Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does Liberty attract fans that don't support the school?
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
With several statements being made on this board about the Liberty mission let's take the gloves off and be honest. First, does Liberty want to attract fans who did not go to school at LU or TRBC, do not endorse many of the past actions and positions of the school, and at times are uncomfortable with current stances the school takes (Bob McDonald hiring), but are fans who enjoy college football and appreciate, respect and support the athletics department. I'm one of those.

I have sided with many LU posters on the SBC board about how LU is perceived, often times erroneously and unfairly. I've taken hits from Tom and Rev and many others on the SBC board supporting the athletic cause and position of LU. That's because I'm a fan of the athletic program.

I don't go to TRBC or identify with the school in most any other way. I just enjoy attending FB, WBB, MBB (in the past), and hockey games when in town. It's high quality college athletics. Does LU want to find others such myself, and if so, how does it do it?

I get and respect the LU brand/mission/vision. It's just not something I fully accept and endorse. There are many positive things LU does that are commendable. If most out of town naysayers knew the great things LU does that go unnoticed, they would feel less harsh about the school. So, does LU want to bring these folks in as supporters and fans? I think so. Let's get your thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 11:40 PM by NewTimes.)
01-05-2015 11:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: How does Liberty attract fans that don't support the school?
I'm a LU grad and I don't agree with lots of things LU has done. But I think LU's heart is in the right place just a tad misguided at times.

I wouldn't really know one way or another but I think LU wants to be attractive to everyone. Sports is a good way to get non LU grad fans on the fan bandwagon. Folks love sports and love winning. Everything usually comes after that.
01-06-2015 12:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-06-2015 12:25 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  I'm a LU grad and I don't agree with lots of things LU has done. But I think LU's heart is in the right place just a tad misguided at times.

I wouldn't really know one way or another but I think LU wants to be attractive to everyone. Sports is a good way to get non LU grad fans on the fan bandwagon. Folks love sports and love winning. Everything usually comes after that.
Sports is a great way for the school to promote itself and LU does mostly a great job of that (snowflex, hockey, baseball, FB, etc...). Then there are things specific to the school that I and others don't endorse or reject (CFAW) that perform a dual purpose. Fact is, if LU attempts to not allow sport fans the unencumbered time to enjoy and participate in school activities (strong push to accept the LU way placing fans in an awkward position), they'll lose the casual fan who they need to build the program. Does VA, VT, Alabama, Florida or any school exclude fans or supporters that didn't go to their school or endorse all actions of the university or people who were not supporters of the school? No. There is a perception and underlying position expressed by some here that that is the case, that LU is unique and everyone needs to be all in with LU. LU is unique, but let's not make it where one must drink the cool aid to be a fan of the school.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 06:57 AM by NewTimes.)
01-06-2015 06:54 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I have never heard of Liberty not accepting either casual fans or hardcore fans. Could you give some specifics?

From my experience they market the games/contests/competitions as family friendly events for everyone in the community, campus, and alumni. I haven't seen anyone turned away. I haven't seen them pass out Bibles, tracts, or pamphlets to promote their message or get everyone to conform to the Liberty Way.
01-06-2015 07:59 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-06-2015 07:59 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I have never heard of Liberty not accepting either casual fans or hardcore fans. Could you give some specifics?

From my experience they market the games/contests/competitions as family friendly events for everyone in the community, campus, and alumni. I haven't seen anyone turned away. I haven't seen them pass out Bibles, tracts, or pamphlets to promote their message or get everyone to conform to the Liberty Way.
Well said. And with you good comments that is why Flames fans continue to grow. It's because they accept the mission/brand of what LU stands for but are not leaned on to become an intricate part. I also have never been approached to attend church, confess, express my personal spiritual beliefs or more, at any LU athletic activity.

LU keeping the intimate parts of their mission separate from the teams is wise. A wise move is to build our fan base and expand it to the casual fan like most all big time school do. This will generate a larger following and allow those who want to accept the Liberty creed to do so, with their own free will. As you mention, passing out material would be beyond the bounds of acceptability. Now in the school environment, if that's part of the Liberty way then so be. I'm in full agreement with most all of the schools requirements for students and faculty. So what if LU is different from others.

