03-05-2015 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: Ebola Outbreak ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/1...0S20150213

Quote:Sierra Leone has locked down a neighborhood in the capital Freetown following a spike in Ebola cases, in a setback for the country hardest-hit by the virus, an official in the government response team said on Friday.

Health workers were deploying to carry out house-to-house searches in Aberdeen, a district on the tip of the Freetown peninsula where dense slums lie a stone's throw away from upscale restaurants and hotels popular with foreigners.

"There was a sudden spike in the number of cases. It's effectively a quarantine there which would typically last 21 days," said OB Sisay, director of the situation room in the National Ebola Response Centre.

The center's most recent data showed six new confirmed cases of Ebola in Aberdeen on Wednesday.

He estimated there were between 1,200 and 2,000 people in Aberdeen who had potentially come into contact with individuals infected with the disease.
03-05-2015 01:32 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(03-05-2015 01:32 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/1...0S20150213

Quote:Sierra Leone has locked down a neighborhood in the capital Freetown following a spike in Ebola cases, in a setback for the country hardest-hit by the virus, an official in the government response team said on Friday.

Health workers were deploying to carry out house-to-house searches in Aberdeen, a district on the tip of the Freetown peninsula where dense slums lie a stone's throw away from upscale restaurants and hotels popular with foreigners.

"There was a sudden spike in the number of cases. It's effectively a quarantine there which would typically last 21 days," said OB Sisay, director of the situation room in the National Ebola Response Centre.

The center's most recent data showed six new confirmed cases of Ebola in Aberdeen on Wednesday.

He estimated there were between 1,200 and 2,000 people in Aberdeen who had potentially come into contact with individuals infected with the disease.
^^^
Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:39pm EST
03-05-2015 01:34 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Thanks Obama!

/end sarcasm.
03-05-2015 01:34 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
In summarium, George W. Bush killed 10,000 people. Thankfully, it's over.
03-05-2015 01:38 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(03-05-2015 01:34 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Thanks Obama!

/end sarcasm.

Obama is far worse for America that Ebola ever could have been. That said, he did do one thing that deserves credit - sending troops to build infrastructure in Liberia. It's not really clear if that ever did, in fact, make a difference, but it clearly would have if things had spiraled out of control.
03-05-2015 02:12 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
If the racist Dick Cheney had never engaged in his covert biological warfare on the African people, we would have never had to worry about Ebola to begin with.
03-05-2015 02:34 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
7th posts and the wheels are off already...

Note that one of the best things any administration has done for Africa, the AIDS funding that George W. Bush pushed through was probably the single best, even if it had religious right undertones (pushing abstinence in favor of birth control).
03-05-2015 05:24 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Ebola Outbreak ...
Ooooh the Dark Continent!! What a money pit that has been.

Speaking of Ebola though, I thought that it is interesting that the nurse in Dallas that became infected with the virus but survived is now suing for negligence and not providing adequate training to handle this potential health crisis.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-05-2015 10:03 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-05-2015 10:03 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Ooooh the Dark Continent!! What a money pit that has been.

Speaking of Ebola though, I thought that it is interesting that the nurse in Dallas that became infected with the virus but survived is now suing for negligence and not providing adequate training to handle this potential health crisis.

That's been coming for a while. I don't blame the hospital as much as I do the CDC for having poor guidelines. Another major part of the lawsuit is that the hospital released a picture of Nina Pham in a hospital bed without her consent.
03-05-2015 11:37 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(03-05-2015 10:03 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Ooooh the Dark Continent!! What a money pit that has been.

Definitely no racism in there at all, didn't realize a continent could be dark. The whites are the ones who used up all the resources and left it damn near dry damning the African people to a rough several of centuries.
03-06-2015 12:36 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-06-2015 12:36 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  

Definitely no racism in there at all, didn't realize a continent could be dark. The whites are the ones who used up all the resources and left it damn near dry damning the African people to a rough several of centuries.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2008/...d_for.html

Quote:Originially, the term "dark continent" came into use in the 19th century to describe a continent largely unknown and mysterious to Europeans. Explorer Henry M. Stanley used it in his 1878 book, Through the Dark Continent.

In fact, it is still used today, but in context. Because of the dearth of electricity on much of the continent, satellite imaging from outer space depicts much of Africa at night as literally a dark continent. An article in The Economist last July, on how investors view Africa, refers to it as the "dark continent." "With all this concern of offending people, it is important for people to understand why and where the term exists," said Neal Weintraub, an author of four books on investing, who provided NPR The Economist example.

It's only racist if you are actively looking for racism. Perhaps a little self-reflection is in order.
03-06-2015 07:50 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

What was removed was a pittance of the total bounty that still remains in the entire continent.
03-06-2015 09:07 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-06-2015 09:07 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

What was removed was a pittance of the total bounty that still remains in the entire continent.

why not just say they don't have have the infrastructure to live like we do? they are still living in the year 1 bc/ad.......many of the flesh have perished due to ignorance....that place is still churnin' for the yearnin'.....they don't know any better.....thanks to the internutz, some there now have a clue....that's the biatch of it.....

"dammit Jim, I'm only a doctor" 03-wink
03-06-2015 10:20 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(03-06-2015 10:20 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

why not just say they don't have have the infrastructure to live like we do? they are still living in the year 1 bc/ad.......many of the flesh have perished due to ignorance....that place is still churnin' for the yearnin'.....they don't know any better.....thanks to the internutz, some there now have a clue....that's the biatch of it.....

Because infrastructure is a small part of why many places in Africa don't resemble the West or even China. What exists in those places are useful systems, ones which the majority of the population agree with and a decent number of folks willing to protect and defend to ensure the continual operation of said system.
03-06-2015 10:28 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-06-2015 10:28 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 10:20 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Because infrastructure is a small part of why many places in Africa don't resemble the West or even China. What exists in those places are useful systems, ones which the majority of the population agree with and a decent number of folks willing to protect and defend to ensure the continual operation of said system.

gonna have to help me out with the "useful" portion w/o referencing oil

if you are solely referencing tribal factions, then disregard the previous...
03-06-2015 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-05-2015 05:24 PM)I45owl Wrote:  7th posts and the wheels are off already...

I've always wondered, what if the USA reinvested massively in Liberia? Infrastructure, education, medical etc. Bring everything in Liberia up to American standards?

So let's spitball. Instead of telling us why it can't happen, what would need to happen to make this type of experiment successful?
03-06-2015 11:13 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(03-06-2015 11:13 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 05:24 PM)I45owl Wrote:  7th posts and the wheels are off already...

I've always wondered, what if the USA reinvested massively in Liberia? Infrastructure, education, medical etc. Bring everything in Liberia up to American standards?

So let's spitball. Instead of telling us why it can't happen, what would need to happen to make this type of experiment successful?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ etc etc
03-06-2015 11:37 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Dexter needs to get out of the garage more often and educate himself if daddy will allow him.
03-06-2015 12:03 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2015 10:20 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  why not just say they don't have have the infrastructure to live like we do? they are still living in the year 1 bc/ad.......many of the flesh have perished due to ignorance....that place is still churnin' for the yearnin'.....they don't know any better.....thanks to the internutz, some there now have a clue....that's the biatch of it.....

Africa's basic problem is population density. Population density in Europe (i.e. closeness of cities and the concentration of people in cities to begin with) for centuries was so much greater than most of the rest of the world that communication, commerce, research was all much easier than in other parts of the world. Pre-internet, that population density is a huge deal.
03-06-2015 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.