ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fraim vs McCabe
Monarchs Win Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Fraim vs McCabe
Harry tweeted out a link to a story about Sheriff McCabe possibly running against Mayor Fraim.

I'm a lifelong peninsula resident so to my southside friends, thoughts on this? Is Fraim a friend to ODU, what is McCabe's involvement with us? I seem to recall free throw shootouts but that's the total of my knowledge of Norfolk politics.

Thanks!
07-08-2015 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Fraim vs McCabe
McCabe is a great guy and a very generous supporter of the Monarchs.
07-08-2015 08:25 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

Wow, as a Norfolk voter that's a hard choice. I actually like both of them a lot. I know there was a push to get Bob to run for US Congress a while back.
07-08-2015 08:51 PM
ODU90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I know McCabe is a big fan of ODU Football and personal friends with BW. I have caught a couple games from his box suite and both times there were state officials in attendance.
07-09-2015 07:03 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

Wonder who Ronnie Boone would endorse....
07-09-2015 07:15 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Matters less to me as a Newport News resident, but Fraim need to go IMO. While he has good job in turning around Norfolk, he has been there way too long and there is, at the very least, a perception of cronyism. Disclaimer: I am also a proponent of term limits so while I don't disapprove of Fraim, I wouldn't vote for him on principle.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 07:22 AM by EverRespect.)
07-09-2015 07:21 AM
Advertisement

ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

Here is the article that Harry Tweeted: http://altdaily.com/features/news/7967-n...-for-mayor

McCabe would be a good mayor. Not that Fraim has been bad but it is probably time for a change. Most of the issues we have in Norfolk are with some of the dopes on City Council and not the mayor however.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 07:32 AM by ODU2K1.)
07-09-2015 07:32 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

McCabe is a HUGE ODU football fan. He has been on many, many road trips with the team as personal security for BW. Look at a lot of the post game pictures of Wilder, the sheriff is usually there somewhere in full uniform.
07-09-2015 09:44 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(07-09-2015 09:44 AM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  McCabe is a HUGE ODU football fan. He has been on many, many road trips with the team as personal security for BW. Look at a lot of the post game pictures of Wilder, the sheriff is usually there somewhere in full uniform.

Well then im all for McCabe.
07-09-2015 09:58 AM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

Bob sponsored a lot of the Big Blue BBQs
07-09-2015 02:38 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I'm interested to see McCabe's opinion on things like Startup Norfolk and the Neon district. I'm not sure how much involvement Fraim has had with those and like-minded project, but I think they've got great potential. I'd also like to see what he'd want to change from what Fraim is doing now.
07-09-2015 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

Norfolk has always been a tale of two cities.
The governing bodies have predominantly been filled by people from the "west side". The money has always flowed to downtown and west side neighborhoods. Slowly new "east side" people have infiltrated and are fighting for the entire city to be looked at.
07-09-2015 02:50 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Fraim used to be good but has stopped listening to the needs of the city and seems to only care about a very small portion of the citizens. Norfolk was on a roll for awhile, but it seems to have stalled over the last 7 or 8'years. I think Norfolk needs new blood and fresh ideas. I appreciate Fraim's service and he did some good things years ago, but it's time for him to go IMO.
07-09-2015 02:58 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Fraim has done an outstanding job of transforming Downtown, and it certainly didn't stop 7-8 years ago. We are just at the beginning of a major transformation between Granby and The Arts District. I would not want to see anything stall the exciting things that are happening in that area.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
07-09-2015 08:20 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

