Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Network is "full speed ahead"
TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
ACC Network is "full speed ahead"
Letter sent to ACC Presidents and AD's yesterday.

David Glenn Show‏ @DavidGlennShow 14h14 hours ago
More
BREAKING:
Internal @theACC memo sent today reflects @espn assurances that ACC has "total confirmation" of ACC Network launch (Summer 2019). pic.twitter.com/23JdowSXM4
[Image: C-71YSIXcAEHTnq.jpg:large]
05-04-2017 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jazzman3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: ACC Network is "full speed ahead"
Great!!!!!!!
05-04-2017 08:05 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Here's some more information (contains links to other ACCN updates):

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2017/0...-5417.html
05-04-2017 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I also researched all of the popular streaming TV options (Sling, Vue, and now YouTube and Hulu) and one thing they all have in common: ESPN on the basic level.

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2017/0...-espn.html

For that matter, all but Sling have the SEC Network on basic as well.
05-04-2017 09:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
orangefan Offline
Heisman

The thing that many of the armchair "experts" forget is that from ESPN's perspective, the ACCN is about growing revenues.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 09:21 AM by orangefan.)
05-04-2017 09:21 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2017 09:21 AM)orangefan Wrote:  The thing that many of the armchair "experts" forget is that from ESPN's perspective, the ACCN is about growing revenues.

Right. From ESPN's point of view, the choices were/are:
1. GIVE the ACC $45 million per year for no extra content, or
2. SHARE an estimated $240 million per year with the ACC.

duh. 07-coffee3
05-04-2017 09:38 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
to do otherwise ...
a sharp lawyer could argue ...
espn in breach of contract ...
rights put on open market ...
sold to the highest bidder ...

PAYMENT IN FULL
05-04-2017 09:53 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-04-2017 09:07 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I also researched all of the popular streaming TV options (Sling, Vue, and now YouTube and Hulu) and one thing they all have in common: ESPN on the basic level.

Yep, this is the point that is missing from most of these discussions. Since mobile aps aren't counted in subscription totals they aren't counted toward profits in the public's distracted minds. But it doesn't matter what name you receive programming under the fees are paid. It is merely the mode that is changing, not the NET revenue per se. Now the NET revenue will change when somebody simply drops an ESPN product without picking it up elsewhere, but those incidents are not as common as have been touted by Bloomberg and CSNBC who just by the way happen to be competitors.

So the whole cord cutting conversation is hyped by those who benefit directly by putting a competing interest down, or indirectly by affecting the stock valuations of a profitable company, which then allows them to purchase shares at a discounted rate while knowing the legitimate profitability of the product. You can't prove intent so its an easy game to play and just a few cents on thousands of shares is a nice sum, and that's a very small example.

IMO opinion the biggest unknown and therefore the biggest threat to the ACCN, or the SECN, or the LHN, or any of our products comes in the form of business trajectory. Does John Skipper remain the CEO at ESPN? If he does then we stay the current course. But, if in the wake of 2 layoffs and the cord cutting hype by competitors, and the earnings miss of the 1st quarter, and the length of Skippers tenure already, it would not be surprising at all if Disney made a change, if for no other reason than propping up the perception that they would be proactive for the sake of shareholders. If Skipper is changed any or all of us could be affected because the new CEO would likely change the trajectory.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 11:56 AM by JRsec.)
05-04-2017 11:53 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
1. I think specialized networks are part of what's fueling the layoffs.

2. The damages of ESPN pulling out would be substantia, as would the loss of revenue. They aren't pulling out.
05-04-2017 12:44 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(05-04-2017 11:53 AM)JRsec Wrote:  If Skipper is changed any or all of us could be affected because the new CEO would likely change the trajectory.

great men come & go ...
but ironclad contracts resist temptation to bend with the whim ...

WON'T GET RID OF ME EASY AS THAT
05-04-2017 01:17 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-04-2017 01:17 PM)green Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 11:53 AM)JRsec Wrote:  If Skipper is changed any or all of us could be affected because the new CEO would likely change the trajectory.

great men come & go ...

