Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA TV deal means less revenue
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
CUSA TV deal means less revenue
CUSA has been distributing $1.2M per year per school in TV money.

That is expected to drop by $500K, or over 40%.

Source
01-12-2016 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

RE: CUSA TV deal means less revenue
Wow, if Im doing my math correctly, CUSA per team income is expected to drop behind the MAC. MAC teams will earn about 833K a team under their renegotiated deal. CUSA schools make 1 million a year currently, but if that's dropping by 500K---then they will be looking at $500K per school annually in media revenue.

I had a feeling something like this was coming based on the overtures Rice and UTEP made to the MW and the rumored talks between CUSA and ASN (who have a very limited reach and pay very little or nothing for sports rights).
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:03 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-12-2016 01:59 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
This puts CUSA and Sun Belt on equal footing. This is a huge blow for CUSa. Looks like the AAC is on its way to be a true tweener conference.

I think the MCW is next for a big reduction. Boise cannot sustain them and the West coast generally has poor college football ratings.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:35 PM by baruna falls.)
01-12-2016 02:16 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

(01-12-2016 02:16 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  This puts CUSA and Sun Belt on equaline footing. This is a huge blow for CUSa. Looks like the AAC is on its way to be a true tweeter conference.

I think the MCW is next for a big reduction. BoI see cannot sustain them and the West coast generally has poor college football ratings.

MWC footprint only has 20% of the population and you have to stay up late to watch their games.
01-12-2016 02:23 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Just to clear up two posts above. C-USA will now make $670K per team (the same as the MAC, not less), and Sun Belt makes $100K per team. Far from equal footing.

Proceed to mocking our league though. Yes, it sucks.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:25 PM by MUsince96.)
01-12-2016 02:24 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I empathize with the schools in C-USA and frankly the MWC, MAC and Sunbelt as well.

The disparity in television revenue paid to the P5 conferences to what they are paying the G5 is criminal. I get the fact the P5 conferences have better TV ratings and larger fan bases, but not enough to justify paying one school $20-25M a year in a TV contract and the others only $100,000-$2M per year.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:30 PM by CliftonAve.)
01-12-2016 02:30 PM
Advertisement

k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Wow, that's very surprising. Typically due to inflation alone you will see a small uptick in pay. I wonder what this means as far as our perceived value going forward. My hope has always been an increase in revenue (hoping to the tune of around 5 to 6 million per team). I wonder if that is a reasonable expectation.
01-12-2016 02:31 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-12-2016 02:31 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  Wow, that's very surprising. Typically due to inflation alone you will see a small uptick in pay. I wonder what this means as far as our perceived value going forward. My hope has always been an increase in revenue (hoping to the tune of around 5 to 6 million per team). I wonder if that is a reasonable expectation.

I think 5 or 6 million is unrealistic for the AAC honestly just because they know they can get away with paying you less for being a G5 conference, but I can't imagine a scenario where you see a decrease.
01-12-2016 02:37 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-12-2016 02:31 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  Wow, that's very surprising. Typically due to inflation alone you will see a small uptick in pay. I wonder what this means as far as our perceived value going forward. My hope has always been an increase in revenue (hoping to the tune of around 5 to 6 million per team). I wonder if that is a reasonable expectation.

ESPN has us by the balls (no pun intended). They are not going to voluntarily pay us more during the remainder of this contract. They are already losing money based on a variety of contracts they are in with the NFL, NBA, The Longhorn Network, etc. They are likely not getting a return on the ridiculous amount they are paying power conferences.

We are also screwed when the TV deal comes up. They are going to offer us peanuts because they know we either have to accept it or take the chance of going to another network like Fox or NBC that will not give us as great of exposure as we are currently getting.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:50 PM by CliftonAve.)
01-12-2016 02:43 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Rough waters ahead. It will be very important for us to put up strong ratings these next few years.
01-12-2016 02:48 PM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-12-2016 02:48 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Rough waters ahead. It will be very important for us to put up strong ratings these next few years.

