Toledo
11-02-2015 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: 19 teams left in national championship hunt
Florida is tier 1. If they win out, they are SEC champions at 12-1. That gets them in period.

Alabama if Ole Miss loses will be tier 1 as well.
11-02-2015 06:20 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
I'd actually put Memphis in tier 2. Can you leave the Tigers out if they go undefeated and Ole Miss wins the SEC?
11-02-2015 06:24 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
It may be premature to rule out P5 teams with 2 losses.

Mich, for example, could win out, beating OSU, win the BigTen east, beat Iowa in CCG and CFP committee may give them a pass for their fluke loss to MSU.

ahhh, who am I kidding, Mich is out of it. Nevermind.
11-02-2015 06:24 PM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates
(11-02-2015 06:24 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I'd actually put Memphis in tier 2. Can you leave the Tigers out if they go undefeated and Ole Miss wins the SEC?

You can, but it will certainly raise a stink.
11-02-2015 06:28 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
A G5 team could beat Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State and Baylor in non conference play and still be kept out of the playoffs for "not having a strong enough conference schedule". It's rigged. In fact, there might not even be 19 P5 teams that the good ol boys would "allow" to play for a national title, regardless of record.

THE ENTIRE SYSTEM IS RIGGED.
11-02-2015 06:30 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
If Ole Miss wins out, then what happens?
11-02-2015 06:30 PM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

(11-02-2015 06:30 PM)goofus Wrote:  If Ole Miss wins out, then what happens?

It's a real problem for the committee. Even if Alabama wins out if Ole Miss were to win out they can't even win their division, so how do you put them in the playoff? Then how would you put Ole Miss in the playoff in front of Memphis if they were to go undefeated? The committee has to be hoping Ole Miss loses to eliminate them being forced to make that decision.
11-02-2015 06:35 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
There would be a total revolt, I would think from both G5 and P5 folks if Memphis and Ole Miss both win out and memphis doesn't make he playoff. You'd have an undefeated AAC champion who also beat the SEC champion. If Memphis were left out if that were to happen, we should all be done with CFB lol.
11-02-2015 06:36 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-02-2015 06:36 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  There would be a total revolt, I would think from both G5 and P5 folks if Memphis and Ole Miss both win out and memphis doesn't make he playoff. You'd have an undefeated AAC champion who also beat the SEC champion. If Memphis were left out if that were to happen, we should all be done with CFB lol.

On the other hand, an undefeated Memphis being snubbed in favor of an Ole Miss team that it beat could be the catalyst for an 8-team CFP with a set-aside for the top G5 champion; if nothing else, it at least would spark more conversation.
11-02-2015 07:02 PM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

(11-02-2015 07:02 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 06:36 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  There would be a total revolt, I would think from both G5 and P5 folks if Memphis and Ole Miss both win out and memphis doesn't make he playoff. You'd have an undefeated AAC champion who also beat the SEC champion. If Memphis were left out if that were to happen, we should all be done with CFB lol.

On the other hand, an undefeated Memphis being snubbed in favor of an Ole Miss team that it beat could be the catalyst for an 8-team CFP with a set-aside for the top G5 champion; if nothing else, it at least would spark more conversation.

The best chance for real G5 inclusion in the playoff is to get to 8 teams with the 5 P5 champs automatically getting a bid and then the top G5 getting an auto bid also. Now personally I'd rather just have the top 8 regardless of conference, but no way the P5 leagues agree to that.
11-02-2015 07:13 PM
Advertisement

Hoosier Hysteria 1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana
This is probably the only senerio where the SEC doesn't get a team in the CFP.
11-02-2015 07:31 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(11-02-2015 07:31 PM)Hoosier Hysteria 1 Wrote:  
This is probably the only senerio where the SEC doesn't get a team in the CFP.

Here's another: Florida wins SEC championship game after losing to Florida State.
11-02-2015 07:42 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(11-02-2015 06:15 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Tier 1

Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Clemson
LSU
Alabama
Notre Dame

Tier 2

Oklahoma
Florida
Florida State
Stanford
Ole Miss

Tier 3-outside chance, but only if the committee has no choice

TCU
Baylor
Iowa
Utah
UNC
Oklahoma State

Tier 4 - same chance as currently undefeated Harvard and winless UCF

Memphis
Houston
Toledo

Fixed it for you
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 07:52 PM by AppfanInCAAland.)
11-02-2015 07:49 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(11-02-2015 06:35 PM)pirates4lyfe Wrote:  

It's a real problem for the committee. Even if Alabama wins out if Ole Miss were to win out they can't even win their division, so how do you put them in the playoff? Then how would you put Ole Miss in the playoff in front of Memphis if they were to go undefeated? The committee has to be hoping Ole Miss loses to eliminate them being forced to make that decision.

