Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So with Idaho dropping, whose next?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I could see Louisiana-Monroe next on the chopping block. They have no OOC games scheduled beyond 2019.

New Mexico State could drop football just because they're stranded and have nowhere to go unless maybe they can convince the MWC to take them and UTEP as a package.

Eastern Michigan despite their recent upswing.
06-10-2017 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: So with Idaho dropping, whose next?
Please. Please stop with the "expansion/realignment" threads. Please.
06-10-2017 05:21 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
He gets paid by the hour.
06-10-2017 05:27 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Eastern Michigan, ULM, Hawaii...
06-10-2017 05:30 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Hawaii was on the brink a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-10-2017 05:41 PM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(06-10-2017 05:21 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  Please. Please stop with the "expansion/realignment" threads. Please.

In this threads defence, it is talking about Contraction

We know Idaho(for now), is someone like UMass next(Football)? Is Chicago State(School in danger of closing?) I have no idea.......
06-10-2017 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-10-2017 05:21 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  Please. Please stop with the "expansion/realignment" threads. Please.

lol. Its the Realignment Board. What exactly were you expecting to find? YOU are in the wrong place if you want to avoid "expansion/realignment" posts.

As for the OP, I dont think ULM is going anywhere---but I would say the lack of future OOC games was the earliest indicator that something wasnt quite right at UAB.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2017 05:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-10-2017 05:45 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I know everyone wants Eastern Michigan to drop down, but they have a full schedule through 2020 and one game beyond that. For that matter, they host an SEC team in 2019. The MAC also has the practical issue in that if they lose only one school, they will need a twelfth for football. If Eastern Michigan goes FCS, conference affiliation will be an issue as the MVFC will likely have 12 schools, and the MVC itself may be full as well.

I don't read too much into ULM's lack of a 2020 non-conference schedule either, given that some of their conference brethren only have two games scheduled for that year. Liberty has only two opponents announced for 2020 (only one of which has set a date), and UMass only has five opponents currently scheduled.

I suppose Hawaii could one day throw in the towel, but that would likely help New Mexico State. Boise State will want to move west,
06-10-2017 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Idaho still has two FBS games scheduled through 2023. That's not a schools that wants to win at FCS. Their not serious about FCS long term.
06-10-2017 06:02 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Games can be cancelled or honored despite rapid changes. Heck, what's the difference between an EMU-Ohio State payday game with them at FBS or FCS? Very little.

That said, I agree they aren't going anywhere any time soon though they're just not much of a D-I program or at least FBS. They can't even compete in the MAC, let alone with any of their bigger neighbors, including the behemoth 8 miles down the road.
06-10-2017 06:05 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think Idaho will regret the drop instead of going Indy.
06-10-2017 06:07 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Why, they couldn't even schedule regional rivals like Boise or Washington State much, if at all anymore. They were never a full fledged FBS program to begin with, they just went over the border and used Washington State's stadium for games while transitioning then played in their small stadium from there on out. They couldn't even stick in the Sun Belt, partially due to geography but largely because they couldn't hack it.

What was Idaho's future in FBS? Playing 5 home games a year, including two FCS bodybag games and a healthy dose of NMSU, Liberty, UMass, Army and BYU? They fit in like a glove in the Big Sky with similar small state flagships or programs of similar caliber.
06-10-2017 06:28 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(06-10-2017 06:05 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Games can be cancelled or honored despite rapid changes. Heck, what's the difference between an EMU-Ohio State payday game with them at FBS or FCS? Very little.

That said, I agree they aren't going anywhere any time soon though they're just not much of a D-I program or at least FBS. They can't even compete in the MAC, let alone with any of their bigger neighbors, including the behemoth 8 miles down the road.

Idaho's opponents have cancelled a number of games, but they still have two FBS opponents each year, which is a killer if they want to make the FCS playoffs. The FCS system essentially gives a pass for one FBS loss, but two in almost unacceptable. An FCS school essentially has to win their league or not lose more than three games to get in.

I still maintain that any Idaho move to FCS will be short term, as part of the Big Sky will break off and join the Summit, which will be FBS later.
06-10-2017 06:46 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

FCS teams have proven they can beat FBS teams. They will still have FBS recruits for 3-4 more years, so they can still pull some upsets.
06-10-2017 06:49 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(06-10-2017 06:02 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Idaho still has two FBS games scheduled through 2023. That's not a schools that wants to win at FCS. Their not serious about FCS long term.

Idaho needs the money, so I look for them to schedule 2 FBS road games every year. This is a good move for them, last year was their first winning season in a long time. When Petrine leaves for a bigger school they will have trouble contending in Big Sky.

06-10-2017 07:13 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I don't see anybody else moving down. I think we might see more Independents from FCS schools that want to move up. There are schools that could make 12 FBS schedule each year in places that needs games.
06-10-2017 08:31 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(06-10-2017 07:13 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  
(06-10-2017 06:02 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Idaho still has two FBS games scheduled through 2023. That's not a schools that wants to win at FCS. Their not serious about FCS long term.
Idaho needs the money, so I look for them to schedule 2 FBS road games every year. This is a good move for them, last year was their first winning season in a long time. When Petrine leaves for a bigger school they will have trouble contending in Big Sky.

I don't think Idaho can afford to pay the cancellation fees for those games. It's on the other school to cancel or renegotiate.
06-10-2017 08:39 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Idaho counts as FBS for four years after the drop. The payouts stay the same offsetting the drop in donations. Sucks for the team and fans helps the stupid administration.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-10-2017 09:34 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(06-10-2017 05:41 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Hawaii was on the brink a couple years ago.

Actually we weren't. Dropping football was never under serious consideration. Our incompetent AD just made a thoughtless remark that was picked up by the national news media before he could retract it (which he did). Fortunately he's been replaced.
06-10-2017 09:38 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(06-10-2017 06:28 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Why, they couldn't even schedule regional rivals like Boise or Washington State much, if at all anymore.

We had no problem scheduling Washington State. We've played as often as either school has wanted. They also didn't have a problem with an H&H but it didn't make any financial sense since both schools are in basically the same place and WSU has the bigger stadium.

The BSU scheduling problem, on the other hand, tells you almost everything you need to know about why we'll regret dropping down. Freezing us out of athletics is a huge part of Bob Kustra's overall "zero sum world" strategy, and we're playing right into it.
06-10-2017 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.