Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Life in the G5
Bookmark and Share
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Life in the G5
You can get a nice feel for it this afternoon on ESPNU, Charlotte at Georgia State.

It's a pathetic excuse to pretend this is FBS football.

Judge Judy is on CBS, better entertainment.
09-04-2015 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
RE: Life in the G5
(09-04-2015 04:01 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  You can get a nice feel for it this afternoon on ESPNU, Charlotte at Georgia State.

Yet, some at JMU and Liberty are desperate for that very experience.
09-04-2015 04:08 PM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
Charlotte's very young program beat gsu. Bwahahaha
09-04-2015 06:13 PM
tribe_pride Offline
1st String

Why do you guys care so much? Enjoy our time in FCS but I have never understood the reason people like to bash the other schools who are or want to go to different places.

Also, GSU is basically winless against all D-I competition and Charlotte is new themselves. Not good comparisons to your average G5 program.
09-04-2015 09:48 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I care because Georgia State fans are a bunch of jackasses and I enjoy watching their team lose as they struggle to manage even a passable crowd
09-04-2015 11:41 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

(09-04-2015 09:48 PM)tribe_pride Wrote:  Why do you guys care so much? Enjoy our time in FCS but I have never understood the reason people like to bash the other schools who are or want to go to different places.

Also, GSU is basically winless against all D-I competition and Charlotte is new themselves. Not good comparisons to your average G5 program.

Because G5 is so often painted as the promised land by those in FCS. LOL.
09-05-2015 07:05 AM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

(09-04-2015 09:48 PM)tribe_pride Wrote:  Why do you guys care so much? Enjoy our time in FCS but I have never understood the reason people like to bash the other schools who are or want to go to different places.

I am not bashing either JMU or Liberty. There are plenty of fun reasons to bash JMU already. FCS is plenty enjoyable for me.
09-05-2015 07:08 AM
Tribal Offline

I hold no ill will toward any former conference mate except GA State. If you spent a minute on the old canzone you know why. That delusional fan base deserves their 1-27 record and total embarrassment of a program.
09-05-2015 01:08 PM
tribe_pride Offline
1st String

Was thinking you guys were talking about all of G5. Am fine with ripping on Georgia State
09-05-2015 02:04 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Life in the G5
If anyone's looking for some schadenfreude go visit the ODU-EMU game feed thread on the ODU board.
09-05-2015 03:17 PM
Dr. Ebirt Offline
Bench Warmer

You would think they had just beaten Baylor.
09-06-2015 12:57 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(09-04-2015 04:08 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 04:01 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  You can get a nice feel for it this afternoon on ESPNU, Charlotte at Georgia State.

If you were a member of the Big South, and just saw your number one, and only true rival, receive a FBS invite, when your facilities/attendance and more were superior, you would be peeved, not desperate to escape the BSC. The Big South, with Monmouth being a rental, will be in even a more dangerous position with it's automatic bid when Coastal leaves.

If most Tribe fans want to play in and enjoy the FCS, then more power to you. If Liberty or JMU, or even GaSt want FBS then accept it if those schools have different desires. Poking at Liberty and JMU for desiring FBS seems like sour grapes. GaSt is a train wreck that should have had some level of FCS success before moving up, and because of that, it will take them longer to succeed.
09-06-2015 10:23 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

(09-06-2015 10:23 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

If you were a member of the Big South, and just saw your number one, and only true rival, receive a FBS invite, when your facilities/attendance and more were superior, you would be peeved, not desperate to escape the BSC. The Big South, with Monmouth being a rental, will be in even a more dangerous position with it's automatic bid when Coastal leaves.

If most Tribe fans want to play in and enjoy the FCS, then more power to you. If Liberty or JMU, or even GaSt want FBS then accept it if those schools have different desires. Poking at Liberty and JMU for desiring FBS seems like sour grapes. GaSt is a train wreck that should have had some level of FCS success before moving up, and because of that, it will take them longer to succeed.

Sorry that it is a touchy subject. Despite our differences on the field, it is good for the different schools in the Commonwealth to be successful. I just happen to think that some of the desire to go FBS is a little delusional. The Tribe will do what is best for its programs as will all the other schools. The landscape has dramatically changed to where there might not be anything to gain by going to G5. That is my only point. If a school does not have a seat at the P5 table(and Liberty, ODU, App St, JMU, GA Southern, Coastal etc. have no shot at that at all), they are expending many millions of dollars for a limited shot at the Weed Eater Bowl. In the next 5 years, there is a much greater likelihood that the existing G5 conferences(including all of the ones the Flames' fans and Dukes' fans covet) are left in a FCS like championship grouping for football with the top 3-4 FCS conferences(the CAA is likely to be one of those, the Big South probably not). So, a school moves up for 2-3 years only to fall back to where they are now. But, it all other sports, rivalries are destroyed, travel costs dramatically increase, and exposure is non-existent. The Big South has been a good conference for Liberty in all sports as has the CAA for W&M and JMU. But, I am sure a totally spread out MAC, Sunbelt or Conference USA would be much better.....
Liberty, W&M and JMU will all be successful moving forward. I just tire of the angst from the fans desperate for something else and missing what is right in front of them. We will see you in November on the basketball court and perhaps in football that month as well.
09-10-2015 03:32 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(09-10-2015 03:32 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 10:23 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