That brings up my favorite quote from then President Charles de Gaulle:

THE GRAVEYARDS ARE FULL OF INDISPENSABLE MEN
05-04-2017 01:28 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 01:28 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

great men come & go ...

And a paraphrase of L.B.J., "Why haven't they voted?"
05-04-2017 01:58 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-04-2017 01:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

great men come & go ...

I believe they did JR, two or three times, maybe more!
05-04-2017 01:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 01:59 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 01:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

great men come & go ...

I believe they did JR, two or three times, maybe more!

I think the original quote was something like, "Vote early and often and death is no excuse!"
05-04-2017 02:18 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
This is great news. I commend Swofford for getting this done04-cheers
05-04-2017 04:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2017 04:02 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  This is great news. I commend Swofford for getting this done04-cheers

It ain't done yet... no chickens, just eggs right now.
05-04-2017 05:33 PM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/acc-net...db148.html

More ACC restaurant locations as well. $Gazillions!
05-04-2017 06:40 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(05-04-2017 06:40 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  http://www.journalnow.com/sports/acc-net...db148.html

More ACC restaurant locations as well. $Gazillions!

Things seem very stable for the ACC at this time. I hope it lasts for a good while.
05-04-2017 07:33 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(05-04-2017 12:44 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  1. I think specialized networks are part of what's fueling the layoffs.

2. The damages of ESPN pulling out would be substantia, as would the loss of revenue. They aren't pulling out.

What damages? Have you read the contract?
05-05-2017 08:24 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(05-04-2017 11:53 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 09:07 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I also researched all of the popular streaming TV options (Sling, Vue, and now YouTube and Hulu) and one thing they all have in common: ESPN on the basic level.

Yep, this is the point that is missing from most of these discussions. Since mobile aps aren't counted in subscription totals they aren't counted toward profits in the public's distracted minds. But it doesn't matter what name you receive programming under the fees are paid. It is merely the mode that is changing, not the NET revenue per se. Now the NET revenue will change when somebody simply drops an ESPN product without picking it up elsewhere, but those incidents are not as common as have been touted by Bloomberg and CSNBC who just by the way happen to be competitors.

So the whole cord cutting conversation is hyped by those who benefit directly by putting a competing interest down, or indirectly by affecting the stock valuations of a profitable company, which then allows them to purchase shares at a discounted rate while knowing the legitimate profitability of the product. You can't prove intent so its an easy game to play and just a few cents on thousands of shares is a nice sum, and that's a very small example.

IMO opinion the biggest unknown and therefore the biggest threat to the ACCN, or the SECN, or the LHN, or any of our products comes in the form of business trajectory. Does John Skipper remain the CEO at ESPN? If he does then we stay the current course. But, if in the wake of 2 layoffs and the cord cutting hype by competitors, and the earnings miss of the 1st quarter, and the length of Skippers tenure already, it would not be surprising at all if Disney made a change, if for no other reason than propping up the perception that they would be proactive for the sake of shareholders. If Skipper is changed any or all of us could be affected because the new CEO would likely change the trajectory.

re: streaming services, not only is it telling that not a single one dares to launch without ESPN, but it was recently confirmed that ESPN gets their full carriage rate from the streaming services. That was big news.

We know that ESPN is being carried by these services on basic tiers, but what we didn't know was if ESPN was only getting cut rate fees. But now we know that's not true.

Obviously, there are going to be people that go from cable subscribers to Netflix/gaming/torrents and never subscribe to another system, and those people are gone for good, and ESPN is never getting them back. So haircuts all around.

But ultimately, college sports is a product people want and will pay for. The money will make it back to the conferences.

The sad fact is that if it really comes down to it, they will get more money from those of us that want it. The extreme scenario is boxing...the audience for boxing is now a remnant of what it was...but that remnant pays more to enjoy it than almost any other sport...enough that the fighters and promoters are still making huge money.

I still think the whole situation will stabilize. The market has been disrupted, ESPN has to pivot a bit in terms of their expenses to account for it, but ultimately it's still a product people want.
05-05-2017 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.