Thread Closed 
West Virginia to Gator Bowl
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:
West Virginia to Gator Bowl
Texas will play Iowa in Alamo Bowl

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Nearly a year after winning the national championship, the Texas Longhorns will only need to make a 90-minute drive to their bowl destination.
The Longhorns will make their first appearance in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio on Dec. 30, a bowl official told the Houston Chronicle. Texas (9-3) will play Iowa (6-6).

Bowl pairings will officially be announced later today.

It marks the first time the two schools have met since the Hawkeyes won 55-17 in the 1984 Freedom Bowl.

Less than a month ago, the Longhorns were in position for a third straight Bowl Championship Series appearance. Those hopes disappeared when consecutive losses to Kansas State and Texas A&M to end the regular-season cost the Longhorns a chance to play for the Big 12 title and the league
12-03-2006 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Congrats to the Mountaineers! Plenty of time to get healthy and hammer whoever the ACC representative is!
12-03-2006 02:45 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Sounds like the Gator needs WVU fans to bail them out of the red stemming from the poorly attended ACC title game ;-)

Jackson
12-03-2006 02:51 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Jackson1011 Wrote:Sounds like the Gator needs WVU fans to bail them out of the red stemming from the poorly attended ACC title game ;-)

Jackson

Someone posted an article saying the same thing. In fact, I think they cut a deal so that they could avoid Georgia Tech and bring in Clemson fans, who travel well. Pretty funny that the Gator Bowl tried to get out from under the Big East, and now need them to save face! lmfao
12-03-2006 02:54 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

and it looks like the same will happen with the Orange Bowl IF they choose Louisville.
Here are two Bowls that kept their ACC deals and restricted or withdrew their BE ties and now will rely on Big East teams to make up for poor travelling ACC teams. I hope MT remembers this when dealing with them for future contracts
12-03-2006 03:08 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh, he will remember. What comes around goes around!
12-03-2006 03:09 PM
RaliLlama Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia

I would have thought that the Gator Bowl would have gone for Texas vs. Clemson in a heartbeat. Clemson would have filled the stadium for a chance to play the Longhorns and I would think that Texas fans would travel well enough to fill the place up. I can not see Georgia Tech fans going back to Jacksonville a month after losing to Wake Forest there. They've lost to Georgia and WF in the last two games and seem to have lost their enthusiasm.

My question is: Is the Gator Bowl calling the shots here or the ACC? It seems to me to be the later. Rumor has it that Virginia Tech gets the Peach Bowl. The Gator is for the 3rd ACC team and Clemson has a better record than GT don't they?

I'm not complaining. I thought we would be playing Oregon State in the Sun Bowl.

I am guessing, but could it be that the ACC insisted that GT get the Gator and with their probable lack of fan attendence prevent the Gator from getting the defending national champions.

And Texas plays a 6-6 Iowa team in the Alamo Bowl.

A Texas-Clemson Gator Bowl is a no brainer.

What's the deal here?
12-03-2006 06:33 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:A Texas-Clemson Gator Bowl is a no brainer.

What's the deal here?

-- The Gator can't take Clemson because ACC bowls are now based on records. You have to be within one game of the team above you in order to jump a team in the standings. This is a new rule for this yr because BC was crying due to the fact that no ACC bowl wanted then last yr

Jackson
12-03-2006 06:39 PM
RaliLlama Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:A Texas-Clemson Gator Bowl is a no brainer.

What's the deal here?

-- The Gator can't take Clemson because ACC bowls are now based on records. You have to be within one game of the team above you in order to jump a team in the standings. This is a new rule for this yr because BC was crying due to the fact that no ACC bowl wanted then last yr

Jackson

Works out well for the Mountaineer fans doesn't it? This new ACC does have it's positive points.

lmfao
12-03-2006 06:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.