Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Greg Schiano tells MIAMI NO/He is staying at Rutgers
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Greg Schiano tells MIAMI NO/He is staying at Rutgers
Schiano tells Miami he's not leaving RutgersESPN.com news services

After coming within a 52-yard field goal of bringing Rutgers its first Big East title in school history, Greg Schiano has risen to the top of many schools' wish lists this holiday season. But his wish is to stay at Rutgers.

Greg Schiano turned down Miami to continue building on his recent Rutgers success.

Schiano said at his weekly news conference Monday that he he talked with Miami in the last 24 hours about its vacant coaching job, but he told the school he's staying at Rutgers

Schiano has a pre-existing relationship with Miami athletic director Paul Dee, having served as Miami's defensive coordinator from 1999-2000.

Rutgers struggled for years before its resurgence under Schiano, who on Friday was named Home Depot's coach of the year. This year, the Scarlet Knights won their first nine games and were ranked as high as No. 7 before going 1-2 down the stretch.

Despite that disappointment, Schiano said, his team won't let down for the Texas Bowl.

"Certainly, there's disappointment," he said. "We had an opportunity to be in the BCS, and more importantly to be league champions. To come close and not get it hurts.
If he is offered the job, should Greg Schiano leave Rutgers to coach at Miami?
Yes
No

"But in 137 years of football, we've only been to two bowl games, so we're thrilled to be going to another bowl game -- and for the first time in our history, to be going to back-to-back bowl games."

No. 13 Rutgers fell short of the Big East title and their first BCS berth with a 41-39, triple-overtime loss at No. 15 West Virginia on Saturday. The defeat gave Louisville the Big East's automatic bid as conference champion.

Rutgers' 10-2 season was its best since going 11-0 in 1976. On Sunday, the Scarlet Knights accepted an invitation to the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 in Houston, where they will take on Kansas State.

Miami has been in the market for a coach since the school fired Larry Coker on Nov. 24, a day after the Hurricanes beat Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season. Coker, 59-15 with one national championship in his six years in Coral Gables, will coach the Canes in the MPC Computers Bowl on Dec. 31.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2685494
12-04-2006 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

Not surprised and I think he made the right choice. If anything I'm surprised Miami actually approached him. Not without a solid offer that would be very hard for him to turn down, anyway. ATL radio said Miami was prepared to offer him $1.8M.

Anyone know if Dade County voters followed through on the parks vote that included funds for the Orange Bowl?
12-04-2006 01:54 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

That is great news. I hope all coaches that are being considered decide to stay. Hopefully the Big East can carry over the momentum of this season into next.
12-04-2006 02:39 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

bearcatfan Wrote:That is great news. I hope all coaches that are being considered decide to stay. Hopefully the Big East can carry over the momentum of this season into next.

:iagree: 02-13-banana 04-rock :dirtyvegas: 04-cheers 03-2thumbsup :patriot: :towel: :dance: :rocker: 07-coffee3
12-04-2006 04:49 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Who would have thought that we would see the day that the Rutgers job would turn down the Miami-FL job because the Rutgers job is better?
12-04-2006 06:02 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

He did the right thing for him in the long run. Whoever takes the Miami job will be in jeopardy in his next three years if:
A) has a season 7-5 or worse
B) has not gotten to a BCS Bowl in those three years

The expectations are HIGH in Miami but the facilities and support are not at same level. It will be a tough job for anyone to maintain for a long time. This is why you see coaches come in and leave.
12-04-2006 06:29 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

And at Rutgers the facilities are there, the support is there, and the facilities will be upgraded/improved/expanded. He also has more realistic expectations and he's at home already.
12-04-2006 06:58 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Goes to show you money don't move mountains. Glad to see Rutgers keeping their coach. Now if WVU can keep Coach Rod that would just make my anti-Bama day living in Birmingham.
12-04-2006 08:12 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Greg Schiano Not Interested In Miami
Rutgers coach says he's staying, not interested in Miami
By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer
December 4, 2006

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- After weeks of speculation about his future, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano decided to spend at least the foreseeable part of it right where he is.

In response to rumors he was poised to take over the troubled University of Miami program, Schiano said Monday he had told Hurricanes athletic director Paul Dee to take his name off a list of candidates.

"Rutgers is where I am going to be and Rutgers is where I want to be. I am not a candidate for that job and I won't be a candidate for that job," Schiano said Monday.

