Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Luck speaks the truth about West Virginia conference realignment options
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Luck speaks the truth about West Virginia conference realignment options
http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/connec...Brawl17619

Oliver Luck says WVU had no shot at getting invited to ACC.

"ACC was never an option...all you have to do is go back and look at the history of the ACC and WVU’s history with the Southern Conference"

"WVU....was never invited,” said Luck. “When the most recent discussions were taking place, there was zero opportunity with the ACC – none.”

Luck also says WVU was never a candidate for the Big Ten...and WVU was a possible "maybe" if MIzzou passed on SEC
08-02-2015 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Luck speaks the truth about West Virginia conference realignment options
08-02-2015 09:45 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/...ig-12-move

From the ESPN link:

"At least one report placed Pittsburgh on the supposed "Big 12 short list."

West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck saw it, and thus began the Mountaineers' road to the Big 12.

"If Pitt is on the short list, there’s no reason that West Virginia shouldn’t be on the Big 12 short list," Luck told ESPN.com. "That’s when, to myself, I began to think, because normally, you don’t think Big 12 and Pittsburgh. You don’t think Big 12 and West Virginia.

"I remember saying to myself and saying to my wife, 'If that story was accurate, and Pitt used that as leverage to get in the ACC,' I remember thinking: Well, this is certainly a possibility.”
"

Oliver Luck did a tremendous job getting WVU into a P5 Conference. Not one reason to hate on him or them for making the move. This quote from the same article says it all and can be verified by several schools:

""It’s much easier to stay in than get knocked out and try to get back in," Luck said."
08-02-2015 09:46 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

Yes, Big 12 was their only option. There are some Twitter parasites out there like the "dude" that has said all these years that WVU rejected a B1G invite (lol) and a bunch of other dumb stuff.

When the truth comes out, it is good to share the real truth. That helps people know what the real truth was of the past and to better guide thoughts for future realignment discussions.

If the Big 12 imploded, WVU may find it hard to land into a major conference (B1G, ACC, SEC, Pac 12).
08-02-2015 09:59 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I just assumed this was common knowledge.

Who has ever hated on Luck for steering WVU into the Big 12? It was the only option they had and he landed it. Good for him!

Pitt absolutely played the B12 and it forced the ACC's hand. He is absolutely right.

Somewhat remarkably, the Mountaineers were even chosen ahead of Louisville and it's monstrous athletics budget. I think that's fairly remarkable navigating, TBH.

Where I think Luck/WVU screwed up BIG TIME was in failing to insist on bringing in other programs along with them. They would have had so much more power as part of a consortium of schools than they ever will as a lone Eastern wolf.

People can call that Monday Morning Quarterbacking but that was EXACTLY what Pitt did with the B12. Pitt's counterproposal to the B12's membership offer was to come as part of a three team package - along with West Virginia and either Louisville or Rutgers.

I firmly believe that the B12 was going to go for it - presumably with WVU and UofL - but it never happened because the ACC then stepped in and the rest is history.

The ACC is far from perfect but it sure beats the alternative, which for us would have been the B12. I'm sure WVU feels the same way, except their choices were the B12 or the AAC.

Their situation pretty much sucks. They always try to sugar coat it and puff out their chests but its absurd. Their CLOSEST road game is 1,000 miles away and in a radically different part of the country culturally. That's no fun - especially when all of your historical rivals are still playing each other.

However, do you think Cincinnati or Connecticut would change places with the Mountaineers if given the opportunity? In a New York second.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 10:35 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
08-02-2015 10:18 PM
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Oliver Luck saved WVU. They beat out Louisville for their golden ticket. The rest is history. He is such a remarkable man, and was truly a giant among college administrators. He also stated that WVU's athletic status would be imperiled if WVU didn't get into a major conference. We can see with the money divide how that is so true. Going forward and for the next 50 years, there will only be 65 teams that the country cares about. WVU had a giant in their midst and it sure paid off.
08-02-2015 10:20 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-02-2015 10:18 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I just assumed this was common knowledge.

Who has ever hated on Luck for steering WVU into the Big 12? It was the only option they had and he landed it. Good for him!

Pitt absolutely played the B12 and it forced the ACC's hand. He is absolutely right.

Somewhat remarkably, the Mountaineers were even chosen ahead of Louisville and it's monstrous athletics budget. I think that's fairly remarkable navigating, TBH.

Where I think Luck/WVU screwed up BIG TIME was in failing to insist on bringing in other programs along with them. They would have had so much more power as part of a consortium of schools than they ever will as a lone Eastern wolf.

How could Luck have 'insisted' on that? Only the party with more power can insist on things, and WVU needed the Big 12 far more than vice-versa.
08-02-2015 10:22 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(08-02-2015 10:18 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Who has ever hated on Luck for steering WVU into the Big 12?

Nobody. It's about providing the real truth through Luck to counter all of the lies the likes of Mhver3 and the Dude have said on Twitter about WVU all of these years.
08-02-2015 10:24 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
The Big 12 should have taken both WVU and Louisville, even if Louisville had to come a year later. Some of us were SCREAMING for such. Thanks, Deloss.
08-02-2015 10:26 PM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Luck was a godsend for WV. The only thing that is a bit hard to figure, is why B12 went for them over UL.
08-02-2015 10:26 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-02-2015 10:24 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 10:18 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Who has ever hated on Luck for steering WVU into the Big 12?

