playoffs, thier not even making 10 team BCS. You still have Wisc, Ark, Auburn, VT, B12 loser, BYU in front of Louv. Louv would end up in Armred Foreces Bowl playing TCU.

I'm not quite sure what your babble is about. Wait for the coffee to wake you up and then try to post something that makes sense. Good luck.
12-02-2006 09:18 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.