The arts district has been a citizens initiative led by people like Jesse Sacicia (sp?) and Drew Urgunsky at Grow. City council got on that train late, after it gained momentum. Granby St. peaked 10 years ago and other than Urban Outfitters has seen few exceptional additions. Many large businesses have left and been replaced by a few small shops. The grocery store leaving really hurt. Compare that to Town Center which has brought in a number of businesses and restaurants. I know we don't want a bunch of chain stores and the like on Granby, but some national investment wouldn't hurt. Hopefully all these apartments will fill up and bring in businesses. He also led the charge for the much too small to be any good and over priced conference center being built now, is watching while VB builds a swanky arena that will be the death bell for Scope, saw Clark Nexson leave the city, swung and missed on Stone Brewery, Waterside has been planned for rehab forever and sits idle. Worse, he supported the tolls on the tunnels, the public school system is a travesty, crime around ODU is an ongoing issue etc. Not to mention all the corruption by city workers. And I'm one who is pretty bullish on Norfolk and think it has a ton of upside. Again, not a Fraim's hater at all, just would like to see someone hungry to make things better rather than sit contently in past glory.
07-10-2015 06:58 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-10-2015 06:58 AM)monarx Wrote:  The arts district has been a citizens initiative led by people like Jesse Sacicia (sp?) and Drew Urgunsky at Grow. City council got on that train late, after it gained momentum. Granby St. peaked 10 years ago and other than Urban Outfitters has seen few exceptional additions. Many large businesses have left and been replaced by a few small shops. The grocery store leaving really hurt. Compare that to Town Center which has brought in a number of businesses and restaurants. I know we don't want a bunch of chain stores and the like on Granby, but some national investment wouldn't hurt. Hopefully all these apartments will fill up and bring in businesses. He also led the charge for the much too small to be any good and over priced conference center being built now, is watching while VB builds a swanky arena that will be the death bell for Scope, saw Clark Nexson leave the city, swung and missed on Stone Brewery, Waterside has been planned for rehab forever and sits idle. Worse, he supported the tolls on the tunnels, the public school system is a travesty, crime around ODU is an ongoing issue etc. Not to mention all the corruption by city workers. And I'm one who is pretty bullish on Norfolk and think it has a ton of upside. Again, not a Fraim's hater at all, just would like to see someone hungry to make things better rather than sit contently in past glory.

Great post! +2

I will add that the Vibrant Spaces program (led by Grow and the Downtown Council) is exactly the type of fresh ideas we need more of in Norfolk.
07-10-2015 07:25 AM
Advertisement

Monarch Blue Offline
2nd String

(07-10-2015 06:58 AM)monarx Wrote:  The arts district has been a citizens initiative led by people like Jesse Sacicia (sp?) and Drew Urgunsky at Grow. City council got on that train late, after it gained momentum. Granby St. peaked 10 years ago and other than Urban Outfitters has seen few exceptional additions. Many large businesses have left and been replaced by a few small shops. The grocery store leaving really hurt. Compare that to Town Center which has brought in a number of businesses and restaurants. I know we don't want a bunch of chain stores and the like on Granby, but some national investment wouldn't hurt. Hopefully all these apartments will fill up and bring in businesses. He also led the charge for the much too small to be any good and over priced conference center being built now, is watching while VB builds a swanky arena that will be the death bell for Scope, saw Clark Nexson leave the city, swung and missed on Stone Brewery, Waterside has been planned for rehab forever and sits idle. Worse, he supported the tolls on the tunnels, the public school system is a travesty, crime around ODU is an ongoing issue etc. Not to mention all the corruption by city workers. And I'm one who is pretty bullish on Norfolk and think it has a ton of upside. Again, not a Fraim's hater at all, just would like to see someone hungry to make things better rather than sit contently in past glory.

Good comments. I think Fraim has done an excellent job; however, his time has come and gone. It's time for change in Norfolk. I'm not sure McCabe is the guy. They need somebody with a lot of energy and drive who can bring some excitement to the city. I too am bullish on Norfolk. Tons of potential there.
07-10-2015 07:26 AM
reagan Offline
Water Engineer

As someone who lived in Norfolk for close to forty years, I will vote for anyone but Fraim. He is only concerned about downtown and the Ghent area. The rest of the city has gone down the tubes. Military Circle was once the premier shopping mall and now is ready to close. All over the rest of city the roads are terrible, the schools worse, crime on the upswing and the taxes just keep going up and up. But the worst thing is his support for the light rail. Light rail has bled and continues to bleed vast amounts of money just so his developer buddies can get rich and he can get in front of the camera and get his name on a bronze plaque. Light rail does nothing to lessen traffic and the ridership numbers are inflated because so many get to ride for "free". Of course, it is not free as taxpayers are forced to pay. For example, our water rates increase every year. But the City raids the revenues from the water fund to pay of other city services like Light Rail. There are many ways that Norfolk bleeds its citizens, especially the ones who own their homes. I can't wait to move out of Norfolk.
07-10-2015 08:21 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I am requesting a Moderator to please move this thread to Off Topic. I believe the intent of this thread was a discussion on how McCabe might affect ODU. Instead, as usual when politics is brought up, it has become a thread for people to grind their assorted axes, which should relegate it to OT territory.
07-10-2015 08:43 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Meh, not much else to talk about. Until posters start getting personal with each other, I'm ok with it.
07-10-2015 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.