Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big10 and ESPN come to an agreement on media deal
Bookmark and Share
dayooper Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan
ESPN will pay $190 million a year for half of the games. They will get the 2, 4, 6 ect. and Fox retains the Big10 CG. Looks like it was a last ditch effort from ESPN to keep the Big10 in its lineup.

Link
06-20-2016 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeaBlue Offline
1st String

RE: Big10 and ESPN come to an agreement on media deal
I'm happy that ESPN got it, but I would have been just as happy if NBC got it, sending the Domers into a panic. :)

I'm still not sure what ND-Michigan mean when they say there are details to be worked out before the series can resume. At a minimum, Delany must have left some OOC dates up for bid (to give NBC a shot).
06-20-2016 11:15 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-20-2016 11:15 AM)SeaBlue Wrote:  I'm happy that ESPN got it, but I would have been just as happy if NBC got it, sending the Domers into a panic. :)

I'm still not sure what ND-Michigan mean when they say there are details to be worked out before the series can resume. At a minimum, Delany must have left some OOC dates up for bid (to give NBC a shot).

Why would NBC getting the second half of the Big Ten deal "send the Domers into a panic"?

I assume the "details" on the ND/Michigan games involve scheduling issues?

Too bad that ND is going to play Michigan again. They didn't let me vote. :(
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2016 02:46 PM by TerryD.)
06-20-2016 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

(06-20-2016 02:44 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Why would NBC getting the second half of the Big Ten deal "send the Domers into a panic"?

Oh I don't know, NBC owning the rights to both the Big Ten and ND... GoR issues come down to just a few away games... You're right, probably wouldn't have amounted to much.
06-20-2016 03:51 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(06-20-2016 03:51 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 02:44 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Why would NBC getting the second half of the Big Ten deal "send the Domers into a panic"?

Oh I don't know, NBC owning the rights to both the Big Ten and ND... GoR issues come down to just a few away games... You're right, probably wouldn't have amounted to much.

No, it really would not. ND football has no desire to be in any conference, least of all the Big Ten.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2016 10:51 AM by TerryD.)
06-21-2016 10:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(06-21-2016 10:50 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

No, it really would not. ND football has no desire to be in any conference, least of all the Big Ten.

Slow day at the law office? People having a desire for ND membership is decades old.
06-21-2016 12:16 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2016 12:16 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  

Slow day at the law office? People having a desire for ND membership is decades old.

But there was no "panic" over the possibility of NBC getting a part of the Big Ten contract, Sea Blue's fantasies notwithstanding.

After all of these decades of "no", shouldn't the Big Ten be counting its loot and moving on by now?
06-21-2016 01:24 PM
Strut Online
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU
Re: RE: Big10 and ESPN come to an agreement on media deal
(06-21-2016 01:24 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

But there was no "panic" over the possibility of NBC getting a part of the Big Ten contract, Sea Blue's fantasies notwithstanding.

After all of these decades of "no", shouldn't the Big Ten be counting its loot and moving on by now?

I think the feelings mutual in that B1G would not be getting your father's ND but a ACC light version, No Thanks!

In general I think PSU and ND would have about same trajectory pre-suspension and all that, so both B1G and ND are better where they are.
06-21-2016 05:26 PM
Michiganball Offline
Water Engineer

(06-21-2016 01:24 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

Oh it moved on a while back, ND to Midwest is like Fredo was to the family in Godfather, he's desperately trying to be special around the big table and you dont really want that around. ACC is definitely a good fit for Fredo, he can be special there.
06-21-2016 06:13 PM
akhosrof Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana/Tulane

Keep fooling yourself, ND is independent in name only. You're essentially in the ACC save some technicalities. Albeit I will admit, you negotiated a spectacular deal with the ACC. B1G fans have more than moved on. We simply revel in the fact ND hasn't won a national championship in nearly thirty years and will likely never win one again.

Or how could I forget, once colleges start paying athletes Father Jenkins will have Notre Dame football join Carnegie Mellon in the Presidents' Athletic Conference.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 05:39 AM by akhosrof.)
06-21-2016 07:01 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
To get back on topic...

