Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buffalo's uniform
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
Buffalo's uniform
I just saw them on TV. The uniform has "New York" on it, not "Buffalo". Syracuse is in trouble. Very smart of Buffalo to promote the school as New York's team on NCAA tournament.

Never mind. Buffalo got eliminated. No more TV exposure for them.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 05:58 AM by ArQ.)
03-20-2015 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: Buffalo's uniform
(03-20-2015 03:39 PM)ArQ Wrote:  I just saw them on TV. The uniform has "New York" on it, not "Buffalo". Syracuse is in trouble. Very smart of Buffalo to promote the school as New York's team on NCAA tournament.

Good Lord, Buffalo isn't even the #1 public school in NYS by any worthwhile metric (i.e. national/state-wide prestige or national following). They *might* be the oldest - counting their days as private, but that's pretty much it. I don't think that Buffalo and Syracuse see themselves as rivals. Buffalo's effort to copy Syracuse's "NY's Team" campaign is inconsequential, especially if you're just now discovering the campaign (it's been going on for years).

EDIT: These threads are like the threads started by people who think that ULL is going to overshadow LSU because the want to go by "Lousiana"
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 03:54 PM by nzmorange.)
03-20-2015 03:44 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(03-20-2015 03:39 PM)ArQ Wrote:  I just saw them on TV. The uniform has "New York" on it, not "Buffalo". Syracuse is in trouble. Very smart of Buffalo to promote the school as New York's team on NCAA tournament.

Yep, SU is in BIG trouble! Nothing promotes a program better than having New York on a jersey in one of the rare times that a program like Buffalo is on tv. I wonder if Louisville is in trouble from Western kentucky, because they have the name Kentucky on its jersey?
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 03:50 PM by cuseroc.)
03-20-2015 03:47 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2015 04:00 PM)ArQ Wrote:  
(03-20-2015 03:47 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Yep, SU is in BIG trouble! Nothing promotes a program better than having New York on a jersey in one of the rare times that a program like Buffalo is on tv. I wonder if Louisville is in trouble from Western kentucky, because they have the name Kentucky on its jersey?

I read that SUNY is trying to make Buffalo the flagship of SUNY system after Syracuse rejected their proposal. I think it is a mistake for Syracuse, both Michigan and Pittsburgh are successful to transform themselves from private to public. And Michigan replaces Michigan State and becomes the flagship in that state. If Syracuse has five years drought because of NCAA punishment, one of Buffalo/Stony Brook/Binghamton/Albany could rise and replace Syracuse. Especially Buffalo, there is rumor that B1G wants to help it become NY flagship using B1G money to build new stadium/dome.

03-lmfao

SUNY Buffalo, Stony Brook, Albany, SUNY ESF, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Plattsburg, SUNY Cortland, and any other SUNY that you can cook up won't overtake Syracuse athletics, and the day Buffalo plays in the Big Ten is the day the ACC gets PSU and either ND or UMD back.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:09 PM by nzmorange.)
03-20-2015 04:07 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I hope that the Big Ten spends millions of dollars on Buffalo and then takes them in expansion.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:11 PM by TerryD.)
03-20-2015 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2015 04:10 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I hope that the Big Ten spends millions of dollars on Buffalo and then takes them in expansion.

You and me both. While they're at it, I hope they keep dumping money intop the RU black hole and/or paying off UMD's creditors.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:12 PM by nzmorange.)
03-20-2015 04:11 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

I read that SUNY is trying to make Buffalo the flagship of SUNY system after Syracuse rejected their proposal. I think it is a mistake for Syracuse, both Michigan and Pittsburgh are successful to transform themselves from private to public. And Michigan replaces Michigan State and becomes the flagship in that state. If Syracuse has five years drought because of NCAA punishment, one of Buffalo/Stony Brook/Binghamton/Albany could rise and replace Syracuse. Especially Buffalo, there is rumor that B1G wants to help it become NY flagship using B1G money to build new stadium/dome.

Where did you read that, on this board from some kook making up stuff? If these kinds of rumors are floating around, dont you think SU fans would have heard them by now? Especially those of us who actually live in NY? You didnt really fall for them did you? 03-lmfao

Obviously you did since you posted it. 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:16 PM by cuseroc.)
03-20-2015 04:12 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
So basically the theme of this thread is that Clemson, Louisville and Auburn all need to put their respective state's name on their jerseys so we'll better identify them when they're on TV.

Correct?
03-20-2015 04:15 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2015 04:15 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  So basically the theme of this thread is that Clemson, Louisville and Auburn all need to put their respective state's name on their jerseys so we'll better identify them when they're on TV.

Correct?

Nope. New York has no flagship so it is for grab. There have already been South Carolina, Kentucky and Alabama.
03-20-2015 05:04 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2015 05:04 PM)ArQ Wrote:  
(03-20-2015 04:15 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  So basically the theme of this thread is that Clemson, Louisville and Auburn all need to put their respective state's name on their jerseys so we'll better identify them when they're on TV.

Correct?

Nope. New York has no flagship so it is for grab. There have already been South Carolina, Kentucky and Alabama.

Stop reading the MAC board. It isn't good for your brain. And, do you actually know what "flagship" means? I doubt it, because nobody does. It's a loose term thrown around by people on the internet.

http://diycollegerankings.com/faqs/what-...niversity/

The truth is that SUNY Buffalo isn't going to the B1G (its value proposition is way too low to be a net contributor to that conference), and SUNY Buffalo doesn't have more pull in NYS than Cornell (part public) and/or Syracuse (ESF/SUNY Upstate are de facto SU colleges), so SUNY Buffalo won't get special treatment from the NY State government at the expense of Cornell, Syracuse, the other SUNY schools, and the other private schools with embedded statuatory colleges. They can, however, put "New York" on their jerseys and fool jack nobody, just like ULL down south.

