Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TU v NM Observations
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
TU v NM Observations
Stats - are on the right

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/news/2015/...52125.aspx

Again 600 yds offense and had a good sucess on 3rd downs.

An important stat to me is that we outgained an opponent on the ground that is a run first option team - that is very, very nice.

On a side note - the radio said that both Craig Suits and Jeremy Smith were held out, so we had two reserves playing in their place. Two of our better defenders not suiting up is an even better indication of how well we played and how well the defensive staff coached.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 10:07 AM by rabidTU2.)
09-13-2015 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: TU v NM Observations
The offensive line was improved but there were several........and I do mean several important plays(3rd downs) where it was hard to believe they left a defensive lineman run untouched directly at the QB......I was scratching my head with disbelief.......two consecutive drives, deep in NM territory, ended the same way.......the nose tackle was totally ignored and he reached the QB the same time as our back did.......just unbelievable!!!!!! We got a field goal one of those times. We won and I couldn't be happier.....any road win is great but we definitely should have had two more TD's at least. I don't want to knock our defense after watching Tulane's defense......Triple option to the outside, sometimes Tulane didn't have anyone defending either the QB or pitchman.....then after about 10 times of that, a defender came out and took the pitchman when the QB still had the ball running downfield for 20 yds......they never figured it out......I don't think I've ever seen a defense that bad!!!!
09-13-2015 12:13 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 12:13 PM)jfisher Wrote:  The offensive line was improved but there were several........and I do mean several important plays(3rd downs) where it was hard to believe they left a defensive lineman run untouched directly at the QB......I was scratching my head with disbelief.......two consecutive drives, deep in NM territory, ended the same way.......the nose tackle was totally ignored and he reached the QB the same time as our back did.......just unbelievable!!!!!! We got a field goal one of those times. We won and I couldn't be happier.....any road win is great but we definitely should have had two more TD's at least. I don't want to knock our defense after watching Tulane's defense......Triple option to the outside, sometimes Tulane didn't have anyone defending either the QB or pitchman.....then after about 10 times of that, a defender came out and took the pitchman when the QB still had the ball running downfield for 20 yds......they never figured it out......I don't think I've ever seen a defense that bad!!!!

I'm sure you meant New Mexico in that, not Tulane - I make that same mistake all the time - worse than you I'm sure.

I didn't "view" the game, just listened to the description of the game through Bruce/Rick. Since you did see it, feel free to give any other thoughts - for informations sake. Thanks jfisher.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:08 PM by rabidTU2.)
09-13-2015 01:08 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

BTW. I think working against the NM offense will help us down the line against the US Naval Academy - a home game this year. The kids will now know their assignments and have an idea of the speed of an option oriented offense - although I'm pretty sure Navy's option offense will be more efficient than the Lobos.

Our kick game seems to be improving and that should help us later on. I was worried about the missed FG against FAU, but evidently Robert Redford came through er, I mean Redford Jones. Just kidding! :)
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:17 PM by rabidTU2.)
09-13-2015 01:15 PM
Advertisement

TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
Tulsa O-line was very inconsistent at times releasing defensive players directly into the back field. But that is correctable. Other than Dane missing on some long down field passes, couldn't ask for more at this point in the season. Tulsa has the potential to get even better. Well it has to for conference season.
09-13-2015 01:16 PM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 01:15 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  BTW. I think working against the NM offense will help us down the line against the US Naval Academy - a home game this year. The kids will now know their assignments and have an idea of the speed of an option oriented offense - although I'm pretty sure Navy's option offense will be more efficient than the Lobos.

Our kick game seems to be improving and that should help us later on. I was worried about the missed FG against FAU, but evidently Robert Redford came through er, I mean Redford Jones. Just kidding! :)

I am more worried about Tulsa's problems in the red zone. Terribly inconsistent there! Has to get better.03-banghead
09-13-2015 01:20 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Rabid......I was talking about Tulane, which I watched before our game.....you couldn't believe it........it was like they had never seen the triple option in their life or the coach's life......Navy would have scored a 100 points on them. Our defense has a lot of room for improvement but it's great compared to Tulane's!!!!
09-13-2015 06:05 PM
Advertisement

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 06:05 PM)jfisher Wrote:  Rabid......I was talking about Tulane, which I watched before our game.....you couldn't believe it........it was like they had never seen the triple option in their life or the coach's life......Navy would have scored a 100 points on them. Our defense has a lot of room for improvement but it's great compared to Tulane's!!!!

Sorry. Thought you were referring to our game. Did you watch them play - who was it(?) Georgia Tech?

BTW I think we'll beat Tulane AND SMU, but we need to get a couple more wins to reach the 6 needed to go bowling. ULM should be one of them. Going to a bowl the first year would be a great accomplishment for this new staff.
09-13-2015 07:45 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think we have a decent chance at a bowl game......we are bound to hit a team or two that aren't playing their best that weekend. I don't care who we play, we have a chance to score a lot of points......we just have to outscore them!!! I even think we'll score on OU........and I mean more than 7-10 points!! No, I don't think we will win but if they don't take us seriously it might be lot closer than people think. I'm afraid, since OU had a big time scare this past weekend, they might come out with fire in their eyes.
09-13-2015 09:49 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
At least OU did win (great game btw). If they'd lost they would probably come out pretty mad against us and that's never a good thing.
09-14-2015 09:44 AM
Advertisement

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 09:49 PM)jfisher Wrote:  I think we have a decent chance at a bowl game......we are bound to hit a team or two that aren't playing their best that weekend. I don't care who we play, we have a chance to score a lot of points......we just have to outscore them!!! I even think we'll score on OU........and I mean more than 7-10 points!! No, I don't think we will win but if they don't take us seriously it might be lot closer than people think. I'm afraid, since OU had a big time scare this past weekend, they might come out with fire in their eyes.

IMO we have a 50-50 chance at this point of bowling. We have to win those games we now are expected to - ULM/SMU/Tulane and one other. The good news is that we get some of those teams at home beginning with Houston. UCF is another one that now appears winnable and we played so well against the option offense at NM, we may have a shot at Navy here. East Carolina, Memphis and Cincinnati are still good teams IMO and will be problematic.

But I'd rather be 2-0 like we are than some of the others.

We have to beat Tulane and SMU or there's probably no chance at a bowl. That SMU game is critical and I want everyone to think about going to it - the close drive to Dallas. I'd love to have a group of fans like we had in the Armed Forces Bowl when it was played at SMU in 2011. The team needs our support in these crucial games. Its October 31st btw.

IMO
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 12:42 PM by rabidTU2.)
09-14-2015 12:38 PM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

Four more wins isn't that far away! Even three weeks ago most wouldn't have been saying that.
09-14-2015 01:36 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
I think ECU looks more winnable now also, kind of like the UCF game. It would be awesome if we won both of those.
09-14-2015 03:24 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

From their message board. Hope this goes thru.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/forumdispla...216843ae02

click "forum" at top, then "Davies Den"
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 05:32 PM by rabidTU2.)
09-14-2015 05:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.