Schiano, a New Jersey native who was Miami's defensive coordinator in 1999 and 2000, said he told Dee on Monday not to consider him for the job.

Miami coach Larry Coker was fired after going 6-6 in the regular season.

Schiano has orchestrated No. 16 Rutgers' rise from one of the nation's lowliest programs in the past six seasons, and led the team to its first bowl appearance in 27 years in 2005.

At 10-2 (5-2 Big East) this season after winning their first nine games, the Scarlet Knights are headed to a Texas Bowl matchup against Kansas State. Rutgers narrowly missed the Bowl Championship Series and a likely Orange Bowl appearance by losing Saturday night in triple overtime at West Virginia.

As Rutgers continued to win this season and Coker's position became more tenuous, speculation grew that Schiano was one of the top candidates, perhaps even No. 1, for the Hurricanes job.

Schiano never wavered from the message that he was happy at Rutgers and looking forward to the program's continued growth -- yet he never explicitly said he would stay at the school.

That only fueled more rumors, which persisted through the West Virginia game and into Monday.

"People kept asking if it was a distraction for the players during the season, but I knew once Saturday came that we needed to address it and that's exactly what happened," Schiano said.

Schiano said Monday he had not signed a new contract with Rutgers, but said his agent is in discussions with Rutgers officials. He made $191,000 last year before athletic director Robert Mulcahy gave him a seven-year extension that maxes out at $350,000 by 2012.

The extension raised Schiano's annual income from private sources from $325,000 to $625,000. With incentives, his total compensation is in the $1 million range. Coker, meanwhile, had three seasons left on a contract that paid him about $2 million annually.

"He's maintained all along that this is where he wanted to be and this is where he's going to be. He's a man of principle and there's really no more to say about it," Mulcahy said.

Schiano had previously hinted that money issues were secondary to Rutgers' committing to make the upgrades necessary to field a top-10 caliber team.

At the top of his current wish list is an expansion of 41,500-seat Rutgers Stadium. Several home games were sellouts this season, including the final two games in which temporary bleachers added 2,000 seats to the south end zone. Season-ticket sales have already increased by 5,000 for next season, Schiano said Monday.

He added that school officials "are all on the same page with what we want to build here."

"We just need to keep moving forward. There are people committed at Rutgers to taking it to the level we're talking about. That's what's important to me," he said.

With the 40-year-old Schiano now considered a hot commodity in coaching circles, Miami doesn't figure to be the last school to come calling. Already there are whispers that Schiano has his eye on replacing Joe Paterno at Penn State, another program where he was an assistant.

For now, Schiano's enthusiasm for his current job remains boundless.

"We're just scratching the surface here at Rutgers," Schiano said. "The sky's the limit. We're going to do great things here. We haven't done it yet. The seniors have laid the foundation for really, really big things. We've recruited really great young guys in this program and this is home."

This article appeared on the Yahoo Sports website on Monday, December 4, 2006.
12-04-2006 11:05 PM
Magic Knight Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

CatsClaw Wrote:Who would have thought that we would see the day that the Rutgers job would turn down the Miami-FL job because the Rutgers job is better?
Timing is everything. For the record Rutgers football program is not better than UM football program. GS just wanted to finish what he started. Gary Barnett while at NW turned down alot of jobs from 1995-1997.
12-05-2006 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Magic Knight Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:Who would have thought that we would see the day that the Rutgers job would turn down the Miami-FL job because the Rutgers job is better?
Timing is everything. For the record Rutgers football program is not better than UM football program. GS just wanted to finish what he started. Gary Barnett while at NW turned down alot of jobs from 1995-1997.

But none of them were from the 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time National Champions Miami Hurricanes.
12-05-2006 09:02 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Maize Wrote:
Magic Knight Wrote:

But none of them were from the 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time, 5 Time National Champions Miami Hurricanes.

Not to mention the fact the program is in shambles, the school is having an identity crisis supposedly, and Barnett didn't have the same ties to the region, state, and school that Schiano does. Plus I'd like to believe there are still dedicated, good people in the world. I also know other reasons why Greg wouldn't leave all of which are honorable.
12-05-2006 10:10 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Rutgers Can Become Better Than Miami
Magic Knight Wrote:
Rutgers has the potential to be better than Miami in time. People like you are looking at the Hurricanes past and saying why. Greg Schiano is looking at the Scarlet Knights future and saying why not. He is a visionary on a mission to actualize his allegedly impossible dream and he is closer than any of the negative doubters out there realize.
12-05-2006 04:25 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.