Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 Commish - No 'critical mass' for expansion.
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...title-game

Well, I guess we'll see the Big 10 and SEC possibly growing.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 02:11 PM by MWC Tex.)
07-20-2015 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Big 12 Commish - No 'critical mass' for expansion.
UT and OU are as good as outta there... but UT has to find someone to worship them and their network monopoly first
07-20-2015 02:14 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-20-2015 02:14 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  UT and OU are as good as outta there... but UT has to find someone to worship them and their network monopoly first

I think I hear some scribbling sound with OU and OSU signing papers with the SEC.
07-20-2015 02:47 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(07-20-2015 02:47 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 02:14 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  UT and OU are as good as outta there... but UT has to find someone to worship them and their network monopoly first

I think I hear some scribbling sound with OU and OSU signing papers with the SEC.
Basically
07-20-2015 02:48 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Coaches' words mean nothing. And, if this is OU (and State) versus all, who's going to spot them the dough to break loose, because it won't be free...
07-20-2015 03:11 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-20-2015 03:11 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Coaches' words mean nothing. And, if this is OU (and State) versus all, who's going to spot them the dough to break loose, because it won't be free...

Oklahoma does have the money to break free, and T. Boone Pickens will put up the money for OSU to break away to join SEC. He even said so if it came down to that.
07-20-2015 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I do wonder what texas would do if OU and Ok state joined the SEC or Pac 12. I guess you could add OU and KU to the big 10 but that is more politically complicated. For the 2 departing school's, if texas stayed in the big 12 and replaced them with say colorado state and BYU, that would seem to eliminate any possible lawsuits with texas still in the big 12.
07-20-2015 03:35 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Why would Texas want to be in that conference if OU and OKSt left? It'd be marginally better than the AAC at that point.
07-20-2015 03:38 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(07-20-2015 03:11 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Coaches' words mean nothing. And, if this is OU (and State) versus all, who's going to spot them the dough to break loose, because it won't be free...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...hts-010313

And, even if this instance bucks the trend and there are calculable damages, ESPN (if OU and OSU bolt for the SEC) or FOX (if OU and KU run to the B1G) will smooth things over...
07-20-2015 03:43 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
If OU and OKST bolt, while at the same time UT and Tech head to the PAC and 2 others (Kansas and kstate?) go to the B10, it won't be expensive. It will be free right? Does 6/10 dissolve?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 03:50 PM by tigerjamesc.)
07-20-2015 03:49 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(07-20-2015 03:43 PM)YNot Wrote:  

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...hts-010313

And, even if this instance bucks the trend and there are calculable damages, ESPN (if OU and OSU bolt for the SEC) or FOX (if OU and KU run to the B1G) will smooth things over...

It's OU and OK St to the SEC over OU and KU to the B1G. About 100 to 1 odds on that.

B1G doesn't want more middling research schools, that only bring half of their respective, lower population, crimson red political states.

The question is simply what will Texas do after the Okla. schools leave the XII. Do they try to go independent in football while leaving non-football with the remaining XII teams? Or do they do something else?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 03:51 PM by MplsBison.)
07-20-2015 03:49 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
The presidents of the Big 12 schools really need to get on the same page for adding at least two schools and then put some pressure on Texas. Sure, the new schools added likely won't be as financially valuable as any existing member, so there will be more mouths to feed. However, the alternative is extinction. If the Big 12 brass want to sit on their hands and do nothing like the Big East did, then have it. But when that conference goes the way of the dodo bird, they will only have their greed to blame.

Sure, if you are Texas then you can afford to be against expansion and make sure there are fewer mouths to feed. If the Big 12 falls apart, Texas (and Oklahoma) will always find a FBS home. However, if you are Iowa State, K State, WVU, or TCU, then you don't have that luxury. Those schools are gambling their futures here. They should be afraid... very afraid.
07-20-2015 04:06 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(07-20-2015 03:49 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's OU and OK St to the SEC over OU and KU to the B1G. About 100 to 1 odds on that.

B1G doesn't want more middling research schools, that only bring half of their respective, lower population, crimson red political states.

The question is simply what will Texas do after the Okla. schools leave the XII. Do they try to go independent in football while leaving non-football with the remaining XII teams? Or do they do something else?

Personally, I still don't get why OU and OSU are tied to the hip. Is this just an assumption? Or does anyone have any links or other evidence? Would the SEC really take the two?

If OU leaves, I do think Texas seriously considers a move. They will likely want to keep the RRR and get A&M back on the schedule - that would be hard to do with 9 games in the Big 12. My guess is that the 'Horns first look to football independence with Olympic sports remaining in the Big 12. If that doesn't fly - ACC and American are both decent options that would likely have interest in a Notre Dame-style affiliation.

Regardless, the Big 12 could still easily just back fill with Houston, UCF, BYU, Cincinnati or whoever and keep its current TV contract - plus the Sugar Bowl contract - for the remaining term. It might be more difficult for the Big 12 champ to reach the CFP, but that's beyond the scope of the any GOR damages calculation or analysis. (One interesting scenario would be if Texas went partial with the American. Would the Big 12 look to the MWC to back fill? Would the AAC simultaneously look to expand into MWC territory? I don't think is happening, but interesting to review the possibilities.)
07-20-2015 04:07 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(07-20-2015 03:49 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  If OU and OKST bolt, while at the same time UT and Tech head to the PAC and 2 others (Kansas and kstate?) go to the B10, it won't be expensive. It will be free right? Does 6/10 dissolve?

It takes 75%, so everyone but two
07-20-2015 04:10 PM
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

(07-20-2015 02:10 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...title-game

Well, I guess we'll see the Big 10 and SEC possibly growing.

