Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should USA drop algebra from HS curriculum?
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Should USA drop algebra from HS curriculum?
So apparently the US is considering dropping algebra from high schools. It seems 1 out of 5, or 20% for the mathematically challenged, fail out of high school and apparently they drop out after failing 9th grade algebra. So, is getting rid of algebra a sign of just how dumb kids are or is a course that is no longer needed in the 21st century?

America may DUMP algebra
03-31-2016 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
RE: Should USA drop algebra from HS curriculum?
Once you get it, you're good. The problem is getting it. I use algebra everyday. Comes in handy when I want to figure out how much money I'm planning to make this year.
03-31-2016 08:26 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
**** these people. I'm done with the whole lot of them. If things don't start to change there will be lots of hurt feelings to come at my son's future school functions.
03-31-2016 08:27 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
dumbest thing I've ever seen posited....

goddammmmit......this cuntry is so fk'd.....

redesigning 'who can do what' should be defined by then and 'their' skillset should be the focus....

all men are NOT created equal....so yeah, let's fk the smart ones....

dumbest goddammmed thing I've ever heard in my life.....and living in the 'sip for 41+ years, that's saying something from someone with 'xperience.....

jfc.....I've inherited a land of mental midgets.....knew it.....
03-31-2016 08:32 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
How can they complain about the state of education and where the US ranks in the world, then present a solution that is basically "we don't do a good job of teaching it, so we're going to drop it."

This is why the DOE needs to be eliminated.
03-31-2016 08:33 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
So apparently nobody is considering dropping algebra. This article only mentions one guy who wrote a book. The majority of the article is about resistance to that thought. Did anyone read it?
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 08:39 AM by nomad2u2001.)
03-31-2016 08:38 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(03-31-2016 08:38 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  So apparently nobody is considering dropping algebra. This article only mentions one guy who wrote a book. The majority of the article is about resistance to that thought. Did anyone read it?

I've read this story before. Of course there is a lot of resistance to that thought. It's an idiotic thought but the fact that some educators have these ridiculous ideas is enough cause for concern IMHO. There's plenty of stupid ideas in academic circles which do nothing to help the students prepare for life. This is just one more example.
03-31-2016 08:42 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-31-2016 08:38 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  So apparently nobody is considering dropping algebra. This article only mentions one guy who wrote a book. The majority of the article is about resistance to that thought. Did anyone read it?

why would one?

why read stupid shite from idiots?

ahhhhhh, it's an election year.....

I can't wait until this july passes if not Trump.....if Trump, then november becomes my farewell date.....
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 08:45 AM by stinkfist.)
03-31-2016 08:43 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I guess the school that my youngest kid is going to didn't get the memo. They've been introducing Algebra in the 4th grade.

Also from the article:

Quote:Many U.S. educators, including the architects of the Common Core standards, disagree, saying math just needs to be taught more effectively. It's fine for students to have quantitative skills, they say, but algebra is important, too.

'Every study I've ever seen of workers in whole bunches of fields shows that you have to understand formulas, you have to understand relationships,' said Philip Uri Treisman, a professor of mathematics and of public affairs at the University of Texas. 'Algebra is the tool for consolidating your knowledge of arithmetic.'
Bill McCallum, a professor at the University of Arizona who played a lead role in developing the Common Core standards for math, said he would oppose any division of K-12 students into an algebra track and a non-algebra track.
'You might say only a certain percentage of kids will go on to use algebra, but we don't know which kids those are,' he said.

In New York City, home to the nation's largest public school system with 1.1 million pupils, just 52 percent of the students who took last year's statewide Regents test in Algebra I passed, mirroring statistics elsewhere in the country.

Rather than scaling back on algebra, New York City educators have announced an 'Algebra for All' initiative that aims to keep students on track by providing specialized math teachers in fifth grade, before algebra is introduced.

My 2 younger kids are being immersed in the STEM world at school. So it's not affecting us at all. If it does (which I highly doubt), then my youngest learns Algebra at home.
03-31-2016 08:48 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
There are a lot of stupid kids that go through school - tons that won't grasp Algebra. Tons that will go on in life and whatever job they have - they'll never use Algebra.

Perfect example of why kids should be tracked going through school. The smart one's go through the "University prep" track and learn Algebra and more higher level math. The stupid ones go through a "vocational" track and learn basic math and how to balance a checkbook, etc.. They both still graduate high school - just different tracks.

Remember - about 70% of adults never graduate from college.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 08:54 AM by Crebman.)
03-31-2016 08:54 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-31-2016 08:48 AM)miko33 Wrote:  I guess the school that my youngest kid is going to didn't get the memo. They've been introducing Algebra in the 4th grade.

Also from the article:

Quote:Many U.S. educators, including the architects of the Common Core standards, disagree, saying math just needs to be taught more effectively. It's fine for students to have quantitative skills, they say, but algebra is important, too.

