Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

David Boren,Oklahoma President puts Big 12 expansion back in news
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Story link:http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/100365/ou-president-boren-puts-possible-big-12-expansion-back-in-news
Writer mentions North Dakota as possibility. Crazy talk if you ask me. Boren mentions some of the issues that others have spoken about in regards to Big 12 issues.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 05:45 PM by baruna falls.)
06-24-2015 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: David Boren,Oklahoma President puts Big 12 expansion back in news
(06-24-2015 05:40 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Story linkhttp://espn.go.com/blog/big12

Writer mentions North Dakota as possibility. Crazy talk if you ask me.

03-lmfao
06-24-2015 05:44 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
I don't think NDSU fans even want to become FBS
06-24-2015 05:50 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
(06-24-2015 05:50 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  I don't think NDSU fans even want to become FBS

NDSU is a very interesting place. I was there for a game in 2011. No doubt there's a tremendous football culture in Fargo. The tailgating scene and game day environment were top-shelf. One of their fans introduced me to former Bill Phil Hansen. Still, there's a lot of in-state politics involved with the U of North Dakota. If NDSU gets a little something, UND does as well. While the state has a lot of money only so much will be directed towards college athletics.

Also, the Fargo Dome is basically impossible to expand. Given the weather in the Red River Valley, a dome is almost required. You can have highs in the single digits by early November.

With that said, NDSU has been a beast for ever. They were dominant at the D2 level and have owned FCS. The Bison simply win no matter what level they're at.....
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 06:05 PM by TUowl06.)
06-24-2015 06:02 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
This once and for all proves that the Big 12 DOES NOT want to expand.

Borland says that if the Big 12 adds 2 teams that the TV contract rises proportionally. Essentially there is very little cost to expanding for them.... AND YET THEY HAVENT.

In other words, they dont want to expand because they dont like their options. I will once again say that they wont expand for a couple more years and ONLY if they get shut out of the playoff.... OR... if the longhorn network turns into the B12 network.
06-24-2015 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Bowlsby (cont): "I have not gotten the indication that the majority of our presidents feel that way.
06-24-2015 06:19 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

@ChuckCarltonDMN 1m1 minute ago

Overlooked in expansion talk: Bowlsby said NCAA football oversight panel approved football title game deregulation. Now in comment phase.
06-24-2015 06:20 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-24-2015 06:07 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  Borland says that if the Big 12 adds 2 teams that the TV contract rises proportionally. Essentially there is very little cost to expanding for them.... AND YET THEY HAVENT.

That's right...but over the past 6 months or so...Big 12 leaders have seen the explosion and future estimates of what the Big Ten, SEC and even the ACC teams will be bringing in over the next decade or two...and that has caused the Big 12 to do a 180 on LOOKING at expansion options.

Remember, it was just a few months ago, that the Big 12 Commish was adamant that the Big 12 would stay at 10 teams....yet in just the last 2-3 weeks, WVU's AD admitted publicly that the Big 12 for the first time was finally looking at possible expansion...and now you have OU's President making similar PUBLIC statements.

Expansion doesn't happen overnight...and I'm sure if/when Big 12 expands, it too won't happen overnight...but there is always a starting point...and the gun has already been sounded.
06-24-2015 06:22 PM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

(06-24-2015 06:07 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  This once and for all proves that the Big 12 DOES NOT want to expand.

Borland says that if the Big 12 adds 2 teams that the TV contract rises proportionally. Essentially there is very little cost to expanding for them.... AND YET THEY HAVENT.

In other words, they dont want to expand because they dont like their options. I will once again say that they wont expand for a couple more years and ONLY if they get shut out of the playoff.... OR... if the longhorn network turns into the B12 network.

