Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Tennis at TU
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
NCAA Tennis at TU
Some of the reasons TU gets the priviledge of hosting the NCAA Tennis championships is of course the Case Tennis Center. But there ARE other reasons as well such as Tulsa's central location as well as its proximity to other needed infrastructure inside the city. TU is only about 6 miles from the Tulsa International Airport. Downtown is only about 3 miles with its vast array of quality Inns and Hotels. The dining area in midtown and downtown is great and provides a variety of quality dining. The crosstown expressway (I-244) is less than half a mile from campus and is a natural connector to the interstate HW system. The central location is important in the same way that OKC's central location is for softball and Omaha for baseball. It allows most folks to drive to the venue or have a bus or short flight to Tulsa and the Case Center. If the Case Center were located in say Salt Lake or Indianapolis or Vegas or Nashville or Chicago or NOLA, the distance would increase and the accessability of not being in the middle of the country would make it much more difficult for folks to attend.

Like OKC in softball, Tulsa in tennis is a perfect location with the infrastructure required for the event being performed.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 10:47 AM by rabidTU2.)
05-20-2016 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

RE: NCAA Tennis at TU
Watching the NCAA tennis championships was pretty neat with the multiple teams from all over the nation. UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio St, Virginia, Florida etc. This is a great way to show off the city and university to the entire nation. And there is always room for improvement. For instance we need to finish off the dirt parking area on the west side of Columbia Ave and pave it. It became a bit muddy in spots. It needs to be paved with easy entry and exit points. It also would serve the softball field where the AAC softball championship was held just a short time ago. Also, maybe design a ticket booth at entry points close to the parking - something more permanent.

It would really be nice to see the Case Center become the permanent home of the NCAA Tennis Championships in the same way Omaha is in college baseball and OKC is in softball. The city and county of Tulsa needs to re-evaluate its relationship with TU in this regard and be more proactive in helping TU get events like this and work together. OKC does that with softball, why doesn't the city of Tulsa (and county) with tennis and other events?

Mr Case sure has been a great friend to the university and Tulsa area.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 10:25 PM by rabidTU2.)
05-23-2016 10:44 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

One last thing about parking was that with all the OSU and OU fans clogging the streets, i decided to park in the Kendall-Whittier Elementary school lot and it was virtually empty. School isn't in session now that they (KW) are on summer break, therefore it serves the community as a temporary lot for these kinds of events - softball, track, soccer and tennis. It was just a short 150 yard walk. Unfortunately the 2 churches nearby didn't open up their lots - at least thats what the signs read. Shame on them. If it doesn't interfere with the services, they should be good citizens of the community and help out thy neighbor imo.

Also Channel 6 had a nice segment on the news last night about the value of the Case Tennis Center. Rick Wells, one of the best commentators around did the segment and pretty much outlined what I had said about the event and its possible future. Channel 6 isn't normally a TU friendly station and they probably wouldn't have done this if OU/OSU hadn't been in the tournament, but it was a Rick Wells piece. TU was viewed as the host school and not a competitor, so the station wasn't there to backhand TU or Tulsa like they usually do. So thanks Rick! Good job!
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2016 11:25 AM by rabidTU2.)
05-25-2016 10:25 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

The Tulsa World reported that the attendance for the NCAA Chapionships were outstanding at almost 10,000. That almost certainly assures that TU will host again and in very short order. As long as the attendance, weather and facility are acceptable, I think TU will be a major destination for the championship. And if we keep hosting, there is a great chance of becoming the permanent host. That would be a very good thing for TU and the city.
06-02-2016 11:40 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

In case anyone is interested, the NCAA Doubles Championships at TU and the Case Center is playing on CBS (channel 6 locally) right now. Just to let you know.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 01:01 PM by rabidTU2.)
06-18-2016 01:00 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

More NCAA championship tennis from TU today. The womens finals telecast replay begin at 12:30pm CST and ends at 3pm CST. CBSTV (channel 6).
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 07:05 PM by rabidTU2.)
06-19-2016 12:01 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

One last comment about tthe NCAA Tennis venue at TU/Tulsa is this. A backup/inclement weather facility that is college friendly is located a short distance away at OSU/Stillwater and they provide an extra 6 indoor courts if the need ever arises. The distance from Tulsa to Stillwater is about 70 miles.

The only comparable facility to TU as host of the Tennis championship (as I understand) is at the University of Georgia in Athens which has also hosted the event before. But even if a weather related indoor backup could be allowed in the city of Atanta, the distance between Athens and Atlanta is over 80 miles. And again I-244 is less than half a mile away from TU inside the city of Tulsa with the infrastructure of a city in its favor. Athens can't provide the infrastructure to hold the event like the city of Tulsa. No brainer.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 10:02 PM by rabidTU2.)
06-19-2016 07:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.