There sure is a lot of crow to serve to people around here who declared in such jubilation that they were happy to finally get rid of ESPN and how NBC, CBS, and others would get the second half of the Big Ten's rights. This is a very good deal for the Big Ten and hopefully it catapults into an even bigger deal in six years.
06-21-2016 07:45 PM
Advertisement

TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
(06-21-2016 07:45 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  To get back on topic...

There sure is a lot of crow to serve to people around here who declared in such jubilation that they were happy to finally get rid of ESPN and how NBC, CBS, and others would get the second half of the Big Ten's rights. This is a very good deal for the Big Ten and hopefully it catapults into an even bigger deal in six years.

There were quite a few people but what's done is done. I wasn't crowing about it but I could see that there were certainly some benefits to be had. With that said, I was also really nervous about stepping away from ESPN. It had potential for a bad result that (for now) seems to be gone. I think the B1G could have gotten more money from NBC but sacrificed some money for better exposure. I'm ready to start hearing about the two deals being signed and maybe getting a bit more details about them.
06-21-2016 08:03 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska

There is no crow to eat. NBC had a bid in. Delany got ESPN to pay. ESPN won. Open market produced what it produced.

I would have preferred NBC got a game of the week though.
06-21-2016 08:16 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2016 07:01 PM)akhosrof Wrote:  

Keep fooling yourself, ND is independent in name only. You're essentially in the ACC save some technicalities. Albeit I will admit, you negotiated a spectacular deal with the ACC. B1G fans have more than moved on. We simply revel in the fact ND hasn't won a national championship in nearly thirty years and will likely never win one again.

Or how could I forget, once colleges start paying athletes Father Jenkins will have Notre Dame football join Carnegie Mellon in the Presidents' Athletic Conference.

An Indiana fan "reveling" in anything football related is a wondrous thing indeed.

I am glad that the hate is strong and mutual, as it always was and always should be. Take care, guys.
06-22-2016 06:52 AM
Strut Online
2nd String

Count me as one of those that would have preferred rights have gone elsewhere, even if money deal is pretty good from four letter network; mainly because they always troll everyone else to protect their investments SEC and to lessor degree ACC BB.

Unless they stop their trolling ways I'm starting my countdown timer for 6 years.
06-22-2016 09:31 AM
rjglassett Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers
(06-22-2016 09:31 AM)Strut Wrote:  

Count me as one of those that would have preferred rights have gone elsewhere, even if money deal is pretty good from four letter network; mainly because they always troll everyone else to protect their investments SEC and to lessor degree ACC BB.

Unless they stop their trolling ways I'm starting my countdown timer for 6 years.

Turn the sound down when you watch. It helps -- I learned how to do that when Tim McCarver was calling Mets games.
06-22-2016 10:51 AM
Advertisement

Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
While ND is a Football independent and in the ACC for all sports that conference sponsors; it is a Big 10 Ice Hockey program and Ice Hockey is a sport at which many universities make a profit or at least cover their costs.

Who knows what the future holds. OSU & PSU have Men's Volleyball programs, if 3 other universities add the sport, perhaps Notre Dame will as well and and help make Men's Volleyball a conference sport.

You never know what the future holds
06-22-2016 01:42 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
(06-22-2016 10:51 AM)rjglassett Wrote:  

Turn the sound down when you watch. It helps -- I learned how to do that when Tim McCarver was calling Mets games.

Yes absolutely, am tired of them hyping sec sports during another conference's broadcast. Your university's broadcast is streamed on some platform
06-22-2016 01:44 PM
Rob from NJ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Carnegie Mellon
(06-21-2016 07:01 PM)akhosrof Wrote:  

Carnegie Mellon already shut out Notre Dame in 1926 giving Knute Rockne his only loss of the season. They want no part of the Presidents Athletics Conference for fear of being humiliated once again
06-22-2016 01:59 PM
Strut Online
2nd String

(06-22-2016 10:51 AM)rjglassett Wrote:  

Good tip I'll start planning my simulcast now.
06-22-2016 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.