Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I have to laugh
Bookmark and Share
Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
I have to laugh
At the naysayers who were scared to death of FBS independence. It would be the absolute WORST thing we could do, they said. After seeing our schedules for 2018 and 2019...why would we ever want a SBC schedule? Independence is fantastic. I was a big supporter early on, and I am even more confident now that we can not only survive, but thrive, as an FBS independent member.
07-29-2017 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
RE: I have to laugh

07-29-2017 05:30 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
Not like Coastal or most SBC folks to admit they were/are wrong so I'm going to link this little gem to this thread, see below. Also I wouldn't want to be in the SBC now. Right now we are nobody's in FBS football and that's completely fine. But to become somebody you have to play well known teams often. Being in the SBC would of made us completely invisible minus a few OOC games a season. At least being an Indy gives us the ability to schedule whoever all season long and be very visible nationwide.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-815102-page-2.html
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2017 08:12 PM by Curtisc83.)
07-29-2017 08:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I have to laugh
That's an awesome video. Hadn't seen it before
07-30-2017 03:14 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
A lot of Southern Miss fans want to go back to being independent. CUSA isn't really worthy of us. Our players don't even get up for the CUSA games. Last year we beat a Kentucky team that would end up in the Gator Bowl, but got absolutely curb-stomped by UTSA and ODU. One ought not need any more evidence than that to conclude that CUSA is a cancer for Southern Miss.

Other fans say **** like, "we'll only get four home games per year" or "we'll never get a bowl bid" as if berths in the New Orleans Bowl or the Bahamas Bowl actually mattered (and as if there were really strong demand for six home games, in this era of TV sports).

The non-football sports thing is an issue; other than baseball, our non-football sports and facilities pretty much suck. That said, I really wish our AD could exercise some creative thinking on that front, instead of just coasting on easy mode in CUSA. If y'all can figure it out, I suspect we can, too.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2017 11:01 AM by AndreWhere.)
07-30-2017 11:00 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(07-30-2017 11:00 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  A lot of Southern Miss fans want to go back to being independent. CUSA isn't really worthy of us. Our players don't even get up for the CUSA games. Last year we beat a Kentucky team that would end up in the Gator Bowl, but got absolutely curb-stomped by UTSA and ODU. One ought not need any more evidence than that to conclude that CUSA is a cancer for Southern Miss.

Other fans say **** like, "we'll only get four home games per year" or "we'll never get a bowl bid" as if berths in the New Orleans Bowl or the Bahamas Bowl actually mattered (and as if there were really strong demand for six home games, in this era of TV sports).

The non-football sports thing is an issue; other than baseball, our non-football sports and facilities pretty much suck. That said, I really wish our AD could exercise some creative thinking on that front, instead of just coasting on easy mode in CUSA. If y'all can figure it out, I suspect we can, too.
AW, your comments are well stated it's good to have others discuss the merits of a FBS team being indy without the dismal rhetoric that mostly accompanies it, mostly by SBC teams. LU is in a different position than most all other schools. Indy is the best route for LU, especially transitioning from FCS to FBS. What would be the upside for Southern Miss choosing to go the indy route?
07-30-2017 03:06 PM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
(07-30-2017 03:06 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(07-30-2017 11:00 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  A lot of Southern Miss fans want to go back to being independent. CUSA isn't really worthy of us. Our players don't even get up for the CUSA games. Last year we beat a Kentucky team that would end up in the Gator Bowl, but got absolutely curb-stomped by UTSA and ODU. One ought not need any more evidence than that to conclude that CUSA is a cancer for Southern Miss.

AW, your comments are well stated it's good to have others discuss the merits of a FBS team being indy without the dismal rhetoric that mostly accompanies it, mostly by SBC teams. LU is in a different position than most all other schools. Indy is the best route for LU, especially transitioning from FCS to FBS. What would be the upside for Southern Miss choosing to go the indy route?

