Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

IF UAB actually drops football what does CUSA do?
Sam Minuteman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMass/USF
Maybe I missed a thread about actual realignment issues, if so i apologize.

Does UAB go with an unbalanced schedule?

Do they look to the SoConn or MAC for the replacement?

Would this have any impact on media deals? Seems like there wouldn't be any or very minimal but perhaps it opens things up for a new negotiation.

Are there any trickle down effects? Obviously it's just CUSA so there are only a couple other conferences it could impact but interesting nonetheless.

Perhaps more importantly, are there other schools thinking about doing the same thing?

FWIW I hate the idea of what they are talking about but it is odd that there are no OOC games scheduled past 2016, like really odd.
11-08-2014 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: IF UAB actually drops football what does CUSA do?
[quote='Sam Minuteman' pid='11351828' dateline='1415502050']
Maybe I missed a thread about actual realignment issues, if so i apologize.

Does UAB go with an unbalanced schedule?

Do they look to the SoConn or MAC for the replacement?

Would this have any impact on media deals? Seems like there wouldn't be any or very minimal but perhaps it opens things up for a new negotiation.

Are there any trickle down effects? Obviously it's just CUSA so there are only a couple other conferences it could impact but interesting nonetheless.

Perhaps more importantly, are there other schools thinking about doing the same thing?

FWIW I hate the idea of what they are talking about but it is odd that there are no OOC games scheduled past 2016, like really odd.
[/quote

Simplest is to pick up army or UMass if they can. Next would be a sun belt school. Trickle down would end there if sun belt stayed at ten or maybe they finally go to 12 with Chattanooga etsu liberty or jmu.
11-08-2014 10:09 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
These are the schools that are being thrown around.

Louisiana
Akron
or
Texas State

My preference?...Akron. The likely selection?...Louisiana or Texas state.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 11:17 PM by MUHERD76.)
11-08-2014 11:15 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
They grab Arkansas State.
11-08-2014 11:23 PM
Sam Minuteman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMass/USF
(11-08-2014 11:15 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  These are the schools that are being thrown around.

Louisiana
Akron
or
Texas State

Louisiana seems to make a lot of sense right in the middle of the footprint, but you really can't go wrong with a school in Texas. A little surprised they might not consider one of the teams in Georgia, the Atlanta market might be nice to get into for any conference.
11-08-2014 11:29 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2014 11:29 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 11:15 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  These are the schools that are being thrown around.

Louisiana
Akron
or
Texas State

Louisiana seems to make a lot of sense right in the middle of the footprint, but you really can't go wrong with a school in Texas. A little surprised they might not consider one of the teams in Georgia, the Atlanta market might be nice to get into for any conference.

Louisiana has a pretty good fan base and really lobbied hard for CUSA this last go around. Texas State....they are early in their development but they do have a location that is really ideal for the West division of CUSA. Akron...they are the longer shot of the trio but do have some positives for CUSA. First of all, CUSA doesn't have a representative school in Ohio and would like to tap that Canton/Cleveland market. Akron also brings a good basketball replacement and good facilities.

As for Georgia Southern or Georgia State....it would make geographic sense for CUSA to consider a team from Georgia. At this point it appears that Southern is the higher upside play but I've heard nothing in the form of chatter from those two schools.
11-08-2014 11:52 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
A western addition makes for cleaner divisions - that means Louisiana, Arkansas State, or Texas State. New Mexico State or Missouri State would be dark horse picks.
11-09-2014 12:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think they pick up the Cajuns.

The program is on fire growing right now and that looks to continue. A conference move will just add to that. There is a lot of untapped potential in Lafayette. The same is true for Texas State though. ASU would also be a strong addition but I think most would agree there is a little less growth potential for whatever reason there, but still a fantastic addition.
11-09-2014 12:26 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Louisiana-Lafayette makes a great deal of sense, but since the conference has a team in Louisiana already and not in Georgia, I'd think Georgia State or Georgia Southern as first guesses (although would have to look a lot more at the schools to say that beyond a first guess).
11-09-2014 12:33 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I think Louisiana and Georgia Southern are the best two full-member options.

