Idaho back to FCS
04-27-2016 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: Idaho back to FCS
Good move. Idaho should actually be competitive in the Big Sky.
04-27-2016 11:36 AM
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
smart
04-27-2016 11:42 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I feel bad for all the Idaho fans. Team could have realistically been invited to the PAC a while ago if the administration made the right choices. Now it looks like they'll be relegated to FCS. Oof.
04-27-2016 11:46 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(04-27-2016 11:46 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I feel bad for all the Idaho fans. Team could have realistically been invited to the PAC a while ago if the administration made the right choices. Now it looks like they'll be relegated to FCS. Oof.

Idaho was in the PCC with Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., USC, UCLA, and Montana. They weren't invited to move ahead with the rest of the PAC in 1959. It's been nearly 60 years. That's a little more than "a while ago;" that's a lifetime ago. And, the Vandals were a charter member of the Big Sky.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 11:54 AM by YNot.)
04-27-2016 11:52 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
If true, they won't be the only ones making the move down.
04-27-2016 11:53 AM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
This needs to happen to several other programs as well. Even some that moved from FCS to FBS. For example, New Mexico State needs to go to FCS.
04-27-2016 12:00 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-27-2016 11:46 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I feel bad for all the Idaho fans. Team could have realistically been invited to the PAC a while ago if the administration made the right choices. Now it looks like they'll be relegated to FCS. Oof.

They never had a chance at the PAC
04-27-2016 12:18 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Sucks for Idaho. Last time they made a bowl was one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. But realistically, they weren't going to compete at the FBS level and couldn't get a conference home in the current setup. In FCS, they can reestablish rivalries with Idaho State, Montana, and EWU, and they can compete at the highest level.
04-27-2016 12:21 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-27-2016 12:21 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Sucks for Idaho. Last time they made a bowl was one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. But realistically, they weren't going to compete at the FBS level and couldn't get a conference home in the current setup. In FCS, they can reestablish rivalries with Idaho State, Montana, and EWU, and they can compete at the highest level.

They're going to get RickRolled by EWU, Montana, and Portland State.
04-27-2016 12:24 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
No huge loss for FBS.
04-27-2016 12:32 PM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(04-27-2016 11:52 AM)YNot Wrote:  

Idaho was in the PCC with Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., USC, UCLA, and Montana. They weren't invited to move ahead with the rest of the PAC in 1959. It's been nearly 60 years. That's a little more than "a while ago;" that's a lifetime ago. And, the Vandals were a charter member of the Big Sky.

Even then, they weren't treated as equals. I once counted up how times that USC traveled to Idaho and Montana. I believe that it was only once or twice.
04-27-2016 12:33 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(04-27-2016 12:00 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  This needs to happen to several other programs as well. Even some that moved from FCS to FBS. For example, New Mexico State needs to go to FCS.

New Mexico State was never part of the FCS. They have been an 1A or FBS schools since 1977.
04-27-2016 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I cannot imagine anything sucking more than being an Idaho fan and having to work with or go to church with or be friends with Boise fans.

But they were in a suck situation and FCS just makes better sense for them.

I don't think NMSU can be lumped with Idaho. First NMSU didn't scam their way in by leasing another stadium for four years to meet I-A entry requirements. NMSU has just had the misfortune of multiple conferences being shot out from under them, Border Conference, Valley football, Big West, left Sun Belt voluntarily to join the WAC and got it shot out from under them and Sun Belt wasn't willing to extend when it stabilized. NMSU tells the WAC no, NMSU isn't even in the conversation of what to do.

Big Sky is better for Idaho regionally, there really isn't a good fit in FCS for NMSU.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 12:47 PM by arkstfan.)
04-27-2016 12:46 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-27-2016 12:46 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I cannot imagine anything sucking more than being an Idaho fan and having to work with or go to church with or be friends with Boise fans.

But they were in a suck situation and FCS just makes better sense for them.

I don't think NMSU can be lumped with Idaho. First NMSU didn't scam their way in by leasing another stadium for four years to meet I-A entry requirements. NMSU has just had the misfortune of multiple conferences being shot out from under them, Border Conference, Valley football, Big West, left Sun Belt voluntarily to join the WAC and got it shot out from under them and Sun Belt wasn't willing to extend when it stabilized. NMSU tells the WAC no, NMSU isn't even in the conversation of what to do.

Big Sky is better for Idaho regionally, there really isn't a good fit in FCS for NMSU.

NMSU can make Indy work for a while and depending on any Big 12 expansion, NMSU has small chances at the MW or CUSA.
04-27-2016 12:50 PM
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
No consolation, but since they are cutting 22 football scholarships Idaho is now able to drop a women's sport or two and still remain title ix compliant
04-27-2016 01:03 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-27-2016 01:03 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  No consolation, but since they are cutting 22 football scholarships Idaho is now able to drop a women's sport or two and still remain title ix compliant

... only if their scholarship numbers were equal and they were otherwise in compliance already.

Many schools are deemed in compliance, even though they offer fewer women's scholarships and/or varsity sports opportunities, only because they have an agreement with the government that specifies what they have to do. If Idaho is in that situation, they likely can't cut women's scholarships because they're probably still out of balance even with the reduction in FB scholarships.
04-27-2016 01:11 PM
EmeryZach Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMASS
I do not agree with this decision by the school. Feel horrible for the players, coaches, and fans.
04-27-2016 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-27-2016 01:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-27-2016 01:03 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  No consolation, but since they are cutting 22 football scholarships Idaho is now able to drop a women's sport or two and still remain title ix compliant

... only if their scholarship numbers were equal and they were otherwise in compliance already.

Many schools are deemed in compliance, even though they offer fewer women's scholarships and/or varsity sports opportunities, only because they have an agreement with the government that specifies what they have to do. If Idaho is in that situation, they likely can't cut women's scholarships because they're probably still out of balance even with the reduction in FB scholarships.

the only women's sport they can cut, and still remain in the Big Sky is Swimming and Diving.

Idaho currently offers 7 Men's and 9 Women's sports.

Only sports that Idaho has that the Big Sky doesn't require a conference member to sponsor are S&D and Men's Golf
04-27-2016 01:17 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

And have to cut one assistant position and won't have to pay as much for coaches.
04-27-2016 01:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.