Liberty has money lots of it, Southern Miss is a public university. If southern miss fans need better reasons to be excited then Southern Miss needs to post better records than 7-6. If southern miss had been doing better the last 5 years they probably would have taken it for the AAC instead of memphis.
08-02-2017 07:22 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(08-02-2017 07:22 AM)voss749 Wrote:  
(07-30-2017 03:06 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  

Liberty has money lots of it, Southern Miss is a public university. If southern miss fans need better reasons to be excited then Southern Miss needs to post better records than 7-6. If southern miss had been doing better the last 5 years they probably would have taken it for the AAC instead of memphis.

Well, we won nine games the year before we won seven, and then kept things pretty damned close against a really good Washington team in our bowl.

As for Memphis getting called up instead of us, I don't think it had much to do with three bad years of football. Memphis basketball is probably more nationally relevant and just generally valuable to a conference than Southern Miss football ever was, even in our heyday.

Southern Miss was historically a football independent. Many of us even objected to CUSA 1.0, though in retrospect it was a pretty good conference. The powers-that-be at USM sort of shoved CUSA down our throats, and tried to make CUSA some huge part of our identity. It's not.
08-02-2017 04:42 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(07-30-2017 03:06 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  What would be the upside for Southern Miss choosing to go the indy route?

Well, I gave you one reason already. Our fans don't get hyped up for the CUSA games. The players don't even get hyped up. That's why we beat Kentucky and then lost badly to a bunch of CUSA teams. Nobody really cares how we stack up against UNC Charlotte or UAB. It doesn't matter. They'll never reach the heights we'd already reached by the early 1980s, even if they beat us ten times in a row.

Not saying this is a great attitude, but it's an attitude that's a reality among our fans.

Another reason is money. We can make more money playing big name schools on the road, and minimizing home games. 1992 is a good example of what kind of schedule we should play: Memphis, LA Tech, Tulsa, and Cincy at home (all wins), plus Bama at a neutral site and away games at VA Tech, Florida, ECU, Tulane, and Auburn. There are 3 or 4 big payday games in there. We lost to Bama by 7, Florida by 4, Auburn by 8, and beat VT by a point. Final record was 7-4, no bowl invitation was received.

That's a good season in my book. We made some money, went head-to-head with the very best, and survived it pretty damned well. The fans got to see us win four times at home, but never did home attendance even reach 20,000. Why play 5 or 6 home games if people aren't coming? This is the era of TV anyway. You can bet that a lot of people saw us on TV that year, and were probably pretty damned impressed.
08-02-2017 04:53 PM
Cinciflame Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty and UK
Not being tied up with conference games does have it's advantages. Liberty could play 3 games on the road against the big boys and make upwards of 3.5 million. Flip that money to bring in other quality teams to Lynchburg.
08-02-2017 08:59 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(08-02-2017 08:59 PM)Cinciflame Wrote:  Not being tied up with conference games does have it's advantages. Liberty could play 3 games on the road against the big boys and make upwards of 3.5 million. Flip that money to bring in other quality teams to Lynchburg.

I thought that was basically USM's DNA but then they tried to shove CUSA down our throat.
08-02-2017 09:07 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(08-02-2017 04:53 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(07-30-2017 03:06 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  What would be the upside for Southern Miss choosing to go the indy route?

Well, I gave you one reason already. Our fans don't get hyped up for the CUSA games. The players don't even get hyped up. That's why we beat Kentucky and then lost badly to a bunch of CUSA teams. Nobody really cares how we stack up against UNC Charlotte or UAB. It doesn't matter. They'll never reach the heights we'd already reached by the early 1980s, even if they beat us ten times in a row.

Not saying this is a great attitude, but it's an attitude that's a reality among our fans.

Another reason is money. We can make more money playing big name schools on the road, and minimizing home games. 1992 is a good example of what kind of schedule we should play: Memphis, LA Tech, Tulsa, and Cincy at home (all wins), plus Bama at a neutral site and away games at VA Tech, Florida, ECU, Tulane, and Auburn. There are 3 or 4 big payday games in there. We lost to Bama by 7, Florida by 4, Auburn by 8, and beat VT by a point. Final record was 7-4, no bowl invitation was received.

