Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AD Bowen - Memphis will pay $5,373 per scholarship for cost of attendance
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...e_08726098

In today's CA (Memphis paper) ->>>

Bowen said the university has determined that a cost of attendance supplement ... will be $5,373 per scholarship ...
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015 06:09 PM by TIGERCITY.)
05-24-2015 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Wow, that's a lot!
05-24-2015 06:50 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: AD Bowen - Memphis will pay $5,373 per scholarship for cost of attendance
(05-24-2015 06:50 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Wow, that's a lot!

Yes, like ECU, I'm just glad my school was also able to catch this massive and rapid rise in the costs of attending.
05-24-2015 07:15 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I like it, more AAC programs having the marbles to implement what others thought was unachievable in this league.
05-24-2015 11:35 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Some additional perspective - COA values and recruiting. The linked reports that Penn State has the highest COA in the B1G >>>

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2015/...1505210106

...When James Franklin meets with a football recruit, the Nittany Lions coach is sure to bring up the number.

He has a presentation ready to tout the team’s graduation rate, the number of Penn State players who played in the NFL and then a figure around $4,700 of which he wants prospects to be aware.

“We have one of the highest cost of attendances in the country,” Franklin said of the discrepancy between the total cost of attending the university and the amount of money awarded in a full scholarship.

“I love it. … It’s something I’m going to be able to use in recruiting. No different than when I put up the graduation rates of Penn State and every other school in the conference and then the graduation rates of Penn State and all the other schools I think we compete against nationally. I’m also able to do the same thing now with cost of attendance.”...

05-25-2015 08:21 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: AD Bowen - Memphis will pay $5,373 per scholarship for cost of attendance
Yall poors
05-25-2015 08:21 AM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

From May 23rd article - looks like these are P5 conference numbers only >>>

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/u...78554.html

... The number comes through the schools’ financial aid office – not the athletic department — and has federal oversight.

Cost of attendance (COA) will be a big part of discussion at next week’s SEC business meetings in Destin.

The figure may or may not become uniform in the future. Part of that will depend on what happens with some unresolved litigation that’s out there now.

While the difference won’t be much in most cases – Mississippi State’s is $5,154 – some recruits will no doubt look simply at the bottom line. If that becomes more than a few recruits, a recruiting advantage is born.

Bjork doesn’t believe that will be a big problem if Ole Miss and other schools communicate clearly.

“Our approach is that your campus has a formula identified by the federal government, and you’re allowed to pay those categories. When you look at it from the standpoint of our number, we’ll pay your scholarship and other areas so there’s great value there. Some will use that as a recruiting advantage. It’s our job to educate young folks on what this means,” Bjork said.

HIGHEST PAYMENTS

The largest amounts schools will be paying players to cover the cost of attendance:

Tennessee: $5,666
Auburn: $5,586
Louisville: $5,202
Miss. State: $5,126
Texas Tech: $5,100
Penn State: $4,788
TCU: $4,700
Oklahoma: $4,614
Oklahoma State: $4,560
Ole Miss: $4,500
Wisconsin: $4,316
Texas: $4,310
USC: $4,151
K. State: $4,112
Arkansas: $4,002
05-25-2015 09:01 AM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
In the end, this will be a can of worms many schools wish they had not opened.
05-25-2015 09:09 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-25-2015 09:09 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  In the end, this will be a can of worms many schools wish they had not opened.

Agreed and that's why it will be eventually become a set amount all schools will use
05-25-2015 09:15 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I think the P5 schools / conference will do something since this has resulted in an 'unintended' consequence that might hurt some P5s. That said -- a standard amount, as suggested above, means it would have to be the lowest amount / COA among the P5 schools IMO -- otherwise you run the risk of actually allocating money to athletes above their "costs." But doing those cuts now runs risks in resolving player litigation. After all, this COA idea resulted, at least in part, from the desire to give the players some of what they asked for ---
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 09:48 AM by TIGERCITY.)
05-25-2015 09:47 AM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

(05-25-2015 09:09 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  In the end, this will be a can of worms many schools wish they had not opened.

