Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rick Pitino=Dave Wannsteadt
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Rick Pitino=Dave Wannsteadt
Ricky P is now becoming the basketball version of Wanny. I am sick and tired of him wasting talented basketball players because of his ego.

At this rate we will not even have a winning record with the way they are playing. After our Bowl game wake me up when Spring Football Practice starts.
12-14-2006 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Is UL becoming a football school? Wow

Jackson
12-14-2006 08:00 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Jackson1011 Wrote:Is UL becoming a football school? Wow

Jackson

The main local sports radio talking head last night declared as much.
12-14-2006 08:08 AM
dbacard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Re: Rick Pitino=Dave Wannsteadt
Maize Wrote:Ricky P is now becoming the basketball version of Wanny. I am sick and tired of him wasting talented basketball players because of his ego.

At this rate we will not even have a winning record with the way they are playing. After our Bowl game wake me up when Spring Football Practice starts.

Thats not fair, Wanny has only been with Pitt for 2 years. He will turn Pitt around. Pinto bean on the other hand is in his 6th year.
12-14-2006 08:52 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

dbacard Wrote:
Maize Wrote:Ricky P is now becoming the basketball version of Wanny. I am sick and tired of him wasting talented basketball players because of his ego.

Thats not fair, Wanny has only been with Pitt for 2 years. He will turn Pitt around. Pinto bean on the other hand is in his 6th year.

I guess you missed Wanny gigs at Chicago or the Dolphins.

Pitino excuse Number 1=We're young, WHATEVER. So is everyone that is any good in College Basketball. Hell UNC and Ohio State are young.
12-14-2006 08:53 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
dbacard Wrote:

Thats not fair, Wanny has only been with Pitt for 2 years. He will turn Pitt around.
Wanny has underacheived everywhere he's been. His Pitt team this year should have a better record. They folded at the end of the year. That has been a trademark for all of the teams he's coached. I don't see him lasting long at Pitt unless that changes next year. And without Palko, I don't see that changing.
12-14-2006 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
dbacard Wrote:

Walt Harris did not leave the cupboard bare at Pitt when he left. Wanny has piled up the talent on top of that if you believe recruiting services. He's a crappy coach. That team should have been better this year. There was no reason it shouldnt have been competitive in the last half of the season.
12-14-2006 09:04 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Come on Maize lmfao

Pitino has taken three different schools to the final four. Drop me a line when Wanny does anything close to the football equivalent of that.
12-14-2006 09:16 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

MrHankyTheChristmasPoo Wrote:Come on Maize lmfao

Pitino has taken three different schools to the final four. Drop me a line when Wanny does anything close to the football equivalent of that.

That is the past and you can't live in the past.

Right now his teams the past 2 years remind me of Pitt under Wanny. Very talented but underachieving.
12-14-2006 09:22 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

a) I was skeptical of Wannstedt from the outset. Nothing has changed. Question is, who else could the current version of Pitt expect to get that's better?

b) IMO, Pitino is in a little trouble not because of the records right now but because of how the Cards are earning that record. If the Cards can't make headway with their out of conference schedule then they won't make waves in the BE. Believe me, as I'm scared to death of what will happen when Boeheim leaves Syracuse, it will be very tough for one of the established powers to climb back up from any substantial doldrums in this conference without some type of change. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but there are too many other good teams ready to tear them apart if the Cards (Orange, UConn) slip into mediocrity. How long until Calhoun is telling recruits "Pitino can't cut it anymore?"

c) The recent rise in football may well be having an effect. I've cited before the relative absence of school's that are perennial big dogs in both sports. Michigan State and Wisconsin sometimes float back and forth, occasionally a Texas, Oklahoma or Florida makes a Final Four run, but traditionally school's are one or the other. Part of it has to do with the focus of the big boosters and fans, another part of it surely is the players wanting to be top dog at their campus. Even people on this board have said UNC will never be a good football school because the fans care too much about basketball. I'm guessing the adage may be more universal. Could the Cardinal basketball players feel the attention slipping away as names like Brohm and Bush dominate the airwaves?
12-14-2006 09:54 AM
MylesKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

Maize (and any other concerned UofL Fans), please learn to appreciate what you have a bit more.. Your School's Basketball Program was taking the court against Illinois only a little over 19 months ago in that season's National Semifinals.

Not to mention your School's Football Program is playing in one of the Big Time Bowl Games next Month.

Most anyone else around would trade their school's current accomplishments for your University's "major problems" in the Basketball Program as you mentioned, in the blink of an eye.

Pitino is and will continue to be a great basketball coach. What he did at Providence and then later at Kentucky were amazing accomplishments, and chances are before all is said and done, he will have much success at the UofL as well (again, he's already taken the Cards to one Final Four).

I don't usually post much on these boards, but am a active reader of quite a few College Sports related boards (College Sports are Numero Uno in the Athletic World)... Louisville's Athletic Program has been one of the most remarkable stories in the past few years in terms of development of fantastic facilities and high quality teams, and to see one of their own fans get this disgruntled is well, strange.

We certainly are a "Right Here, Right Now" society nowadays though.
12-14-2006 10:11 AM
Advertisement

SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI

I am certainly NOT going to apologize for Pitt's record these past two seasons and they certainly have done worse than many - including myself - have thought they would do.

However, DW is going to get at least 5 years. Next year might be rough with the away games. I am hopeful DW is able to turn Pitt back into a winner. Although, the admin is not going to put up with non-bowl seasons for very long considering the salary they are paying him and his staff.
12-14-2006 10:21 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Obviously Pitino is who he is and they were in the final four two years ago but I haven't been impressed with him lately. Our local (Cincy) radio host this morning in talking about how good a coach Mick is said to look at UL. He said Mick recruited most of their final four team and that they haven't done much since those players left. Hall of fame head coaches shouldn't be playing in the NIT in back to back years which is what it looks like UL is headed towards.
12-14-2006 10:29 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

I guess I am more calm with Pitino then most UofL fans, if you read around this morning. His substitution patterns annoy me to no end and I do feel his ego plays an aspect into feeling he has to show the new players who is the boss. However, I realize his ability and am not one that is foolishly telling him to hit the door. My feelings could change if he refuses to make adjustments.
12-14-2006 12:51 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

CollegeCard Wrote:My feelings could change if he refuses to make adjustments.

What's Pitino's MO in that regard?

I'm certainly not advocating the man's dismissal. If anything I'm surprised that this spell of underachievement has occurred under his watch. Too many assets at the program to be down for too long, which is why I think when it is down it deserves some investigation.
12-14-2006 01:11 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

I think having a young team only is not enough of an excuse. Florida's team last year was pretty young. UCONN's team this year under Calhoun is very very young with no Juniors and Seniors on the team. It still comes back to coaching and recruiting. I hope UL turns it around since I expect way more from them.
12-14-2006 02:01 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS

GunnerFan Wrote:

two years ago he went to zone midway through the season and rode it all the way to the Final Four...that was a pretty good adjustment...
12-14-2006 02:38 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

GunnerFan Wrote:

He has made some adjustments in the past, but overal is very stubborn, as I think most great coaches are. Even Denny Crum and Bob Valvano were questioning his substition non-patterns on their radio shows this morning. He needs to shorten the rotation to around 10 guys, instead of the 13 to 14 he has been playing. These aren't blowouts either. You don't need to be playing your 13th man in a 4 point game.
12-14-2006 02:50 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

I agree 100% Maize.
12-14-2006 06:05 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

Whatever Pitino did 10 years ago in the college game is not working now!

We
12-14-2006 06:42 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.