That's a good season in my book. We made some money, went head-to-head with the very best, and survived it pretty damned well. The fans got to see us win four times at home, but never did home attendance even reach 20,000. Why play 5 or 6 home games if people aren't coming? This is the era of TV anyway. You can bet that a lot of people saw us on TV that year, and were probably pretty damned impressed.
What's the position of the decision makers and admins about a) remaining a conference member and b) considering the indy route. After LU received the indy waiver, I'm guessing 85+% on this board were convinced LU would be doomed. That there was literally no possibility of success, mostly from posters on the SBC board. LU has obviously shown strong leadership in scheduling and the whiners on the SBC board, many Coastal fans, are still tossing verbal jabs.

Can SoMiss have the same scheduling success? Does SoMiss have the strong school leadership and admins as LU? Can SoMiss agree to pay the exit fee to become indy? It would be great to have another strong indy program.
08-03-2017 11:44 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(08-03-2017 11:44 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  What's the position of the decision makers and admins about a) remaining a conference member and b) considering the indy route. After LU received the indy waiver, I'm guessing 85+% on this board were convinced LU would be doomed. That there was literally no possibility of success, mostly from posters on the SBC board. LU has obviously shown strong leadership in scheduling and the whiners on the SBC board, many Coastal fans, are still tossing verbal jabs.

Can SoMiss have the same scheduling success? Does SoMiss have the strong school leadership and admins as LU? Can SoMiss agree to pay the exit fee to become indy? It would be great to have another strong indy program.

Our leadership wants to remain in C-USA because it makes their lives easier. Filling out a schedule would take a lot more legwork if we weren't affiliated with C-USA. So they really do push C-USA on the fanbase.

I don't think we'd have too much difficulty filling out a schedule. We're pretty well-known and we're in a convenient location.

I'm not aware that C-USA has ever enforced an exit fee. Our stupid presidents let the AAC schools off the hook in an effort to be nice. Not sure if we'd get the same deal, but it only seems fair. And even if we had to pay, that's the sort of thing that would probably attract some pretty big donations. Remember how quickly the buyout money for Ellis Johnson was raised. There are certain things our big donors care about (e.g. getting the hell out of C-USA) and others they care less about (e.g. fixing up our arena).
08-03-2017 12:04 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(08-03-2017 12:04 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 11:44 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  What's the position of the decision makers and admins about a) remaining a conference member and b) considering the indy route. After LU received the indy waiver, I'm guessing 85+% on this board were convinced LU would be doomed. That there was literally no possibility of success, mostly from posters on the SBC board. LU has obviously shown strong leadership in scheduling and the whiners on the SBC board, many Coastal fans, are still tossing verbal jabs.

Our leadership wants to remain in C-USA because it makes their lives easier. Filling out a schedule would take a lot more legwork if we weren't affiliated with C-USA. So they really do push C-USA on the fanbase.

I don't think we'd have too much difficulty filling out a schedule. We're pretty well-known and we're in a convenient location.

I'm not aware that C-USA has ever enforced an exit fee. Our stupid presidents let the AAC schools off the hook in an effort to be nice. Not sure if we'd get the same deal, but it only seems fair. And even if we had to pay, that's the sort of thing that would probably attract some pretty big donations. Remember how quickly the buyout money for Ellis Johnson was raised. There are certain things our big donors care about (e.g. getting the hell out of C-USA) and others they care less about (e.g. fixing up our arena).
With all the boondoggle decisions and actions LU has made in the past, and I have been the staunchest critic here, it cannot be overstated how exceptional it is that LU has the admins and athletic dept it has. None of this FBS development would have happened without that support. I'm still miffed by JFJr's alliance with TrumpWorld, but ask me if as a football fan I'm excited?

AW, I hope the stars come into alignment for you guys.
08-03-2017 12:18 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(08-03-2017 12:18 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  AW, I hope the stars come into alignment for you guys.

Me too, man. Thanks. I detect a lot of enthusiasm for Liberty athletics here, so, the future is probably yours to write.
08-03-2017 04:07 PM
Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
Indy > SBC
08-07-2017 10:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.