Ft
Nobody. It's about providing the real truth through Luck to counter all of the lies the likes of Mhver3 and the Dude have said on Twitter about WVU all of these years.

The Dude of wvu said wvu turned fown the big ten and ACC i think right?
08-02-2015 10:33 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-02-2015 10:33 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 10:24 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  

Ft

The Dude of wvu said wvu turned fown the big ten and ACC i think right?

No. There are a lot of things that can be said about the Dude, but he wasn't one of those saying WVU was going to the SEC or that WVU had invites everywhere.
08-02-2015 10:50 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-02-2015 10:26 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Luck was a godsend for WV. The only thing that is a bit hard to figure, is why B12 went for them over UL.

Because they are a better program with a lot more attention paid to them nationwide. It would still be the same decision even though 2011 was before UL went to the college world series, before they had been to a BCS game and before their most recent basketball championship.

WVU from 1998-2012 won more BCS bowl games than the ENTIRE ACC. They won games over Oklahoma, Georgia and Clemson.
08-02-2015 10:52 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-02-2015 10:26 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  The Big 12 should have taken both WVU and Louisville, even if Louisville had to come a year later. Some of us were SCREAMING for such. Thanks, Deloss.

The ACC sez thanks! 03-lmfao
08-02-2015 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(08-02-2015 10:22 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  How could Luck have 'insisted' on that? Only the party with more power can insist on things, and WVU needed the Big 12 far more than vice-versa.

Because that was not a normal conference expansion and the Big 12 did not have nearly as much leverage as people retrospectively assume they did.

Chuck Neinas did a phenomenal job of puffing out his chest and posturing. A lot of people bought into his bravado. Don't you remember? Within the span of like four or five months, they went from a league that was on deaths door to one that was going to raid the ACC of its top programs just because. It made no sense to anyone who was following the process and had a basic command of mathematics and demographics. And yet a helluva lot of people bought into it.

However, the truth was that league had just lost a bunch of teams and was in danger of circling the drain. In fact, it would have gone bye-bye had ESPN not stepped in with a sweetheart television deal for Texas.

The Big 12 then approached the trio of Arkansas, Notre Dame, and Pitt to gauge their interest. Arkansas and Notre Dame quickly declined their overtures but Pitt did not. Instead, the Panthers brass opened more dialogue with the Big 12.

However, Pitt's counter-offer was that it insisted that if it was going to join that league, it needed partners to come along with it. Pittsburgh did not want to be the Eastern outlier in a Great Plains league. That's pretty smart if you ask me.

The B12 was mulling over the Panthers' counterproposal when the ACC stepped forward and rendered the negotiation moot. I firmly believe the B12 would have accepted Pitt's proposed trio of Pitt, West Virginia, and Louisville. In fact, I have no doubt they would've agreed to that arrangement. Remember, at the time the SEC was also still in expansion mode. That gave WVU and Louisville some added leverage. Their additions also would've been a nice PR win for a league that was in desperate need of good public relations.

The problem Pitt had was that West Virginia felt at the time, and so did Louisville, that they still had a chance to get into the SEC. Obviously the SEC was higher on each school's wish list than the Big 12.

What I don't know is where the process changed? Why, when Pitt withdrew from consideration, did West Virginia not partner directly with Louisville and add a third school – perhaps Cincinnati – and propose that trio instead?

I think the accepted conventional wisdom is that when the SEC settled on Missouri, that stripped West Virginia and Louisville of all leverage. There's unquestionably a lot of truth to that. However, I'm not sure it removed all of their leverage like they assumed. I just have a hard time believing that any single school that was still on the board is more attractive than the above trio of West Virginia, Louisville, and Cincinnati. I believe the Big 12 would have taken that deal had those schools hung together.

Who would be more valuable than the trio?

UConn?

BYU?

UCF?

ECU?

Their options were obviously limited – which is why they still haven't expanded past WVU.

Luck is a very intelligent man, there is no question about that. However, he has an outsized ego and sometimes it gets the best of him. That was one such instance. Instead of him and Jurich – another notorious egotist – working furiously to one up each other, they should've been forging a partnership to force the Big 12's hand.

Fate intervened on Louisville's behalf and they ended up in a better situation anyway. However, it should've never come to that.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 12:19 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
08-02-2015 11:33 PM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU Marshall
Nebraska needs to trade WVU spots in B1G or Notre Dame go all in with the addition of WVU in ACC. Big 12 has great football programs but I think WVU jumps ship first chance they get.
08-02-2015 11:51 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(08-02-2015 11:51 PM)polkhigh Wrote:  Nebraska needs to trade WVU spots in B1G or Notre Dame go all in with the addition of WVU in ACC. Big 12 has great football programs but I think WVU jumps ship first chance they get.