Btw, FWIW, here's wikipedia's take on the term "flagship:"
Most states in the United States provide public university education through one or more university systems. The phrase flagship institution or flagship university may be applied to an individual school or campus within each state system. The College Board, for example, defines flagship universities as the best-known institutions in the state, noting that they were generally the first to be established and are frequently the largest and most selective, as well as the most research-intensive public universities.[2] These schools are often land-grant, sea-grant, or space-grant research universities.[3] According to Robert M. Berdahl, then chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley, the phrase "flagship" came into existence in the 1950s when the Morrill Act schools were joined by newer institutions built in a wave of post-war expansion of state university systems.[4]

Berdahl notes further that because flagships are generally the oldest schools within a system, they are often the largest and best financed and are perceived as elite relative to non-flagship state schools.[4] He comments that "Those of us in 'systems' of higher education are frequently actively discouraged from using the term 'flagship' to refer to our campuses because it is seen as hurtful to the self-esteem of colleagues at other institutions in our systems. The use of the term is seen by some as elitist and boastful. It is viewed by many, in the context of the politics of higher education, as 'politically incorrect.' ... Only in the safe company of alumni is one permitted to use the term."[4] Additionally, the term flagship is widely understood to encompass only public (state-supported) universities, even in states which may contain more eminent private universities.

Nevertheless, the term "flagship university" is still used in official contexts by the U.S. Department of Education, various state university system boards of governors, and state legislatures.[5][6][7][8][9] Additionally, state universities often self-designate themselves as flagships.[10][11] Higher education agencies, research journals, and other organizations also use the term, though their lists of flagship universities can differ greatly. One list of 50 flagship universities (one per state) is employed by the Higher Education Coordinating Board,[12] the College Board,[13] the Princeton Review[14] and many other state and federal educational and governmental authorities for a variety of purposes including tuition and rate comparisons,[2][15][16] research studies[17][18][19][20] and public policy analyses.[21][22][23][24] Given the widespread use of this list, it has been described as a "nationally recognizable and accepted list of flagship universities".[25]

Despite its ubiquity, this list of 50 flagships is not the only state-by-state examination of flagships. In a 2010 article, Standard & Poor's created its own list of flagship universities, noting that each state had typically one or two institutions with flagship characteristics.[26] The Education Sector, an education policy organization, used a different list of 51 flagship universities in an August 2011 study of college debt. Several states had multiple universities categorized as flagships due to "less of a clear distinction between a single flagship and other public universities" in those states.[27] Additionally, several states were not included in the study due to insufficient comparative data.[27] There are many instances in which more than one school in a state has claimed to be, or has been described as, a "flagship".[28][29][30][31][32][33][34][35][36]

In February 2012, Idaho's State Board of Education made a controversial decision to strike the word "flagship" from the University of Idaho's mission statement.[37] The Board's President Richard Westerberg explained that this revision was made as part of the Board's many changes made to multiple Idaho universities' mission statements in an effort to ensure all statements were consistent and collegial in nature rather than comparative or competitive.[38]
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 05:29 PM by nzmorange.)
03-20-2015 05:26 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Nobody gives a crap about UB 10 miles outside of Amherst. As long as the Bills and Sabres are in town UB will be an afterthought in WNY. Syracuse owns Upstate NY and has probably the #1 BB draw in NYC. They need to work on the Football their brand downstate.
03-20-2015 05:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2015 05:29 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Nobody gives a crap about UB 10 miles outside of Amherst. As long as the Bills and Sabres are in town UB will be an afterthought in WNY. Syracuse dominates Upstate NY and has the #1 BB draw in NYC. They need to work on the Football brand downstate.

FIFY
03-20-2015 05:31 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:

You read some real stupid sh**.

When was Michigan a private university? They'd like to know.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 05:45 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-20-2015 05:38 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2015 05:38 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

They were. But long time ago. I have cousins graduated from Michigan. They are very proud of Michigan for the dual status.
03-20-2015 06:24 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(03-20-2015 05:04 PM)ArQ Wrote:  

Correct?

You really have no clue do you? You have no understanding of the SUNY system or New York in general and your posts show that.
03-20-2015 06:39 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-20-2015 06:24 PM)ArQ Wrote:  
(03-20-2015 05:38 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

They were. But long time ago. I have cousins graduated from Michigan. They are very proud of Michigan for the dual status.

No, they weren't, unless you are talking about pre 1837 that includes a "forerunner" that existed primarily on paper.

The Michigan that everyone is familiar with was created by an act of the Michigan legislature in 1837 and the state appointed its entire board with the governor acting as president. The campus at Ann Arbor was purchased by the state for the school. It was supported by tax dollars. The first college classes weren't held until 1841. It was founded as and considered a public university. There was never a transition.

All of your "info" is laughable.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 03:20 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-20-2015 07:58 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
ARQ,

Do yourself a favor and just let this thread die, for your own good.
03-20-2015 09:57 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2015 09:57 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  ARQ,

I already done that and you bump it up.
03-21-2015 05:55 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-21-2015 05:55 AM)ArQ Wrote:  
(03-20-2015 09:57 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  ARQ,

I already done that and you bump it up.

well you just bumped it up again, a day later lol.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 08:15 AM by cuseroc.)
03-21-2015 08:14 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Correct?

And I guess this needs to be done:

"The University of Notre Dame.. of Indiana."
03-21-2015 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.