It really is "eat or be eaten" in this sort of game. If the Big 12 is not looking to expand, it may find itself on an unwanted diet.
07-20-2015 04:12 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(07-20-2015 04:07 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 03:49 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's OU and OK St to the SEC over OU and KU to the B1G. About 100 to 1 odds on that.

Personally, I still don't get why OU and OSU are tied to the hip. Is this just an assumption? Or does anyone have any links or other evidence? Would the SEC really take the two?

If OU leaves, I do think Texas seriously considers a move. They will likely want to keep the RRR and get A&M back on the schedule - that would be hard to do with 9 games in the Big 12. My guess is that the 'Horns first look to football independence with Olympic sports remaining in the Big 12. If that doesn't fly - ACC and American are both decent options that would likely have interest in a Notre Dame-style affiliation.

Regardless, the Big 12 could still easily just back fill with Houston, UCF, BYU, Cincinnati or whoever and keep its current TV contract - plus the Sugar Bowl contract - for the remaining term. It might be more difficult for the Big 12 champ to reach the CFP, but that's beyond the scope of the any GOR damages calculation or analysis. (One interesting scenario would be if Texas went partial with the American. Would the Big 12 look to the MWC to back fill? Would the AAC simultaneously look to expand into MWC territory? I don't think is happening, but interesting to review the possibilities.)

Of course there are no links. This is a message board of average joes throwing out their opinions. If there was a link, it would either be to another message board or it would be a link to the story being broken that the move is happening.

I assume that Okla. St will get to ride along with OU to the SEC because there's too much political interest in OSU not getting left out in the cold and at least one mega-millionaire who will throw money around to make sure it doesn't happen.

That's pretty much all I got.
07-20-2015 04:13 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I will be shocked if OSU gets into the SEC.

It simply makes no financial sense at all to give away the most valuable thing in college football (a P5 realignment slot) to a school that doesn't bring anything at all you didn't already get by bringing in OU instead of using it to go after someone like Virginia Tech or even WVU that will bring more money and viewers to your footprint.

OU is a big prize but they're not so big that they're worth giving up an expansion slot on their tagalong.

Besides, as long as Texas is stuck in the B12 (which they are until ESPN decides to let them off the LHN leash) OSU is taken care of.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 04:22 PM by 10thMountain.)
07-20-2015 04:19 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(07-20-2015 04:06 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  The presidents of the Big 12 schools really need to get on the same page for adding at least two schools and then put some pressure on Texas. Sure, the new schools added likely won't be as financially valuable as any existing member, so there will be more mouths to feed. However, the alternative is extinction. If the Big 12 brass want to sit on their hands and do nothing like the Big East did, then have it. But when that conference goes the way of the dodo bird, they will only have their greed to blame.

Sure, if you are Texas then you can afford to be against expansion and make sure there are fewer mouths to feed. If the Big 12 falls apart, Texas (and Oklahoma) will always find a FBS home. However, if you are Iowa State, K State, WVU, or TCU, then you don't have that luxury. Those schools are gambling their futures here. They should be afraid... very afraid.

I don't think the "even if" scenario is as dire as this. If Texas and Oklahoma want to bolt, there's not much that TCU, WVU or Iowa St. can do to stop them. Expanding could cause Texas or Oklahoma to leave more quickly. May as well hold on to the Big 12 media deal and Sugar Bowl contract for several years (with or without OU and UT) and continue to make good money into the 2020's - even without Oklahoma and Texas- than agree to take less over that same span.

And then, even if Oklahoma and Texas leave, the Big 12 can still backfill and expand as they see fit with the best of the AAC, MWC, BYU, etc. - because the Big 12 leftovers will grab those teams - not the other way around.

No reason to be hasty, no matter what your preferred outcome.
07-20-2015 04:20 PM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I don't think money would drive OU to the SEC, but they would go for stability. The Big12 is going down the same path the old Big East did and it will end the same way.

So, OU would be smart to head to the SEC before all the wheels fall off this wagon.
07-20-2015 04:29 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(07-20-2015 04:20 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 04:06 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  The presidents of the Big 12 schools really need to get on the same page for adding at least two schools and then put some pressure on Texas. Sure, the new schools added likely won't be as financially valuable as any existing member, so there will be more mouths to feed. However, the alternative is extinction. If the Big 12 brass want to sit on their hands and do nothing like the Big East did, then have it. But when that conference goes the way of the dodo bird, they will only have their greed to blame.

I don't think the "even if" scenario is as dire as this. If Texas and Oklahoma want to bolt, there's not much that TCU, WVU or Iowa St. can do to stop them. Expanding could cause Texas or Oklahoma to leave more quickly. May as well hold on to the Big 12 media deal and Sugar Bowl contract for several years (with or without OU and UT) and continue to make good money into the 2020's - even without Oklahoma and Texas- than agree to take less over that same span.

And then, even if Oklahoma and Texas leave, the Big 12 can still backfill and expand as they see fit with the best of the AAC, MWC, BYU, etc. - because the Big 12 leftovers will grab those teams - not the other way around.

No reason to be hasty, no matter what your preferred outcome.

Oklahoma's president is on record as being in favor of expansion, though:
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/boren-says...08076.html

Plus, I really doubt that Texas would leave because of two more mouths to feed. If the day comes that Texas decides to leave, it will be about getting significantly more money and about their ego regarding their perceived standing in the world of college sports.

The Big East wasn't hasty either.... that movie didn't end too well.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 04:39 PM by UConnHusky.)
07-20-2015 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.