It's certainly not helping that what I thought would be our strength as a conference (basketball) isn't really lighting it up this year. We really need to be at least a 3 or 4 bid league every year.
01-12-2016 02:50 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(01-12-2016 02:24 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Just to clear up two posts above. C-USA will now make $670K per team (the same as the MAC, not less), and Sun Belt makes $100K per team. Far from equal footing.

the mac makes more

"Though MAC schools public records suggest annual payouts will start between $830,000 and $845,000 per school — eight times more than the previous deal."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watch...story.html
01-12-2016 03:00 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(01-12-2016 02:24 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Just to clear up two posts above. C-USA will now make $670K per team (the same as the MAC, not less), and Sun Belt makes $100K per team. Far from equal footing.

The MAC will be making about $833k per school.
01-12-2016 03:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Good Lord folks. So much misinformation here.

1) This contract means nothing to us. It didn't "go down". The truth is this is the first baseline market negotiated contract for the current CUSA membership. Given that the majority of CUSA is former Sunbelt (who earn about $20k a yr for media), WAC members (who earn much less than MAC schools), or FCS move ups (who earn nothing in media dollars), then the value is not surprising and represents a significant raise for most members compared to thier earnings in thier previous conference homes. Our deal is based on our current membership. No reason to expect a drop when we have actually proven to be a better product than was expected.

2) ESPN isn't losing money. Not even close. Thier earnings are just not hitting the Disney targets.

3). This deal has nothing to do with ESPN. It's a Fox/CBS deal.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 03:08 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-12-2016 03:06 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-12-2016 02:48 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Rough waters ahead. It will be very important for us to put up strong ratings these next few years.

What makes you say this? The MAC deal is set to go up to 800k per school in 2017 and the Sun Belt's TV contract value would undoubtedly go up if it were renegotiated this year.

When the old CUSA TV deal was in place the CUSA had UCF, USF, ECU, Houston, Memphis, and Tulsa. Those teams left and CUSA expanded based upon media markets and not on actual athletic success and size of the fan bases. That's why the CUSA media deal is tanking, not because ESPN is in panic mode.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 03:08 PM by EigenEagle.)
01-12-2016 03:06 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
(01-12-2016 02:23 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 02:16 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  This puts CUSA and Sun Belt on equaline footing. This is a huge blow for CUSa. Looks like the AAC is on its way to be a true tweeter conference.

I think the MCW is next for a big reduction. BoI see cannot sustain them and the West coast generally has poor college football ratings.

MWC footprint only has 20% of the population and you have to stay up late to watch their games.

MWC teams control their markets, they aren't 2nd or 3rd fiddle to other teams. This was pretty much proven when the AAC added teams like Tulane hoping to get a better deal and in fact getting much less than expected
01-12-2016 03:09 PM
Advertisement

ECBrad Offline
1st String

(01-12-2016 03:09 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  

MWC teams control their markets, they aren't 2nd or 3rd fiddle to other teams. This was pretty much proven when the AAC added teams like Tulane hoping to get a better deal and in fact getting much less than expected

Is this a ****** joke or are you genuinely stupid?
01-12-2016 03:13 PM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

We wouldn't stoop to mocking your little league. We're just mocking the programs in it. 07-coffee3
01-12-2016 03:15 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-12-2016 03:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Good Lord folks. So much misinformation here.

1) This contract means nothing to us. It didn't "go down". The truth is this is the first baseline market negotiated contract for the current CUSA membership. Given that the majority of CUSA is former Sunbelt (who earn about $20k a yr for media), WAC members (who earn much less than MAC schools), or FCS move ups (who earn nothing in media dollars), then the value is not surprising and represents a significant raise for most members compared to thier earnings in thier previous conference homes. Our deal is based on our current membership. No reason to expect a drop when we have actually proven to be a better product than was expected.

2) ESPN isn't losing money. Not even close. Thier earnings are just not hitting the Disney targets.

3). This deal has nothing to do with ESPN. It's a Fox/CBS deal.

This.

[Image: tumblr_n15fetyzeW1tq0lneo1_500.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 03:16 PM by BigEastHomer.)
01-12-2016 03:15 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
(01-12-2016 03:13 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 03:09 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  

Is this a ****** joke or are you genuinely stupid?

What other conference out there lost BCS status and went from projected 10 million per year, down to hopping to get 5-6 with sdsu and bsu, to settling for 2? I can't think of any that dropped that far. By the rational above when talking about cusa becoming the sun belt, the AAC became cusa. It is what it is.
01-12-2016 03:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.