Maybe so but this is in contrast to all your other posts in recent weeks regarding expansion. If I remember correctly you were saying they would never expand because they would lose money having to divide up the TV contract with more schools. So you were wrong and that was not the case at all. This is a much different tune coming from the big12 vs what they were saying a few months ago. The wheels may be turning. Slowly
06-24-2015 06:30 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-24-2015 05:50 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  I don't think NDSU fans even want to become FBS

I was surprised by ND ST's inclusion in the espin expansion article .. .....the MWC has repeatedly turned them down I ve read...don't think the Big 12 would consider them. I will admit that they've killed it the last few years in football, and they are kind of a flag ship school or at least 2nd fiddle, but in a tiny state. the crude oil surplus in America right now puts the whole "Fargo expected to double in 20 years" quote in question though. Bad journalism? Slow news day? I don't know....odd. Anyone else? Cheers!
06-24-2015 07:03 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I now believe there is one Big12 school not interested in expanding and it's UT-Austin. Why would they? They have a good thing going with the LHN and if they win the B12, their brand gets them in the playoffs. Why add another school that could go all Baylor on them and start winning. Everyone else wants the extra cash from a CCG and even footing with the other P5. Texas already has that equal footing ans more income than they can spend on athletics.
06-24-2015 07:17 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-24-2015 07:17 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  I now believe there is one Big12 school not interested in expanding and it's UT-Austin. Why would they? They have a good thing going with the LHN and if they win the B12, their brand gets them in the playoffs. Why add another school that could go all Baylor on them and start winning. Everyone else wants the extra cash from a CCG and even footing with the other P5. Texas already has that equal footing ans more income than they can spend on athletics.

they should just go Indy and get it over with...ACC would take their Olympic sports...
06-24-2015 07:27 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-24-2015 06:22 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(06-24-2015 06:07 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  Borland says that if the Big 12 adds 2 teams that the TV contract rises proportionally. Essentially there is very little cost to expanding for them.... AND YET THEY HAVENT.

That's right...but over the past 6 months or so...Big 12 leaders have seen the explosion and future estimates of what the Big Ten, SEC and even the ACC teams will be bringing in over the next decade or two...and that has caused the Big 12 to do a 180 on LOOKING at expansion options.

Remember, it was just a few months ago, that the Big 12 Commish was adamant that the Big 12 would stay at 10 teams....yet in just the last 2-3 weeks, WVU's AD admitted publicly that the Big 12 for the first time was finally looking at possible expansion...and now you have OU's President making similar PUBLIC statements.

Expansion doesn't happen overnight...and I'm sure if/when Big 12 expands, it too won't happen overnight...but there is always a starting point...and the gun has already been sounded.

You can't compare the Big12 to the other P5, their TV contract is not based on TV markets, so adding any schools would have to bring in at least the same amount as they get now per team. The Big12 has a TV market problem, outside of the state of Texas they have zero markets, which is another reason that there is no reason to expand until current TV contract ends and when it does they must add TV markets which is why if they ever do expand it will be east not west as they have stated before.
It won't be within 5 years. Plus there is as good a chance that Texas takes OU,OSU and TT and goes to PAC
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 07:34 PM by Cubanbull.)
06-24-2015 07:33 PM
Pony94 Offline

Bob Bowlsby: No indication that a majority of Big 12 presidents currently favor expansion

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/...sion.html/
06-24-2015 07:57 PM
Eastbrook 85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU Pirates
Nothing new more of the same old same old. Big 12 never been proactive on expansion so they are where they are. In the end the wait and see approach of the majority will prevail. Longhorns aren't hurting financially and at the end of the day they drive the bus. Nothing in their best interest to expand. Big 12 could fall apart and the Longhorns along with the Sooners don't have to do anything. Status Quo will prevail. If I'm wrong the AAC gets poached of one team which is UC IMHO tops. The rest of us need to focus on building the AAC brand and at the worst find one replacement.
06-24-2015 08:46 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Man, only 1 day after O'Leary becomes UCF AD and he's already got OU president talking about expanding the Big12. O'Leary is one efficient guy
05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 08:50 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
06-24-2015 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Eastbrook 85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU Pirates
(06-24-2015 08:49 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Man, only 1 day after O'Leary becomes UCF AD and he's already got OU president talking about expanding the Big12. O'Leary is one efficient guy
05-stirthepot

Good one. GOL is da man!!!!!
06-24-2015 09:04 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(06-24-2015 08:46 PM)Eastbrook 85 Wrote:  Nothing new more of the same old same old.