'Every study I've ever seen of workers in whole bunches of fields shows that you have to understand formulas, you have to understand relationships,' said Philip Uri Treisman, a professor of mathematics and of public affairs at the University of Texas. 'Algebra is the tool for consolidating your knowledge of arithmetic.'
Bill McCallum, a professor at the University of Arizona who played a lead role in developing the Common Core standards for math, said he would oppose any division of K-12 students into an algebra track and a non-algebra track.
'You might say only a certain percentage of kids will go on to use algebra, but we don't know which kids those are,' he said.

In New York City, home to the nation's largest public school system with 1.1 million pupils, just 52 percent of the students who took last year's statewide Regents test in Algebra I passed, mirroring statistics elsewhere in the country.

Rather than scaling back on algebra, New York City educators have announced an 'Algebra for All' initiative that aims to keep students on track by providing specialized math teachers in fifth grade, before algebra is introduced.

My 2 younger kids are being immersed in the STEM world at school. So it's not affecting us at all. If it does (which I highly doubt), then my youngest learns Algebra at home.

attaboy....would never have questioned your motives...

the larger problem in scope are those that pump out the puppies and their abilities.....
03-31-2016 08:56 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(03-31-2016 08:54 AM)Crebman Wrote:  There are a lot of stupid kids that go through school - tons that won't grasp Algebra. Tons that will go on in life and whatever job they have - they'll never use Algebra.

Perfect example of why kids should be tracked going through school. The smart one's go through the "University prep" track and learn Algebra and more higher level math. The stupid ones go through a "vocational" track and learn basic math and how to balance a checkbook, etc.. They both still graduate high school - just different tracks.

To the best of my knowledge, everybody has to learn basic algebra in NC.
03-31-2016 09:05 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-31-2016 08:42 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I've read this story before. Of course there is a lot of resistance to that thought. It's an idiotic thought but the fact that some educators have these ridiculous ideas is enough cause for concern IMHO. There's plenty of stupid ideas in academic circles which do nothing to help the students prepare for life. This is just one more example.

There are ridiculous ideas in every profession. Sometimes our greatest innovations come from ridiculous ideas.
03-31-2016 09:19 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

There are a ton of dumb ideas in every circle. That's what happens when you have more than one person in a conversation. The question is whether those ideas have significant enough backing to worry about it.

The premise of this entire thread is that the US is considering dropping algebra, when the case is that it's one guy.
03-31-2016 09:21 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(03-31-2016 09:19 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

There are ridiculous ideas in every profession. Sometimes our greatest innovations come from ridiculous ideas.

Do you think dropping Algebra is one of those ridiculous ideas that could lead to innovation? I think it would lead to a bunch of dumbER Americans who lack critical thinking skills.
03-31-2016 09:22 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2016 08:43 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

why would one?

why read stupid shite from idiots?

ahhhhhh, it's an election year.....

I can't wait until this july passes if not Trump.....if Trump, then november becomes my farewell date.....

Because it's important to read an article before one has an opinion on it.
03-31-2016 09:23 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2016 09:05 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(03-31-2016 08:54 AM)Crebman Wrote:  There are a lot of stupid kids that go through school - tons that won't grasp Algebra. Tons that will go on in life and whatever job they have - they'll never use Algebra.

To the best of my knowledge, everybody has to learn basic algebra in NC.

That's true. There are just different ways to get it. IIRC, University prep has to take it in 9th grade (or 8th if you're AG), College/Tech starts it in 10th after a year of tech math, and Career (who knows if that's still around) have to take it at some point.
03-31-2016 09:27 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

As far as my opinion on Algebra, it should absolutely be taught because you WILL use it and the concepts are important. This is the first math where you gain the concept of the variable, that thing in science, math, philosophy, sports, predicting anything, which can be used and manipulated to get the DESIRED answer.

It's the first time in math, algebra teaches you how to get the answer that YOU want.
03-31-2016 09:35 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-31-2016 09:19 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

The motivation is the problem. Its "Trophies for everyone!" Money for nothing and diplomas for free.
03-31-2016 09:38 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
In OH, the sequence is Alg1, Geometry, Alg2. My middle child was a year ahead and started algebra 1 in 8th grade. More recently, kids in the public school district where we live can actually get 2 years ahead, where they can take Algebra 1 in 7th grade or over the summer before starting geometry in 8th and getting algebra 2 in 9th. Then there is even more room for all the calcs, stats classes available. Also, kids can do the dual enrollment for a slew of classes. I believe that the ABET criteria for all engineers are still for 15 to 18 credits of H/SS. Maybe she dual enrolls to knock out some of those electives. So far, she's still on track to want to be an engineer. HS seems pretty awesome from a course offering standpoint. Hell, she has access to engineering classes that will teach her about controls, robotics, aerospace, civil, electronics and architecture. Plus CAD packages, access to 3D printers, etc.

I feel cheated when I look back to what I had available.

IDK guys, but based on what I see at the local HS plus the schools around me, kids can really flourish today if the children are motivated and the parents take an active role in parenting the kids.
03-31-2016 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.