I laugh when I read how some SBC posters chide LU about how tailgating will suck and the lack of being able to consume alcohol will diminish the event. To those fans who place a high value of getting buzzed before a game to enjoy themselves, that's a fairly narrow view if that determines how much you will enjoy the game.
01-06-2015 08:29 PM
Advertisement

Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
The Liberty Flames Sports Network just made a deal with two of the more popular radio stations in the Lynchburg and Roanoke markets. I think those two station were Virginia Tech outlets. I wonder if they will carry both teams or will Liberty be replacing VA Tech. Definitely a great way to put more local fans in the seats.
01-10-2015 02:07 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-10-2015 02:07 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  The Liberty Flames Sports Network just made a deal with two of the more popular radio stations in the Lynchburg and Roanoke markets. I think those two station were Virginia Tech outlets. I wonder if they will carry both teams or will Liberty be replacing VA Tech. Definitely a great way to put more local fans in the seats.
I was traveling through Roanoke yesterday and listened to the FM station catching the Greg Roberts sports show about 6pm. During the 30 minutes that I listened to the show, LU had two Flames 1-minute updates by Nick Pierce sports. As these are commercial stations, and previously LU had their games on their own station, it should generate more interest. Roberts did mention that when they had scheduling conflicts such as today VA vs. Notre Dame at 6pm and LU vs. Coastal at 7pm, they would move LU to their sister AM station. I'm a little confused with this. Is LU still on 88.3? If not, the AM station in Roanoke will not reach Lynchburg, or likely the FM station.
01-10-2015 02:40 PM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
No more 88.3 for BBall. 1059FM in Lynchburg and WFIR in Roanoke. There are 2 or 3 more games where it is on 88.3 due to VT conflicts. Tough to keep up with.
01-10-2015 03:46 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-10-2015 03:46 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  No more 88.3 for BBall. 1059FM in Lynchburg and WFIR in Roanoke. There are 2 or 3 more games where it is on 88.3 due to VT conflicts. Tough to keep up with.
This gets more confusing. I just checked the media listing on the Flames website. Seems like FB is still on 88.3. Below is the Listing Radio coverage of

Liberty football is available on Journey FM (88.3 FM Lynchburg), which is a part of the Journey FM Radio Network and includes 32 affiliates across Virginia. Liberty's men's basketball radio coverage can be heard on WLNI (105.9 FM Lynchburg) and WFIR (960 AM and 107.3 FM Roanoke). Additional coverage of Liberty women’s basketball, baseball, and softball is provided on The Light (90.9 FM WWMC Lynchburg).

That means there are now 4 stations one must use to listen to the games. As one who listens to many games when live stream is unavailable, this is very cumbersome. This must be a short term solution. AD Barber has done to many wise moves to have this be the final solution. And why only FB on 88.3?
01-10-2015 05:28 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

Rather than start another thread, I chose to add and update to this previous one. The popular SBC thead about why to disapprove of Liberty has been interesting. We see the same names with the same positions and the same comments from the non LU group and an expanding group of more level headed posters who are presenting valid views on our behalf. What is interesting is the number of non LU supporters that have spoken favorably on our behalf.

Another benefit from this thread is that new LU posters are joining and commenting with their posts. Although the name of the thread is detrimental, and naysayers keep their mantra constant, there is a slither of good that seems to have oozed from the from the thread in spite of the bottomless hole of the anti LU folks.

Our numbers here are increasing and when FB season begins we can expect it to experience a major spike upward a lot. To the recent folks who've joined. Welcome.
06-12-2015 09:21 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I guess my question isn't so much what station is carrying the games, but what is the reach? I have heard Lynchburg and Roanoke listed. I would assume the reach includes very nearby surrounding communities that can pick up those stations. What about other parts of the state... Charlottesville, Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News areas, Richmond, D.C. area? Are there radio affiliates out there that broadcast the Flames?
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2015 08:36 AM by army56mike.)
06-28-2015 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.