Actually, for the Big 12...a lot has changed over the last 4-5 months.

4-5 months ago, Big 12 Commish said expansion (even studying expansion) wasn't even on the table.

3 weeks ago, WVU AD, first Big 12 official, admits that Big 12 expansion is now back on the table...being investigated.

Then a few days later, UCF AD tells fans that UCF is in a "sprint, not a marathon for his future destiny", and playing off words told by O'Leary, gave the impression that UCF had been in contact with some Big 12 and/or Big 12 school officials.

Today, OU President admits publicly he is for expansion of 2 teams to get back to 12.

That's a lot of movement in just a few weeks for a conf who's commish said it wasn't even a topic.

Well, now its a topic...and its obviously be considered now by multiple programs...and odds are...more will follow (doesn't mean expansion invites would be approved in the future).
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 09:06 PM by KnightLight.)
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
Boren says Big 12 would not have to cut TV $$$ pie into smaller pieces with expansion, which qualifies as news.

Bowlsby confirms pro rata clause in TV contracts would match shares if league expands. But revenue from NCAA, CFP would be split more ways.

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken Big 12 people have been adamant for months that no expansion is coming for a variety of reasons (money split, no great options available).

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken But if the Oklahoma president is saying that a 12-team model is preferable to 10, that qualifies as something different.

“I think it’s something we should strive for while we have the time, stability, all of that to look and be choosy,” Boren said. “(We) can be very selective about who we want to add. It would have to add value to the conference. I think we should.”

“How many years can this go on?” Boren said. “Finally, it just gets to be really debilitating. I worry about that. That’s something I just worry about long-term about the conference, not short term.”

“The elephant in the room remains the network south of us (Longhorn Network) that has struggled and has in a way as long as it’s there,” Boren said. “And we have done quite well with our network and if anything ever changed, it has value to it which we see. But someday, maybe we’ll get past that other problem as well. It’s a problem.”

“The contract says that our main television contract … if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally,” Boren said. “So everybody’s share stays the same. If it’s ‘X’ dollars, it stays ‘X’ dollars.

Dr. M. David Rudd @UofMemphisPres
Will be announcing new football & basketball facilities soon, stay tuned. Committed to competing at the highest level
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(06-24-2015 09:04 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
Boren says Big 12 would not have to cut TV $$$ pie into smaller pieces with expansion, which qualifies as news.

Bowlsby confirms pro rata clause in TV contracts would match shares if league expands. But revenue from NCAA, CFP would be split more ways.

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken Big 12 people have been adamant for months that no expansion is coming for a variety of reasons (money split, no great options available).

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken But if the Oklahoma president is saying that a 12-team model is preferable to 10, that qualifies as something different.

“I think it’s something we should strive for while we have the time, stability, all of that to look and be choosy,” Boren said. “(We) can be very selective about who we want to add. It would have to add value to the conference. I think we should.”

“How many years can this go on?” Boren said. “Finally, it just gets to be really debilitating. I worry about that. That’s something I just worry about long-term about the conference, not short term.”

“The elephant in the room remains the network south of us (Longhorn Network) that has struggled and has in a way as long as it’s there,” Boren said. “And we have done quite well with our network and if anything ever changed, it has value to it which we see. But someday, maybe we’ll get past that other problem as well. It’s a problem.”

“The contract says that our main television contract … if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally,” Boren said. “So everybody’s share stays the same. If it’s ‘X’ dollars, it stays ‘X’ dollars.

Dr. M. David Rudd @UofMemphisPres
Will be announcing new football & basketball facilities soon, stay tuned. Committed to competing at the highest level

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
Interesting timing on this Tweet from the Memphis president...

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken I can't tell you today whether Big 12 is expanding. But after today and revelation about TV deal, I will never trust what they say.
06-24-2015 09:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.