Sorry that it is a touchy subject. Despite our differences on the field, it is good for the different schools in the Commonwealth to be successful. I just happen to think that some of the desire to go FBS is a little delusional. The Tribe will do what is best for its programs as will all the other schools. The landscape has dramatically changed to where there might not be anything to gain by going to G5. That is my only point. If a school does not have a seat at the P5 table(and Liberty, ODU, App St, JMU, GA Southern, Coastal etc. have no shot at that at all), they are expending many millions of dollars for a limited shot at the Weed Eater Bowl. In the next 5 years, there is a much greater likelihood that the existing G5 conferences(including all of the ones the Flames' fans and Dukes' fans covet) are left in a FCS like championship grouping for football with the top 3-4 FCS conferences(the CAA is likely to be one of those, the Big South probably not). So, a school moves up for 2-3 years only to fall back to where they are now. But, it all other sports, rivalries are destroyed, travel costs dramatically increase, and exposure is non-existent. The Big South has been a good conference for Liberty in all sports as has the CAA for W&M and JMU. But, I am sure a totally spread out MAC, Sunbelt or Conference USA would be much better.....
Liberty, W&M and JMU will all be successful moving forward. I just tire of the angst from the fans desperate for something else and missing what is right in front of them. We will see you in November on the basketball court and perhaps in football that month as well.
The one difference for Liberty is they covet the very highest levels of the FBS. I know it sounds almost ludicrous but LU desires, and openly states they want to be P5. It will not happen soon and will take a very long. Years and years. It will take years and much to happen to change for the university.

But the fact is that is what the school desires. Will the FCS to FBS be a huge step. Yes. But where Coastal or App St may desire to graduate to the CUSA or maybe the AAC, do they realistically have a chance to go beyond that? Liberty, once they can shed more of their past baggage, win more profile games, upgrade the current academic reality and perception, grow the on-campus student body, and have the online program become a more accepted method of learning, LU will be positioned to reach the higher goals of the P5, with one remaining exception.

The school can continue to carry it flagship moniker and brand but it must be wiser in actions and stances in high profile, national news story mentions. Bringing Bernie Saunders to speak like Trump, Palin, Perry, and other high profile political figures bring importance and awareness to the school. The continual mention of the Monmouth poltical poll on all the major networks brings public awareness without being offensive.

What the school must do as it upgrades it's academics and perception as mentioned above, is it must be wiser in it's high profile decisions. Hiring Bob McDonald as an instructor was a bad idea. Worse was hiring Matt Staver as dean of the law school. Staver is way too right wing and righteous and McDonald was an accused and later a convicted felon. The school has yet to recognize choices like that effect the current perception of the university and reminds others of past leadership blunders.

Lastly, with the schools resources, and overt desire, as it slowly shakes off the past bad decisions, and slowly increases it's perception, and wins big games, so will it's appeal. If one really ponders it, the school is positioned in the future for the big time. Well beyond the FCS and beyond the low level and mid level FBS. Will it take time, absolutely. The question is not will it happen or not. The question is when.
09-10-2015 08:28 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Crap...clicked the wrong forum!

[Image: arsenio.gif]
09-11-2015 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: Life in the G5
(09-11-2015 01:04 PM)panama Wrote:  Crap...clicked the wrong forum!

Your gif won't open on my phone...spam blocker seems to be working very well. I'm sure it's something very cute.

How's that 3 year plan in the #4 recruiting state and the big city working out? I didn't see the score...you guys must have steamrolled the FBS start-up in Charlotte, huh?
09-11-2015 02:09 PM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

(09-11-2015 02:09 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 01:04 PM)panama Wrote:  Crap...clicked the wrong forum!

Your gif won't open on my phone...spam blocker seems to be working very well. I'm sure it's something very cute.

How's that 3 year plan in the #4 recruiting state and the big city working out? I didn't see the score...you guys must have steamrolled the FBS start-up in Charlotte, huh?

Ga State would be favored to beat Rhode Island from our league. Perhaps Elon as well. Maybe.....
09-11-2015 04:35 PM
Tribal Offline

I don't think GA State could beat themselves in a scrimmage, even in the Dome.

Rhody, maybe. Elon would beat the Panthers by 3 TDs.
09-11-2015 06:00 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

App State now in Sunbelt, living the dream, being steamrolled by Clemson 31-0 at the half.
09-12-2015 01:39 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

All these Sun Belt teams desperate for attention - yet none received near the press that Jacksonville State did last week.
09-18-2015 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.