Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

a book, thread?? books!!
Bookmark and Share
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
a book, thread?? books!!
Since the old book thread is buried in the archives I figured I'd start a new one. Even copied lush's original title which was a great step toward getting over some slight OCD.

Just read Ready Player One. A very entertaining book especially if you are or ever were a gamer. I personally never was, but it was still a ton of fun to read.

Let's see some recommendations folks!!

12-15-2016 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Major ----de Coverley Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: truffles
RE: a book, thread?? books!!
"A Confederacy of dunces" a great satiric novel written in the 60's. The author committed suicide because he could not get the novel published. Post suicide his mother
took the manuscript from publisher to publisher before it eventually was published. A year later it won the pulitzer prize for fiction.

You need an odd sense of humor to appreciate the novel. It is one of my favorite novels of all time.

12-15-2016 09:01 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(12-15-2016 09:01 AM)Major ----de Coverley Wrote:  "A Confederacy of dunces" a great satiric novel written in the 60's. The author committed suicide because he could not get the novel published. Post suicide his mother
took the manuscript from publisher to publisher before it eventually was published. A year later it won the pulitzer prize for fiction.

You need an odd sense of humor to appreciate the novel. It is one of my favorite novels of all time.

Need an odd sense of humor to appreciate it somewhat like Catch 22?

12-15-2016 09:10 AM
Special Teams

(12-15-2016 09:10 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 09:01 AM)Major ----de Coverley Wrote:  "A Confederacy of dunces" a great satiric novel written in the 60's. The author committed suicide because he could not get the novel published. Post suicide his mother

Need an odd sense of humor to appreciate it somewhat like Catch 22?

yup, and Catch 22 is one of my top ten novels as well.

12-15-2016 09:16 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator

“Employers sense in me a denial of their values … they fear me. I suspect that they can see that I am forced to function in a century which i loathe.” - I. J. Reilly

“I avoid that bleak first hour of the working day during which my still sluggish senses and body make every chore a penance. I find that in arriving later, the work which I do perform is of a much higher quality.” - I. J. Reilly

“I mingle with my peers or no one, and since I have no peers, I mingle with no one.” - I. J. Reilly

12-15-2016 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i read that book and passed it to a friend, he passed it to a friend and so on. that copy has been around the world. i find it amazing that someone would hate the book

12-15-2016 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

have you read the good soldier svjek?

12-15-2016 09:49 AM
Special Teams

(12-15-2016 09:49 AM)Lush Wrote:  

have you read the good soldier svjek?

Nope, have not read it but just looked it up on wikipedia and will now add it to my list. thanks.

12-15-2016 09:52 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(12-15-2016 09:48 AM)Lush Wrote:  i read that book and passed it to a friend, he passed it to a friend and so on. that copy has been around the world. i find it amazing that someone would hate the book

Lush we share that in common - my first copy is very old now and dog eared - I have given it to people so many times I have lost count and it has been taken on trips all over the world also. I have no idea how it always ended up back to me. I suppose it was because I told people the story about all the places it had been and they kinda felt like keeping that going.

Probably my all time favorite novel

12-15-2016 10:04 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I'm confused, who is IJ Reilly? Edit: I'm an idiot, that's the character and not the author's name I'm assuming.

Also which book are lush and Eastside referring to?

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 10:45 AM by BeerCat.)
12-15-2016 10:30 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

Donators
(12-15-2016 10:30 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  I'm confused, who is IJ Reilly? Edit: I'm an idiot, that's the character and not the author's name I'm assuming.

Confederacy of Dunces

12-15-2016 10:50 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(12-15-2016 10:50 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 10:30 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  I'm confused, who is IJ Reilly? Edit: I'm an idiot, that's the character and not the author's name I'm assuming.

Confederacy of Dunces

Yep, I caught up.

Already ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation fellas.

12-15-2016 11:21 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

Donators
(12-15-2016 11:21 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 10:50 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  

Confederacy of Dunces

Yep, I caught up.

Already ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation fellas.
De nada

Enjoy - I am jealous, wish I could read it again for the first time.

12-15-2016 11:34 AM
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
I am currently reading Brad Meltzer's books. The first one I read was The inner Circle. Not a bad book. If you like a presidential mystery, i would read it. The second one that I am currently reading is the Fifth Assassin. It is a continuation of The Inner Circle but is much better.

12-15-2016 11:37 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(12-15-2016 11:37 AM)bctn8n Wrote:  I am currently reading Brad Meltzer's books. The first one I read was The inner Circle. Not a bad book. If you like a presidential mystery, i would read it. The second one that I am currently reading is the Fifth Assassin. It is a continuation of The Inner Circle but is much better.

Is that fiction? I know he does/did that show on History Channel which investigated all kinds of conspiracy theories.

Just personal opinion here, but I hate starting books that I know are some huge series. I like some finality when I'm done reading a book.

12-15-2016 12:22 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Just like the music thread I am likely an outsider in this discussion. I am in the middle of a couple books right now.

Im in my 4th reread of the Wheel of Time series. I don't think any series matches Wheel of Time in terms of Epic fantasy.

I am in the middle of Golden Son by Pierce Brown. Its book two of the Red Rising trilogy. Its a real fun quick easy Sci-Fi/Fantasy series...It will likely become a movie eventually

I also am about to start Guns of the Empire by Django Wexler. It's book #4 of the Shadow Campaigns trilogy. Excellent flintlock fantasy with a great female protagonist.

12-15-2016 12:29 PM
Advertisement

bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
a book, thread?? books!!
(12-15-2016 12:22 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 11:37 AM)bctn8n Wrote:  I am currently reading Brad Meltzer's books. The first one I read was The inner Circle. Not a bad book. If you like a presidential mystery, i would read it. The second one that I am currently reading is the Fifth Assassin. It is a continuation of The Inner Circle but is much better.

Is that fiction? I know he does/did that show on History Channel which investigated all kinds of conspiracy theories.

Just personal opinion here, but I hate starting books that I know are some huge series. I like some finality when I'm done reading a book.

He has some non fiction but these are fiction with accurate historical references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12-15-2016 12:30 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

Also, I'm real big on reading books that are becoming movies. I didn't know when reading it, but Ready Player One is Spielberg's next movie. Also, the author is from Middletown and Middletown is actually involved in the story. Think Willy Wonka plus gaming. Not the most intellectually challenging book I've ever read, but a lot of fun.

12-15-2016 12:52 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(12-15-2016 12:52 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Also, I'm real big on reading books that are becoming movies. I didn't know when reading it, but Ready Player One is Spielberg's next movie. Also, the author is from Middletown and Middletown is actually involved in the story. Think Willy Wonka plus gaming. Not the most intellectually challenging book I've ever read, but a lot of fun.

i'm about to start devil in the white city. scorsese's next film

12-15-2016 01:06 PM
Special Teams

(12-15-2016 01:06 PM)Lush Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 12:52 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Also, I'm real big on reading books that are becoming movies. I didn't know when reading it, but Ready Player One is Spielberg's next movie. Also, the author is from Middletown and Middletown is actually involved in the story. Think Willy Wonka plus gaming. Not the most intellectually challenging book I've ever read, but a lot of fun.

i'm about to start devil in the white city. scorsese's next film

Devil in the white city was a great book.

12-15-2016 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.