Yup. It will only get higher and higher until the non cartel can no longer compete. Then there will be separation among the P5 to where it's between 8-10 schools who have a shot each year. Tho it can be argued that part already exists.
05-25-2015 11:44 AM
Advertisement

Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
[Image: cashmoney.jpg]
05-25-2015 01:47 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I agree, it has the potential to escalate quickly and make higher level NCAA football a semi-pro activity.
05-25-2015 07:29 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Re: AD Bowen - Memphis will pay $5,373 per scholarship for cost of attendance
My disgust with college athletics continues to rise
05-25-2015 09:48 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

When the SEC talks -- we eventually do whatever they say. 03-wink Be interesting to see how they decide this one >>>

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...affec.html

... The average fan could care less about cost-of-attendance, but it's produced plenty of anxiety in athletic directors across the country. Many of those same athletic directors fought to get the measure approved in January, but now reality has set in and some have realized it's not an even playing field....

..."I think we all agree in the conference it's an issue," Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity told AL.com. "It does make a difference to some individuals; to some young men and some young women. I would hope the majority of the conference would love to see some consistency in those numbers."

Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586) offer the most money for full cost-of-attendance not only in the SEC, but in the entire country. Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs has no problems with his school's high figure. In fact, he told USA Today in February he thinks the high number should be helpful in recruiting....

...Mississippi State and Ole Miss are also in the top 10 nationally...

Georgia, meanwhile, offers $3,221, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. That's better than some -- Alabama, Texas A&M, Kentucky and Vanderbilt are all below $3,000 -- but could still put the Bulldogs at a disadvantage. Georgia football coach Mark Richt has publicly voiced concerns about the discrepancies between cost-of-attendance figures affecting recruiting.

McGarity admitted if he was "at the high end, I might not be as concerned with it."...

... Each school's financial aid office determines the full cost-of-attendance... The figures are calculated from Department of Education guidelines, but there is leeway for each school and no NCAA oversight yet...

..."I'm not sure how it's going to be solved," McGarity said, "but I know it's a topic of discussion that's alive and well."
05-26-2015 09:39 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I'm a little worried that Tulane won't offer a huge COA stipend. BC and Vanderbilt - two schools that we're oh-so similar to - have decided to not "play the game" and are offering very low stipends.
05-26-2015 09:43 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(05-25-2015 11:44 AM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  

Yup. It will only get higher and higher until the non cartel can no longer compete. Then there will be separation among the P5 to where it's between 8-10 schools who have a shot each year. Tho it can be argued that part already exists.

Georgia Tech's COA is only 1700 and they're having to host concerts to pay for it. The P5 put the cart before the horse and now they're trying to catch up. Some of them who can afford more want a uniform number that schools can "pay up to." NCSU's Yow mentioned 6k. I hope it stays as it is for some time and watch some of the entitled 5 squirm as the ECU's and Memphis' take their recruits.
05-26-2015 09:44 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
I'd love to know how this is all determined. I understand that tuition, housing and cost of books / materials covers different things at different schools but some of these variances are big red flags at "gaming the system."
05-26-2015 09:53 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

(05-25-2015 11:44 AM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  

College football has always been like this. Even schools with a great season - what's up, TCU - can get locked out for a more "established program".

The competition is so rigged that it's comedy at this point. There are a few power five schools that don't even get good attendance anymore as the fans have woken up and have gone off to do other things.

The hard part is that you cannot expand a playoff as these are supposed to be students as well as athletes.

The fact that there are 80-90 teams of 120ish that I can write off right now is kind of scary.
05-26-2015 09:55 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-25-2015 09:48 PM)shere khan Wrote:  My disgust with college athletics continues to rise

i would love for the 20 or so "megas" to go ahead and split off, go semi-pro (and have fun with those headaches) and get some sanity back to the rest of college athletics. if you are outside of that mega group, you can huff and you can puff and get oh so very close, but you'll never get through that door.

let the Bammer's and ND's and USC's go. what would be left over would be a lot saner and more fun for everybody. get the conferences back to geographical groups and negotiate the tv collectively. college athletics used to be great fun til this incredible greed ruined everything.
05-26-2015 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.