Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LA Tech @ North Texas: Gameday Thread
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
I'm so ready to get this game started. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow.

Here is some Gameday information people might want to see before kickoff:

http://www.meangreensports.com/gameday/n...-2014.html

And, here is our great 2014 Intro Video:

Go Mean Green!!!
09-10-2014 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: LA Tech @ North Texas: Gameday Thread
you going to be tailgating?
09-10-2014 09:01 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-10-2014 09:01 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  you going to be tailgating?

If I was playing hooky from work tomorrow I would. Unfortunately, I have to be responsible. I'll probably be at the stadium by 5.
09-10-2014 09:04 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Just reported on this week's GoMeanGreen Podcast:

Over 5,000 North Texas students have already picked up their tickets for tomorrow nights game against LA Tech. There should be a very load and rowdy crowd behind the Dawgs bench.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 10:14 PM by Side Show Joe.)
09-10-2014 10:13 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2014 10:13 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Over 5,000 North Texas students have already picked up their tickets for tomorrow nights game against LA Tech.There should be a very load and rowdy crowd behind the Dawgs bench.

That's not allowed in CUSA is it? We had to move our team in front of our student section last year.
09-10-2014 11:21 PM
fussbudget Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U N T
(09-10-2014 11:21 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 10:13 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Over 5,000 North Texas students have already picked up their tickets for tomorrow nights game against LA Tech.There should be a very load and rowdy crowd behind the Dawgs bench.

That's not allowed in CUSA is it? We had to move our team in front of our student section last year.

Our AD Rick V made some interesting lobbying moves on this during the offseason. Essentially, we didn't move students out from behind the opponents bench last year. They're loud and intimidating and generally get in the heads of opponents.

Rice and MidTenn's ADs bitched hard over this and CUSA dictated that the first fifteen rows behind the bench and between the 30s couldn't be student seating. RV was having none of it. His argument was two-fold: you don't want to ever neuter or discourage your on-campus student fan base and for TV, you can't allow any opportunity for there to be pockets of empty stands since the cameras are generally pointed that way for crowd shots.

So a compromise was established. Only the first five rows would be cordoned off and our ticket office made those 250-some odd seats into targeted Young Alumni seating. Greatly priced package, chair backs, the works, but our promotions and marketing are ever lacking and they weren't selling as quickly as they should. Enter John Williams.

Williams is the primary face of the group of alumni who own and operate a few of the absolute best bars in town (seriously, check out EastSide or Oak Street Drafthouse & Cocktail Parlor if you come to Denton). John bought up all the remaining tickets in that section, and then resold them at a discounted rate and an even better package for his regular patrons. It includes a branded sections shirt, free drinks before and after games, and shuttles to and from the bars. His influence and reach then made the tickets sell like hot cakes.

And if last Saturday vs. SMU is any indication, that section and the rest of the student section around it are going to remain rowdier than ever before.
09-11-2014 12:47 AM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2014 12:47 AM)fussbudget Wrote:  

Our AD Rick V made some interesting lobbying moves on this during the offseason. Essentially, we didn't move students out from behind the opponents bench last year. They're loud and intimidating and generally get in the heads of opponents.

Rice and MidTenn's ADs bitched hard over this and CUSA dictated that the first fifteen rows behind the bench and between the 30s couldn't be student seating. RV was having none of it. His argument was two-fold: you don't want to ever neuter or discourage your on-campus student fan base and for TV, you can't allow any opportunity for there to be pockets of empty stands since the cameras are generally pointed that way for crowd shots.

So a compromise was established. Only the first five rows would be cordoned off and our ticket office made those 250-some odd seats into targeted Young Alumni seating. Greatly priced package, chair backs, the works, but our promotions and marketing are ever lacking and they weren't selling as quickly as they should. Enter John Williams.

Williams is the primary face of the group of alumni who own and operate a few of the absolute best bars in town (seriously, check out EastSide or Oak Street Drafthouse & Cocktail Parlor if you come to Denton). John bought up all the remaining tickets in that section, and then resold them at a discounted rate and an even better package for his regular patrons. It includes a branded sections shirt, free drinks before and after games, and shuttles to and from the bars. His influence and reach then made the tickets sell like hot cakes.

And if last Saturday vs. SMU is any indication, that section and the rest of the student section around it are going to remain rowdier than ever before.

Excellent summary.

The cold front rolled in last night, and it looks like we will have us some fine weather for the game. 04-cheers
09-11-2014 06:05 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Hoping to see a good crowd in Denton for TV!
09-11-2014 07:04 AM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(09-11-2014 12:47 AM)fussbudget Wrote:  

Thanks for the info.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 09:07 AM by LaTechBanjo.)
09-11-2014 09:06 AM
papa_dawg Offline
Stirring Pots Since 1975

I Root For: LA Tech
I'm already at Apogee stadium. I gotta hand it to you boys, this place is very nice. Especially the press box, club, and suites. I was told the guys who designed the new Cowboys Stadium club designed yours. Either way, this is likely one of the best stadiums in our league...kudos.

Now lay down and take an L. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 10:20 AM by papa_dawg.)
09-11-2014 10:19 AM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
I took the day. If my damn kid didnt have school, I would be up there right now. I will be spending time in one of your richest alumni's box and the Tech section. Should be one hell of game.
09-11-2014 10:23 AM
Advertisement

papa_dawg Offline
Stirring Pots Since 1975

I Root For: LA Tech
(09-11-2014 10:23 AM)Cscollis Wrote:  I took the day. If my damn kid didnt have school, I would be up there right now. I will be spending time in one of your richest alumni's box and the Tech section. Should be one hell of game.

That's the visiting AD's suite. Should be a lot of interesting people to meet.
09-11-2014 10:27 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
I'm already drinking....gonna be a beautiful day
09-11-2014 10:54 AM
Digi368 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Runners
I think the winner of this game will be the team to fear in the West...
09-11-2014 11:16 AM
D lot Dawg Offline
Water Engineer

Really wish this game wouldn't have been moved from Saturday. I completely understand why, but taking away one of my easily drivable road games is unfortunate.

That said, all you fans who can afford to be off work have a safe trip.

I think this game will develop into a good series for C-USA. May the best team win!
09-11-2014 11:29 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 10:23 AM)Cscollis Wrote:  I took the day. If my damn kid didnt have school, I would be up there right now. I will be spending time in one of your richest alumni's box and the Tech section. Should be one hell of game.

that's a nice way to talk about your kid
09-11-2014 11:37 AM
Advertisement

fussbudget Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U N T
(09-11-2014 11:16 AM)Digi368 Wrote:  I think the winner of this game will be the team to fear in the West...

I'm really surprised you'd say that. All of CUSA West seems strong right now (HELL! Even the future looks good with UAB again!), but this year UTSA seems to already be the class to contend with.
09-11-2014 12:41 PM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
(09-11-2014 11:37 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  

She knows I love her and I offered to take her out early and she said no. She's 16 and drives a 1970 Chevelle to school everyday so she's a little spoiled.
09-11-2014 01:10 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Decisions decisons decisions. Do I root for our oldest conference mate...WAC attack Tech or.....my favorite music school?
09-11-2014 01:15 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 01:10 PM)Cscollis Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:37 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  

She knows I love her and I offered to take her out early and she said no. She's 16 and drives a 1970 Chevelle to school everyday so she's a little spoiled.

then don't take her to the game
09-11-2014 01:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.