What?
08-02-2015 11:56 PM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU Marshall
(08-02-2015 11:56 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 11:51 PM)polkhigh Wrote:  Nebraska needs to trade WVU spots in B1G or Notre Dame go all in with the addition of WVU in ACC. Big 12 has great football programs but I think WVU jumps ship first chance they get.

What?

As in Nebraska back to Big 12 (where they belong) and WVU in B1G playing Maryland, Penn State, and Rutgers again and Ohio State just next door. Or WVU and former Big East affiliate Notre Dame become full members of the ACC making it a 16 team conference and reunite with former Big East members Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Miami. The rest off the ACC is pretty much old conference mates from the old Southern days..... seriously "What?"... When WVU fans talk among each other we all like the Big 12 but it isn't a good fit.
08-03-2015 12:44 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
After this year, USF will be the most valuable non-P5 program. 05-mafia
08-03-2015 12:53 AM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(08-03-2015 12:44 AM)polkhigh Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 11:56 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

What?

As in Nebraska back to Big 12 (where they belong) and WVU in B1G playing Maryland, Penn State, and Rutgers again and Ohio State just next door. Or WVU and former Big East affiliate Notre Dame become full members of the ACC making it a 16 team conference and reunite with former Big East members Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Miami. The rest off the ACC is pretty much old conference mates from the old Southern days..... seriously "What?"... When WVU fans talk among each other we all like the Big 12 but it isn't a good fit.

With Maryland in the ACC, WVa had no chance in Hell of getting in to the ACC because MD always hated them and viewed them as an existential threat all the way back to 1952. They would play them for the crowd, but not allow them in the conference.

This quote from Luck is well beyond what I ever thought he would say:

"While Luck is aware of the options he had at his disposal, he’s also aware that there are those out there that still believe another conference that was a better geographic fit was a very real opportunity. Luck may not have said it, but I will. It was the Big 12 or it would have been the American Athletic Conference. To think there was something better is foolish, particularly those who still want to believe that the ACC was actually an option or that other conferences were just waiting for us so they could pounce at the right time.

It wasn’t the case. Luck said as much.

“I think it’s accurate to say the ACC was never an option and all you have to do is go back and look at the history of the ACC and WVU’s history with the Southern Conference. The ACC changed its membership four or five times and never was WVU in the discussion and never invited,” said Luck. “ … When the most recent discussions were taking place, there was zero opportunity with the ACC – none.”

For those too young to remember the Southern Conference that formed in 1921 was what became the SEC and ACC. After the SEC 13 left in 1933 because 23 teams were too much, the remaining SoCon schools invited a number of "little buddies" after UVa left the conference in 1936, aggrieved over UNC's cheating.

The conference was stable until 1950 when the smaller schools were able to get West Virginia into the SoCon.

An immediate fight over bowl games occurred and the defacto ACC Commissioner - VT's president, ruled no bowl games. MD had a top 5 program at the time, Duke still had a top 20 program, and Clemson and UNC were used to going to the Rose, Orange, Cotton, and Sugar Bowl.

All this is happening while MD is playing for the mythical national championship at the time. Md orchestrated the pullout in 1953 with Clemson, Duke and South Carolina. Once those four agreed, they contacted UNC and NC State and both had no choice but to go with them, because the nearest SEC schools UGA, GT, and Tennessee were nearly 12 hours away by train.

UNC and NC State wanted WF, who joined the SoCon in 1937, as WF was them located near those two 15 miles northeast of Raleigh, not Winston Salem, and had a better football stadium than NC State.

Animosity toward VT was high, but VT was somewhat under the gun because of a football scandal at William and Mary so he could be forgiven by some of the schools. Virginia elected officials were putting pressure on VT due to what was happening at W&M, so VT felt they had to set an example.

Animosity toward WVa was high because they voted for the ban after just getting into the conference.

MD talked UVa into rejoining the group and they were the first expansion - making a total of 8 and they were immediately able to vote. UNC then made a motion to "forgive" and invite VT but the motion died 4-4 - MD, UVa, Clemson, and SC being against. UVa did not want in-state competition.

UNC's Chancellor then made a motion to add West Virginia and the motion died for lack of a second.

Now keep in mind that getting to Blacksburg or Morgantown in the winter, back in the 1950's was no picnic as both were on the other side of the Blue Ridge.

When the ACC was smaller in number, it only took as few as two schools to keep a new school blackballed. Between MD and UVa, WVa had no chance in Hell.

At the present number - 15 - it takes 4 votes to blackball. UVa has not changed it's stance on WVa seeing them as competition for athletes that can't get enrolled at UVa. Duke, WF, and GT have qualms about WVa's admissions standards. (Yes we know UNC is hypocritical in all this but for now just ignore that).

Here are the current issues between WVa and the ACC as a whole that are new due to expansion politics:

WVa will never be the 16th ACC school, because that 16th school has to be an approved ND playing partner (meaning ND wants them) substantial enough for ND to play more ACC games.

VT, Pitt, UVa, and Louisville are all present across the DMA's in Kentucky, DC, Va, Western Pa, and part of West Virginia due to the odd shape of WVa. Other than the Charleston DMA, ACC schools have a place in the other WVa DMA's. They now add very little to the ACC "footprint".
08-03-2015 03:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.