In 2011 LSU beat Alabama 9-6 in overtime, at Alabama, in a regular season snooze fest. As a result LSU won the SEC West division title and the SEC conference championship and finished the season 13-0. Alabama finished 11-1.

HOWEVER, in spite of Bama not winning a conference championship or even a division championship the Good Ol Boys Club put Bama in the NCG vs LSU, a team that had already beaten them on their home field. Meanwhile Oklahoma State, a team that also finished 11-1 was told to go pound sand because the Good Ol Boys Club thought they could make more money with a LSU - Bama rematch.

Alabama won the game, which the GOBC used to validate their belief that their opinion matters more than actual on field results. In reality all it proved is that if you give a team enough chances they may eventually beat an opponent.

THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED.

one more example involving the G5-

In the summer of 2012 the NCAA rules committee met and one of the topics they covered was granting an exemption for bowl eligibility to teams that finish the season 6-6 but lose the conference championship game, putting them under .500 at 6-7. The committee decided that, no, these teams would not be bowl eligible and no exemptions would be granted.

Fast forward to the end of the 2012 season. Georgia Tech finishes the season 6-6 and 2nd in their division, but the 1st place team, UNC, is ineligible for the conference championship game so GT gets to play. If GT wins they will not only earn a conference title but they will get to play in a BCS Bowl vs a (relatively beatable)MAC team. That's a HUGE opportunity for a 6-6 team. BUT, if they lose they get no bowl at all. Big risk, bigger reward.

GT whines to the NCAA demanding an exemption before the championship game is even played. They want to be GUARANTEED a bowl spot or they are going to be mad. So of course the NCAA caves and gives them an exemption, because the NCAA sucks.

As a result 72 FBS teams were bowl eligible for 70 bowl spots, including GT with their exemption. Two teams (both G5 of course) were left out of a bowl game in spite of being eligible. Here's the kicker- one of those teams left out was an 8-4 Middle Tennessee team that beat Georgia Tech by 21pts, at GT. Absolute garbage.

Like I said- THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED
11-02-2015 08:42 PM
Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
(11-02-2015 07:49 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 06:15 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Tier 1

Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Clemson
LSU
Alabama
Notre Dame

Tier 2

Oklahoma
Florida
Florida State
Stanford
Ole Miss

Tier 3-outside chance, but only if the committee has no choice

TCU
Baylor
Iowa
Utah
UNC
Oklahoma State

Tier 4 - same chance as currently undefeated Harvard and winless UCF

Memphis
Houston
Toledo

Fixed it for you

No way Baylor or TCU gets left out again if they have not lost. Also the loser of Michigan St/OSU and Bama/LSU will be out of the race. Big 12 is using the old SEC method. 3 really good teams and the rest are average or below, but by winning and having teams ranked high. It builds that perception that it is a top tier conference.
11-02-2015 08:55 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I'd actually put Temple and Navy on that list but it'd take a severe rash of upsets for that to come to fruition. But both have the chance to beat undefeated teams in the next few weeks and if Navy won out, they'd have wins over three ranked teams if Temple, UH, and UM won as many games as they otherwise could.
11-03-2015 02:42 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-02-2015 06:24 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I'd actually put Memphis in tier 2. Can you leave the Tigers out if they go undefeated and Ole Miss wins the SEC?
Maybe you can, maybe you can't ... as perimeterpost notes, the game is rigged, so which way they would elect to rig it in that eventuality is an interesting question ...

... but even so, that's an awfully big "and" in requiring Ole Miss to win the SEC ... having such a strong case if they get that much help is kind of why they might be considered third tier despite not being in a Power conference ... needing that much help is kind of why they wouldn't be in tier two.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 04:33 AM by BruceMcF.)
11-03-2015 04:31 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Why not wait until the playoff committee poll is released tonight.
11-03-2015 07:34 AM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
So if Memphis ends the season with this resume.

1. Win over MAC Champ Top 25 BGSU (They would be ranked at 11-2 with only losses to Memphis and @ Tennessee and winning @ #19 Toledo)
2. Win over SEC Champ Top 10 Ole Miss
3. Win over top 30-35 Navy
4. Win over Top 20 Houston
5. Win over top 25 Temple
6. 2nd win over top 25 Temple
7. Win over Bowl team USF
8. Win over Bowl team Tulsa

In that situation Memphis would have 5 Top 25 wins on their resume'. They would have 8 wins over Bowl teams. Lot of if's but this would be the situation that I think the committee would hate the most.

The AAC did have 8 wins vs the Power 5 this year and only lost 1 game to the other G5 Conferences.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 08:19 AM by Tigermaniac.)
11-03-2015 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.