The question I have is what happens to UAB Olympic sports? Are they kicked to the curb too? Would CUSA ever consider keeping UAB as a non-football member and then adding a football-only member like UMASS?
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 09:56 AM by HuskyU.)
11-09-2014 09:55 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
I wonder if NIU would be an option.
They left the MAC once before and may see it as a step towards the AAC. Even if it really would not be a step up. They have a little more national interest than the other candidates. NIU would probably help the next T.V. negotiations the most.

The MAC would have plenty of options if that happened.
11-09-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
No additions, unless BYU is listening. Every program mentioned has nowhere else to go and will always be available. C-USA went to 14 expecting more losses. Maybe we knew UAB was in a tough spot?

BYU may need a conference. If it is MWC, C-USA probably loses UTEP, too. A 12-team C-USA would be fine.
11-09-2014 11:27 AM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
La Tech blocks Louisiana from joining. Georgia Southern fills the Georgia gap on the CUSA map. The two games the Eagles played in Atlanta this year (Tech, State) show what kind of footprint we have in that market. 15K fans at Bobby Dodd, ~20K in the Georgia Dome.
11-09-2014 11:30 AM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
(11-09-2014 10:40 AM)MJG Wrote:  I wonder if NIU would be an option.
They left the MAC once before and may see it as a step towards the AAC. Even if it really would not be a step up. They have a little more national interest than the other candidates. NIU would probably help the next T.V. negotiations the most.

I don't see NIU leaving the MAC for C-USA. Too much of a lateral move.
11-09-2014 11:43 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
New Mexico State was first team left out when WKU was added. They'd still make sense if UTEP would allow it.

But we ain't going nowhere.
11-09-2014 12:05 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't think UAB is dropping football but if it did happen maybe CUSA could throw them a bone an add UALR to pair with UAB than add another football school like Ga Southern.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 12:11 PM by bluesox.)
11-09-2014 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-09-2014 11:43 AM)nbcards Wrote:  

I don't see NIU leaving the MAC for C-USA. Too much of a lateral move.

I would say its a step down.

Academics in the MAC are better. The MAC has more tradition. TV deal with ESPN. That all goes away with a move to CUSA.

A lot of the CUSA schools are smaller in enrollment. LaTech, Marshall, Rice, So Miss ect. Miami is the smallest in the MAC and it still 20,000 system wide.
11-09-2014 12:28 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-09-2014 09:55 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  I think Louisiana and Georgia Southern are the best two full-member options.

Agree.

I like the potential of Georgia State but if that is 10 years down the road CUSA can look at them at a later date.

There is a clear need to balance with somebody in the West because MTSU, WKU, MU, UNCC, ODU, FAU, FIU are all going to want to play ball in the East. That is why I think Louisiana is the way to go because they make for a nice regional rival with Rice, UNT, LaTech, So Miss. They just expanded to 37,000 seats. That is the kind of school CUSA likes to add.

CUSA West: UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice, LaTech, Louisiana, So Miss
CUSA East: MTSU, WKU, Marshall, Charlotte, ODU, FAU, FIU

It makes for a set of very geographically clear divisions. I likey...
11-09-2014 12:40 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

Louisiana
Akron
or
Texas State

As a MAC fan it would be nice if you could take Akron off our hands. They are the FIU of the MAC.

Then the MAC could drop back to 11 schools and split the TV/CFP money less ways. Play a 20 school round robin in basketball. Set up the midweek games to have MAC title implications.
11-09-2014 12:50 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

No interest in NIU from what I hear. The only Mac schools that I've heard could be on the radar is Akron. Their location and facilities is what make them attractive. They also bring a good basketball product to replace UAB. Other schools with chatter are the obvious ones in Louisana and Texas State. Have heard nothing in relation to Georgia State or Southern.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 09:35 PM by MUHERD76.)
11-09-2014 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.