Flames and C-USA?
12-16-2014 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
RE: Flames and C-USA?
(12-16-2014 07:40 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  Maybe?

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/12/football...eam-league
Where there is interest there is hope. Realistically, our chances are likely much less than the other schools mentioned in the article. It's great to be in the conversation. LU's desirability is increasing and it's chances of receiving an invite are the closest it's been. Let's hope it happens soon whether it's the C-USA or SBC.
12-16-2014 08:15 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Maybe, but not likely.
12-16-2014 09:13 AM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
You never know, with some teams looking at exit fees to move and Liberty willing to write a big check like WVA did? Time will tell.
12-16-2014 11:33 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-16-2014 11:33 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  You never know, with some teams looking at exit fees to move and Liberty willing to write a big check like WVA did? Time will tell.
If the article is valid, discussions may occur in January but no action will be taken. Would LU be willing to compensate their conference games in 2015 if they jumped this year? Does anyone know if an exit penalty exists in the BS, and if so, what is it?
12-16-2014 11:46 AM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
I read that Liberty offered the SB a similar amount to what WVA offered the B12. Exit fees from the BS would not be an issue.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 12:20 PM by Liberty Fan.)
12-16-2014 12:20 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-16-2014 12:20 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  I read that Liberty offered the SB a similar amount to what WVA offered the B12. Exit fees from the BS would not be an issue.
If, in a remove chance, LU was invited to join C-USA for the 2015 season per the article, all of those games LU has contracted with would have to be addressed. In addition, if there was an BS exit fee, LU would have to pay/re-negotiate that.

Does anyone know is there is an exit fee, and if so, how much for the BS?
12-16-2014 02:03 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Flames and C-USA?
We must have really deep pockets right now.
12-16-2014 07:37 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
If all it took was money to move to FBS we'd already be there. Unfortunately we need a conference to like us and want us to be equal members with them.

Liberty couldn't be a member of CUSA in football for 2015 if I understand the rules correctly. I think we'd be a transitional team in 2015 and 2016. In 2015 we'd basically be independent and play 12 games with a mixture of FCS and FBS. Then in 2016 we'd have a full FBS schedule but not be bowl eligible like App State and Georgia Southern were this year. Our games would still count towards the conference standings but we would not be eligible for postseason play.
12-18-2014 06:54 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-18-2014 06:54 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  If all it took was money to move to FBS we'd already be there. Unfortunately we need a conference to like us and want us to be equal members with them.

Liberty couldn't be a member of CUSA in football for 2015 if I understand the rules correctly. I think we'd be a transitional team in 2015 and 2016. In 2015 we'd basically be independent and play 12 games with a mixture of FCS and FBS. Then in 2016 we'd have a full FBS schedule but not be bowl eligible like App State and Georgia Southern were this year. Our games would still count towards the conference standings but we would not be eligible for postseason play.
That's my understanding also about the FBS eligibility. App State is a full member this year after playing last year a hybrid schedule last year.

Regarding the money to move to FBS, if the posters on this board are correct, that may have actually worked against LU. As all teams in the SBC are state schools, they are doled their funds. LU, being private, does not have that restriction. LU being a private school, and in the past being a lightning rod that has been toned down nowdays, is the larger factor determining LU's appeal.

There is also much talk on the C-USA board that if the conference took a team from the east (LU, JMU, App St, ODU, Ga So) that would require a movement of an existing team to the western division. Not insurmountable, but lots of moving parts that need to come together to even have the discussion.
12-18-2014 09:20 AM
GE and MTS Offline

If it meant going FBS, then I'd volunteer Liberty to be in the western division of the CUSA. Travel wouldn't be that bad with only four away games and at least one would be in Texas which would enhance our current Texas ties. The alternative would be in a division with Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte along with two Florida schools which would also be pretty cool. Either way, I'm liking the current set up of CUSA.
12-18-2014 07:49 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-18-2014 07:49 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  If it meant going FBS, then I'd volunteer Liberty to be in the western division of the CUSA. Travel wouldn't be that bad with only four away games and at least one would be in Texas which would enhance our current Texas ties. The alternative would be in a division with Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte along with two Florida schools which would also be pretty cool. Either way, I'm liking the current set up of CUSA.
But you are forgetting that most all sports will travel aka Olympic sports, not just football.
12-18-2014 08:35 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(12-18-2014 08:35 PM)Newetimes Wrote:  
(12-18-2014 07:49 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  If it meant going FBS, then I'd volunteer Liberty to be in the western division of the CUSA. Travel wouldn't be that bad with only four away games and at least one would be in Texas which would enhance our current Texas ties. The alternative would be in a division with Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte along with two Florida schools which would also be pretty cool. Either way, I'm liking the current set up of CUSA.
But you are forgetting that most all sports will travel aka Olympic sports, not just football.

I'm not forgetting. I think football is the only sport that uses divisions because they are mandatory.
12-19-2014 09:20 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
I wouldn't get hopes up too high in regard to CUSA membership, They value men's hoops at same level of higher than football. And that is obviously our Achille's Heel right now.

As for exiting the Big South, my understanding is the only cost would be the ticker tape parade down University Boulevard.
12-22-2014 05:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-22-2014 05:13 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  I wouldn't get hopes up too high in regard to CUSA membership, They value men's hoops at same level of higher than football. And that is obviously our Achille's Heel right now.

As for exiting the Big South, my understanding is the only cost would be the ticker tape parade down University Boulevard.
I thought there would be very little payback by LU to the BS when LU leaves. Great point on the importance of C-USA in MBB. With the very lowest RPI rating, we've hit the bottom of the barrel.

I've thought all along that our best shot for FBS membership is if ArkState or ULL took an invite to C-USA, and a slot opened, our opportunity would be an SBC invite. Add in if the Big12 does any adding with a C-USA school maybe a second SBC slot opens.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 08:42 PM by NewTimes.)
12-22-2014 07:04 PM
GE and MTS Offline

CUSA is definitely a long shot but ODU appears to want us (or at least another Virginia school). Usually schools near other members are frowned upon and shunned so as to not infringe on current member's turf. We are lucky that ODU would at least go to bat for us.
12-22-2014 11:15 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-22-2014 11:15 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  CUSA is definitely a long shot but ODU appears to want us (or at least another Virginia school). Usually schools near other members are frowned upon and shunned so as to not infringe on current member's turf. We are lucky that ODU would at least go to bat for us.
ODU seems to accept both LU and JMU if posts on the ODU board, and comments on the web have any merit.
12-23-2014 09:35 AM
Highlander84 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty
Just saw this :http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/if_uab_is_forced_out_what_does.html
03-09-2015 04:10 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(03-09-2015 04:10 PM)Highlander84 Wrote:  Just saw this :http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/if_uab_is_forced_out_what_does.html

Nice find and welcome to the board! It was published today so it is recent but unfortunately it doesn't really give us any new information that I'm aware of and it just mentions Liberty as a potential fit who may be interested and not that CUSA is interested.
03-09-2015 04:50 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-09-2015 04:10 PM)Highlander84 Wrote:  Just saw this :http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/if_uab_is_forced_out_what_does.html
Good find with the article. Nice that LU is mentioned. May be ambitious to think we're in a top position in appeal in the CUSA. As the SBC had been poached by CUSA several times we may be more likely to land in the SBC. Stranger things have happened.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 05:09 PM by NewTimes.)
03-09-2015 05:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.