Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Mexico State and Troy open Sept. 26
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Quick check of the SBC, MAC and C-USA schedules and found only New Mexico State and Troy have open dates on Sept. 26. Is this a time for LU to pony up, offer some cash and try to schedule one of these teams? This would only provide NMSU and Troy one open date.
02-27-2015 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: New Mexico State and Troy open Sept. 26
Well do they need another game or are they at twelve? And Liberty wouldn't offer them money unless they came to Lynchburg which is unheard of for an FBS school going to an FCS school. They would definitely pay us to travel there.

Additionally if they have one FCS school scheduled then they wouldn't want another as just one helps get them bowl eligible.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 02:43 PM by GE and MTS.)
02-27-2015 02:39 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 02:39 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Well do they need another game or are they at twelve? And Liberty wouldn't offer them money unless they came to Lynchburg which is unheard of for an FBS school going to an FCS school. They would definitely pay us to travel there.

Additionally if they have one FCS school scheduled then they wouldn't want another as just one helps get them bowl eligible.
That's my point that LU would pay for a team to come to Lynchburg. Unheard of, mayb,e but I'll bet it has happened before. Time to think outside the box. I still bet that AD Barber has a plan yet to be announced.
02-27-2015 03:10 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
I have a feeling we'll be adding a division 2 school to the schedule. Very late in the process. I heard the Sunbelt conf doesn't allow for them to travel to any FCS school.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
02-27-2015 03:10 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 03:10 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I have a feeling we'll be adding a division 2 school to the schedule. Very late in the process. I heard the Sunbelt conf doesn't allow for them to travel to any FCS school.

If that is true, I would rather lose the home game and travel. As a fan would I hate losing a home game, sure. As one that wants the program to advance to FBS, we need to play as elevated schedule as possible, no more Glenville State, Brevard, etc... unless absolutely necessary.
02-27-2015 03:14 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(02-27-2015 03:14 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 03:10 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I have a feeling we'll be adding a division 2 school to the schedule. Very late in the process. I heard the Sunbelt conf doesn't allow for them to travel to any FCS school.

If that is true, I would rather lose the home game and travel. As a fan would I hate losing a home game, sure. As one that wants the program to advance to FBS, we need to play as elevated schedule as possible, no more Glenville State, Brevard, etc... unless absolutely necessary.

This is one of those absolute necessary times. Liberty should try to avoid a D II school but the situation may call for it.
02-27-2015 03:18 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
No Division II games. Agree, hit the road first.
02-27-2015 03:19 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
For the record, Homecoming was being planned around the JMU game. We could move it up a week earier to 9/19 for the Montana game. But that is really early in the fall for HC. The other option right now is Kennesaw State on 10/24 which is awfully late.

As for scheduling an FBS as a replacement, I don't see that happening unless out of desperation. We already will be coming into this open date off of trip to Morgantown to face WVU and a home date against FCS powerhouse Montana. The week following this opening we head to FBS cellar dweller Georgia State. Having three FBS games on the schedule will make it challenging for us to get a playoff at large.

I suspect we are working the phone hard trying to land an FCS opponent on either 9/26 or 10/31. The former is more appealing than the latter.
02-27-2015 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 03:58 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  For the record, Homecoming was being planned around the JMU game. We could move it up a week earier to 9/19 for the Montana game. But that is really early in the fall for HC. The other option right now is Kennesaw State on 10/24 which is awfully late.

As for scheduling an FBS as a replacement, I don't see that happening unless out of desperation. We already will be coming into this open date off of trip to Morgantown to face WVU and a home date against FCS powerhouse Montana. The week following this opening we head to FBS cellar dweller Georgia State. Having three FBS games on the schedule will make it challenging for us to get a playoff at large.

I suspect we are working the phone hard trying to land an FCS opponent on either 9/26 or 10/31. The former is more appealing than the latter.
Makes sense. It's a little wishful thinking on my part. It has at least got to be a FCS team. No more, meaningless lower division games. We've graduated beyond that point. The JMU folks are very happy now as they should be. Unless we get someone very strong, our strength of schedule just lost some luster.
02-27-2015 04:46 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

In the long run this may work out in liberty's favor. The schedule was brutal. Taking jmu off the schedule helps that 4 game stretch. I would love to find a weaker FCS school to fill the spot with.

02-27-2015 05:11 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 05:11 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  In the long run this may work out in liberty's favor. The schedule was brutal. Taking jmu off the schedule helps that 4 game stretch. I would love to find a weaker FCS school to fill the spot with.

I don't think so. The better programs want to play the better teams. LU has to much of a history playing the weaker division teams. We should and need to play the best teams we can. Playing the Big South games, minus Coastal, is enough of a weak stretch.
02-27-2015 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
Maybe Brevard would be willing to give us their trip to Southern Utah? Thats a long trip for them?
02-28-2015 12:20 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(02-28-2015 12:20 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  Maybe Brevard would be willing to give us their trip to Southern Utah? Thats a long trip for them?
Interesting find. If Brevard could be bought out, if Southern Utah agreed, it would likely have to be played in Utah as they have 5 home games including Brevard and 6 away games.
02-28-2015 12:43 PM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
Utah is a beautiful state to visit!
02-28-2015 03:15 PM
army56mike Offline

Most recent speculation I have heard is Missouri St. on 26 Sep. or Hampton on 31 Oct. Either would be fine.

It would also be nice to find a good competitive road game and buy out some DII slot as stated above. A Florida or Texas trip would be nice.
03-06-2015 10:07 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I would prefer Missouri St. The golden child of most sb posters.

03-06-2015 10:48 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

(03-06-2015 10:48 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I would prefer Missouri St. The golden child of most sb posters.

I agree. I would love to pound them into the ground and watch the Sun Belt board just go into meltdown like when we beat App State. Nothing personal against MSU.
03-06-2015 11:07 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-06-2015 10:48 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I would prefer Missouri St. The golden child of most sb posters.

Missouri State 2014 Conference 1-7, 4-8 overall.

Bring on the cubbies. would love to spank them bad and silence the Bears supporters.
03-06-2015 11:38 AM
army56mike Offline

It wouldn't silence the Bear supporters.

I would like to play Mo. St. as well. It would be nice to beat another SBC golden child. They are probably viewed as a more respected and competitive foe than Hampton.

The nice thing about Hampton is that it's an in state game on a night that could be a fun time.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 12:40 PM by army56mike.)
03-06-2015 12:37 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

We're already scheduled to pound them into oblivion the week before. If we do that, you guys winning in Springfield wouldn't impress anyone.

If the SBC were looking to just expand in Football, no one would want Missouri State. Its their basketball program that is the prize.
03-06-2015 12:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.